Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Zombie apocalypse is basically dollhouse play acting apocalypse, because people can not deal with way more realistic climate change apocalypse and nuclear apocalypse.

Also it's easy cheap to shoot zombie stories on the TV media.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

nuclear apocalypse.

There is plenty of realistic nuclear horror out there, what are you talking about? Hell, The Day After supposedly scared Reagan into a arms reduction act.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Mooseontheloose posted:

There is plenty of realistic nuclear horror out there, what are you talking about? Hell, The Day After supposedly scared Reagan into a arms reduction act.

If you have to go back to cold war era to show a prime example of nuclear apocalypse then it supports my theory that people have less and less stomach for realistic apocalypse fiction.

The action genre follow the same line
80s realistic cop action movies > 90s over the top cop action > 00s 10s comic book super hero poo poo > 20s cosmic super hero poo poo!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The Road was also pretty recent

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

If you have to go back to cold war era to show a prime example of nuclear apocalypse then it supports my theory that people have less and less stomach for realistic apocalypse fiction.

80s realistic cop action movies > 90s over the top cop action > 00s 10s comic book super hero poo poo > 20s cosmic super hero poo poo!

There's the current (infinitely delayed) season of Miracle Workers and all the Fallout stuff, but yeah, I think you're basically right. Apocalyptic fiction isn't trying to do Threads or Survivors.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

Alternatively, the cold war is over and there is less nuclear antagonism then there was during the Cold War.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

Well we saw the gran start acting weird behind Sarah but then presumably she went back to being "normal" for a given value of normal for the rest of the evening. Normal enough that the old dude and lady didn't notice anything was wrong until she tore their throats out and started putting mushroom stuff in them when Sarah found them, old dude was still dying so poo poo had only kicked off there basically right before the dog knocked on the window.

You'd have some trouble building a response to a condition that can lay dormant for x amount of time but then when it is revealed, explosively turns people into murder machines that can then infect people who turn super quickly (cause the two victims were up and at them right after) while people are gonna be moving around the county/state/country despite whatever you tell them, panicking, trying to hide/help vulnerable, possibly infected people if they think you'll start killing folks, etc. Paramedics, cops and hospital staff would all be getting super hosed up going into situations they had no idea about until it's too late, etc.

It's presented in the show as being like, by the time anyone knew what was wrong, it was beyond hosed and the planning/response was stuff like the dude on his own with no backup, having to radio in for orders on what to do when he encountered some randos trying to escape the city. It's at least more understandable why this caused the downfall of civilisation than your usual slow zombies who are very obviously decayed as gently caress somehow biting lots of people when generally people probably wouldn't let dirty, bloodied people stumble up to them and bite them.

I do like infection, based on the Boston poster, speeds up based on where the bite happens. Giving plausibility to dormant and immediate attack monsterificatipn instead of it just being arbitrary for dramas sake.

A step up in the genre.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

There's a movie called the Divide that's about a group of people trying to survive in a bomb shelter after a nuke goes off.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Chairman Capone posted:

I took it as an indication the initial outbreak there had come from the wheat itself, since we know that's how it was spreading across the world anyways.

My goon you should really read the subtitles during the non-English section because they clearly showed us a bite mark on the deceased woman, and then had the professor ask but who bit her? I don’t know how much clearer it could be that the “patient zero” is unaccounted for.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

My goon you should really read the subtitles during the non-English section because they clearly showed us a bite mark on the deceased woman, and then had the professor ask but who bit her? I don’t know how much clearer it could be that the “patient zero” is unaccounted for.

They also stated that it was found in the wheat, implying that 'patient zero' isn't important, because there's about to be N patient zeroes once everyone has their morning pancakes.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1619018892701216768?s=20

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

GoutPatrol posted:

Is the cause of the apocalypse in The Road (either the book or the movie) ever stated?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

jisforjosh posted:

Is the cause of the apocalypse in The Road (either the book or the movie) ever stated?

In the book, there's a flashback to the man seeing an emergency broadcast and immediately filling his bathtub with water, implying that it was a nuclear war.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

jisforjosh posted:

Definitely not stated in the book.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Chamale posted:

In the book, there's a flashback to the man seeing an emergency broadcast and immediately filling his bathtub with water, implying that it was a nuclear war.

I don't recall that in the book, but filling a bathtub is something you should do in most emergency scenarios you can't escape from for a reserve of clean water incase you either lose plumbing or flooding from a hurricane compromises water treatment

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chamale posted:

The part that implies the nuclear war is more the bright flash that immediately precedes him doing that, from what I remember

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I remember during that Texas ice storm power outage from 2-3 years ago, some people lost water for a few days. You should start filling the bathtub when you get sign of local power outage.

I have been meaning to get a gravity water filter, I only have a hand pump day hike filter.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

stephenthinkpad posted:

I remember during that Texas ice storm power outage from 2-3 years ago, some people lost water for a few days. You should start filling the bathtub when you get sign of local power outage.

I have been meaning to get a gravity water filter, I only have a hand pump day hike filter.

We sure did. I moved back to Texas 3 years ago, and in every single one of those three years, we've had at least one boil water notice for the entire city of Houston, one of the top 5 largest cities in the USA. Every year.

Apocalypse movies have gotten a lot more believable since moving here.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

Given the number of nuclear apocalypse movies in the 80s that petered out with the end of the cold war I think the more likely explanation is that it isn't as topical anymore.

Also, thinking of a recent one off the top of my head, Oblivion was set after a nuclear apocalypse.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

the road is so great in part because they don't try to establish silly rules or walk you through the mechanics of how society fell apart. it might as well have been literal magic for all it matters to the plot.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Moltke posted:

the road is so great in part because they don't try to establish silly rules or walk you through the mechanics of how society fell apart. it might as well have been literal magic for all it matters to the plot.

Charlize Theron's melancholy destroyed the world of The Road.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Regarding Fallout, I would call Fallout 1 (97), 2 (98) more realistic nuclear post-apoca setting, and 3 (2008) 4 (2015) more whimsical, stylistic portrait of nuclear apocalypse. The whole android plot is basically fantasy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shageletic posted:

I do like infection, based on the Boston poster, speeds up based on where the bite happens. Giving plausibility to dormant and immediate attack monsterificatipn instead of it just being arbitrary for dramas sake.

A step up in the genre.

They were probably inspired by rabies, which travels along nerves.

If a person is bitten on the foot, they have weeks to get the vaccine. If a rabid animal gets them on the face, the vaccine may not take effect fast enough to save them even if administered immediately.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 27, 2023

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I didn't know that, and now I'm filing it in my mental folder of scary rabies facts to be paranoid about.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Platystemon posted:

If a person is bitten on the foot, they have weeks to get the vaccine. If a rabid animal gets them on the face, the vaccine may not take effect fast enough to save them even if administered immediately.

Tess was bitten on the arm. How long did the chart in the show say she had before she turned?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

LLSix posted:

Tess was bitten on the arm. How long did the chart in the show say she had before she turned?

She was bitten in the neck.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Platystemon posted:

Gee, thanks for making rabies even scarier than it already was.
:smith:

How long does a rabies shot last, I’m guessing it’s not like tetanus where you can get a jab and not have to worry for a few years?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

Regarding Fallout, I would call Fallout 1 (97), 2 (98) more realistic nuclear post-apoca setting, and 3 (2008) 4 (2015) more whimsical, stylistic portrait of nuclear apocalypse. T

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sentinel Red posted:

How long does a rabies shot last, I’m guessing it’s not like tetanus where you can get a jab and not have to worry for a few years?

It’s considered to be protective for no more than three years. It depends on the person, and the guidelines are understandably conservative.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

LLSix posted:

Considering she was bit on the neck

She should've turned already, unless that's worst case and/or fear driven propaganda

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Well at least thats better than most zombie media where everyone is doing just fine until they die and the zombie virus does a factory reset

Black summer was just way too unbelievable for me

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

jisforjosh posted:

She should've turned already, unless that's worst case and/or fear driven propaganda

Thanks.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Tess has already turned in the sense that the other cordyceps didn't immediately swarm and kill her. They even noticed she was running low on mouth tendrils and offered her some to get her back up to full health.

There was also that moment where Joel said that somebody in the Firefly squad they were supposed to meet got infected and a shootout ensued. So is there a point where you're infected and you still have enough of your human faculties that you can use guns and tools, but your will is subsumed by the fungus and you kill other humans on sight?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

jisforjosh posted:

That's her shoulder

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

AngryBooch posted:

Tess has already turned in the sense that the other cordyceps didn't immediately swarm and kill her. They even noticed she was running low on mouth tendrils and offered her some to get her back up to full health.

There was also that moment where Joel said that somebody in the Firefly squad they were supposed to meet got infected and a shootout ensued. So is there a point where you're infected and you still have enough of your human faculties that you can use guns and tools, but your will is subsumed by the fungus and you kill other humans on sight?

I think it was more panicked “Wait! No don’t shoot me! I’m not really bitten it was a dog I’ll go live in the woods with my zombie brothers aw gently caress it *blamblamblambalm*!

Making the selfless “Shoot me before I turn into one of those things or I’ll do it myself” doesn’t line up with how people actually act.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I think the pre-credit sequence giving some wider context on how it all went down is a cool idea. Presumably they will use the precredits to show other things to within the 20 year period. They are brief and non-intrusive once the credits roll.

The only thing I thought was that the Jakarta sequence was very reminiscent of Chernobyl's style. Detailed explanations of the problem, a palpable fear of authority, visiting an early patient in terror. I think all of those scenes basically happened in Chernobyl too.

The only difference is obviously Chernobyl actually happened and this is a made up zombie infection so it's kind of funny to transfer the same approach over.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Everybody tryna get at that last of ussy

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I really hope we see Tommy again or get some backstory as to how that goofball survived 20 years.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Bedshaped posted:

I really hope we see Tommy again or get some backstory as to how that goofball survived 20 years.

Didn’t they show a close-up of an army bumper sticker on Tommy’s truck? Probably foreshadowing how his military training/experience helped him survive as long as he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Joel mentioned how Tommy always contacted back within a day or so via radio, until recently - 3 week delay this time - which is why he's so suddenly motivated to go find out what's happpening