Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Done with the credits and ending now, might be my favorite FE overall now. This game wears its heart on its sleeve and spreads itself too thin in some areas but the gameplay is just so solid it keeps everything together. The story also ends off strong, which is more important than starting off strong imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

There should be fanart of Seadall being a fat, gluttonus gently caress at the end of the game because this man clearly just wants to stuff his face with calories instead of torturing himself
deviantart will get on it before long probably

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

How's Jean, what's a good progression path for him? Thinking high priest maybe?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Count me in as another person who thought the earlygame writing was loving dire but really came around on it. I haven't finished the game yet, and there are still dumbass Saturday morning cartoon moments like Team Rocket the Four Hounds blasting off again every episode instead of Alear and company just killing them, but overall the story and characters are just fun to watch. There's an initial fear that most characters are going to be one-note gimmicks like in Awakening or Fates, but once you dig into their supports you realize that the writers really thought about how a person might come to have those traits, rather than poo poo like "lol no one can see Kellam because reasons, that's funny right?"

I think the earlygame is pretty solid honestly. It's certainly faster paced than your average FE and maybe goes to the drama a bit too quickly without as much set-up but outside of that it feels pretty standard FE if a bit lighter and with more of a focus on like character introductions. There's some wonkiness there but it mostly works out and I think the intro's fast pace is ultimately a good thing.

I guess a couple characters maybe feel a bit more shallow at first than they actually are but hey, you're bound to get a couple supports for everyone by the time you actually start benching people. So the gang gets some decent time to breathe.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Avalerion posted:

How's Jean, what's a good progression path for him? Thinking high priest maybe?
his personal growths are pretty low and his personal skill only doubles his class growths. martial monk has pretty eh growths (notably, no speed growth) so if you want him to be good you wanna stick him in a class that has good class growths. cav, axe fighter, and thief are the ones that stand out to me. if you want to keep him a healer you could promote him early and then spend a second seal to get him into griffin knight, that class has great growths.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Can confirm from bitter personal experience that on maddening fixed growths straight monk Jean is exceedingly mediocre/bordering on bad unless you give him Tiki, who can make basically anyone good so it doesn't count.

Honestly martial masters in general just kind of suck rear end growth-wise. They're great party support due to chain guard owning and staves being what they are in this game, but they're very unimpressive combat-wise without the ability for luck to goose your growths.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jan 28, 2023

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Also wanted to say that Last Engage, the final battle music is really good. This time its not the evil shadow people that get their dubstep EDM music, it's our Colgate Dragon and friends.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I am currently torturing myself trying to wring out a handful of A supports that seem important and the game is so loving stingy with support points its unreal.

The arena is the only thing that gives a notable amount and it does so entirely at the mercy of the RNG. I have rank A supports between characters I've never fielded together, while several characters who have been on the team since day one are at B or C because they have different combat roles. :(

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Imo just watch them on youtube, I linked them all in a post earlier. Most of my team had at least 2-3 A supports with each other, some up to 5.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
No, I'm too stubborn. :mad:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Does the number of times you can fish between fights ever go up from 3? And is there a way to change time of day faster than going to My Room to sleep? I kinda just want to bliss out fishing through the collection book.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I hit the level cap with Yunaka (thief), Merrin and Pandreo (high priest). What are some good classes to change them into? The ones I have available at the moment all give them worse stats...

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If you're at max level, you can change back to your current class to be reset to level 1 (or 21 for special classes like Thief). There's no cross-class skills, so you don't need to ever change someone's class unless you prefer them in a different class. Resetting the class also won't lose you the class skill, they keep it once it's learned.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Spermando posted:

I hit the level cap with Yunaka (thief), Merrin and Pandreo (high priest). What are some good classes to change them into? The ones I have available at the moment all give them worse stats...

If you're content with how they're doing in their current classes, you can just reset their levels in them. You don't get to take the skills you learn from a class with you, so there's no real need to hop around different classes if your current one is doing what you need.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Once you can buy better rods at the flea shop your max fishing will increase.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

RoyalScion posted:

Once you can buy better rods at the flea shop your max fishing will increase.

...there's anorther shop? When does it unlock?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It unlocks when you recruit Timerra, in Solm. I forget when the rods unlock, but they show up as you advance through the story.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Also the fast travel menu shows whenever there's new things in stock

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It unlocks when you recruit Timerra, in Solm. I forget when the rods unlock, but they show up as you advance through the story.

Ah, that checks out, haven't started chapter 12 yet. Wanted to try and level a few lower levelled units/farm gold but the Hard mode skrimishes make that a bit hard.

I did get Anna to promote to Mage Knight and get a Levin sword at least. The class skill works when using magical weapons on mages, right?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I did get Anna to promote to Mage Knight and get a Levin sword at least. The class skill works when using magical weapons on mages, right?
I don't think it does. The exact wording is 'physical attack' and 'magical attack,' so I imagine the magic weapons count as 'magic attacks.'

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Endorph posted:

I don't think it does. The exact wording is 'physical attack' and 'magical attack,' so I imagine the magic weapons count as 'magic attacks.'

Well, still 3 extra damage at anything but mages, who you generally don't wanna use mages against.

rabbitmonger
Jan 16, 2008

AAAUGH
I...forgot about the arena. Completely forgot it was a thing you could do. I'm on chapter 14. Guess playthrough #2 will be the one where I don't gently caress everything up lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eimi posted:

I just saw the first parts of their supports and basically benched all of them but Chloe because they were dire. And for me while Alcryst's introduction is probably the single worst moment in the game, he's still Bernadetta but a guy a character I liked, and overall the Brodian characters are much more serious, which is why they are endearing to me. Of course I'm on chapter 20, have only a handful of B supports in general and just feel like I'm going to miss a frustrating amount of supports. I'm tempted to just put Micaiah on Alear to farm support points even if I'd rather have Eirika on her.

If you have the food ingredients to spare, you can spam meals by using Tempest Trials. Doing a Tempest Trial counts as a battle for resetting your "once per battle" Somniel things, and there's no permadeath in those, so you can just go in, lose, do a meal and 3 Arena rounds, then repeat.

I don't know if that'd actually be faster than having someone spamming staves and Great Sacrifice with a map full of characters they support, but also skirmishes are tough and unless they're training ones they actually have permadeath so the Tempest Trial option is more brainless.

I feel like it's possible they could patch in faster support gain or some variation on that so I'm going to hope that comes in a patch at some point. Won't likely help me on this playthrough but when I do another in the future it'd be nice.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

They mentioned they were going to do a free update for the Somniel so that might have something for supports

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im hoping they patch in paired endings for non-alear characters but thats a pipe dream

tho i guess jeritza had paired endings in three houses so technically theyve done it before, lol

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Harrow posted:

If you have the food ingredients to spare, you can spam meals by using Tempest Trials.

Don't actually bother with this if you have online access; do Outream Trials instead. Also no permadeath, but much much shorter. Just hit autobattle and skip two or three times and you're done.

E: If they add just one paired ending as wholesome as Jeritza/Bernie I'll be happy.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Timerra should unlock having BBQs at Somniel for group support gain.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Don't actually bother with this if you have online access; do Outream Trials instead. Also no permadeath, but much much shorter. Just hit autobattle and skip two or three times and you're done.

E: If they add just one paired ending as wholesome as Jeritza/Bernie I'll be happy.

Ahhhh right, it was Outrealm Trials I read the tip about, not Tempest Trials. I got them mixed up!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Endorph posted:

his personal growths are pretty low and his personal skill only doubles his class growths. martial monk has pretty eh growths (notably, no speed growth) so if you want him to be good you wanna stick him in a class that has good class growths. cav, axe fighter, and thief are the ones that stand out to me. if you want to keep him a healer you could promote him early and then spend a second seal to get him into griffin knight, that class has great growths.

Honestly, overall the Qi Adept class branches have okay growths, they just don't get SPD - possibly at least partially due to the Arts Brave weapon effect, but also potentially because they're a magic class. For whatever reason the class designers just decided that magic-focused attacking classes don't get speed in this game, as they're the only class branches aside from Armors that get 0. Martial Monk and its two promotions don't get any, and it's the same with Mage and Sage - Mage Knight manages to scrape up a 5% SPD growth. Plus, as mentioned, Ivy's unique classes also don't get any, and a certain spoiler character's class gets a whole 5%. Hortensia's classes get decent SPD growths, but she's very much the odd person out in terms of getting tomes access and SPD.

It's definitely a bit strange, because it seems like an attempt to keep magic somewhat constrained... and then the designers also came up with Royal Knight and Griffon Knight, which have excellent MAG and SPD growths. And while they don't have innate tome access, multiple emblems with tome weapons are right there.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Well, beat the final chapter. That was a thoroughly solid Fire Emblem game.

I figured Yunaka would easily be my main MVP, but it turns out they were pretty evenly split between her, Framme, Timerra and Alear. Which I guess checks out, those four were my only frontliners with literally everyone else acting as ranged support, but if it works it works.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Timerra turned out awful for me. Almost no str growth and her only trait was defense.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Mine also got garbage strength but it's not like it matters when you can't die and also a third of your attacks are at 60 strength. It evens out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sigurd's paralogue is hosed up lmao

I've never played Genealogy--what's the reference with the huge number of Sages? And also the turbo-Sages with a shitload of revive stones (who also gave a ridiculous amount of EXP, thanks mages!).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Harrow posted:

I've never played Genealogy--what's the reference with the huge number of Sages? And also the turbo-Sages with a shitload of revive stones (who also gave a ridiculous amount of EXP, thanks mages!).

A lot of maps in FE4 have a fuckton of Dark Mages since the main antagonist faction is an evil cult. Since Dark Magic isn't really in this game, they're represented by Sages.

The two sages with the revival stones represent Julius and Ishtar, the final boss of FE4 and a recurring antagonist, respectively. They both appear a few times throughout the game and are very powerful, so they're a pretty iconic part of the gameplay.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Harrow posted:

Julius. Be thankful you can damage him with more than one character.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
On the original map, you fight Arvis, the descendant of the fire magic-wielding crusader. He fields a lot of casters. Also the final boss and his lieutenant show up early as a challenge gimmick; they are crazy OP but will leave the map if they kill one of your units, you reduce one of them to half HP, or I think you can seize the middle fort first. That is what the corner sages call back to, but in a way that doesn’t almost guarantee you losing a unit.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thanks for the explanations. What an absolutely wild map that is. I was not expecting a whole loving army of reinforcements to show up once the bridge went down and I laughed out loud. I lol'd again when Sigurd just went ahead and Overran a line of like 8 of my characters all at once because I didn't think about that :v:

I feel like this game is accomplishing exactly what it set out to do in making me want to go back and play all the games these characters and maps come from.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

be thankful their legendary tomes arent in this game, too. julius had a tome that halved all damage *before* his defense and res got applied, meaning you needed something like 60 raw attack to even scratch him, and ishtar's tome gave her +20 dex and +10 speed. she couldnt miss and basically always doubled.

and yeah. for a longtime fan, there's a ton of little easter eggs, and i think there's enough here to pique at least some newer player's interests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Endorph posted:

be thankful their legendary tomes arent in this game, too. julius had a tome that halved all damage *before* his defense and res got applied, meaning you needed something like 60 raw attack to even scratch him, and ishtar's tome gave her +20 dex and +10 speed. she couldnt miss and basically always doubled.

and yeah. for a longtime fan, there's a ton of little easter eggs, and i think there's enough here to pique at least some newer player's interests.

I stopped there and went, "wait, didn't Thorhammer's +10 Speed just cancel out its weight?" and checked her stats. Oh, right, she also had 30 Speed, in a game with no Build stat. Forgot about that.