Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Srice posted:

And while there's cool stuff about those other handhelds, they can have multiple versions with notable differences and meanwhile power-wise the Deck is the Deck no matter what model you get. Being able to just look up a game and get a very definitive answer on how it runs on the Deck is lowkey a really nice feature.

Yeah, Taki Udon calls this the "winning team" advantage. If you have a problem with something on the Deck, you can look it up online and probably find a solution pretty quickly because everyone's running the same software on the same hardware for the most part. Whereas if you have a problem with the Ayaneo 2 there's way fewer people using it so a way smaller knowledge base to get answers from. You also know the hardware is going to be supported for some time and not replaced within a few months, Ayaneo alone put out 4 different devices last year.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Parallelwoody posted:

Is the steam deck still the best product for pc gaming on the go compared to some of these other things that have come out? I'm having to travel a lot more for work and I don't want to haul my computer and monitor around.

1000%

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Barreft posted:

Does anyone have one of these?
https://deckmate.me/products/deck-mate-entire-system

Want it mostly for the kickstand and battery pack connector

I’ve got one. I pretty much just use it for the kickstand and the extra microsd storage for my emulator card. It’s quite nice - was there something specific you wanted to know about it?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

jokes posted:

Any trip reports on dead space?

It runs but it doesn't do so well when put on a TV. If you play at the normal resolution it looks like Doom 3, if you bump it up there is a loooot of stuttering and crashing when you are being charged by necromorphs.

That being said, that was streaming to a TV, so the handheld is better at least graphically.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Think I’ve spent more time trying to get Colecovision games to work than playing regular games.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Vegastar posted:

I’ve got one. I pretty much just use it for the kickstand and the extra microsd storage for my emulator card. It’s quite nice - was there something specific you wanted to know about it?

Just if the quality is worth the price. Good to hear

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Barreft posted:

Just if the quality is worth the price. Good to hear

Great quality and worth the price I think. Note that you can order a la carte if you just want the kickstand. I mostly use the 3m tape adapter that lets me attach a battery and my AR Lens adapter to the back of it when traveling.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Any recommendations on which version of the deck to get?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Parallelwoody posted:

If you're comfortable cracking it open to replace the SSD yourself or installing everything on an SD card, 64gb. If not, 256. If you're asking the question, you're probably not considering the 512.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I'm open to any of them if they are considered worth it. Looks like the biggest parts of the 650 version are a bigger/faster hard drive and different glass for the screen? If it's not a hassle to change out the hard drive then I'm not particularly concerned with cracking it open either though.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Parallelwoody posted:

I'm open to any of them if they are considered worth it. Looks like the biggest parts of the 650 version are a bigger/faster hard drive and different glass for the screen? If it's not a hassle to change out the hard drive then I'm not particularly concerned with cracking it open either though.

It's not too difficult to open it up, just have to be a little gentle with the clips as you're prying open and after that, it's a few screws away from swapping the SSD. Simple.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Changing the drive is just a case of taking off the back panel and then it's a normal SSD slot, though only uses the short SSD format. If you're happy doing that then get the 64gb version and buy a compatible 1tb NVMe drive.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

JSAUX replacement transparent backplate:

I thought I was buying this thing for the high profile back buttons. In practice they screw up the ergonomics of the system if they're not nearly flush with the grip. Whoops. I do find the JSAUX flush buttons less stiff and easier to click than the default ones, though

I like the overall look and feel and the heat plate doesn't bother me so it's not the worst 30 bucks I've ever wasted

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Here's another option for Dreck-compatible 3rd-party PSUs. 60""65""-watt Anker, 2 for $30, so the same price as those 45 W ones I linked but a different form factor and more maximum output so greater compatibility with other devices. Still BYO cable though.

jokes posted:

Also, for people contemplating the 64GB, it might be better to get a better SSD instead of using an SD card, for 1TB they're roughly the same price.

Do both. There's no reason (other than price I guess) not to buy the 64 GB version, upgrade the SSD, and add a microSD card too.

Beastie posted:

I have never played a MechWarrior game in earnest but I'm playing 5 now on Deck and it loving rules.

Marx Headroom posted:

I'm wrestling with Mechwarrior 3 (the display is rotated in desktop mode due to a resolution issue somewhere, but when you run it in gaming mode there's a glitch where the skybox takes up the entire FOV) but that game in particular has always been a nightmare to run properly and it's frankly a miracle the Deck can run it at all.

I played MW2 as a kid (MW1 was before my time I guess.) I could never finish it; late in both campaigns I couldn't get past specific missions. For the Falcon campaign there was one mission where I had to chase & destroy a dropship while enemy mechs were shooting me in the rear, and I guess that one was just too tough. For the Wolf campaign, there was a mission on the moon where you had to destroy some mechs while not destroying the lunar base's protective dome...except the mechs spawned inside the dome and destroyed it themselves. That was long before you could just download a patch to fix a buggy game, unfortunately. :sigh:

I loved MW3, with the salvage and logistics mechanics. Other than that, it was a more polished version of MW2, with the wonky "mount weapons anywhere" system instead of the more realistic ones we have in more modern games. But no kidding about it being a pain in the rear end to run; that guide you linked has 51 steps to get it running on the Dreck! :eyepop:

History Comes Inside! posted:

I can’t imagine playing any mechwarrior without a mouse and keyboard (or some sort of HOTAS) because that sounds like just asking for a terrible, clumsy time

Yeah, I used to play MW2 with the keyboard (and then MW3 with a mouse, particularly with the added arm aiming mechanic.) I understand some people apparently played those games with a joystick, which still to this day seems strange to me. :shrug:

Basic Chunnel posted:

It briefly seemed as though they really understood what abt the original game was so mortifying (that it even beat out Adam Jensen in the “what programmers think is cool” character design arms race). Naturally Aiden Pierce gets to unironically show up Poochie style anyway

Regarding Adam Jensen's character design...I'm not sure how widely known this is, but he's more or less based on the art director rather than it having anything to do with what "programmers think is cool."

Parallelwoody posted:

64 GB - if you're definitely going to upgrade the internal SSD
512 GB - if you're definitely not going to upgrade the internal SSD
256 GB - if you're not sure if you're going to upgrade the internal SSD

The base model is definitely worth it considering the performance is the same between all of them, the storage upgrades are your typical overpriced laptop-style options, and the other differences between the models aren't worth much.

Parallelwoody posted:

The Dreck has an SSD, not a hard drive. (lol) Also, the performance of the SSD is irrelevant, you're not going to notice the difference between the 3 variants.

If you do end up opening up your Dreck, remember to:
1. Power it down first, and
2. Remove the microSD card unless you want to slice it in half.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dead Space Remake chat: the game runs really well…. After like one hour. There’s no real shader compiling taking place at the start so the game stutters and freezes something fierce while the shader library builds. It’s…. Rough. Real loving rough. Then once it stabilizes it stays around 40-50 up until you hit something new and the stutter comes back. It wasn’t until about an hour in that the stutters pretty much went away since I guess enough assets had been rendered.

Also the map is bugged and will crash to desktop if you try to use it. So uh… feel feee to hold off on buying it if you plan to play it exclusively on the Deck or aren’t willing to deal with a pretty bad start from a technical standpoint. It does smooth out and runs great once it gets past that hump.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
So the earbuds I own don't work well with the steam deck. There's a good 500-750 ms of latency, which is unacceptable for gaming, watching videos, or pretty much anything synced with video.

From the looking around it seems that there's a particular codec that works well with the deck that my buds do not support. Does anybody have a pair they use that they recommend? I don't want a full on headset because I'm aiming for portability here.

e: I'm looking at these based on a reddit post, but definitely open to input/other recommendations. As someone with a physics degree and autism, I'm disinclined to buy anything that uses the word 'quantum' as a meaningless marketing term just because it annoys me, but if these are the best option, I'll do it anyway.

skeletronics fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 28, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Anker make a pair of earbuds that use a USB-C dongle, it's designed for the Oculus Quest but would work fine on the Deck and if you're after low latency above all else and buying buds specifically for Deck use then 2.4ghz is the way to go. I've been relatively happy with the Soundcore stuff I've owned over the years. If you're spending over $100 though you should probably just get the Samsung Galaxy Buds 2, because basically any decent pair of wireless buds will have some way of compensating for lag at this point, even in gaming. My Airpods Pro for example work perfectly fine.
https://uk.soundcore.com/products/vr-p10-a3850g21

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

How’s the official dock?

I want to occasionally port the deck to my TV for multiplayer and stuff, and have an easier charging setup.

I don’t mind the price as long as it’s pretty reliable.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I own a USB hard drive for backups and stuff. Could I just plug it in to the Deck and have it recognised if I want to transfer files that way? I know there are better networking ways to do it but just out of interest.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Quarterroys posted:

How’s the official dock?

I want to occasionally port the deck to my TV for multiplayer and stuff, and have an easier charging setup.

I don’t mind the price as long as it’s pretty reliable.

I've not had any issues with it, and they've been adding features to it over time which you're probably not going to get from third party docks.

HopperUK posted:

I own a USB hard drive for backups and stuff. Could I just plug it in to the Deck and have it recognised if I want to transfer files that way? I know there are better networking ways to do it but just out of interest.

Yep, I use a WD Elements portable drive to transfer large groups of files and its recognised perfectly fine.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

njsykora posted:

I've not had any issues with it, and they've been adding features to it over time which you're probably not going to get from third party docks.

Yep, I use a WD Elements portable drive to transfer large groups of files and its recognised perfectly fine.

Sweet, thanks!

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

HopperUK posted:

Mine did not when plugging directly into the deck, but connecting it through a dock or dongle had the HDD automatically show up and let me drag files.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Dead Space Remake chat: the game runs really well…. After like one hour. There’s no real shader compiling taking place at the start so the game stutters and freezes something fierce while the shader library builds. It’s…. Rough. Real loving rough. Then once it stabilizes it stays around 40-50 up until you hit something new and the stutter comes back. It wasn’t until about an hour in that the stutters pretty much went away since I guess enough assets had been rendered.

Also the map is bugged and will crash to desktop if you try to use it. So uh… feel feee to hold off on buying it if you plan to play it exclusively on the Deck or aren’t willing to deal with a pretty bad start from a technical standpoint. It does smooth out and runs great once it gets past that hump.

FYI

https://twitter.com/plagman2/status/1619377996615528448

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

poo poo this may change my platform choice. Was gonna grab PS5 but if I can play on decently well deck I probably will go that route… portability has been way more of a game changer than I thought

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Loving the next-day updates for issues with major releases not from the developer of the game. Gives you confidence!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I just opened the deck to get this and not only was there the Proton Hotfix but there was also a shader pre-caching update for Dead Space, something that wasn't available yesterday.

edit: oh yeah it's running much better now and the map works :woop:

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 28, 2023

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just rolled credits on Bully. Awesome game, one of the best open-worlds ever crafted. Reminded me of Breath of the Wild in how immersive and lived-in the world feels. One thing that really lends to that feeling is the fact that all the students are distinct npcs, so you can start to see their routines and personalities and how they interact with one another more and more over the course of the game.

Next up I'm emulating Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. Steam Deck stays winning.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Which version of Bully did you play

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

worms butthole guy posted:

Which version of Bully did you play

Scholarship Edition with 60fps patch. Takes a little setup but nothing too crazy.

I used this patch:https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=121093956 which allows for 60fps. But there's also something called SilentPatch that is apparently a bit more stable of an option. Either one should be fine though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

jokes posted:

Loving the next-day updates for issues with major releases not from the developer of the game. Gives you confidence!

it's basically the "nvidia/amd patches buggy game release in driver" shtick, but instead of "driver" being a mysterious binblob it's opensource and it owns

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

PantsBandit posted:

Scholarship Edition with 60fps patch. Takes a little setup but nothing too crazy.

I used this patch:https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=121093956 which allows for 60fps. But there's also something called SilentPatch that is apparently a bit more stable of an option. Either one should be fine though.

Rad thanks. I've heard the PS2 one is still the one to play but this is cool

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

worms butthole guy posted:

Rad thanks. I've heard the PS2 one is still the one to play but this is cool

I started with the PS2 version and then switched to Scholarship. Scholarship looks way better and has a bunch of extra content. Think the only downside is it's more buggy, but the fan patches fix most of that stuff. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd recommend Scholarship personally.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Hey Steam Deck thread, you’ve already introduced me to Decky, some of the custom backplates and skins out there, and how it’s apparently easy to swap out the SSD for the Steam Deck, so thank you very much!

Apparently I’ve been living under a rock and just wanted to ask…any other cool stuff that’s been out lately (software or hardware) for the Steam Deck that you’d recommend?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

PantsBandit posted:

Just rolled credits on Bully. Awesome game, one of the best open-worlds ever crafted. Reminded me of Breath of the Wild in how immersive and lived-in the world feels. One thing that really lends to that feeling is the fact that all the students are distinct npcs, so you can start to see their routines and personalities and how they interact with one another more and more over the course of the game.

Fine, fine, I'll spend $5 on it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Is there a way to get around needing to unplug the power cord on the official deck, plug the deck in, and then plug the power in to get the deck to successfully send a signal to a TV? I've seen the issue around several places but no solutions other than that workaround.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Hammer Bro. posted:

Fine, fine, I'll spend $5 on it.

You'll like it! It's not perfect but in the current state of open-world bloat it's a breath of fresh air to have a smaller, highly crafted world to explore. And you can finish it in 15 hours rather than committing to an endless gameplay loop that you come to resent by the end.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Is there any easy way to mass sell cards from games? I have tons of them and never use them. I’d love to buy some cheap games from them.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Bob A Feet posted:

Is there any easy way to mass sell cards from games? I have tons of them and never use them. I’d love to buy some cheap games from them.

Augmented steam has a quick and instant sell option. it's a browser extension through chrome and firefox

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Bob A Feet posted:

On the inventory page go to "View Badge Progress" when you have a card highlighted, then "Sell these cards on market" and it'll list them all for their lowest current sale price. You might need to do this in desktop mode, I don't know if you can see your inventory from gaming mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Lord Lambeth posted:

Augmented steam has a quick and instant sell option. it's a browser extension through chrome and firefox

Cool. Just made a few hundred yen