Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

RBA-Wintrow posted:

His competition went "If Russia invades Poland and the Baltic states we should not help. Russia trying to conquer Europe is not our problem, even though we are on the list to be conquered too. We should just stay out of it. I for one welcome our new Russian Overlord."

He got 42% of the votes anyway.

Petr Pavel looks like that Manly Man meme. Or "Tom Cruise but old".

42% in two-candidate race is comically bad result, if there originally was no clear favorite. I would not read too much into it, the main thing is that the not-Putinist won by a clear margin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Babiš result in no way reflects that 40% of the population is pro Russian, it reflects the fact that while Babiš sucks real bad, Pavel is the candidate of the chud parties and national politics isn't about Russia.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

LordoftheScheisse posted:

https://www.msn.com/pl-pl/wiadomosc...apphireappshare

Random Polish MSN article about a Russian presidential helicopter crashing. Putin wasn't expected to be on board. :shrug:

Wow, hard to say if this is significant or not. I mean, a helicopter crash with Putin on board would def be covered in this haphazard and ambigiuous way as a Death of Stalinisque power struggle takes place in Russia's cabinets of power.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Barry Bluejeans posted:

This, but for donating tanks

That is still one of the absolute best images to explaining political change in policy.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

https://twitter.com/apmassaro3/status/1619345640458424320?t=hGqtNXCk39f078m6JM1PUw&s=19

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Grape posted:

That is still one of the absolute best images to explaining political change in policy.

Waiting is not doing nothing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfMT6-ptP-g

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Considering what I've heard of busy work in the military like cutting the lawn with scissors type stuff, you'd think there'd be less rusted out tanks sitting around. Like once a year they can't order private gently caress face to go spray some Rustoleum on them?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

Considering what I've heard of busy work in the military like cutting the lawn with scissors type stuff, you'd think there'd be less rusted out tanks sitting around. Like once a year they can't order private gently caress face to go spray some Rustoleum on them?

In Russia, its because the rustoleum-equivalent wasn't actually bought, it was just marked to books as used and the money pocketed, and that private is already working on some money-making scheme for the colonel or captain full time. And the officer inspecting the tanks is in on that scheme and writes it off every time.

And that one officer who demands that the rustproofing stuff is actually bought and time is spent applying it, is the same one that keeps disappearing during exercises in the wilderness. And the following investigation is written off by the brigade commander who, get this, is in on the "just pocket the money and use the conscripts as prison labor"-scheme.

In EU countries, its because professional maintenance and keeping gear and vehicles in "usable with moment's notice" condition is surprisingly costly, and this was stuff that everyone not-bordering Russia thought that they will never, ever, need for anything. So it was just let to rot in the storage because no money was allocated on keeping it in usable condition. As it has turned out on some occasions, not even on "repairable" condition.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 28, 2023

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Power Khan posted:

Please do not feel attacked when I say this, I do not care about Kofman and I don't actively follow him. He's not making me angry or worried with what he's saying. It's a gut feeling and there's just nothing there. I have never read or heard anything from him that made me go "well, that's enlightening" or interesting. I can't put my finger on it, he just feels off. Idk what sort of great credentials he has, I don't see it.

e: Had the same feeling about local "russia experts" at my university and it wasn't wrong.

Kofman was one of the people who caught on early that Russia's build-up in Fall '21 was different and not a bluff. He's overestimated the Russian military, like almost everyone else, but did solid analysis on the reasons for that poor performance fairly early after the war started in the War on the Rocks and Geopolitics Decanted podcasts. He was definitely one of the most insightful people to listen to and get oriented about the whys and hows of the military developments on the ground for me, but you obviously might have come from a different starting point. I think his first major article after the invasion was this one with Rob Lee:

https://warontherocks.com/2022/06/not-built-for-purpose-the-russian-militarys-ill-fated-force-design/

quote:

Russia had 66 battalion tactical groups in 2016 with plans to rapidly increase the figure to 96 by the end of the year, 115 in 2017, and 126 in 2018. Shoigu said Russia had 136 battalion tactical groups in 2019 and 168 in August 2021. These are supposed to have between 700 to 900 servicemembers, but as the official number of battalion tactical groups was rapidly increasing, the number of soldiers serving under contract plateaued, and the annual draft figure has remained largely unchanged over the past four years.
It appears the Russian armed forces achieved this target by reducing the number of personnel in each battalion, including the number in each company, which has had a significant effect on operations in Ukraine. There were two important outcomes of this decision. First, Russia’s offensive maneuver formations, assuming around 125 to 130 battalion tactical groups as disclosed by official U.S. sources, were in practice much smaller when we consider their actual strength.
Second, these formations were heavily weighted towards artillery, armor, support, and enablers rather than motorized rifle infantry and the availability of dismounted units. The effect on Russia’s ability to operate in urban terrain, support armor with dismounted infantry, and control terrain was profound. There were also shortages of key personnel, from enablers to logistics, and the force was far more brittle than many (including us) had assumed.
In practice, this means that many Russian motorized rifle squads only have enough soldiers to operate their vehicles, but not to dismount and fight on foot.

I absolutely get your opinion on the think tank class, but to put things into context, I'd appreciate if you let us know whom you consider to be more trustworthy and insightful commentators on the war, if Kofman doesn't make the cut.

zone
Dec 6, 2016
https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/comments/10np3tz/russian_news_mocking_nato_tanks/
These copes are getting weirder by the day.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faFuaYA-daw&t=54s

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Toxic Mental posted:

What's their forums username

Re*ard a gently caress

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

zone
Dec 6, 2016
https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1618715040521281536
i'm doing my part.jpg :goonsay:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

didn't count, but i am gonna say there are 160 people there

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
All the 'we will wipe the floor with hundreds of Abrams' stuff is funny cuz the first 24 hours after the news about western tanks was basically an audible 'oh poo poo that really is not good' gasp from war-involved Russians

eg https://www.mk.ru/politics/2023/01/25/ekspert-sprognoziroval-iskhod-tankovykh-dueley-vs-rossii-s-abramsami.html

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Hannibal Rex posted:

I absolutely get your opinion on the think tank class, but to put things into context, I'd appreciate if you let us know whom you consider to be more trustworthy and insightful commentators on the war, if Kofman doesn't make the cut.

Not a fan of wordy commentators. It's just intense personal dislike of Kofman (I have always felt the same thing about Chomsky). Mark Hertling, Carlo Masala, Rob Lee are good follows on twitter. Bunch of others that got completely swamped and no longer show up in the feed since the recent twitter changes. LivFaustDieJung is fine for shitposting sprinkled with some military insider knowledge.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Abrams tax

https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1619288878237757441

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
it's time to play this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCkFSe3voRc

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

You gotta get in as much damage as you can while the weak point is red & blinking, otherwise you gotta wait for the tank to cycle through its attacks again

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

This reminds me of Dogfights from the History Channel when they did their FUTURE WAR episode.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

:haibrow: tbh this entire album is really really good

'As you can see, if you just click on the red pixels here and here, the T-90 will easily ammo rack the Abrams.'
'How do you get around side of the tank, and close enough?'
'Next question please'

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lol but also has there even been a tank battle in this war? They should probably worry more about a hundred tanks running over the hordes of their mobiks

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

Lol but also has there even been a tank battle in this war? They should probably worry more about a hundred tanks running over the hordes of their mobiks

nope, Ukraine stole all of Russia's tanks

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

mobby_6kl posted:

Iirc theres actually (likely?) been a bunch of tank on tank engagements to the east, where a lot of the tank elements Ukraine has are stationed, but that portion of the line has EXTREME media clamp down on it.

There was some small discussion on it way early on.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Grape posted:

Maybe before Republicans under Obama it was

Now the graph has to hit like 90% before Republicans acknowledge a slight majority may be interested in something but they have "concerns about moving too quickly"

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

They asked The Chieftain on youtube if they aim at specific spots and the anwer was no, you aim center mass. If you get a side shot on a tank, any tank, congratulations, you will pen and probably kill the engine, the crew or any of the mission critical things tightly packed inside.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Looks like someone got the slides mixed up for 73 Easting.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

bob dobbs is dead posted:

if they told bloomberg, the cia prolly knows the contents of their fuckin buttholes, dont they
I believe the contents of mobiks' buttholes is somewhat digested raw potatoes.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

karoshi posted:

They asked The Chieftain on youtube if they aim at specific spots and the anwer was no, you aim center mass. If you get a side shot on a tank, any tank, congratulations, you will pen and probably kill the engine, the crew or any of the mission critical things tightly packed inside.

They told us in the basic training to aim for the center of the joint where the turret meets the body, especially if you get a side shot; this obviously was against Russian tanks and other stuff with turrets. Then again, they also told that those un-upgraded M72 LAWs do more than just piss off the MBT coming at you, so they really weren't counting on us non-frontline guys to do the antitank operations for the brigade.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

angel number :angel:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

when you copy off the paper of the guy next to you but he's wrong
https://twitter.com/IvarDale/status/1618745083481964544?s=20&t=ItWrATLqTM4phtEYaS762w

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Lmao

https://twitter.com/TankDiary/status/1619340206511132673

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Dr. Quarex posted:

Maybe before Republicans under Obama it was

Now the graph has to hit like 90% before Republicans acknowledge a slight majority may be interested in something but they have "concerns about moving too quickly"

Alas America would be a much better place if politicians were actually that responsive to public opinion. Still it was funny to watch when gay marriage approval flipped over 50% and Obama suddenly had "evolving personal views" about it.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Wow, it's like the sides and rear of a tank aren't as heavily-protected as the front :thunk:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Wow, it's like the sides and rear of a tank aren't as heavily-protected as the front :thunk:
I'd solve this problem by just making it equally armored on all sides :histdowns:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM6nRHz2dnI

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'd solve this problem by just making it equally armored on all sides :histdowns:

:whitewater:

Fake edit:
And even that POS wasn't evenly-armoured.

You'd have to look at Da Vinci's drug-induced bullshit pipe-dreams like this loving abomination:

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1619473378955653121?t=j0D56B-MNKcrifZOoKyD7A&s=19