Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

lol isn't it illegal in Poland to talk about collaboration and/or Polish Perpetrators?

Well

wikipedia posted:

The Amendment to the Act on the Institute of National Remembrance of 2018 is a Polish law that penalizes public speech which attributes responsibility for the Holocaust to Poland or the Polish nation. Article 2a, addressing crimes against "Polish citizens" by "Ukrainian nationalists", also caused controversy.[1]

wonder what nationalists are being talked about in part two here and what the controversy is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Red and Black posted:

What does everyone think about the tanks being sent to Ukraine? Are they going to change anything about the course of the war?

yes

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Red and Black posted:

What does everyone think about the tanks being sent to Ukraine? Are they going to change anything about the course of the war?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

this situation is so simple, give half of ukraine to russia, and the other half to poland

the ikea country with the red flag can go to germany

the ikea country with the white flag can to albania

the ikea country with the blue flag can go to america

Personally think the one with the Austria like flag should go to Austria.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Isentropy posted:

Well

wonder what nationalists are being talked about in part two here and what the controversy is

it is very unfair and a little suspect that you would single out Poland for this when several countries in eastern europe are engaged in similar behavior, for instance Ukraine

https://www.jta.org/2018/02/06/global/poland-isnt-the-only-country-trying-to-police-what-can-be-said-about-the-holocaust

quote:

(JTA) — In 2015, Ukraine’s president signed a law whose critics say stifles debate on the historical record of World War II and whitewashes local perpetrators of the Holocaust.

Law 2538-1 criminalized any rhetoric insulting to the memory of anti-communist partisans. And it celebrates the legacy of such combatants – ostensibly including the ones who murdered countless Jewish and Polish citizens while collaborating with Nazi Germany.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
dont forget our plucky little baltic allies

quote:

The Baltic nations of Lithuania and Latvia were pioneers in nationalist legislation that limits discourse about the Holocaust in their territories. Critics say these laws also shift the blame for the murder of Jews, which was done with local helpers, to Nazi Germany alone. They also seem to equate the Nazi genocide with political repression by the Soviet Union – which many in the former Soviet Union blame on Jewish communists.

In 2010 Lithuania — a country where Nazi collaborators virtually wiped out a Jewish community of 250,000 — amended its criminal code, prescribing up to two years in jail to anyone who “denies or grossly underestimates” the crime of genocide or “other crimes against humanity or war crimes committed by the USSR or Nazi Germany against Lithuanian residents.”

Similar legislation in Latvia from 2014 imposes up to five years in jail for those who deny the role of “the foreign powers that have perpetrated crimes against Latvia and the Latvian nation,” without mentioning the involvement of Latvian SS volunteers in murdering nearly all of the country’s 70,000 Jews.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It depends a lot on how the war ends. If Russia at any point decides to stop the invasion, withdraw from Ukrainian territory and negotiate a peace deal relations would probably be restored very quickly other than some token sanctions. If Russia 'wins' the war by grinding through Ukraine's entire population and annexes/occupies the country then it's hard to see any path to reconciliation.

i like the assumption that the west will always be able to dictate terms to the rest of the world, really revealing of the mindset behind posts like these

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

why would russia even want to “restore relations” with the people who loudly and proudly proclaim they want to see the whole country collapse?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Comrade Koba posted:

why would russia even want to “restore relations” with the people who loudly and proudly proclaim they want to see the whole country collapse?

In all honesty, if the Russians can get what they want, does it really matter?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

genericnick posted:

Personally think the one with the Austria like flag should go to Austria.

bro what the gently caress is an austria

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

this better not be like this moldova poo poo were its a country the size of dog poop that should exist

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

this better not be like this moldova poo poo were its a country the size of dog poop that should exist

Hold on while I Google if they have any famous leaders or something

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

hitler himself was born in "austria"

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Cerebral Bore posted:

i like the assumption that the west will always be able to dictate terms to the rest of the world, really revealing of the mindset behind posts like these

its not the west, its the rules-based international order, and rightfully so

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

bro what the gently caress is an austria

The one EU country with a Baltic like flag

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020
huh... sounds like a bunch of nazi countries

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Also something tells me they'd feel right at home.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

why isn't she in the picture lol

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

AnimeIsTrash posted:

this situation is so simple, give half of ukraine to russia, and the other half to poland

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

tristeham posted:

why isn't she in the picture lol

CNN is not a fan of brunettes

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Orange Devil posted:

Pharaoh remake coming February 15th.

Me on Feb 16 after pulling an all-nighter with the remake:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Orange Devil posted:

Director of Auschwitz today during the liberation memorial compared what Russia is doing in Ukraine to what the Nazis did 80 years ago, while standing in front of a wall of pictures of people murderered in the Holocaust.

I think the Russians should have just attended regardless. It's not like they were invited the first time, either.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Isentropy posted:

Well

Don't worry, section 2a or "the Anti-Banderovite Law" as it has been called, was struck down by the constitutional court.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I think looking at a picture of these countries coloured like their flags may be instructive as to who should rule there.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It depends a lot on how the war ends. If Russia at any point decides to stop the invasion, withdraw from Ukrainian territory and negotiate a peace deal relations would probably be restored very quickly other than some token sanctions. If Russia 'wins' the war by grinding through Ukraine's entire population and annexes/occupies the country then it's hard to see any path to reconciliation.

So relations can be restored if Russia gives up the naval base they've had for centuries?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

serbia?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think the Russians should have just attended regardless. It's not like they were invited the first time, either.

:chanpop:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Weka posted:

I think looking at a picture of these countries coloured like their flags may be instructive as to who should rule there.

the…dutch? :ohdear:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

So relations can be restored if Russia gives up the naval base they've had for centuries?

Also, it doesn’t seem like anyone cares what the people who actually live there think or want. It is evident that very few people in either Crimea or the Donbas want to live in Ukraine.

The Kremlin has its motives but it doesn’t mean a lot of people don’t actually want to go back to 2014.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:56 on Jan 28, 2023

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
^^^ up until the start 2021 it sounded like the people in the Donbas did see returning to Ukraine with enhanced protections under the law as being preferential to being their own little land locked rump states. I think there was a time when things could have been fixed without war. That's long gone though and the only path forward for them now that doesn't involve genocide of whatever is left of their population is as part of the Russian federation.

Its not even clear to me why normalizing relations with the west would even be desirable for Russia. Last time they took steps to lower tensions and work towards a peaceful coexistence it turned out the western powers were acting in bad faith and used the peace treaty to prepare their proxy for war with Russia.

I don't see how there can ever be a normalization of relations that Russia can have any faith in.

Starsfan has issued a correction as of 23:02 on Jan 28, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Starsfan posted:

^^^ up until the start 2021 it sounded like the people in the Donbas did see returning to Ukraine with enhanced protections under the law as being preferential to being their own little land locked rump states. I think there was a time when things could have been fixed without war. That's long gone though and the only path forward for them now that doesn't involve genocide of whatever is left of their population is as part of the Russian federation.

Its not even clear to me why normalizing relations with the west would even be desirable for Russia. Last time they took steps to lower tensions and work towards a peaceful coexistence it turned out the western powers were acting in bad faith and used the peace treaty to prepare their proxy for war with Russia.

I don't see how there can ever be a normalization of relations that Russia can have any faith in.

The Russians really would just care about revenue from energy sales pretty much at that point since it is clear any more substantial honest dealings with the West is pretty much impossible. Basically, it would only happen if there was serious money to be made but as far as business dealings at the point the Russian consumer market is already changing. People are getting use to the Russian made/owned alternatives.

I think Minsk was a real push even in 2021, people in the Donbas had been shelled on and off for years and there was already plenty of bad blood and it doesn’t seem like people in Crimea generally looked back. I think the war was still rushed, but yeah it was looking like eventually a conflict would happen, it was just the timing was off.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Starsfan posted:

i don't think this was actually true, but now that merkel and hollande have decided on "we were engaging in peace talks as a war ploy" as their narrative it must be assumed to have been true.

those press statements were really staggeringly irresponsible. just complete psycho poo poo.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Comrade Koba posted:

the…dutch? :ohdear:

That's red white and blue.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Ardennes posted:

In all honesty, if the Russians can get what they want, does it really matter?

the insane propaganda unleashed by this war is going to make even liberal russians feel anxious in europe when the current moment passes.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Tankbuster posted:

the insane propaganda unleashed by this war is going to make even liberal russians feel anxious in europe when the current moment passes.

Europeans will be too distracted by hunting down Asian people

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Tankbuster posted:

i find that following leonid ragozin's twitter account is useful in this regard

he's getting increasingly despondent as the war and its attendant propaganda go on

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Tankbuster posted:

TV Rain (Dozhd) is an opposition news organization that left Russia when they were listed as a foreign agent by the government. They moved to Latvia.

One of their reporters interviewed a Russian soldier who talked about how they didn't have appropriate clothing, food, etc. The reporter said that he hoped that their situation improved.

Latvia kicked them out of the country fior this.

TV Rain makes the shocked_pikachu.jpg face

Lol, lmao

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
lol that the baltics are going to lead the EU into losing more ground in africa.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Bunch of poo poo blew up on Iran, the government is saying they were drone attacks by some unnamed party. Retribution for sending Shaheds to Russia?
https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1619467465821675521

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

sum posted:

Bunch of poo poo blew up on Iran, the government is saying they were drone attacks by some unnamed party. Retribution for sending Shaheds to Russia?
https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1619467465821675521

might be to try to reignite the protests

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Starsfan posted:

Donrf posted:

So as not to answer separately in the comments - both in Slaviansk and elsewhere there was objectively no strength to hang on until August. Only to die a beautiful death. And a beautiful death would have led to the ORDLO not coming out either. Again, anyone interested google Irina Sinchalova and ask what this lady was doing in Donetsk in May. And what she was negotiating with Skif about. And where were the Luhansk people going, or rather not where, but to whom. It's now that I'm smart enough to understand that the Minsk agreements were announced by the mayor of Donetsk on 1.03.2014, and Slaviansk was in the way, but back then there were illusions too.
(from t.me/donrf22/13891, via tgsa)

Donrf posted:

People ask what it was like in Donetsk? There was a mass of forces, each pulling in its own direction. For me it was simple. The anti-Maidan, then an announcement in VK that Maidauns from Donogh were coming to take over on 23.02, so I went. Like more than a thousand other Don citizens. Then there was March 1, more than 20 thousand on the square, the festivities, when the crowds were led to the alminsky buildings for a month, in the evening they arrested those who were tearing down Ukrainian flags, the occupation of the administration by Gubarev and his arrest, when he himself left the building with activists...and so much more. Three forces quickly emerged. The grassroots wanted Crimea, Akhmetov wanted to scare Kyiv to get preferential treatment and a stratum that wanted the odd thing, that they would get everything without any consequences. In May, weapons began to appear, but not many. By the way, they persuaded us not to go to Sloviansk. They said the Russian Federation would come in, it's going to be like Crimea any day now, it was just to distract attention. And parallel power centres. Bezler, Skif and Zakharchenko. There was also a government and parliament, almost like a real one, but Pushylin, Makovich and company were respected less than a little. In Slavyansk, on the contrary, there was autocracy. And order. Again, I am not judging anyone, I was a radical, and I saw Donbass as part of the Russian Federation. The ones at the top didn't believe in it all that much. So...in detail, it was a great and terrifying time. Time. When we felt like a people. But there were also enough of those who stupidly solved their own problems. How could there not be during an upheaval? One thing I know for sure - if Strelkov had not entered Donetsk then its defence would have been doomed. Igor Ivanovich is an idealist
(from t.me/donrf22/13894, via tgsa)

Anyway, point is Ukrainian nazis can't have a country because they just can't resist cleansing the other half of the country the moment they get power.

There was stability when neither side could get the upper hand and things would just keep flip flopping between the two. But it all collapsed when one side seized all the power. The war started when Kiev launched ATO (anti-terrorist operation), they tried to bring DLNR to heel by force instead of negotiating. It didn't work out because of Russian intervention, so everyone tried to just carry on like business as usual. But it was too late, the nationalists/nazis were now a political force that nobody wanted to reign in.

Yeah most people don't want things to go back to normal, but that doesn't matter. Nobody gives a poo poo about what most people want, it's the blood thirsty psychos that get to decide what happens. Here and there.

Edit: Like Poroshenko (Canada's guy) was dealing with Medvedchuk (supposed Kremlin agent) to keep importing coal and whatever else from Donbas after the Ukrainian army failed at taking Donetsk even harder than the Russian army failed at taking Kiev. But look where we are now, just because those two wanted to keep their business deals going, and the guy that won the election promising a peaceful end to this war, doesn't mean that the war wouldn't happen. People say a lot of poo poo, but the ones with monopoly on violence are the ones that get to decide what happens. And it turns out that the Kiev government did not have a monopoly on violence.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 01:27 on Jan 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/VonClownsewitz/status/1619259142673403906

Vatnik twitter is tearing itself apart over RWA's now deleted thread