Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Welp, I guess I know what a cheekbone getting broken by a hammer sounds like now.

I have no idea why the security didn't rush him when he started trying to pull the hammer out.

yeah that was hosed up. sad thing is it wont be the most horrible video released today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

DarkCrawler posted:

This won't stop black churches from canvassing for Biden, for example. I will 100 :toxx: that he will win the African American vote in the next Democratic primary. Biden is the God of incumbency but he is far from only Democratic establishment figure to have maintained their own personal political machine beyond a single corporation.

There is no institutional, organizational, financial or media ownership aisle for the left to challenge the establishment in the Democratic Party. There wasn't for the Trumpists and Tea Party before that in the GOP, yet they have taken control of the party in full and reduced the establishment like Kevin McCarthy into eternal butt monkey figureheads and accomplished major political victories. The Left must resort into the same weapons and strategy - an appealing message to the base. If you're hoping for some single screw up to unravel the Democratic establishment otherwise you're just being hopelessly naive.

This doesn't have anything to do with the left, this is a situation where the centrist/center-left party's belief that markets and private for-profits are the most efficient managers of vital systems is going to be put to the test as they've now inserted themselves between the party and almost every way it has to reach out to its supporters and tell them that they're doomed and all is for naught and can you give them some money. Nobody asked the left about anything here, our role is only to see how they resolve this contradiction and make notes.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Judgy Fucker posted:

Dems running for any office other than U.S. House Rep, U.S. Senator, or President (and maybe some governorships) do not have legacy GOTV machines they can fall back on. NGPVAN is/was critical in their electioneering. You have zero clue what you're talking about.

i mean, yes and no. Some of this is just manipulating excel to get the data you need. NGP/VAN was helpful in manipulating the data. But for lower level offices you can still just get the voter file and work it that way. Also, where I am the state openly provides it to you if you are in the party.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

i mean, yes and no. Some of this is just manipulating excel to get the data you need. NGP/VAN was helpful in manipulating the data. But for lower level offices you can still just get the voter file and work it that way. Also, where I am the state openly provides it to you if you are in the party.

TBH I don't know if Oklahoma provides that kind of info, and I seriously doubt it. What I do know is during the teacher strike back in 2018 I flirted with the idea of running for the State House for about 3 days until I met my legislator, where he told me (in order:)

1) Don't run (more polite, but that was the punchline)

2) Get access to NGPVAN stuff immediately if you want any hope of winning

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah NGPVAN is invaluable for local downballot races, even if the data isn't as clean as it could be. That's why you have precinct committeepeople who are supposed to know their neighbors and keep up to date on poo poo like who's moved out, who's moved in, who's died, whose kids have graduated and gone off to college and no longer vote local etc. Its also doubly so in places where the local party is dogshit and has no idea what its doing, or doesn't want to because the same hoary old farts who've been in charge since the 70s are still running things like fax machines are the height of technology.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The FBI has obtained a copy of the bodycam footage from Tyre Nichols' arrest/death and it was so bad that the FBI director had to come out and make a statement about how bad it is.

Several cities in Tennessee are bracing for large demonstrations tonight.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1619015201285611520

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've worked with a few political campaigns in the past and can confirm that NGPVAN was a huge benefit for them. This poo poo going down with it is a ticking timebomb.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The FBI has obtained a copy of the bodycam footage from Tyre Nichols' arrest/death and it was so bad that the FBI director had to come out and make a statement about how bad it is.

Several cities in Tennessee are bracing for large demonstrations tonight.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1619015201285611520

yeah if what i heard :nms: they beat him until bones come out from breaks :nms: then yeah, its real bad.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Laying into a guy who is 6'3 and 140 feels nuts to me. Not that you should beat anyone, but I dunno how you can construe that guy as a threat. I'm about 5'6 and 135, and I am a pretty lean dude. This:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah if what i heard :nms: they beat him until bones come out from breaks :nms: then yeah, its real bad.

Sounds like it might be likely.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

Laying into a guy who is 6'3 and 140 feels nuts to me. Not that you should beat anyone, but I dunno how you can construe that guy as a threat. I'm about 5'6 and 135, and I am a pretty lean dude. This:

yeah i have no idea and i have only heard second hand information but its clearly bad if the loving FBI has to come out and say so. like yeah their is defiently good portion of "we can sacrafise these black cops for doing awful poo poo, see we are reforming" but even then you see the police union say awful poo poo.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Just hit Bloomberg(paywalled), looks like that conversation McCarthy had with Musk was fruitful.

Bad news if you were hoping for some good anti-trust legislation.
https://twitter.com/business/status/1619053037569380358?cxt=HHwWjMC4jZuKhPgsAAAAhttps://twitter.com/birnbaum_e/status/1619003338368122881

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

-Blackadder- posted:

Just hit Bloomberg(paywalled), looks like that conversation McCarthy had with Musk was fruitful.

Bad news if you were hoping for some good anti-trust legislation.
https://twitter.com/business/status/1619053037569380358?cxt=HHwWjMC4jZuKhPgsAAAAhttps://twitter.com/birnbaum_e/status/1619003338368122881

i mean why would they care now. musk will let the nazis/chuds run wild and zuck doesnt care. i do think musk will be dragged intfront of the house when enough nazis whine about their views not getting seen because elmo broke the algorithm.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Veryslightlymad posted:

I was like 5'10 and 130 and that prompted them to do testing and find my hyperthyroidism. I was a skeleton and can't imagine I would have held up well to a beating at that time

(they zapped my thyroid, I'm fat now)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the only good blue is bluey.

But I don't want an important life lesson. I want an ice cream!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

And I certainly didn't want an impromptu skeletal anatomy lesson provided via cops. :whitewater: I think I'm going to avoid watching this one because holy poo poo that's hosed up.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah i have no idea and i have only heard second hand information but its clearly bad if the loving FBI has to come out and say so. like yeah their is defiently good portion of "we can sacrafise these black cops for doing awful poo poo, see we are reforming" but even then you see the police union say awful poo poo.

Seriously, the FBI going "We have no horse in this race, but as soon as this press conference is over I'm going to start day drinking in an attempt to forget what I saw" is a hell of a hype bomb.

(Also sorry for quoting you 3x Dapper. Nothing against you, you're just so quotable)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Alkydere posted:

But I don't want an important life lesson. I want an ice cream!

And I certainly didn't want an impromptu skeletal anatomy lesson provided via cops. :whitewater: I think I'm going to avoid watching this one because holy poo poo that's hosed up.

Seriously, the FBI going "We have no horse in this race, but as soon as this press conference is over I'm going to start day drinking in an attempt to forget what I saw" is a hell of a hype bomb.

(Also sorry for quoting you 3x Dapper. Nothing against you, you're just so quotable)

hey, its fine. love this dumb hellsite. when i get off work, i am gonna get my copy of dead space and pretend necromorphs are the most awful poo poo i saw today.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If they put as much effort into stopping police brutality as they put in to preparing for and warning against civil unrest due to police brutality, perhaps we'd not have any more police brutality.

Like the overwhelming narrative seems to be "this will make you want to burn poo poo and riot, but please don't" and if they recognize just how bad it is, then why haven't they done a goddamn thing about the systemic problems that keep leading to this poo poo over and over and over again?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

DeSantis seems like he is definitely running.

He announced a major criminal justice reform package for Florida and (for no reason at all) released a bunch of changes the federal government should make to the criminal justice system too.

The package is a mix of stuff Gingrich failed to pass in the 90's and war on drugs policies focused on fentanyl.

He wants the Florida legislature to pass it this session.

The main planks:

- Allow the death penalty to be administered with a simple majority of the jury instead of requiring a unanimous decision.

- Crack down on "rainbow" fentanyl by making it a felony to possess any drugs that could resemble candy and impose a minimum sentence of $1 million in fines and 5 years in prison for trafficking them to children.

- Implement mandatory minimums for drug crimes involving fentanyl.

- Eliminate mandatory bail and give judges more discretion on whether to release people pre-trial.

- Eliminate reduced sentences for good behavior for any violent or sexual crimes.

- Eliminate parole for many felonies.

- Make the death penalty or life without parole mandatory for child molesters.

- $5,000 bonuses for police officers.

- Require law enforcement agencies to report missing persons in the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System rather than just the Florida Crime Information Center and the National Crime Information Center

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1618753596794748928

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DeSantis seems like he is definitely running.

He announced a major criminal justice reform package for Florida and (for no reason at all) released a bunch of changes the federal government should make to the criminal justice system too.

The package is a mix of stuff Gingrich failed to pass in the 90's and war on drugs policies focused on fentanyl.

He wants the Florida legislature to pass it this session.

The main planks:

- Allow the death penalty to be administered with a simple majority of the jury instead of requiring a unanimous decision.

- Crack down on "rainbow" fentanyl by making it a felony to possess any drugs that could resemble candy and impose a minimum sentence of $1 million in fines and 5 years in prison for trafficking them to children.

- Implement mandatory minimums for drug crimes involving fentanyl.

- Eliminate mandatory bail and give judges more discretion on whether to release people pre-trial.

- Eliminate reduced sentences for good behavior for any violent or sexual crimes.

- Eliminate parole for many felonies.

- Make the death penalty or life without parole mandatory for child molesters.

- $5,000 bonuses for police officers.

- Require law enforcement agencies to report missing persons in the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System rather than just the Florida Crime Information Center and the National Crime Information Center

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1618753596794748928

hosed up thing is i dont disagree with the last one. the rest are just boomer and chud red meat.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Excellent time to double down on cops good

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Dapper_Swindler posted:

hosed up thing is i dont disagree with the last one. the rest are just boomer and chud red meat.

Yeah, the last one seems like a reasonable thing and its presence on the list with the other policies makes me wonder if there is some unintended consequence I am missing that makes it in line with the others.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah, the last one seems like a reasonable thing and its presence on the list with the other policies makes me wonder if there is some unintended consequence I am missing that makes it in line with the others.

cyncally, its to get dems and moderates to vote for it(it will pass anyway but the smarter chuds can point to those parts as "moderate") but also its probably a thing cops and other agencies wanted because it makes their jobs easier in a good way.

https://twitter.com/brainnotonyet/status/1618750482931154944

yeah, its bad.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jeffries is nominating Omar to the Foreign Affairs Committee despite McCarthy saying she can't sit on it - forcing a full vote to kick her off.

Two Republicans who opposed kicking MTG and Paul Gosar off of their committees (for attending a white supremacist rally) say that their position is still that people should not be banned from committees for "partisan" reasons. If two more Republicans oppose, then Omar will get seated on the committee over McCarthy's objection.

McCarthy seems to think that every Republican except those two will support kicking her.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1619068951446814720

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 27, 2023

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jeffries is nominating Omar to the Foreign Affairs Committee despite McCarthy saying she can't sit on it - forcing a full vote to kick her off.

Two Republicans who opposed kicking MTG and Paul Gosar off of their committees (for attending a white supremacist rally) say that their position is still that people should not be banned from committees for "partisan" reasons. If two more Republicans oppose, then Omar will get seated on the committee over McCarthy's objection.

McCarthy seems to think that every Republican except those two will support kicking her.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1619068951446814720

yeah, i think she might have the numbers to save herself hopefully. some of the chuds are smart enough to realize that doing this will get them hosed when the lose the house next.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Elon's prediction that Joe Biden has weaponized the government in a "woke machine" and he would soon be persecuted has come true.

It was recently determined that a video of Tesla's self-driving feature they used to sell the company to investors in 2017 was faked. Elon was apparently involved in faking the video to defraud investors and boost the stock price by misrepresenting the capabilities of the autopilot feature.

https://twitter.com/business/status/1619067240422248456

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Elon's prediction that Joe Biden has weaponized the government in a "woke machine" and he would soon be persecuted has come true.

It was recently determined that a video of Tesla's self-driving feature they used to sell the company to investors in 2017 was faked. Elon was apparently involved in faking the video to defraud investors and boost the stock price by misrepresenting the capabilities of the autopilot feature.

Ah, he made the one big mistake Fraudsters should never make: defrauding other oligarchs.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
one rule, don't gently caress with the money

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Yeah, the last one seems like a reasonable thing and its presence on the list with the other policies makes me wonder if there is some unintended consequence I am missing.

There probably isn't.

DeSantis actually started out in the middle before tacking hard right.

New Yorker on DeSantis posted:

In office, DeSantis took steps that suggested he intended to govern closer to the center. He buoyed environmentalists by forcing out the nine-member board of the South Florida Water Management District, political appointees who were considered hostile to environmental interests. He named a commission to tackle algae blooms, which befouled rivers and lakes in the southern part of the state. And he appointed several Black jurists. At his inauguration, DeSantis asked the Reverend R. B. Holmes, the pastor of a predominantly Black church in Tallahassee, to lead the prayer. “I was encouraged,” Holmes told me.
He's also invested a ton of money into revitalizing the Florida everglades and has spent the last couple years boosting teachers salary (as part of an overall initiative to undermine Teachers unions).

That's his thing. He mixes smart policy with strongman authoritarianism.

Everyone that's ever interacted with him has said what we already know; that he's an awkward weird rear end in a top hat, prone to paranoia.

But the scientists and experts who he's consulted with all report being extremely impressed with his preparedness and domain knowledge. In other words, he's a very book smart guy who does his homework ahead of time.

If Trump is the reincarnation of Reagan, DeSantis is the second coming of Nixon.

I hope the Dems get those NGPVAN issues worked out before 2024.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

-Blackadder- posted:

Heh.

e: sorry, I'll try to be a little more substantial -

My insider perspective is grim.

And seriously - because I really care about the nonprofit side of the business and have a number of clients doing work that I absolutely adore, I encourage you to reach out to your democratic senators and representatives and raise flags about private equity's interference in their campaign tools.

Lib and let die fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 27, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They need to get on the whole ‘we put a beta tested self driving feature in our cars without getting it approved by the Feds’ thing

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

They need to get on the whole ‘we put a beta tested self driving feature in our cars without getting it approved by the Feds’ thing

The NHTSA already has multiple investigations into Tesla (autopilot running over people, installing a video game option on the dashboard that could be used while driving, faulty doors, and defective chargers). Tesla responded or settled some of them - they have a big asterisk now on the autopilot and say it is only to be used on private roads (lol).

This new one is an SEC investigation, which has the protentional to be much more serious and damaging than the NHTSA mandating a recall or fine.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

This new one is an SEC investigation, which has the protentional to be much more serious and damaging than the NHTSA mandating a recall or fine.

Tesla's stock is up 11% today, though, so Wall Street doesn't seem to be exactly panicking over it so far.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Judgy Fucker posted:

Passive copaganda is one thing. Now that School Resource Officers (SROs for those unfamiliar) are omnipresent* kids are conditioned to being around cops and seeing them manhandle "unruly" students as early as lower elementary.

Of course Kale's parents probably didn't have SROs when they were kids, just makes me think about how much harder it's gonna be to get public opinion to move on the police as an institution going forward

*SROs are not actually "present" in the school, they will only be found outside the main office when there's skulls to crack because, like all cops, they're loving useless except for brutalizing people

We are Canadian so we just never had those. He just has old fashioned ideas on some things or thinks its the same as Canada where the police are nowhere near as militarized and tend to have proper training in de-escalation techniques or proper traffic stop procedures or really just any proper human to human interactions in general.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dapper_Swindler posted:

cyncally, its to get dems and moderates to vote for it(it will pass anyway but the smarter chuds can point to those parts as "moderate") but also its probably a thing cops and other agencies wanted because it makes their jobs easier in a good way.

https://twitter.com/brainnotonyet/status/1618750482931154944

yeah, its bad.

My conspiracy brain is now kicking in and, hope/pondering whether everyone is over playing things in order to set the bar and tamp down on chances of damage to precious property.

Man do I want that to be true, because this is looking to be terrifyingly bad.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Gyges posted:

My conspiracy brain is now kicking in and, hope/pondering whether everyone is over playing things in order to set the bar and tamp down on chances of damage to precious property.

Man do I want that to be true, because this is looking to be terrifyingly bad.

Honestly i think it could be both but I am a goon who has seen way too many horrible videos of horrible things since i was young so I have a hosed up threshold, that being said the Floyd video is probably the worst thing I have seen. Anyway I think it could be both, it’s clearly bad since it’s apparently like 3 min or so of a man being beaten to death and it’s not th 90s anymore so you see everything unlike with the Rodney king tapes, that being said the department is clearly trying to save itself so it’s sacrificing the murders and hoping it goes away because “they did right”

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Mike Lindell is 4x more popular than Lee Zeldin!

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1619068263257743365?s=20&t=i6YCyYErpYEJ333g5TEGfg

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

-Blackadder- posted:

There probably isn't.

DeSantis actually started out in the middle before tacking hard right.

He's also invested a ton of money into revitalizing the Florida everglades and has spent the last couple years boosting teachers salary (as part of an overall initiative to undermine Teachers unions).

That's his thing. He mixes smart policy with strongman authoritarianism.

Everyone that's ever interacted with him has said what we already know; that he's an awkward weird rear end in a top hat, prone to paranoia.

But the scientists and experts who he's consulted with all report being extremely impressed with his preparedness and domain knowledge. In other words, he's a very book smart guy who does his homework ahead of time.

If Trump is the reincarnation of Reagan, DeSantis is the second coming of Nixon.

Agreed but Nixon won because he played at being the normal moderate compared to the scary segregationist and the Dems in disarray over Vietnam. Desantis won’t have that. Biden is boring moderate and desantis and the gop is too stuck in culture war poo poo that desantis helped lead

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Kale posted:

We are Canadian so we just never had those.

Where did you go to high school? In my Calgary high school, we certainly had an SRO. I don't believe we had one in junior high, but maybe we should've because there was a serial sexual abuser teaching there who didn't get exposed until decades later and it turns out the administration was covering it up!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Last one is too since he's doing it to appeal to human trafficking Q-brained idiots. But in a perfect world with different police it's an idea that makes sense.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

PT6A posted:

Where did you go to high school? In my Calgary high school, we certainly had an SRO. I don't believe we had one in junior high, but maybe we should've because there was a serial sexual abuser teaching there who didn't get exposed until decades later and it turns out the administration was covering it up!

It's not like the SRO would have helped that situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

PT6A posted:

I wouldn't count on Canadian police when it comes to sexual misconduct. That's RCMP but I wouldn't expect local or provincial police to be magically better.