Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Twelve by Pies posted:

Which also shows the tweet is loving lying, because Judaism is a +9 for the blue dot and Wicca is +2, so no, Democrats do not have a more favorable view of Wicca than Jewish people. They do have a more favorable view of Wicca than Orthodox Judaism, but that's because (I think) Orthodox Judaism is more conservative than other denominations.

They are extremely conservative compared to other denominations so yeah that tracks with your general point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Neito posted:

I feel like you can occasionally make the argument that Doomerism is the left's equivalent; it's not repeating, but it rhymes, as they say. The repeated points, the thought-terminating cliches, the helplessness but also "I'm the only one that can save the world" type poo poo.

Occasionally perhaps, in fringe or extreme cases.

But I feel like the doomers aren't secretly excited about the prospect of, say, environmental collapse, even more hyperer capitalism fevently and openly dehumanizing, abusing, and exploiting people, they don't actively want the government to crush transpeople or religions outside the mainstream, etc. Just because they can't see a solution to a problen or aren't actively aligned with the steps they see as baby steps so incemental as to be ineffective doesn't mean they eant bad thing to happen.

Can't really say the same about the right leaning extremists.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
SOme dude was on Mark Kaye yesterday talking bullshit about how work is its own reward, identity, etc.

At one point he said something like "if you spend your whole adult life sitting on the couch getting high and playing video games, you'll fail" and also alluded to millenials not working hard and the usual stuff. I wanted to scream into the radio about the consistently rising measurements of worker productivity versus wage compensation and, man, I had to turn it off I was so pissed.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Can’t fail to achieve something you did not aspire to, MARK!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I know this is coming from people who think the calendar stopped in 2008 (if not earlier), but if you're complaining about those lazy, good-for-nothing forty-somethings, you'd think they'd start to wonder if the system is functioning as intended... or at least how they think it's interested.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
"Late Stage" is something that can only describe good things, right? :ohdear:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

I think it's worth pointing out that the margin of error on this poll is 3%

This guy is whining about statistical noise.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DarklyDreaming posted:

The text tells me to believe Dems are antisemitic, but the graph tells me Republicans are hella racist

The text also specifics Orthodox Judaism, because the Democrat approval of Judaism is slightly positive (+3) and higher than Wicca (+2)

Which kinda suggests the disapproval might be over the Orthodox part, not the Judaism part

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

VitalSigns posted:

The text also specifics Orthodox Judaism, because the Democrat approval of Judaism is slightly positive (+3) and higher than Wicca (+2)

Which kinda suggests the disapproval might be over the Orthodox part, not the Judaism part

Group that tends to dislike insular, ultra conservative sects... dislikes the Jewish flavor of insular, ultra conservative sect.

Group that hates brown people and gays hates the religions that are favorable towards/populated largely by brown people and/or gays.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/ProfDBernstein/status/1618400372334399496

Yeah what shining examples of the kinds of people liberals would like. What a loving dipshit.

Decon fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 27, 2023

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

FunkyFjord posted:

But I feel like the doomers aren't secretly excited about the prospect of, say, environmental collapse, even more hyperer capitalism fevently and openly dehumanizing, abusing, and exploiting people, they don't actively want the government to crush transpeople or religions outside the mainstream, etc. Just because they can't see a solution to a problen or aren't actively aligned with the steps they see as baby steps so incemental as to be ineffective doesn't mean they eant bad thing to happen.

A lot of it relates to end times cult stuff in general, like people who think the biblical apocalypse is around the corner, preppers who think the nuclear war is inevitable, those sure the asteroid is coming or whatever else it might be. Whether you're excited, terrified, or just resigned, it still comes down to a similar thing: you don't really have to worry about a world that continues beyond you, and since it can't be stopped (save perhaps by everyone in the world stopping what they're doing and listening to you) you don't have to contribute when other people prepare for the future.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
Yeah believing the end of the world is nigh is actually really convenient because then you can justify loving up the future because there is no future.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
yeah, you get people making nutty statements like this. luckily it wasn't anyone consequential

quote:

I do not know how many future generations we can count on before the Lord returns, whatever it is we have to manage with a skill to leave the resources needed for future generations.

James G. Watt, Former Interior Secretary 1981-1984

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Decon posted:

Group that tends to dislike insular, ultra conservative sects... dislikes the Jewish flavor of insular, ultra conservative sect.

Group that hates brown people and gays hates the religions that are favorable towards/populated largely by brown people and/or gays.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/ProfDBernstein/status/1618400372334399496

Yeah what shining examples of the kinds of people liberals would like. What a loving dipshit.

Oh yeah, when I think of people who are anything but insular, my mind immediately goes to Benjafer Shapiro.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh yeah, when I think of people who are anything but insular, my mind immediately goes to Benjafer Shapiro.

Ben "I literally wouldn't even go to your house because you're gay" Shapiro; known non-insular person.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

After The War posted:

"Late Stage" is something that can only describe good things, right? :ohdear:

We blew past late stage, now it's just terminal.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
:dance:
https://twitter.com/BernardKerik/status/1618573035094835201

"tweeted Bernard Kerik, disgraced former New York City police commissioner who received a pardon from Trump in 2020 following multiple felony convictions related to tax fraud and making false statements."

https://www.newsweek.com/conservatives-beg-elon-musk-buy-directtv-after-newsmax-dropped-1776951

Newsmax off the air and conservatives think Musk or Trump have the money to bail them out.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Elon should buy everything that isn't Republican controlled.
Elon should buy Seasame Street.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Killer robot posted:

A lot of it relates to end times cult stuff in general, like people who think the biblical apocalypse is around the corner, preppers who think the nuclear war is inevitable, those sure the asteroid is coming or whatever else it might be. Whether you're excited, terrified, or just resigned, it still comes down to a similar thing: you don't really have to worry about a world that continues beyond you, and since it can't be stopped (save perhaps by everyone in the world stopping what they're doing and listening to you) you don't have to contribute when other people prepare for the future.
This is a similar sentiment I see with some drug addicts. They think they are incurable, destined to continually alienate and disappoint everybody around them and resigned to just dying a gently caress up. But it's kind of a self fulfilling prophecy when you embrace that fate so hard you don't do anything about it.

In the case of Doomers a lot of them don't even bother making significant long term plans. Think about many happy, successful people-would they be where they are if they hadn't planned and adapted along the way?

Like an addict in a pit of despair, it can be reassuring that you don't have to plan out tomorrow. Every misfortune and tragedy validates their mindset and reinforces how much of a waste of time it would be to try. People like this often had so little self esteem that they get convinced everyone happy and successful must be a lucky idiot, unlike themselves who are just inevitably cursed so they aren't going to let themselves down.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

OgNar posted:

:dance:
https://twitter.com/BernardKerik/status/1618573035094835201

"tweeted Bernard Kerik, disgraced former New York City police commissioner who received a pardon from Trump in 2020 following multiple felony convictions related to tax fraud and making false statements."

https://www.newsweek.com/conservatives-beg-elon-musk-buy-directtv-after-newsmax-dropped-1776951

Newsmax off the air and conservatives think Musk or Trump have the money to bail them out.

What a dystopian hell they've dreamed up for themselves. The Ultra-Wealthy buy up and silence all dissent to their shadow rule while the working class are crushed into endless grind to make their masters ever wealthier.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Well in good news, Andrew Tate’s detention has been extended

https://twitter.com/paulkenyontv/status/1619042124749590528?s=46&t=AIutNcoSa2liZNITypovfQ

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I love that Tate looks like poo poo

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

FunkyFjord posted:

Remember the two weeks in 2020 when covid doom was republican coded before it took off in NYC, I don't think doomerism is too much of a partisan thing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Decon posted:

To be fair, I think the poll is flawed by not drawing a distinction between "normal" Orthodox Judaism and Haredim. I don't have any particular problem with Orthodox Jews compared to any other observant religious people, but the sick fucks who ostensibly "rule" places like Kiryas Joel are absolutely on my poo poo list. Not because they're Jewish, just because they are a weird cult that abuses people. Judaism is really quite incidental to that, in my view.

They draw a distinction between the LDS and FLDS for exactly this reason.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

PT6A posted:

but the sick fucks who ostensibly "rule" places like Kiryas Joel are absolutely on my poo poo list.

I'm always pretty delicate about talking about them (and literally my local big box stores are next door to Kiryas Joel), but the poo poo they do that gets into the headlines is just awful. Pre-covid in the Hudson valley we were dealing with loving measles outbreaks in these communities. During covid they were breaking all kinds of quarantine rules under cover of religious exemptions (that were found to be completely noncompliant with state rules) which ended up with frequent superspreader events. When asked by the media about noncompliance with public health measures they made the inevitable comparison to the Holocaust.

So yeah. Lots of reasons to have a negative perception here. Which have absolutely nothing to do with the vast majority of Jewish folks.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

shoeberto posted:

I'm always pretty delicate about talking about them (and literally my local big box stores are next door to Kiryas Joel), but the poo poo they do that gets into the headlines is just awful. Pre-covid in the Hudson valley we were dealing with loving measles outbreaks in these communities. During covid they were breaking all kinds of quarantine rules under cover of religious exemptions (that were found to be completely noncompliant with state rules) which ended up with frequent superspreader events. When asked by the media about noncompliance with public health measures they made the inevitable comparison to the Holocaust.

So yeah. Lots of reasons to have a negative perception here. Which have absolutely nothing to do with the vast majority of Jewish folks.

And covering up child sexual abuse. And spousal abuse. And "punishing" ex-members by threatening access to their family and kids. There was a goon once upon a time from that group, and even without using their real name on the forums, they were tracked and harassed by the group, and they reported their family had been threatened.

Make no mistake, they are power-hungry, abusive, conniving bad motherfuckers who do abhorrent things under the colour of their self-serving interpretation of Judaism. I don't think they are representative of Jewish people as a whole, or even of Orthodox Jews -- any more than the Taliban are representative of strictly observant Muslims -- but given the lack of distinction in the poll, it could explain the results.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So TPUSA released a college database where they determine how woke your college is

https://www.deanslist.org

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

So TPUSA released a college database where they determine how woke your college is

https://www.deanslist.org

They gave Liberty University Ds and Fs in all of the academic and value-for-money categories and it still comes out with an A- for being unwoke

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

James Garfield posted:

They gave Liberty University Ds and Fs in all of the academic and value-for-money categories and it still comes out with an A- for being unwoke

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Homeschool at PragerU is really their only option.
Wait, are women even allowed to sign up there?

Enver Zogha
Nov 12, 2008

The modern revisionists and reactionaries call us Stalinists, thinking that they insult us and, in fact, that is what they have in mind. But, on the contrary, they glorify us with this epithet; it is an honor for us to be Stalinists.

BiggerBoat posted:

SOme dude was on Mark Kaye yesterday talking bullshit about how work is its own reward, identity, etc.

At one point he said something like "if you spend your whole adult life sitting on the couch getting high and playing video games, you'll fail" and also alluded to millenials not working hard and the usual stuff.
I find it instructive how, alongside these motivational speaker types with their "just set your mind to it and the free market will provide" spiel, you also have figures like Thomas Sowell whose approach is basically "the universe is unfair, and anyone trying to change it in ways I disapprove of is a fanatic seeking to reorder humanity in a doomed effort to fulfill their unconstrained vision of cosmic justice."

It's convenient since if you "set your mind" to getting rich but fail due to forces beyond your control, you can either be accused of having insufficient faith in the power of free enterprise, or can be informed that life is but a vale of tears (and other "don't you dare challenge the status quo" arguments previously put forward by aristocrats and slaveholders.)

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Notre Dame doesn't exist apparently

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Uglycat posted:

Too Catholic.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Uglycat posted:

Oh poo poo uglycat figured it out.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Tucker still looking for new lines to cross in every event

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1619151385249091586

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I don't recall anyone applauding that murder or anything about that day.

Enver Zogha posted:

It's convenient since if you "set your mind" to getting rich but fail due to forces beyond your control, you can either be accused of having insufficient faith in the power of free enterprise, or can be informed that life is but a vale of tears (and other "don't you dare challenge the status quo" arguments previously put forward by aristocrats and slaveholders.)

Amway and other MLM's thrive on this mindset and succeed so well in brainwashing people with it that their members honestly believe they are Business Owners (or salespeople at a minimum) when, in reality, all they manage to be are customers for their own "businesses".

It's pretty remarkable. People will buy more product to get more points and receive a check every month (that is far less than what they spent on merchandise) and use Amway for every single product they buy. Somehow IBO's they consider this entrepreneurialism. Also, when they fail to get rich, they blame themselves for not working hard enough instead of the lovely pyramid scheme.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
i didn't cheer, but does laughing about ball tazing death count?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My thoughts were the Jan 6 protestors were being treated with kids gloves.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't recall anyone applauding that murder or anything about that day.

They cheer when The Others get brutally murdered by Lone Wolves That Absolutely Weren't Motivated By Us, so OBVIOUSLY the liberals cheer in reverse.

It's always projection.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
The only cheering I remember is for auto ball tazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
'Nancy Pelosi's officers'.

Hunt11 posted:

My thoughts were the Jan 6 protestors were being treated with kids gloves.

Any other group would have been mowed down before they got to the steps outside