Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Larry Parrish posted:

yeah pg&e is just consistently awful. not enough generation for peak load like during the heat waves, no maintenance until the service actually fails. my neighbor is getting hassled about him drawing 'enough power for 5 houses' and we sat down and did the math and it's actually completely impossible for that to be the case even if you didn't take his solar into account. and the meter doesn't agree with pg&e either. im convinced that since we're on the edge of the burnscar and therefore the edge of the customer base and service area that they've got some kind of weird loss downline and they're trying to pin it on him instead of fixing it lol.

It's like cable companies, but somehow worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

If it weren't for the environmental concerns, :tinfoil: types might be onto something with the mandates for electric vehicles, appliances, lawn equipment, and generators.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
LMAO at the poster characterizing it as "it's hot a little".

A few summers ago it was 86° at like 11:30pm. The morning was up to 82° at 6:30am. Sustained, week-long temperatures in the hundreds. City-run cooling centers everywhere. Homes and surfaces were loving radiating heat endlessly.

Yeah turns out that places a crazy amount of stress when LA County runs AC nearly 20 hours a day.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 27, 2023

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Huh, ok.

I lived in the Bay Area for 6 years and experienced zero issues with my PG&E service. Maybe my power went out briefly a couple of times? I can’t remember exactly.

I can’t say the same about my time spent living in other areas of the country. One time during a winter storm I went without power for about a week.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Lol “maybe pge isn’t that bad” is certainly a novel bit

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the bay area doesn't get snow or really any weather more extreme than a rain storm. it probably has way more underground conduits than you know, the absolutely massive part of the state that's entirely rural

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
california is immensely wealthy and deserves better than pg&e. needs nationalized asap. :cheers:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

silence_kit posted:

Huh, ok.

I lived in the Bay Area for 6 years and experienced zero issues with my PG&E service. Maybe my power went out briefly a couple of times? I can’t remember exactly.

I can’t say the same about my time spent living in other areas of the country. One time during a winter storm I went without power for about a week.

Well they kill people and destroy lots of property through negligence, so there's that https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-23/pge-pleads-guilty-to-84-counts-of-manslaughter-over-paradise-fire

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Centrist Committee posted:

In my experience, I had really cheap electric bills and great service. No complaints from me.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

silence_kit posted:

In my experience, I had really cheap electric bills and great service. No complaints from me.

raspy style troll. fly away

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

silence_kit posted:

Huh, ok.

They also blew up a neighborhood in the Bay Area so maybe don't be too quick to give them kudos.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ah, but have you considered that I got mine, and therefore gently caress you?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The tiger that's currently mauling my neighbors never gave me any trouble. 5 stars

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Smythe posted:

california is immensely wealthy and deserves better than pg&e. needs nationalized asap. :cheers:

:yeah:

Also do all the local telecom infrastructure.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
And SDG&E while we’re at it because their bullshit is completely out of control these days. Paying $5+ per therm of gas lol

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

silence_kit posted:

Were you around for any of the times pg&e ignited wildfire smoke caused "avoid going outside" air quality warnings?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Centrist Committee posted:

Sympathy for The Devil PG&E

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

nationalize all internet access

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

sb hermit posted:

Unironically :haibrow:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sb hermit posted:

literally, yes

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

How many times could PG&E realistically go bankrupt and still emerge intact? There’s a whole swath of foothill communities just like Paradise, from Placerville to Grass Valley to Shingletown, that are at high risk. What happens when they burn the next one down? Is the CPUC so useless that they’d never break it up or municipalize it under any circumstances?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Greg12 posted:

but yes, if a bunch of boomers who all voted to pull up the ladder behind them and cut young people's pensions in order to save their own... If they have to go spend a day or a weekend digging ditches or putting brush in a wood chipper to pay back their share of the dividends that should have gone toward maintaining PG&E's lines, that's good. It'll do them good.

Did that happen? I was under the impression that CALPERS wasn’t age-restricted at all.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

raminasi posted:

Did that happen? I was under the impression that CALPERS wasn’t age-restricted at all.

Pretty much every pension system in recent years has been modified into a two-tiered system: one with watered down benefits for new employees and the other for older age employees grandfathering in the old benefits.

Rather than fight for a consistent set of benefits the feeling is that half the workforce sold out the next generation of workers and abandoned solidarity.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Foxfire_ posted:

Were you around for any of the times pg&e ignited wildfire smoke caused "avoid going outside" air quality warnings?

No, I had left before then. I did experience a few earthquakes, and the power stayed on during that.

I'm not opposed to nationalizing utility companies. That idea makes A WHOLE LOT more sense than other Goon calls to nationalize more competitive American industries, like retail or the airlines.

I think it is good to have realistic expectations about what nationalizing the utility companies would do though. For the same level of service/cost, I don't think it would totally eliminate accidents and outages. I think that's an unrealistic expectation. Government organizations, like private organizations, are comprised of human beings, have budgets, experience the perils and pitfalls of short term thinking, etc.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 28, 2023

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.

El Mero Mero posted:

Pretty much every pension system in recent years has been modified into a two-tiered system: one with watered down benefits for new employees and the other for older age employees grandfathering in the old benefits.

Rather than fight for a consistent set of benefits the feeling is that half the workforce sold out the next generation of workers and abandoned solidarity.

Yes in California it’s called PEPRA and it means if you were hired in 2013 or later your CalPERS benefits are reduced compared to older employees. For a lot of state workers it increased retirement age from 55 to 62, but it also increased how much the newer employees pay towards that reduced pension each month (higher % of salary) and reduced other benefits as well such as health insurance compensation after retirement.

It’s still decent imo, but if you were hired by the state in 2012 you’re on easy street compared to anyone that started in 2013 or later.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

silence_kit posted:

No, I had left before then. I did experience a few earthquakes, and the power stayed on during that.

I'm not opposed to nationalizing utility companies. That idea makes A WHOLE LOT more sense than other Goon calls to nationalize more competitive American industries, like retail or the airlines.

I think it is good to have realistic expectations about what nationalizing the utility companies would do though. For the same level of service/cost, I don't think it would totally eliminate accidents and outages. I think that's an unrealistic expectation. Government organizations, like private organizations, are comprised of human beings, have budgets, experience the perils and pitfalls of short term thinking, etc.

You sound like you might be a moron.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
"did people born 1946-1965 do something to gently caress over their own children in order to make their decadence slightly more decadent?"

bro. come on. you knew the answer already.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Greg12 posted:

"did people born 1946-1965 do something to gently caress over their own children in order to make their decadence slightly more decadent?"

bro. come on. you knew the answer already.

No, they didn’t. There are tons of poor boomers as well. Dividing people into generations and putting them against each other is capitalist propaganda and exactly what those in power want.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

fermun posted:

You sound like you might be a moron.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Just a couple years ago we had a whole week without power in the Bay Area.

PG&E actually had to pay for peoples spoiled food in some cases. It was pretty hellish because it was during a heatwave and pandemic.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

El Mero Mero posted:

PEPRA didn't happen because the workers wanted to shaft their younger colleagues, it happened because Jerry Brown made it happen.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

silence_kit posted:

I'm not even going to argue your general point. I mean, I don't agree with you, but it's not necessary in this case because PG&E is uniquely bad and any structural change is bound to improve things. Like using public money specifically earmarked for line maintenance and brush clearing for its intended purpose instead of executive bonuses is more likely to happen if the state took it over. Naked corruption like that is harder to hide for public employees.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FlapYoJacks posted:

No, they didn’t. There are tons of poor boomers as well. Dividing people into generations and putting them against each other is capitalist propaganda and exactly what those in power want.

Boomers' well-documented delusions made them want the rich people to be richer because they were going to be rich, especially if it made everyone else a lot, lot poorer. Whether it was conscious or not, that's their legacy: a truly absurd increase in the GINI index without justification other than self-delusion.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
The usual comparison between a private service and government service on this website is:

1) the real-world private service or a conception of it whose faults/drawbacks have been exaggerated
2) an abstract concept of a government service, run by a philosopher king who has an unlimited budget, shares the poster’s opinion, and who answers to no one.

Here, we are almost unanimously negative and cynical about the American system of government. Given this fact it is strange to believe that giving it EVEN MORE control over society will solve all its problems. I am continually baffled by this. One belief obviously undermines the other.

Honestly I’m not anti-nationalization of utility companies. It is an industry where it makes a lot more sense than in other areas where it gets proposed. I’m just skeptical that it will effortlessly solve all problems and not come with its own drawbacks.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

gently caress me I'm convinced, point me at the booth I'm gonna pull the lever for Reagen. I didn't realize government had it's own problems! The scariest thing to hear? "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help". It's morning in America again! God bless.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Family Values posted:

I'm not even going to argue your general point. I mean, I don't agree with you, but it's not necessary in this case because PG&E is uniquely bad and any structural change is bound to improve things. Like using public money specifically earmarked for line maintenance and brush clearing for its intended purpose instead of executive bonuses is more likely to happen if the state took it over. Naked corruption like that is harder to hide for public employees.

I see. If you are saying this, and not the KKKapitalism crowd, then I’m more willing to accept that PG&E’s negligence isn’t some Goon exaggeration of reality and drop it.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 28, 2023

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Family Values posted:

And yet PG&E is paying to run fluff ads on TV about how great they are that I get to watch despite being on the wrong side of the mountains to be their customer

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

PEPRA didn't happen because the workers wanted to shaft their younger colleagues, it happened because Jerry Brown made it happen.

While true, SEIU still had to negotiate on behalf of workers and ultimately accept the changes. And this was pre-Janus, when they had more bargaining power. It will probably get worse for future state employees. Their current contract expires soon too.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

gently caress me I'm convinced, point me at the booth I'm gonna pull the lever for Reagen. I didn't realize government had it's own problems! The scariest thing to hear? "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help". It's morning in America again! God bless.

I am way less negative and cynical about the American system of government than the average politics goon.

I’m also not Republican nor am I generally against the concept of permitting more government control of society.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

silence_kit posted:

I see. If you are saying this, and not the KKKapitalism crowd, then I’m more willing to accept that PG&E’s negligence isn’t some Goon exaggeration of reality and drop it.
Genuinely got a class A moron itt. Can we nationalize the natural gas coming out of your mouth