Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

The best star trek novels are the ones written at the very beginning of each series where the authors have no idea where the show is going to go and you get some cool alternate universe takes on the shows. I remember one Peter David did at the beginning of DS9 with a crazy shape shifter battle through the whole station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Actual Satan posted:

The best star trek novels are the ones written at the very beginning of each series where the authors have no idea where the show is going to go and you get some cool alternate universe takes on the shows. I remember one Peter David did at the beginning of DS9 with a crazy shape shifter battle through the whole station.

I've never read it, but I know the first TNG novel was written entirely based on the series bible before the show aired and had no idea what the feel of the show or the general beige atmosphere or, like, what life in the TNG era would seem to be like. And everyone's completely off-character.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
I have the novelization of Encounter at Farpoint, it has an entirely different backstory for Data.

A used book store having a going out of business sale talked me into buying their entire stock of Star Trek books. I hadn’t read many as a kid so they were mostly new to me. A bunch of them were old TOS stuff like the Final Reflection.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I had a relation that knew someone who was somehow subscribed to receive every Star Trek book as it came out. That person was fine with me borrowing them after they read them. She'd have a whole stack of them for me every other week. I must've read drat near every one of them released in the 80s/90s give or take. Can't remember a single one. I do remember there was one that had a title like "Here there be dragons" that was mostly bad dialog and Captain Picard yelling at everyone. I put that down after ~40-50 pages or so.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'd like to read alternate treks. That sounds cool.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I like the ones that sound best when said in a dramatic movie-trailer voice

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

I like the ones that sound best when said in a dramatic movie-trailer voice

Turns out it's actually about a malfunctioning replicated cup of earl grey :v:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The only TNG book I recall, beyond Q-Squared and Vendetta, is some weird-rear end novel where these clay creatures called pseudos or something take over the ship and Data somehow saves the day via Data bullshit.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

I'd like to read alternate treks. That sounds cool.

Yeah, some definitely tread in the weird space where canon and history and character backstory hadn't been fleshed out, especially the 70s and 80s ones. Where you didn't even know what year TOS was set in, or who Jim Kirk's father was, or what the Klingons were supposed to be. Quality is a mixed bag. Some are licensed fanfiction, others are great but ultimately decanonized "What Ifs?" since nothing that isn't on screen is real. Star Trek has had that rule all along, so the more the shared universe run of novels went on a few years ago, the more their stuff was decanonized by the endless prequel series, which is no doubt why they gave up on it. Which is too bad, because some of their really original ideas, like the Vanguard series, were great.

I mean hell, as we see in Strange New Worlds and Discovery, even aired onscreen Star Trek is no longer canon. At this point it's safe to say half of TOS is apocryphial, and the new writers are not bound to even slightly be constrained in their storytelling by it. You can try to handwave it as "different timeline causing small changes," but Admiral Pike's different Monster Maroon is proof the TOS movies are next on the continuity chopping block. What probably happened was the writer wanted him to wear the II-VI uniform, but the costume designer chafed at having to be constrained by 40 year old movies and was told to do what she wanted. I guarantee you if a Monster Maroon is shown again on a time travel or flashback sequence in a future episode of live action Trek like Picard, DISCO, or Untitled In Development Michelle Yeoh Section 31 Show, it will be the Pike version.

TNG and the rest of the Berman era shows will be next.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If these fucks try to update the Galaxy class to be more jagged and metallic I swear to god I'll

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The TNG-era series about Klingons, the I.KS. Gorkon series, is supposed to be okay. Though I have not read any of them.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is there any medieval fantasy star trek? still in space but the ship is made of castle bricks and you can still go on top and look around.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I have a vague memory of skim-reading a very early TNG novel (in a shop) before the show even made it to TV in the UK that started in the present with a battleship or carrier being trashed by a weird alien force, then jumping forward to Picard's time. I think I'd seen Farpoint on VHS but that was all, and even then I thought the book didn't seem to gel with it.

But better than the Charmed novel that got a main character's name wrong on the first page.

Edit: found it! Ghost Ship, by Diane Carey - the very first TNG novel. Features not only the Battlestar Galactica but also a spelling mistake on the cover.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 29, 2023

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Lwaxana Troi is a sexual predator and I’m tired of pretending she’s not.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
working with any kind of mind-reader would be awkward at best even without any mind control pheromone bs. psychic starfleet members probably gotta be in special units like the people whose blood is rocks that explode into nuclear lava or whatever

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Lwaxana Troi is a sexual predator and I’m tired of pretending she’s not.

Yeah but she’s got the sacred chalice of Rixxx, what are they gonna do. grin and bear it

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Astroman posted:

At this point it's safe to say half of TOS is apocryphial, and the new writers are not bound to even slightly be constrained in their storytelling by it. You can try to handwave it as "different timeline causing small changes," but Admiral Pike's different Monster Maroon is proof the TOS movies are next on the continuity chopping block.

Alternately, you can just assume that the production quality being higher does not invalidate any of the old stories. And even if it does, separate continuities doesn't remove anything from the canon.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I just don't understand the idea of one fictional story making another fictional story not exist anymore.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Is there any medieval fantasy star trek? still in space but the ship is made of castle bricks and you can still go on top and look around.

The ship plans showed an entire deck for horses and a big room with a pet dragon.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 29, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i love that, i no longer want the beige hotel and grey saucers i want this

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Annie Wersching just died of cancer.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/for-annies-boys-freddie-ozzie-and-archie?fbclid=PAAaaWNnZ3F-5MXHKzJcTgHIBAT_8WzvF81CsHjJJkaaAgRALPLj__0TQgueE

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Boxturret posted:

I just don't understand the idea of one fictional story making another fictional story not exist anymore.

If you a have a big story that fits together, you can't have contradictory versions of the same events. So if suddenly the clone wars are about cloning grunt soldiers, all your previous alluding to it being about cloning and impersonating high profile targets can't also be true. So some consensus is reached about which one counts, which is the screen version

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Khanstant posted:

Not in space, but the original story idea for First Contact had the crew traveling back in time to the medieval age.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'm looking forward to seeing some Mad magazine stories become canon.
"Star blechhh the next defenestration"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

drat, that sucks. I thought she did a good job with the Queen, all things considered.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Astroman posted:

Yeah, some definitely tread in the weird space where canon and history and character backstory hadn't been fleshed out, especially the 70s and 80s ones. Where you didn't even know what year TOS was set in, or who Jim Kirk's father was, or what the Klingons were supposed to be. Quality is a mixed bag. Some are licensed fanfiction, others are great but ultimately decanonized "What Ifs?" since nothing that isn't on screen is real. Star Trek has had that rule all along, so the more the shared universe run of novels went on a few years ago, the more their stuff was decanonized by the endless prequel series, which is no doubt why they gave up on it. Which is too bad, because some of their really original ideas, like the Vanguard series, were great.

I mean hell, as we see in Strange New Worlds and Discovery, even aired onscreen Star Trek is no longer canon. At this point it's safe to say half of TOS is apocryphial, and the new writers are not bound to even slightly be constrained in their storytelling by it. You can try to handwave it as "different timeline causing small changes," but Admiral Pike's different Monster Maroon is proof the TOS movies are next on the continuity chopping block. What probably happened was the writer wanted him to wear the II-VI uniform, but the costume designer chafed at having to be constrained by 40 year old movies and was told to do what she wanted. I guarantee you if a Monster Maroon is shown again on a time travel or flashback sequence in a future episode of live action Trek like Picard, DISCO, or Untitled In Development Michelle Yeoh Section 31 Show, it will be the Pike version.

TNG and the rest of the Berman era shows will be next.

Considering the amount of retconing Bergman era shows did to TOS, other era shows, and their own previous episodes, I think it will be fine.

I've been watching TNG, I'm up to season three and:

They've outright stated that "oh, no one has every run into these space things before" when there was a TOS episode about it. Twice.

Had a cryosleeper Kilngon ship, for a war with the Federation that couldn't have happened for the timeline given between TOS, the TOS movies, and TNG.

Had an episode about the Federation openly genetically enginering humans, which DS9 emphizes is very illegal.

I think "the costume for alternate timeline Pike not being movie accurate" is a minor problem that canon will survive.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Timby posted:

Not in space, but the original story idea for First Contact had the crew traveling back in time to the medieval age.

I've always been fond of the time they traveled back to the late middle ages on Red Dwarf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj7iSvy2GQE

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Twincityhacker posted:

Considering the amount of retconing Bergman era shows did to TOS, other era shows, and their own previous episodes, I think it will be fine.

I've been watching TNG, I'm up to season three and:

They've outright stated that "oh, no one has every run into these space things before" when there was a TOS episode about it. Twice.

Had a cryosleeper Kilngon ship, for a war with the Federation that couldn't have happened for the timeline given between TOS, the TOS movies, and TNG.

Had an episode about the Federation openly genetically enginering humans, which DS9 emphizes is very illegal.

I think "the costume for alternate timeline Pike not being movie accurate" is a minor problem that canon will survive.

Not just the costuming, but the sets (pretty much the entire interiors of the Enterprise) but probably a lot of story elements too. SNW is better but I bet if you looked there were many things mentioned in Discovery that retconned TOS.

If you don't care, you don't care. And I think everyone has their elements of "what I can accept." I love SNW and just have to accept that in Pike's era the velour uniforms were never worn, Spock always had a secret human sister, Sickbay and the crew quarters were massive, transporters can beam contact lenses onto eyeballs, the Gorn weren't unknown by the time of Arena, Tribbles weren't unknown to the Enterprise crew by the time they went to K-7, Robert April was an Admiral (not a Commodore--unless he gets busted down in rank like Kirk before he retires), etc.

You might think that's stupid, but if a future Trek show starts blowing out major elements of TNG or DS9, more people will care. But it's also hard to justify to a roomful of writers on a modern show unconnected with 90s Trek why they need to be constrained by a 40 year old show developed in the 80s.

We're lucky on Doctor Who RTD is coming back. If he wasn't, you can bet it would have been throwing away a lot of the New Series world building he and Moffat did and we'd have some weird new stuff like Doctor Who's father Ulysses and his brother The Master. Or making the Morbius Doctors canon and having the Doctor be from another universe and 300 secret pre-Hartnell incarn--oh poo poo :negative:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Lower Decks has a planet colonized by ren fair types because it has dragons?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Has there ever been anything done with the Gorn post TOS that wasn't awful? ENT had a terrible CGI Gorn that served no purpose, and SNW has otherwise been a lovely show I've really enjoyed and a return to form, but the Gorn stuff was so egregiously bad it nearly soured me on the whole thing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I just saw this....she was also very good as Jack Bauer's love interest on '24'. RIP. Cancer sucks.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Astroman posted:

Not just the costuming, but the sets (pretty much the entire interiors of the Enterprise) but probably a lot of story elements too. SNW is better but I bet if you looked there were many things mentioned in Discovery that retconned TOS.

If you don't care, you don't care. And I think everyone has their elements of "what I can accept." I love SNW and just have to accept that in Pike's era the velour uniforms were never worn, Spock always had a secret human sister, Sickbay and the crew quarters were massive, transporters can beam contact lenses onto eyeballs, the Gorn weren't unknown by the time of Arena, Tribbles weren't unknown to the Enterprise crew by the time they went to K-7, Robert April was an Admiral (not a Commodore--unless he gets busted down in rank like Kirk before he retires), etc.

You might think that's stupid, but if a future Trek show starts blowing out major elements of TNG or DS9, more people will care. But it's also hard to justify to a roomful of writers on a modern show unconnected with 90s Trek why they need to be constrained by a 40 year old show developed in the 80s.

We're lucky on Doctor Who RTD is coming back. If he wasn't, you can bet it would have been throwing away a lot of the New Series world building he and Moffat did and we'd have some weird new stuff like Doctor Who's father Ulysses and his brother The Master. Or making the Morbius Doctors canon and having the Doctor be from another universe and 300 secret pre-Hartnell incarn--oh poo poo :negative:

It's not stupid that you care - the day I call another fan stupid for caring about the Lore is the day I quit being a fan - but collaberative storytelling does have the drawbacks of the current writers thinking that that piece of lore is dumb, or uninteresting enough that their new idea is better in all ways.

My point is more that it's survivable.

And the bit about the secret regenations and stuff in Doctor Who is that they were trying to figure out how to keep the older stories *in* canon.

Like, when the Doctor first mentioned that he only had 13 regenerations, that was decades ago and it was his fourth regeneration. When they added in the War Doctor they were already pushing it because they wanted to tell a story but couldn't get the actors for Eight OR Nine. Then Thirteen came along but they kept wanting to make Doctor Who, but the Timelords were dead so they couldn't grant more regeneration cycles, so it was time to pull some rabbits out of the hat to make everything the Doctor said true - to his knowledge. "Secretly not Gallyfriran" is certianly a way to go about it. Maybe not the best, but it does make sure that the Doctor wasn't lying to everyone all the time about everything.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

:( Dammit that's rough. Apparently she was also in 1 episode of Enterprise. (It's called "Oasis" and the pictures that come up have her alongside Renee Auberjonois. Double drat.)

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I miss when they'd only do major fanservice during sweeps week or for stuff like the 30th anniversary, it just felt like it was special and not like they're cynically trying to appeal to the only people left willing or able to spend any money on it

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/jazzleberrywhy/status/1619383408010072064

So it turns out he has, in fact, already seen everything :haw:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
what the gently caress is a spirk

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

CLAM DOWN posted:

its a knife, spoon, and fork all in one utensil.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Kirk and Spock love child

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Astroman posted:

I agree, and I've head-cannoned Discovery, and therefore by extension SNW, a separate timeline or continuity or whatever you want to call it from the get-go. I'm fine with the occasional continuity error that's inevitable over a 60 year series, but Discovery just looks and feels so contradictory to anything that's come before. If I'm going to write off Discovery or TOS as apocryphal, sorry but it's going to be the one that isn't super depressing to watch.

wesleywillis posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing some Mad magazine stories become canon.
"Star blechhh the next defenestration"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

About... fiftteen years ago, though for some fandoms like the X-Files it was thirty, shippers decided that instead of writing out ship names like "Kirk/Spock" which had been going on since the 60's was out, and making a smushed up name for each relationship was in, thus "spirk".

It does make reading about fandoms a little more difficult, especially if two charecters have similar names.

The worst offender is actually MCU fandom, which came up with a third worse thing, with specific callsigns for each charecter. Some make sense, like "Iron" for Tony Stark/Ironman, but some charecters are a deeper cut, like Loki being "Frost" so Loki/Tony would be "FrostIron."