Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Arquinsiel posted:

You can run a native-American themed gang in Necromunda that's a racist pun based around making clothes out of the skins of giant rats.

They can drop the native American theme like they dropped the the Redemptionists theme. Hunter gatherers subsisting on rats in the under-under-hive is a good schtick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Yvonmukluk posted:

I don't think they're still officially supported by GW in the new edition any more, at least.
Scabs is one, and they're still selling a fleshtone named after them so... :shrug:

War and Pieces posted:

They can drop the native American theme like they dropped the the Redemptionists theme. Hunter gatherers subsisting on rats in the under-under-hive is a good schtick
They'd need to do a smidge more than just changing the headwear, but they definitely could do it. Unfortunately last I looked they were still all-in on the mystical "wise savage" bullshit.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Arquinsiel posted:

Scabs is one, and they're still selling a fleshtone named after them so... :shrug:

They'd need to do a smidge more than just changing the headwear, but they definitely could do it. Unfortunately last I looked they were still all-in on the mystical "wise savage" bullshit.

They don't exist in the current edition of necromunda. No models or rules AFAIK. Closest things are the rat themed units in Cawdor I guess?

quote:

Within the Redemption, the worship of false idols is a grievous heresy, and the word-keepers are swift to punish those who see the divine in sanctioned places. This of course does not stop members of Clan Cawdor from making effigies to the God-Emperor from hive detritus or building shrines beneath particularly auspicious looking gunk-stains. Then there are men like Rattus Tatterskin who hear the Emperor's voice in the incessant squeaking of his rats.

Tatterskin claims to have spoken with the spirit of the Emperor, who he says inhabits the body of a gigantic rat deep in the depths of the underhive. The 'Emperor' sent some of His servants to Tatterskin, so that Cawdor scum might understand His divine will. As it turns out, the divine will of the Rat-Emperor is that the hive be purged of the enemies of the Redemption, something Tatterskin has taken to with great vigour.

Rattus Tatterskin is a Hired Gun for Necromunda and can be used exclusively by House Cawdor gangs. He and his heavy stubber can boost a Cawdor gang's firepower – and as his rats whisper the words of the Rat-Emperor to him (yes, really!), he can go insane and become even more dangerous.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 29, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

War and Pieces posted:

Redemptionists are a subfaftion of House Cawdor and don't have pointed hoods anymore at least

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 29, 2023

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
House Cawdor minis look rad and I really do think the pointed hood thing was more a Europeans not thinking about our backwater racist idiots enough than anything else.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

D-Pad posted:

I don't know all the details but GW did some kind of retconning where chaos undivided isn't really a thing anymore but also perturabo and lorgar weren't subsequently aligned with any of the four so I'm not sure exactly how it works.

I think maybe it's just that they are unaligned and getting a more general power from chaos and not directly from the four gods in equal number? I dunno I'm not very clear on that.

Edit: found a thread on it https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/hkz9ns/is_chaos_undivided_truly_retconned_or_no/

That confusion about their nature seems to me to give them a lot of potential for involvement with new lore. And they're the only two, unless Alpharius or Omegon is somehow still around, that we have no clue what they're doing even in general terms since they're unaligned.

Deptfordx posted:

Perturabo, rather than Vashtorr being the weaponsmith of Chaos and trying to bootstrap himself into 'Chaos God of the Dark Mechanicus' would have made a lot of sense.

It really would have! Maybe he'll be involved with this faction.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
If a Chapter is mentioned only a single time in a single 2019 codex, that still makes it canonical for the purpose of the Black Library submission event, right? :haw:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

MMAgCh posted:

If a Chapter is mentioned only a single time in a single 2019 codex, that still makes it canonical for the purpose of the Black Library submission event, right? :haw:

I'd allow it.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Just finished Mark of Faith by Rachel Harrison. The best way I can describe it is that it's basically taking 40k as serious and straight as you can. Complete with "I did nothing actually wrong, but feel I lost faith for half a second as a Sister of Battle, therefore I am putting myself in the Sisters Repentia".

Don't get me wrong, it's a competent book and the characters have their motivations, but it's that sense that none of the main characters are having fun at any points in their lives. They only want to "Serve and be of service" as they say in John Wick. The closest they get to their characters actually feeling like mortals (I guess that's the best way to put it) is that there's an implied relationship between the Inquisitor and one of her followers.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Inspector_666 posted:

House Cawdor minis look rad and I really do think the pointed hood thing was more a Europeans not thinking about our backwater racist idiots enough than anything else.

Capirotes can look very cool and it's loving annoying that people look at poo poo like Blasphemous and go "video game character have KKK hood??" but it's probably a fight one is bound to lose.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Inspector_666 posted:

All I read for like two straight years was BL stuff, almost all 40k (I did a decent amount of HH early on it) and yeah, it stuck out. The characterization and dialog were just...well, like I said, I forced myself to finish it.

Who are some of your favorite BL authors?

I’ve pretty much been on the same journey and Fehervari to me was a breath of fresh air. I could smell that drat jungle.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Deptfordx posted:

Perturabo, rather than Vashtorr being the weaponsmith of Chaos and trying to bootstrap himself into 'Chaos God of the Dark Mechanicus' would have made a lot of sense.

Isn't his thing less innovation and more innate knowledge and skill?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Good grief, Forgotten Sons in Age of Darkness is a loving mess. Is this Nick Kyme in general?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
I read Fire Caste as well and yeah, it was a real slog to get through - like the prose was really hard to parse and the author was being obtuse and incomprehensible for the sake of it at the expense of a coherent storyline . Also read one of the Angels Penitent stories and didn't find it much better, though being a short story it was easier to get through.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Calax posted:

Just finished Mark of Faith by Rachel Harrison. The best way I can describe it is that it's basically taking 40k as serious and straight as you can.

Feels like that describes her stuff in a nutshell, Honorbound had a very similar feeling to, and her short story in Sabbat War was also kinda the same.

Finished that anthology yesterday, my biggest surprise was Abnett using the word "tits" in a sentence.
Admittedly it was for Zhukova talking about how others viewed her and her accomplishments, but the usage surprised me since I'm used to the books being kinda clean and straight laced in a way.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Black Griffon posted:

Good grief, Forgotten Sons in Age of Darkness is a loving mess. Is this Nick Kyme in general?

Yes

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?

Cooked Auto posted:

Feels like that describes her stuff in a nutshell, Honorbound had a very similar feeling to, and her short story in Sabbat War was also kinda the same.

Finished that anthology yesterday, my biggest surprise was Abnett using the word "tits" in a sentence.
Admittedly it was for Zhukova talking about how others viewed her and her accomplishments, but the usage surprised me since I'm used to the books being kinda clean and straight laced in a way.

Officer tits: let's be precise here!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Improbable Lobster posted:

They don't exist in the current edition of necromunda. No models or rules AFAIK. Closest things are the rat themed units in Cawdor I guess?

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Necromunda-Kal-Jerico-and-Scabs-2019

Inspector_666 posted:

I suspect it was GW in the 90s not really thinking that it'd become mainstream enough to not even bother with the hoods anymore and thus it was a safe thing to mock, plus as Black Griffon points out it's an old Catholic thing and GW likes mocking old Catholic stuff.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Oofa doofa. Well, at least I'm prepared.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Gooses and Geeses posted:

Officer tits: let's be precise here!

Which is exactly what she is complaining about. :v:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/01/29/sunday-preview-get-mad-as-hell-and-fight-the-entire-galaxy

Do you like blood?
Do you like taking skulls?
Then next week's pre-orders are just for you!

First up we have Angron: The Red Angel by David Guymer.
Available in both Special Edition.

But also regular hardback, audio and ebook.

A book that GW technically already spoiled last week in a lore dump about Angron. :v:

Keeping up with the theme we also have Renegades of the Long War, an anthology featuring; Lucius: The Faultless Blade and Lucius: Pride and Fall by Ian St. Martin, Khârn: Eater of Worlds by Anthony Reynolds, ons of the Hydra by Rob Sanders.

For those who want to be scared there is Unholy: Tales of Horror and Woe from the Imperium. An anthology that collects collects The Oubliette by J C Stearns, Sepulturum by Nick Kyme, The Deacon of Wounds by David Annandale, and The Bookkeeper’s Skull by Justin D Hill.

For those who care adventures in the days of (warhammer) yore, there is Blackhearts: The Omnibus by Nathan Long.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I'm sure the capirote look was supposed to be more Spanish penitent than Klansy Kousinfucker, but oh well.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Black Griffon posted:

Capirotes can look very cool and it's loving annoying that people look at poo poo like Blasphemous and go "video game character have KKK hood??" but it's probably a fight one is bound to lose.

Oh yeah, killing that look for the mini is the right call, I just don't think it was GW trying to be edgy rather than using a more local vernacular that doesn't translate at all.

Miguel Prado posted:

Who are some of your favorite BL authors?

I’ve pretty much been on the same journey and Fehervari to me was a breath of fresh air. I could smell that drat jungle.

The usual names are my favorites, but I can try to write up an actual critique later when I'm not on my phone. My taste in books is also pretty lowbrow in general.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

The Demilich posted:

I'm sure the capirote look was supposed to be more Spanish penitent than Klansy Kousinfucker, but oh well.

It is unfortunate that the worst types of scum on earth decided to adopt it

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh yeah, killing that look for the mini is the right call, I just don't think it was GW trying to be edgy rather than using a more local vernacular that doesn't translate at all.

Oh yeah I totally agree. The blame lies with ignorant dipshits and the unfortunate weight of history.

Edit: not that the catholic church is like... uh yeah you know that's a discussion for another day.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Angron needs to stop taking axe lessons from Skarbrand. Stop choking up on the axe so much.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Arc Hammer posted:

Angron needs to stop taking axe lessons from Skarbrand. Stop choking up on the axe so much.

nah its like how figurine spears are always really short and stumpy for spears cuz they break off otherwise

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hello! Popping in from the sci-fi fantasy thread. I'm in a military sci-fi mood and want to read more Warhammer 40k stuff.

What is the best 40k fiction with an action focus from the last five years? Horror is also very good, but I'm in a big military / shoot-shoot type mood.

Now here's the catch: I already own a fair amount of 40k stuff. Here are some random photos of stuff I've got downstairs, not counting what I'm already reading (Forges of Mars, Gaunt's Ghosts again) or digital stuff:

So I'm mostly looking for the best of the recent stuff that I haven't run into yet. And I've read the OP!

Bonus round: some years back I read a space marine novel about a siege between... I think it was the imperial guard and the yellow fist marines, versus the chaos marines and their chaotic friends. It went poorly for everyone, and was a fun read. The thing is, I can't remember its title or author. Could someone ID it for me?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Bonus round: some years back I read a space marine novel about a siege between... I think it was the imperial guard and the yellow fist marines, versus the chaos marines and their chaotic friends. It went poorly for everyone, and was a fun read. The thing is, I can't remember its title or author. Could someone ID it for me?

Could be Storm of Iron by Graham McNeill. Very siege-y, the chaos dudes use medieval (or is it early modern?) tactics with layers of trenches and siege machines etc.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Any of this look familiar Strix?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

What is the best 40k fiction with an action focus from the last five years? Horror is also very good, but I'm in a big military / shoot-shoot type mood.

Check out Apocalypse by Josh Reynolds.

A combined force of Imperial Fists, Raven Guard and White Scars defend a system from the Word Bearers.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Chemtrailologist posted:

Check out Apocalypse by Josh Reynolds.

A combined force of Imperial Fists, Raven Guard and White Scars defend a system from the Word Bearers.

That's a goodun

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Baneblade and Shadowsword by Guy Haley were my proper introductions to the present-day setting. I've also nabbed the tank book Steel Tread by Andy Clark, though I haven't opened it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Syncopated posted:

Could be Storm of Iron by Graham McNeill. Very siege-y, the chaos dudes use medieval (or is it early modern?) tactics with layers of trenches and siege machines etc.

Black Griffon posted:

Any of this look familiar Strix?

That! That's it! Thank you so much!

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Finished Pariah and moved on to Penitent.

For a book subtitled Ravenor vs Eisenhorn, it needed more of both those characters.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Calax posted:

Finished Pariah and moved on to Penitent.

For a book subtitled Ravenor vs Eisenhorn, it needed more of both those characters.

Penitent has the two have the mother of all arguments, so you're in for a treat.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Ravenor vs. Eisenhorn sounds extremely like something BL marketing insisted on because of obvious marketing reasons.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Z the IVth posted:

I read Fire Caste as well and yeah, it was a real slog to get through - like the prose was really hard to parse and the author was being obtuse and incomprehensible for the sake of it at the expense of a coherent storyline . Also read one of the Angels Penitent stories and didn't find it much better, though being a short story it was easier to get through.

i kinda hate how no one can really write a good tau story it seems because no one is really sure how they want them potrayed. if i wrote the tau, id probably make them the good guys of the faction but like realtically lovely, like a caste system version of the federation mixed with a bit of covenant.. a pretty good society to live it for average person but it has alot of pit falls with the caste system and eitherial political bullshit and overly eager military who want to do big "they will welcome us as liberators" poo poo. plus how alot of the client races who were brought in were either lied to degree or forced into complience under subtle threats. the central goverment is strong but it has a bunch of possible fracture points. like the eitherials would still be the leaders but it would be less "pheremones etc control" and more thousands of years of entrencthed power and such.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 30, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

StrixNebulosa posted:

The Urdesh series has some fantastic action scenes, including one of the very best one on one fights in Black Library history in the second one. You also get to see an Imperial Saint cut loose with the full Grace of the Emperor.

Urdesh: The Serpent and the Saint
Urdesh: The Magister and the Martyr

These are spinoffs from the Gaunt's Ghosts series (and The Iron Snakes) by Dan Abnett. Matt Farrer can write good material, these are highly regarded. They aren't bolter porn, they're bolter erotica.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Z the IVth posted:

The prose is very dreamlike, prone to metaphor and intentionally obscure at times. I totally understand it not connecting with people but I enjoyed it and the other books by Fehervari immensely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

mllaneza posted:

The Urdesh series has some fantastic action scenes, including one of the very best one on one fights in Black Library history in the second one.

Urdesh: The Serpent and the Saint
Urdesh: The Magister and the Martyr

These are spinoffs from the Gaunt's Ghosts series (and The Iron Snakes) by Dan Abnett. Matt Farrer can write good material, these are highly regarded. They aren't bolter porn, they're bolter erotica.
It's worth reading Brothers of the Snake first to get an introduction to the specific marines, but it's not completely necessary. Probably worth reading after you've finished your Ghosts read though, since it kind of ties into the end of the Urdesh arc there (obviously).