Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Entering the relatively late stages of the game and reached a point where I'm second sealing for level reset:

-I don't think any of the melee cavalier classes are good? Being a flier is just better, either because Wyvern gives massive +str growth or you get a healing flier which are excellent in Fire Emblem Staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The main advantage they have is not being allergic to bows.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Great Knight is apparently fine on Maddening where General's rock bottom Spd looks like too much of a liability, and tank units like Louis don't appreciate the massive Def loss from going into Wyvern.

Royal Knight seems good also but well, they have staff access.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Eimi posted:

I just saw the first parts of their supports and basically benched all of them but Chloe because they were dire. And for me while Alcryst's introduction is probably the single worst moment in the game, he's still Bernadetta but a guy a character I liked, and overall the Brodian characters are much more serious, which is why they are endearing to me. Of course I'm on chapter 20, have only a handful of B supports in general and just feel like I'm going to miss a frustrating amount of supports. I'm tempted to just put Micaiah on Alear to farm support points even if I'd rather have Eirika on her.

Farming supports with who you want on Alear is easy because there's no cooldown on giving gifts. You can shovel 15 spirit gems into someone's face all at once if you want.

It's farming supports between two other characters which is rough, especially if those characters don't share food tastes.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I made 2 Peach Cakes with Jean on 2 separate chapters but with the exact same extra ingredients (1 Peach, 1 Milk, 1 Rare Fruit) and got A rank both times.

Obviously 2 is not a good sample size but I do wonder if this works off a recipe system (which would make sense) instead of randomized results

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
They put so much work in the wake up events, its crazy. Did you know you get a different response if you wake up early by pressing A?

Also some madlad with Emulator and cheats for supports etc recorded *all* of the supports, wakeup events and bonds. The wakeup events are the defaults only cause the guy didn't know about the A interrupt creating a new variant lmao.
These have spoilers for characters of course so you have been warned.

All Supports
Emblem Bonds
Wake up Events

The sound quality is a bit off but it's a good collection for stuff you might have missed.

Edit: I'm also surprised they actually give Alfred a justification for his gimmick and it's pretty :smith:

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 28, 2023

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Kanos posted:

Farming supports with who you want on Alear is easy because there's no cooldown on giving gifts. You can shovel 15 spirit gems into someone's face all at once if you want.

It's farming supports between two other characters which is rough, especially if those characters don't share food tastes.

Yeah and honestly I think it's the non Alear supports that give a larger context to the character and what really makes them special, at least to me. Seeing just Alear's is disappointing. Though I think you just grind skirmishes before the final battle to get supports, so I guess that is there, though I imagine it must be nightmarishly difficult at that level. I did cheat and watch the Alear S rank ones and Ivy, Yunaka, Merrin, and Goldmary are all really good particularly the later three.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I can't believe how marketed to I am by the existence of Ivy

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

ungulateman posted:

I can't believe how marketed to I am by the existence of Ivy

Tharja in Camilla's body was a pro tier move.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
dammit, griss
fucker suicided on me by running up to framme and using echo, letting him attack twice. which meant he missed twice, and framme one shot him twice in a row, meaning he died despite starting the turn with a revive crystal. Which means I missed all four chests. :argh:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Ivy's supports are good too. They're a mix of her being way out of her element and trying her best (and failing) to maintain composure, her being a calm and kind friend like in her support with Hortensia or just unabashedly being a fangirl.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Yunaka going from “ZAPPY! HIYA PAPAYA! ” to “you’re dead.” when she crits is so good lmao

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
(chapter 22) Even if it didn't make much mechanical difference, getting to use the red Emblems for a bit was cool. I'm also so happy to have a worse Dragon who can handle Corrin duty. One who even likes the +Magic! It's a Christmas miracle. The 13th Emblem is a cool idea mechanically, and I appreciate that it lets you burn Alear's Engage meter to give an Engage form to both them and one ally, with a big +30 Hit and Evade to everyone around them or the other person Engaged. The problem is that the Engage form doesn't have too much else, so it ends up fairly weak if you don't need the Effective or the anti-Effective shield. At endgame a lot of Engaged forms are very good and being locked into a mediocre one for four turns is painful.

Wolf Knight Panette+Lyn, Wyvern Knight Chloe+Edelgard, Bow Knight Etie + Lucina, Mage Knight Anna + Byleth and Wyvern Knight Kagetsu + Roy are all fantastic units, with Kagetsu joining that group in part because Roy is really good for sword characters once you beat his Paralogue. The Sword of Seals is fantastic and Hold Out +++ is amazing. Alear's close to that group but not quite there, though her stock's rising now that Marth's Bond is uncapped and I can use him on her again. Ivy is doing really drat good because she's custom-built for drain-tanking with Micaiah and that's as powerful as ever, and Hortensia is doing way better now that she has Celica to add some actual offense to her speed and resistance. Yunaka isn't keeping up with the combat monsters any more because there's no real Emblem support for her, but Eirika's decent and has a good Engage mode, and with Corrin giving her fog she's still invincible against anyone not Mystical. Celine and Seadall are just here for staves and dancing, but Celine being able to throw a Thoron at three range is frequently useful for finishing off stragglers. (Chapter 22) That's the main reason I haven't dropped her for Mauvier, because his stats are basically all the same as hers or better. And his stats aren't even very good!

blizzardvizard posted:

I made 2 Peach Cakes with Jean on 2 separate chapters but with the exact same extra ingredients (1 Peach, 1 Milk, 1 Rare Fruit) and got A rank both times.

Obviously 2 is not a good sample size but I do wonder if this works off a recipe system (which would make sense) instead of randomized results

The way it works, seemingly, is that every character chosen to cook has a list of "Titles" for food, with some better than others. Serenes has a list. Along with a bonus for picking dishes they're proficient with, I also expect that more ingredients = better odds of better titles, with maybe a modifier for picking an appropriate or inappropriate Rare item. (Don't add Rare Fish or Rare Vegetables to the apple pie, but Rare Fruit would be good.)

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Do any characters like horse poo poo as a gift

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Thing is I've definitely had cases where picking less ingredients gave me better results. First time I made Vander cook I used all extra ingredients and he bungled it completely, then I reduced the ingredients and suddenly he gave an S tier food.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Augus posted:

Yunaka going from “ZAPPY! HIYA PAPAYA! ” to “you’re dead.” when she crits is so good lmao

https://twitter.com/jsketch12/status/1617467463985430528

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Yeah this game does not put its best foot forward when it comes to introducing characters. Alfred and Chloe are dull and Chloe's outfit is ridiculous to boot. When the three of them are in cutscenes together it's like the two of them and Alear share a brain cell and the last one to have it misplaced it.

The characters after that get more fun though. Seems to take a bit because supports really do seem to level slowly in this game. I'm at Chapter 17 and don't have a single A Ranked support.

And a thought on Emblems: Now that they're all in the same game like this Ike really feels like a man among children compared to the other protagonists.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The support points seem to be ridiculous for A supports. I decided to see how many of those spirit gems it took and it was like 12 from B to A for Jade for Alear for example. I'm certain between other characters supports aren't as difficult to level up but it's absolutely baffling to me you don't gain any during the enemy phase.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

ChrisBTY posted:

Yeah this game does not put its best foot forward when it comes to introducing characters. Alfred and Chloe are dull and Chloe's outfit is ridiculous to boot. When the three of them are in cutscenes together it's like the two of them and Alear share a brain cell and the last one to have it misplaced it.

The characters after that get more fun though. Seems to take a bit because supports really do seem to level slowly in this game. I'm at Chapter 17 and don't have a single A Ranked support.

And a thought on Emblems: Now that they're all in the same game like this Ike really feels like a man among children compared to the other protagonists.

whats wrong with Chloe's outfit? its just the pegapony uniform

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Or at least they should give characters some base support points on being deployed together. It's really a shame that they're so stingy with support points when we have this big of a cast.

You don't even get support points for participating in a chain attack which I feel like should've been a thing

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I just left Yunaka lurking in a hallway behind some columns while strong respawning enemies came up it and she just murdered all of them. What a busted character lol.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Thats why I gave Yunaka the ring, she deserved it for being the MVP and a cool character to boot. Also I guess some people don't like Chloes default outfit, promoting her fixes it. Also it was funny to me that her breast size varies a lot depending on which casual outfit you give her.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

celine owns and is legitimately probably one of the most coldblooded and serious characters in the game but the main story doesnt give her any real screentime, which is a bit of a shame when alcryst/fogato/hortensia all get a bit to show off even though they arent the 'main' royals. legitimately part of me thinks the reason she barely gets dialog in the main story is because she's *too* serious for the early stuff.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Alfred is good and my friend and not a single line spoken by Celine isn’t hilarious

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Endorph posted:

celine owns and is legitimately probably one of the most coldblooded and serious characters in the game but the main story doesnt give her any real screentime, which is a bit of a shame when alcryst/fogato/hortensia all get a bit to show off even though they arent the 'main' royals. legitimately part of me thinks the reason she barely gets dialog in the main story is because she's *too* serious for the early stuff.
it's a shame that the main plot cutscenes don't feature Celine/Alcryst/Fogado/Hortensia tbh. Even if they don't have much dialogue, surely they're important enough to stand around in the background occasionally?? No?? Alright

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Tired Moritz posted:

whats wrong with Chloe's outfit? its just the pegapony uniform

drat it I meant Celine.

Endorph posted:

Really? Here's my experience with Celine:
"Tea tea tea tea sick brother tea tea tea"

Also: In deciding who to marry I decided upon the least unnerving woman in Alear's supports.
At first I thought Ivy then I got to her B support.
I can't handle being her husband and her religion. I mean I get I'm everybody's religion but most people arn't as into it.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 28, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

it's a shame that the main plot cutscenes don't feature Celine/Alcryst/Fogado/Hortensia tbh. Even if they don't have much dialogue, surely they're important enough to stand around in the background occasionally?? No?? Alright
tbf after 3h im glad that the writers figured out that having 8 characters standing around saying nothing doesnt actually expand their characterization

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Celine's outfit is great

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Do any characters like horse poo poo as a gift

I don't think anyone likes it, but so far Merrin's not-unenthusiastic response made me laugh out loud.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Endorph posted:

tbf after 3h im glad that the writers figured out that having 8 characters standing around saying nothing doesnt actually expand their characterization
and yet, timerra is still here

(i like her but i'm pretty sure she's said two whole sentences since leaving solm)

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I think it's clever in a cute way that Celine looks like a Lissa character but plays like Robin, even down to getting Ignis. The part where her depth of character doesn't come up as part of the plot means the comparison doesn't quite stick, but given that Firene is clearly a pastiche of Ylisse combined with Zofia, the concepts are still there.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Endorph posted:

It's very funny when you kill off everyone for a challenge run and the cutscenes go "GREAT JOB EVERYONE" followed up by dead silence while the entire class is rotting in their graves.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Celine's outfit is incredibly stupid and that is why it is great. I haven't gotten very many supports from here that aren't tea-related, though; even Alear's support, which does hint at a more serious side to her, is still about tea for one and a half ranks.

I might have even given the ring to her if she wasn't one of the people who was changed to platonic.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Brave Weapons are stupid busted with the dog meta giving me easy ingots for +5. My Lapis with 40 speed can easily proc 4 hits with alarcity on basically any enemy.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

FrickenMoron posted:

It's very funny when you kill off everyone for a challenge run and the cutscenes go "GREAT JOB EVERYONE" followed up by dead silence while the entire class is rotting in their graves.

im very interested in replaying 3houses now

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Just did the final battle again. It was pretty easy on hard and I managed to burst down all life bars in one turn knowing how the maps gimmick works. Everyone I had was maxed out level wise though and I was playing on hard with very strong forged weapons.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Tired Moritz posted:

im very interested in replaying 3houses now

Got you covered
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j670gIQ2mxI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z35tonmtnbo

Pretty much everyone dies in both of these videos.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Feeling kinda bummed I benched Celine because I got her C support with Alcryst through arena matches and after feeling underwhelmed through most of her other early supports I thought it was one of the better support intros so far.

Kinda hard to justify fielding all the mages though. All of them seem very good and there's only so much deployment slots.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Count me in as another person who thought the earlygame writing was loving dire but really came around on it. I haven't finished the game yet, and there are still dumbass Saturday morning cartoon moments like Team Rocket the Four Hounds blasting off again every episode instead of Alear and company just killing them, but overall the story and characters are just fun to watch. There's an initial fear that most characters are going to be one-note gimmicks like in Awakening or Fates, but once you dig into their supports you realize that the writers really thought about how a person might come to have those traits, rather than poo poo like "lol no one can see Kellam because reasons, that's funny right?"

I think my favorite character writing-wise so far is Citrinne, who initially comes off as nothing more than "is rich and fancy" and "loves to give gifts". But then you start doing her supports and you realize that (support spoilers only) her wealth is a source of massive insecurity for her because she thinks she only got her retainer position due to her family connections, and she's so desperate to prove herself useful to the army that she trains to the point of exhaustion. She also used to have another rich friend that she loved to exchange gifts with, but then she picked the friend a heartfelt bouquet of flowers and got told off for being "cheap", which crushed her. So now all of her gifts are over-the-top expensive and flashy because she's terrified of another close friend doing that to her again. Her personality is still played up sometimes in a silly way, but she feels like a fairly believable person instead of just a collection of traits, and I like it a lot.

Overall I feel like the story and gameplay through chapter 19 has given me the same feeling that Awakening did, Fates very much did not, and 3H I was kinda "eh" about. It's not exactly an original story or world, and it has a fair number of dumb moments, but it has heart in a way I can't quite define. It feels like a celebration of Fire Emblem by developers and writers who care about it, rather than a mishmash of unfinished ideas and maps thrown together by a corporation to get a game out on time. I think the simplicity of the story means it's probably not gonna steal Blazing Blade's spot as my favorite FE, but unless something really weird happens, I have a feeling Engage is gonna end up high on the list. It's just fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

There should be fanart of Seadall being a fat, gluttonus gently caress at the end of the game because this man clearly just wants to stuff his face with calories instead of torturing himself