Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

silence_kit posted:

I am way less negative and cynical about the American system of government than the average politics goon.

I’m also not Republican nor am I generally against the concept of permitting more government control of society.

So brave and enlightened, perhaps the greater truth is somewhere in the middle??????????????

PG&E loving sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

silence_kit posted:

I see. If you are saying this, and not the KKKapitalism crowd, then I’m more willing to accept that PG&E’s negligence isn’t some Goon exaggeration of reality and drop it.

Literally every aspect of energy deregulation in CA has been an objective example of why energy deregulation is a bad idea but I guess you lived in CA for a couple years without your lights going out so must be the “KKKapitalists” crying wolf. Good job, very deep knowledge, excellent debate

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Highbrow Slick posted:

While true, SEIU still had to negotiate on behalf of workers and ultimately accept the changes. And this was pre-Janus, when they had more bargaining power. It will probably get worse for future state employees. Their current contract expires soon too.

I know exactly how productive arguing about counterfactuals is, but Brown had a lot of juice and the public was not thrilled about poo poo like the 6 figure pension club. I think militancy would have gone poorly.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tacier posted:

How many times could PG&E realistically go bankrupt and still emerge intact? There’s a whole swath of foothill communities just like Paradise, from Placerville to Grass Valley to Shingletown, that are at high risk. What happens when they burn the next one down? Is the CPUC so useless that they’d never break it up or municipalize it under any circumstances?

perhaps power infrastructure should not be privately owned or controlled op especially when it's owners and controllers have shown they mostly use it as a tool to extract wealth and murder their customers with. i mean realistically they'll never be allowed to go bankrupt because the state will never nationalize them or allow them to be fully privatized

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

perhaps power infrastructure should not be privately owned or controlled op especially when it's owners and controllers have shown they mostly use it as a tool to extract wealth and murder their customers with. i mean realistically they'll never be allowed to go bankrupt because the state will never nationalize them or allow them to be fully privatized

PG&E will literally never be allowed to fail, as in cease operations, because it would devastate the state, which is a very good reason why utilities shouldn't be ran by private, for-profit (but state subsidized) companies.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its kind of impressive how they really are the worst possible option

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
listen guys, we should probably give pg&e the benefit of the doubt. i mean has any private utility company operating in california ever deliberately provided unreliable service in a calculated effort to manipulate the market and drive profits, funneling ever greater shares of the money to executives and shareholders until eventually collapsing in a spectacular orgy of fraud so large that it destroyed one of the worlds largest accounting and auditing firms as a side effect? i'm going to assume it hasn't

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I can't believe someone just Calm Hitlered the CA politics thread about PG&E lmao

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
public utilities are truly an unknown quantity in California--just totally foreign to the American experience, and nobody in this thread could ever say firsthand what it would be like to be served by a publicly-owned electric power utility whose board is elected by ratepayers instead of shareholders

https://www.energy.ca.gov/data-reports/energy-almanac/california-electricity-data/electric-load-serving-entities-lses

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kenning posted:

I can't believe someone just Calm Hitlered the CA politics thread about PG&E lmao

its pretty funny tbh

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Greg12 posted:

public utilities are truly an unknown quantity in California--just totally foreign to the American experience, and nobody in this thread could ever say firsthand what it would be like to be served by a publicly-owned electric power utility whose board is elected by ratepayers instead of shareholders

https://www.energy.ca.gov/data-reports/energy-almanac/california-electricity-data/electric-load-serving-entities-lses

Maybe PG&E can buy them out and save us from the perils of government run services. Did you know all the problems wouldn't be solved?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I think goons rush to say "nationalize X" a bit much, but PG&E is not one of those cases.

gently caress PG&E.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
idk what the gently caress I just read but I have learned that I am a part of the "KKKapitalism crowd" because I think it was bad that PG&E wiped an entire town off the map in pursuit of executive bonuses. Very enlightening stuff, thank you.

Highbrow Slick posted:

Yes in California it’s called PEPRA and it means if you were hired in 2013 or later your CalPERS benefits are reduced compared to older employees. For a lot of state workers it increased retirement age from 55 to 62, but it also increased how much the newer employees pay towards that reduced pension each month (higher % of salary) and reduced other benefits as well such as health insurance compensation after retirement.

It’s still decent imo, but if you were hired by the state in 2012 you’re on easy street compared to anyone that started in 2013 or later.

Yep my pension is 2% at 62, with my "salary" for payout purposes being the average of my five highest consecutive earning years, capped at $150K. My co-workers who've been around longer have 2% at 55, no salary cap for payout purposes, and a lower contribution requirement on top. Like my pension is honestly still not that bad, but the older version was an absolute golden ticket assuming CalPERS doesn't fold.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Well, thanks for the education everyone, TIL. I wonder if my sister and my dad talk about this, they’re both public employees but on different sides of the cutoff.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
as a state employee myself, i don't feel it's fair to lay it all at the boomers feet when my gen x and millennial colleagues have no interest in pushing back against sacramento themselves. the latest offer after 2 years of negotiating is an insult that doesn't even pretend to keep up with cost of living, yet it seems like the mood in my district is to just be happy with what we can get. if we're not going to fight for ourselves i think it's a bit gauche to complain that our predecessors didn't fight for us preemptively

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Get what you can now because the COVID money gravy train is running on fumes and we're in for hurt. Probably what they were thinking

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

as a state employee myself, i don't feel it's fair to lay it all at the boomers feet when my gen x and millennial colleagues have no interest in pushing back against sacramento themselves. the latest offer after 2 years of negotiating is an insult that doesn't even pretend to keep up with cost of living, yet it seems like the mood in my district is to just be happy with what we can get. if we're not going to fight for ourselves i think it's a bit gauche to complain that our predecessors didn't fight for us preemptively

"Our predecessors fighting for us" is kind of the definition of solidarity, no?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Kenning posted:

Branching out from the power generation thread.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sydin posted:

idk what the gently caress I just read but I have learned that I am a part of the "KKKapitalism crowd" because I think it was bad that PG&E wiped an entire town off the map in pursuit of executive bonuses. Very enlightening stuff, thank you.

the true horseshoe theory

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

jokes posted:

Boomers' well-documented delusions made them want the rich people to be richer because they were going to be rich, especially if it made everyone else a lot, lot poorer. Whether it was conscious or not, that's their legacy: a truly absurd increase in the GINI index without justification other than self-delusion.

They fell for capitalist propaganda just like you are doing right now.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Question to every poster itt saying something needs to change.

What are you doing about it?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ranter posted:

Leaving this stupid country.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

FlapYoJacks posted:

Leaving this stupid country.

It's getting worse everywhere else, coward.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Ranter posted:

ive tried nothing and im all out of ideas

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
also I vote very hard

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i do work with DSA but i live in the middle of nowhere and i am not a computer toucher who's retired or working remote 20 hours a week so my time to organize is limited. mostly i show up and help out sometimes.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Ranter posted:

Taking a huge poo poo.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
donate to Bernie and vote against fundie deplorable teabaggrunts like that little fascist shitstain Kiley or McClintock.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Posting on the internet and calling people who disagree with me libs

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Larry Parrish posted:

i do work with DSA but i live in the middle of nowhere and i am not a computer toucher who's retired or working remote 20 hours a week so my time to organize is limited. mostly i show up and help out sometimes.

You're doing 100% more than 99% of people that wonder why things are getting worse and lament that the people before them also didn't do anything.

I will be mocked but here's what I did to stop wanting to kill myself.

-Educated myself on why this is happening.
-Deleted Reddit, Facebook and Instagram.
-Joined the DSA.
-Through DSA got connected to people organizing in something I'm interested in.
-Learned how to 'organize' (and how not to, it's the DSA and anarchists after all).
-Joined a communist party.
-Learned/Confirmed what I really needed to be doing.
-Began learning how to organize effectively.
-Quit my 20 hour week remote upper level computer job and got a 40 hours onsite low level computer job in a big team.
-Joined my union.
-Got involved in my union.
-Befriend, Agitate & Educate and demonstrate leadership to my fellow workers.

Took 3 years to get here but for the first time in 10 years I feel alive, connected, and optimistic. I'm surrounded by revolutionaries, men older than me with kids, 17 year olds with 2 years left in high school that are smarter Marxists than I, college students that work 20+ hours a week organizing and serving the people.

It makes you feel better. Do it!

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 28, 2023

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
anyone who mocks you for that should be banned

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FlapYoJacks posted:

They fell for capitalist propaganda just like you are doing right now.

Boomers are a symptom of capitalism

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.
Speaking of helping out, the California Nurses Union is starting another push to get CalCare passed. We are approaching a critical mass of legistators who openly support universal health care in California. If you have some spare cycles, every little bit will help:
https://www.nationalnursesunited.org/calcare

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Ranter posted:

You're doing 100% more than 99% of people that wonder why things are getting worse and lament that the people before them also didn't do anything.

I will be mocked but here's what I did to stop wanting to kill myself.

It makes you feel better. Do it!

All of this is very good and I super support it. I think it's also worth pointing out that sometimes people go online to post and blow off steam and aren't necessarily just blackpilling themselves into oblivion, and that's also a fine way to keep oneself going.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Kenning posted:

All of this is very good and I super support it. I think it's also worth pointing out that sometimes people go online to post and blow off steam and aren't necessarily just blackpilling themselves into oblivion, and that's also a fine way to keep oneself going.

Nah if they're whining but then don't do anything then they're just like the boomers they're complaining about. Remember, I didn't say people posting here are doing nothing, I asked people posting here what they're doing about it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Lmao

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
he's not wrong. blackpilled posting ftl. but i object to it on the grounds that it's boring to read and not funny and i get tired of people making ultra mad posts and then two seconds later going back to talking about how bad their stocks are doing or w.e.

But also that's not really a problem in this thread lol

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The only stocks I care about are the rainbow trout in the McCloud River I tell you hwhat

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

CPColin posted:

The only stocks I care about are the rainbow trout in the McCloud River I tell you hwhat
and the beef stock in a good Pho!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

jokes posted:

Boomers are a symptom of capitalism

No. There are shitloads of poor boomers that got shafted by capital.