Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Barreft posted:

Nice welcome to the club. Was sad reading how negative you were at first

I'm at the point where my biggest complaint is just how loving difficult it is to gain support points with people. I feel by this point in most FE's I at least have a good sense of the core characters I've been using all game, and it's not like my army is a bunch of latecomers, like I'm still using Chloe and Yunaka for example. However I've seen barely loving any supports with these people that I don't really have any broader sense of who they are as characters. It's super frustrating. Why is it so loving stingy? If anything it makes the early comers worse because when you get supports with them it's super inane conversations about loving tea or working out. :psyduck:

The other complaint is that the UI for a lot of poo poo could be better and not require me to go into submenus constantly to double check, like case in point engravings, why don't you show me what I have on the screen where I pick one to put instead of me having to like try and do it and see if I get the pop up. Or how inconsistent it is with showing weapon's weight.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

you all will stop laughing at lapis eating grass when you do her boucheron support and it reveals that in her home village they were so poor they had to do things like dilute milk with water 10 to 1 and eat plain rice while smelling a communal piece of steak to imagine they were having meat

i actually missed all the obvious hints for her, uh, dietary habits before i did these and after that i was immediately like "oooh. now i get it" lol

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

lmao I need to bring Lapis into my next run

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Eimi posted:

I'm at the point where my biggest complaint is just how loving difficult it is to gain support points with people. I feel by this point in most FE's I at least have a good sense of the core characters I've been using all game, and it's not like my army is a bunch of latecomers, like I'm still using Chloe and Yunaka for example. However I've seen barely loving any supports with these people that I don't really have any broader sense of who they are as characters. It's super frustrating. Why is it so loving stingy? If anything it makes the early comers worse because when you get supports with them it's super inane conversations about loving tea or working out. :psyduck:

The other complaint is that the UI for a lot of poo poo could be better and not require me to go into submenus constantly to double check, like case in point engravings, why don't you show me what I have on the screen where I pick one to put instead of me having to like try and do it and see if I get the pop up. Or how inconsistent it is with showing weapon's weight.

I just finished and all my 14 main party members were A rank by at least 3 chapters before the final. I dunno

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It seems like a lot of characters have a thing going on where you may or may not unlock the support that reveals the deeper significance behind their Official Wacky Trait.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Amppelix posted:

you all will stop laughing at lapis eating grass when you do her boucheron support and it reveals that in her home village they were so poor they had to do things like dilute milk with water 10 to 1 and eat plain rice while smelling a communal piece of steak to imagine they were having meat

i actually missed all the obvious hints for her, uh, dietary habits before i did these and after that i was immediately like "oooh. now i get it" lol

Speak for yourself, I was raised on Rumiko Takahashi works and find trauma responses hilarious.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I made Pandreo my Martial Master since Framme didn’t work out for me. He fills in pretty impeccably without missing a beat

My party at Chapter 16 is Alear, Alcryst, Timerra, Ivy, Pandreo, Lapis, Chloe, Yunaka, Diamant as the main nine. I try to rotate in Fogado, Zelkov, Celine, Louis, Panette, Kagetsu, and Merrin as needed. I want to make Hortensia work but does an extra square of range for staves really matter that much?

Game still good, it might be the one game I replay right away because I can’t get enough lol

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Dunno what people are complaining about their Lapis

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
What's the deal with Jean? Does his extra stat gain make him work levelling up and changing to a new class?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

JBP posted:

What's the deal with Jean? Does his extra stat gain make him work levelling up and changing to a new class?

jean is the same character as maribelle or elise: a second healer so that you aren't entirely reliant on the first one you get

then you can replace him with a good unit in the midgame

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ungulateman posted:

jean is the same character as maribelle or elise: a second healer so that you aren't entirely reliant on the first one you get

then you can replace him with a good unit in the midgame

Impressive. Everything you just said is wrong. All three of those characters are good.

Seriously though Jean's personal skill gives him double class growths so if you want to use him change him out of monk ASAP.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Augus posted:

each new batch of recruits is even more deranged than the last and it owns
"im the only loving normal one on this floating island," alear says, carrying yet another armful of random cats she found on the battlefield

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

What Jean is is a disappointment because between the weird way arts work and the bleh growths of his default class I was not able to turn him into a 3H style walking blender with his fists.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

My Jean is better than my Framme and it’s way too easy to get him a ton of levels way before you ever get a second seal, unless you delay recruiting him for a bit.

I might next playthrough but still.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
lapis is extremely cute and can be very powerful if you put in the energy but she, takes a lot of energy and kagetsu is right there

I do like how many tools this game gives you for beefing up units. Between statboosters, emblems, forges, and engravings, you have a lot of control over everyone's power

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Blaziken386 posted:

"im the only loving normal one on this floating island," alear says, carrying yet another armful of random cats she found on the battlefield

And yet the game DENIES me cat adoptions because I haven't donated enough so Alear doesn't understand the breeds' needs? I even had to turn down a badass looking eagle at my first Brodia map (because I've never had a chance to donate), what the crap is that!

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Blaziken386 posted:

Are you suggesting that ISN'T normal? *picks up armful of cats*

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, Jean seems like a pretty mediocre version of the earlygame growth units they’ve been doing, idk what was wrong with “+X% growths” like Donnel/Mozu/Cyril (kinda, aptitude just fixes his bad base growths) got but he is your second healer/Qi Adept which is probably still better than the last deployment slot you were gonna use in a given fight in practice.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

brb sticking Dimitri on her so the grass-eating weirdos can do their thing in peace

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, Jean seems like a pretty mediocre version of the earlygame growth units they’ve been doing, idk what was wrong with “+X% growths” like Donnel/Mozu/Cyril (kinda, aptitude just fixes his bad base growths) got but he is your second healer/Qi Adept which is probably still better than the last deployment slot you were gonna use in a given fight in practice.

He does get pretty nuts growths if you make him an Axe Fighter or Thief, the big issue is Monks kind of have lovely distribution for growths.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Hellioning posted:

Impressive. Everything you just said is wrong. All three of those characters are good.

they're two separate statements. maribelle and elise don't need to be replaced because you don't get straight up better units than them right when you need them, unlike jean. (and they can leverage their games' respective class changing systems much better than jean can)

jean is the same investment-trap as donnel where if you tried to make any of your other units as good they'd turn out better, and both of the healers you get after jean come with insane bases and in better classes with significantly better utility. the trade off is that he's fine with literally zero investment because he's a second healer.

the other thing jean has going for him is that he's very safe to train if you really want to try and make him work anyway, since he can heal and chain guard without getting instantly killed by every enemy in the game, but by the time you get him to level 10 and commit a master seal + second seal to start turning him into an actual good unit, aforementioned better versions of him (along with three or more other insane recruits) will have shown up, and your supply of seals is NOT generous enough to blow two of them on him compared to promoting diamant, alcryst, chloe, louis, the level 17 joiners, framme, or even second sealing anna into a mage

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Blaziken386 posted:

The best part of the adoptions are when you've had a map in a town or somewhere that makes it through just fine, like Ch4 or Jean's paralogue or whatever. Like you can't tell me those aren't her walking up to some guy's pet dog or one of a farmer's sheep, going "mine now!" and getting away with it by being dragonjesus, and it's a hilarious mental image to me.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Lotsa mods starting up lol
https://gamebanana.com/games/17832

No makeup, dont like it

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

What is the point of Panette without makeup.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I wonder how many people were first exposed to Lyn through her appearances in crossovers where she's the de-facto face of FE7, only to go back and actually play FE7 and find out that she only gets to be the main character for a low-stakes tutorial story that's over in like 3 hours

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Barreft posted:

Lotsa mods starting up lol
https://gamebanana.com/games/17832

No makeup, dont like it

what the gently caress

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Hellioning posted:

What is the point of Panette without makeup.

annette goes to hot topic

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

imo it's kind of funny that Emblem Corrin's Dragon Vein works the way we all thought they would back in FE16's reign

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
did leif and micaiah's paralogues today

those maps are not made for lategame teams, lol.
Micaiah's map is much more intimidating in RD, because the dawn brigade is largely mediocre stat-wise, and the greil mercenaries are terrifying. It's a much better defense map when you're forced into the role of scrappy underdogs, but by the time you can do it you've got a team full of unstoppable wrecking balls. Granted, I'm playing on normal, but the later story chapters have been wrecking my poo poo, so I'd expected a little more.
Leif's was extra funny though because one simple warp chain later and Rosado has crossed the lake, stabbed the ballistician in the throat, and is murdering his way through Leif's guards while Ivy and Hortensia aren't far behind. Meanwhile, Louis & Sigurd have slingshotted themselves onto the bridge down south and are singlehandedly skewering every cavalryman in the neighborhood because whoops, Leif forgot to bring any mages.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Oh dang, the final map is actually weirdly simple and easy after the maps proceeding it.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Why the hell don't Jade and Chloe have any supports? Every few maps I forget and try to have a meal to introduce the two to each other and am flabbergasted all over again.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Eimi posted:

Yeah like I am the game's biggest detractor pre-launch, I'm glad I kept up with spoilers and gave it a shot. The game is good. As others have said all the worst stuff is at the front of the game, you can ditch those losers, the game throws powerful prepromotes at you, and once you get to Brodia the characters are good. Also nthing keeping Yunaka, she's by far the best early member of the cast aside from Alear themself.

I legitimately don't understand what's supposed to make the Brodia characters more interesting than the Firene ones. They have the exact same forward-facing heavily emphasized character gimmick that defines their entire character until you actually hang out with them and unlock supports. Alcryst in particular is initially introduced as a slapstick cartoon character. Hell, Diamant's character trait is just being kind of a very generic Good Strong Handsome Prince until you dig into his supports.

It's doing the Firene characters a very big disservice, because many of their supports are very good.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 28, 2023

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

mostly the game just starts working when you hit the dynamic between diamant, alcryst and their dad, whereas celine and alfred are kind of dull and their mom sucks. louis and chloe are pretty good with the caveat of being quite awakening-esque.

more relevantly, the plot is still a little vague during firene between the undead everywhere, the overly delayed realisation that elusia is behind it, and veyle's whole thing, which immediately tightens up when hortensia and ivy shows up to be Rita Repulsa to your face (compared to Zephia, who is Rita Repulsa off the battlefield)

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I immediately benched Diamant and therefor know nothing about him but 'is serious', 'loves his dad and brother', and 'likes fishing'. I will conclude this is all there is to him.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ungulateman posted:

mostly the game just starts working when you hit the dynamic between diamant, alcryst and their dad, whereas celine and alfred are kind of dull and their mom sucks. louis and chloe are pretty good with the caveat of being quite awakening-esque.

more relevantly, the plot is still a little vague during firene between the undead everywhere, the overly delayed realisation that elusia is behind it, and veyle's whole thing, which immediately tightens up when hortensia and ivy shows up to be Rita Repulsa to your face (compared to Zephia, who is Rita Repulsa off the battlefield)

The Brodia royal family dynamic is almost the exact same as Firene's on the surface. They all love each other and rely on each other, the younger sibling has hidden virtues that both the older sibling and the parent admire and trust in(Morion clearly favors Alcryst despite Alcryst's hangups and Eve trusts Celine with the country's ring instead of Alfred), both the children want to keep their parent out of danger, etc. The only real difference is that Morion is really desperate to go get himself killed because he loves fighting and Eve is not because she doesn't.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
They need to add costumes for combat because I wanna reclass Panette but her default is too good

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Got bored and did some math.

Bottom 5 characters with the lowest total growths
1. Vander - 225
2. Etie - 230
3. Saphir - 235
4. Jean - 240
5. Citrinne - 240

Top 5 characters with the highest total growths
1. Mauvier - 345
2. Anna - 325
3. Kagetsu - 320
4. Chloe - 315
5. Rosado - 315

Two classes with growth totals at/over 100: Avenir - 100, General - 105

Lowest growth totals for a base class: Wing Tamer (Ivy edition) - 55
Lowest growth totals for a promoted class: Lindwurm - 75

None of this should necessarily be taken to mean anything important, as it obviously doesn't factor in base stats or the actual distribution of the growths. Like the #1 character in growths there has a huge chunk of them devoted to DEX and MAG (40% growths in both), which aren't exactly the most relevant things to their starting Royal Knight class. And Jean obviously doubles his class growths, so him being in the bottom 4 isn't too big a deal if you want to use him.

Some idle notes though. Ivy gets somewhat screwed overall, as she's not exactly got impressive personal growths (265) and her personal classes are also the lowest growths in the game - the class growths are also extremely heavily weighted towards MAG and RES, so her combined HP and SPD growths are very shaky. Meanwhile, I don't know what the hell was up with Kagetsu's designers, but aside from having absolutely cracked base stats he's also been given some of the highest growths in the game - like, assuming you keep him in Swordmaster he's got 70% HP, 40% STR, 65% DEX, 70% SPD, 40% DEF, 40% RES, 55% LCK. MAG is garbage, but who goddamn cares about that.

edit: Technically I suppose the numbers could be useful for Maddening, since that's fixed growth the first time through so knowing just how many stats each unit will get depending on their base + classes total might be relevant for planning.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 28, 2023

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

hosed up that chloe puts a shirt on when she promotes

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

ungulateman posted:

hosed up that chloe puts a shirt on when she promotes

meanwhile the male griffin knights:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Kanos posted:

I legitimately don't understand what's supposed to make the Brodia characters more interesting than the Firene ones. They have the exact same forward-facing heavily emphasized character gimmick that defines their entire character until you actually hang out with them and unlock supports. Alcryst in particular is initially introduced as a slapstick cartoon character. Hell, Diamant's character trait is just being kind of a very generic Good Strong Handsome Prince until you dig into his supports.

It's doing the Firene characters a very big disservice, because many of their supports are very good.

I just saw the first parts of their supports and basically benched all of them but Chloe because they were dire. And for me while Alcryst's introduction is probably the single worst moment in the game, he's still Bernadetta but a guy a character I liked, and overall the Brodian characters are much more serious, which is why they are endearing to me. Of course I'm on chapter 20, have only a handful of B supports in general and just feel like I'm going to miss a frustrating amount of supports. I'm tempted to just put Micaiah on Alear to farm support points even if I'd rather have Eirika on her.