Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Well that's on you for not picking the promotion with the good outfit. The goofy mage knight cape was made for Citrinne.

The horse has a wizard hat :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

citrinne's str growth wasnt made for mage knight tho

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also the outfit is whatever but the way sages teleport their tomes into their hands is cool.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Since I've beaten the game I'm playing a new game with mods on Ryu to see all the people I missed, so I'm not worried about being inefficient. +1,000 SP books for 2000 cash in the item shop is nice

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've never actually used a sage which is a first for me, all the tome princesses got to stay in their princess class.

I gave Citrinne the Sigurd ring and made her a railgun, though, she seemed to like that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Man, Clanne gets pretty much zero magic growth, but his speed and defenses are so high he doesn't NEED magic growth. I was planning to pivot him physical but at chapter 11 so far he's tanky/dodgy enough as a Mage Knight to just sit on the front lines and double-hit anything that comes after him with the biggest heaviest book I can find.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Bruceski posted:

Man, Clanne gets pretty much zero magic growth, but his speed and defenses are so high he doesn't NEED magic growth. I was planning to pivot him physical but at chapter 11 so far he's tanky/dodgy enough as a Mage Knight to just sit on the front lines and double-hit anything that comes after him with the biggest heaviest book I can find.

Reading 'Clanne' and 'tanky/dodgy' just gave me whiplash. But just because of that I'm growing Jean or whatever into a Berserker

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Levin Sword became the best weapon for me, 3 of my units have it just because there's so many armored generals and great knights that you just need someone with low double-digit magic to punch through.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Barreft posted:

Reading 'Clanne' and 'tanky/dodgy' just gave me whiplash. But just because of that I'm growing Jean or whatever into a Berserker

At Mage Knight 5 mine only has 14 magic but 23 dex, 21 speed, and his 13/16 def/res aren't making him immune to anything that connects but it's enough that I don't have to worry about not having time to recover. 47 avoid is on the same tier as my Chloe and Yunaka right now. They're not wading into as many people as possible like Louis is, but who does?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Hellioning posted:

Micaiah's paralogue was a shame upon the real 3-13's memory.

I sorta sympathize with trying to figure out how to get RD maps to work without the high ground/low ground mechanic but yeah: Micaiah needed to have like 3x the forces and your army should have all started further back by the defensive zone.

At least the Bearer of Hope remix is pretty good.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Bruceski posted:

They're not wading into as many people as possible like Louis is, but who does?

My Chloe does, because nothing can hit her.

Also I made Lapis into a sword general and she can double armored units with the anti-armor sword.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Micaiah's paralogue would have been much improved by having multiple enemies spread throughout with revival gems and better weapons, like Marth's paralogue did. I'm surprised more of the paralogues didn't do that.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Einander posted:

Micaiah's paralogue would have been much improved by having multiple enemies spread throughout with revival gems and better weapons, like Marth's paralogue did. I'm surprised more of the paralogues didn't do that.

Yeah. She has them, but they don't spawn in until either a certain turn count or when she loses a revival gem...but she's a squishy mage surrounded by my units at that point, so I could just ignore them.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Hortensia running around and sizing up everyone in the army based on solely cuteness is pretty funny

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Hortensia and her retainers are great, yeah.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gameplay things in Engage that I love and hope come back in the future:

- Unit types. Just a great way to give classes more distinct identities and strengths even outside of their stats, weapon access, and skills.

- The Break system. Less threatening to the player than I was anticipating, but very satisfying to use against enemies, and it’s also great to help set up kills for weaker or squishier units.

- Revival gems. An evolution on the multiple health bar monsters from 3H but applied to all bosses and even mini bosses or strong enemies, and it’s fantastic. I feel like any time a random enemy has a revival gem it forces me to think on my feet and it’s a lot of fun to work around.

- Just the generally increased enemy aggression or, maybe more accurately, enemies being especially proactive. I feel like a lot of maps threaten to overwhelm the player with enemies who are not content to wait for you to approach and, again, it makes me think on my feet and that’s fun.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Hellioning posted:

Hortensia and her retainers are great, yeah.

If you play with Japanese language, her voice actor is the lead from Asobi Asobase. So she will never leave my squad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwNefloy9fw

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Eng Hortensia really turned me off from using the dub, and probably save it for a 2nd playthrough for variety's sake. Both because the direction they went with I dislike a lot (and I've seen clips of the supports to further my choice), and Asobase absolutely killed it as an extremely funny but innocent Hortensia.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm going to be disappointed when the next Fire Emblem doesn't have your army double as a lunatic asylum.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Chapter 20 end spoilers really like how after Alear's fell dragon reveal Hortensia just goes "lol whatever we used to worship the fell dragon anyways". Meanwhile Ivy's coping in the corner.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Chapter 13: Huh, I'd already done a skirmish that had corrupted mixed in with bandits, but I wasn't expecting it to be a thing that actually canonically happens sometimes. Curious if that's going to be elaborated on at all, because without any further context it seems... weird.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

RuBisCO posted:

Chapter 20 end spoilers really like how after Alear's fell dragon reveal Hortensia just goes "lol whatever we used to worship the fell dragon anyways". Meanwhile Ivy's coping in the corner.

Was chuckling that in her supports she reveals she started worshiping the divine dragon as a gently caress you to dad when she was in her rebellious faze, but after a while she came around to "huh actually now that I think about it maybe worshiping the good dragon... makes more sense than worshiping the bad one???"

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
My Anna is still an axe fighter at level 8. If I want to change her to a high priest, what is the correct upgrade path?

Also any other class recommendations for her?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Midgame spoilers Losing all your emblems to cap off Arc 1 is a good move.

Less good is that this completely screws you out of Tome and Staff proficiency for almost the entirety of Act 2.

why the heck don't you give Tomes proficiency Byleth

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i think someone made a typo and listed the spooky scroll's price as 10g instead of 100g lol. it's literally cheaper than horse poo poo

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

poe meater posted:

My Anna is still an axe fighter at level 8. If I want to change her to a high priest, what is the correct upgrade path?

Also any other class recommendations for her?

Best way to do it at this point is to 1.) make sure she has Tome, Arts and Staff proficiency 2.) continue leveling her to 10 and promote her to whatever class and then 3.) Second Seal her to High Priest.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Pureauthor posted:

Less good is that this completely screws you out of Tome and Staff proficiency for almost the entirety of Act 2.

It was a swift kick in the rear end cause I wasn't expecting something like that to happen at all and I wasn't familiar enough with the system so it was like starting over again.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 29, 2023

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think the earlygame is pretty solid honestly. It's certainly faster paced than your average FE and maybe goes to the drama a bit too quickly without as much set-up but outside of that it feels pretty standard FE if a bit lighter and with more of a focus on like character introductions. There's some wonkiness there but it mostly works out and I think the intro's fast pace is ultimately a good thing.

I guess a couple characters maybe feel a bit more shallow at first than they actually are but hey, you're bound to get a couple supports for everyone by the time you actually start benching people. So the gang gets some decent time to breathe.

The big emotional moment really, really doesn't hit for me at the start of the game because of how rushed it is, so between that, the amnesia plot again, and the frontloading of the player worship characters, I can see how it turns people off. But even with that I find it fun and charming, and if it's uphill from here like people say I feel I'm going to come out pretty positive about the writing.
It really helps that it looks so good and you can feel that it has a sense of fun in the writing.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 29, 2023

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

mycatscrimes posted:

The big emotional moment really, really doesn't hit for me at the start of the game because of how rushed it is, so between that, the amnesia plot again, and the frontloading of the player worship characters, I can see how it turns people off. But even with that I find it fun and charming, and if it's uphill from here like people say I feel I'm going to come out feeling positive about the story and writing.
It really helps that it looks so good and you can feel like it has a sense of fun in the writing.

Best thing anyones said is it's you waking up from a 1,000 year sleep tasked to save the world with a whole bunch of loving weirdos who think they're all totally normal.

i'm replaying and Framme's first thing is telling Alear how shiny he is when he sweats and he tells her like, dont look at me and say that, thats weird wtf

e: Vander trying to learn to dance, or "boogie down" is another stupid but great one

Barreft fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 29, 2023

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Chapter 17 kicked my rear end on Hard, any tips? I think my mistake was splitting forces to the lower west and north. I plotted it out so that I could clear the starting area, but now I'm thinking I press north to rush Griss and take it from the middle? Mauvier and Marni carved my forces up

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Barreft posted:

Best thing anyones said is it's you waking up from a 1,000 year sleep tasked to save the world with a whole bunch of loving weirdos who think they're all totally normal.

i'm replaying and Framme's first thing is telling Alear how shiny he is when he sweats and he tells her like, dont look at me and say that, thats weird wtf

e: Vander trying to learn to dance, or "boogie down" is another stupid but great one

Despite all the complaining I read about the starting characters I immediately found them pretty endearing. :) And it's fun that Alear is the 'normal' one.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 29, 2023

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

Best way to do it at this point is to 1.) make sure she has Tome, Arts and Staff proficiency 2.) continue leveling her to 10 and promote her to whatever class and then 3.) Second Seal her to High Priest.

Okay so I would master seal her at lvl 10 to whatever advanced class and then immediately second seal her to High Priest?

I get confused because looking at it right now, High Priest requires fists, tome, and staff proficiency with Martial Monk Lvl 10.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

poe meater posted:

Okay so I would master seal her at lvl 10 to whatever advanced class and then immediately second seal her to High Priest?

I get confused because looking at it right now, High Priest requires fists, tome, and staff proficiency with Martial Monk Lvl 10.

Yeah you can Second Seal from any promoted class into any other promoted class as long as you have the correct proficiencies. The reason you promote first is that Second Sealing from Axe Fighter to Martial Monk would reset you to level 1 so you would have to get back up to level 10 before promoting to High Priest.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
'Why am I the only normal one here?' Alear wonders to herself as she kidnaps her 5th donkey for the day

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

mycatscrimes posted:

Despite all the complaining I read about the starting characters I immediately found them pretty endearing. :) And it's fun that Alear is the 'normal' one.

It only gets better. You'll have a good time

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

Yeah you can Second Seal from any promoted class into any other promoted class as long as you have the correct proficiencies. The reason you promote first is that Second Sealing from Axe Fighter to Martial Monk would reset you to level 1 so you would have to get back up to level 10 before promoting to High Priest.

Okay thank you. I'm not sure what I expected but Anna looks extra silly as an axe armor.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

...whelp, welcome to the bench Anna.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

holy poo poo Yunaka lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NrJh_uFzRA

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think the beginning of the game is like objectively the worst foot forward, watching a lot of even-the-most-forgiving people kinda groan at the start.

Having replayed the previous games in the run up, it's really easy to forget that Fate actually had a nice lead-up to the split decision, before Hinoka and such were banished forever to the same zone that Hortensia/Celine/Fogado currently occupy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Pureauthor posted:

... why would he. It's literally the one weapon type he DOESN'T have (that was in his game, looking at you daggers), if you count Thyrsus as a staff.

Though Emblem Byleth is a giant pile of nonsense anyway, I suppose. Virtually all the things he has are things he physically cannot do in 3 houses. Can't dance, can't use Relics besides Sword of the Creator, and gives Rafail Gem to the one sub class that has no effective weaknesses anyway (seriously why)

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 29, 2023