Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
mage knight is a great class even if you never touch swords. Even if it was infantry, it'd be worth considering--it has a lot more speed than sage, and the class skill provides even more speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Mage Knight has a lot going for it. Besides the movement and weapon access, it’s also the fastest and bulkiest mage class, along with having the best Build and a fantastic class skill. I think that’s all because staves are completely cracked in this game.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Harrow posted:

Don't worry about this at all. You can level bond so easily in the Arena with bond fragments that it's really not worth worrying about cycling rings to gain bond.

Yeah, if anything you'd be actively hamstringing yourself in stages by cycling rings around to build bond levels instead of just keeping them on your people who already have the bond leveled and have unlocked more of the emblem's bonuses/weapons.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
on the other hand, bond being trivial to gain in the arena means you shouldn't feel like an emblem is locked onto whoever you put it on first. If you put Sigurd on Louis, like so many people did, but then encounter a map where a 10 move flyer would be real useful, then just switch it over to Chloe, with no real loss, because it's not like it's a big deal if your 'main' user misses a few bond points

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

syrnn please just relax this game is not nearly as complicated or like, planning-heavy as youre making it in your head

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Louis is more than a giant wall of metal that I use to make the game easier. He is also a very nice and lovely man.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
:abrathink: If you have a dagger user do a backup attack via Dual Strike, does it poison?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Syrnn posted:

I'm a bit miffed with myself because everything seems to like going for Alfred and in chapter 10 I finally used Tiki's Divine Blessing on him to survive a random boss hit that I honestly don't know how I would have solved without DLC, I feel dirty having truly payed-to-win. :smith:

No DLC but same thing happened to me and I just used Roy for the exact same effect. So y'know all's fair I reckon.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Supremezero posted:

:abrathink: If you have a dagger user do a backup attack via Dual Strike, does it poison?

No, the weapon for Dual Strike only matters for range.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Most classes feel like they have a niche or area they excel at the very least. Honestly the only ones that feel bad or pointless are High Priest, Noble Knight and Berserker.

They feel a bit pointless compared to Sage, Griffon Rider (lance), and Warrior. Especially Berserker which has a ton of stat penalties and absurdly low defensive/speed caps in exchange for a worse class skill and uh like +3 str cap over Warrior?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It has a cooler name and better vibes

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Panette keeps her dress as a berserker so my hands are tied

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Zore posted:

Most classes feel like they have a niche or area they excel at the very least. Honestly the only ones that feel bad or pointless are High Priest, Noble Knight and Berserker.

They feel a bit pointless compared to Sage, Griffon Rider (lance), and Warrior. Especially Berserker which has a ton of stat penalties and absurdly low defensive/speed caps in exchange for a worse class skill and uh like +3 str cap over Warrior?

I made Anna a berserker and she just bodies the poo poo out of everything she fights. I'm not very across all the classes but it seems good to me.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
High Priest at least has access to fist weapons so you can have it sit on the +5 def fist weapon for a substantial bulk increase when you're not zapping people with tomes, and it also has better caps in a lot of areas than Martial Master(at the cost of losing chain guard). Royal Knight is "I want a griffin rider that doesn't get instantly deleted by bows and am okay giving up flight".

Berserker has a STR and HP growth of 30 - the highest in the game for both categories, by far for strength - so I guess you can make an argument for leaving someone in berserker for a few levels to shore up their offense. As a "stay in this class long term" option it's rough because its caps outside of strength are so low that you can reasonably ram them without even second sealing and its defenses are completely unsalvageable outside of something like being actively engaged with Ike.

The berserker class skill is one of the biggest headscratchers in the game for me - Smash weapons universally go last, so giving the "you get a bonus for using smash weapons" skill to the class with mage-level defense and very mediocre speed is very confusing when that class's primary benefit is having so much str that it can theoretically one shot people before it gets exploded.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 29, 2023

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Berserker also has another 10% str growth over Warrior. It's still definitely the worse of the two, but something to consider for someone who really needs the extra str boost like default class Anna.

i think royal knight's entire niche, meanwhile, is (ch21 spoilers) ||"need one more person to fill out the lategame expanded deployment limits? Mauvier may kind of suck, but he's got 6 move and can staffbot, you could do worse."||

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I don’t think Berserker’s ever been below “very good” in any of its appearances so it has to pay the tax now

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

JBP posted:

I made Anna a berserker and she just bodies the poo poo out of everything she fights. I'm not very across all the classes but it seems good to me.

Berserker just gets -4 Spd, and -7 Dex, Def and Res compared to Warrior for uh reasons. And it has the lowest Res cap in the game at 11 base (before any personal modifiers) which is still the most insane thing.

Anna was ramming that res cap even before promotion and even with her terrible Def growth she'll still almost definitely ram the Berserker's def cap.

and in exchange they get 3 Str, 2 HP, 4 Bld and the ability to use the S rank Axe... which is a Heavy weapon and kind of sucks compared to most of the others. Also their class skill is 'When you shove an enemy they move 2 squares" which is in competition for worst in the game.

There's just not a ton to recommend them outside the +30 Str/HP growth. And Warrior gets +20/25 in those stats.

To put it in perspective, Berserkers have the same Def caps Mages and Sages do

Zore fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 29, 2023

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I tried Tempest Trials, looked at the rewards, went, "hmm, additional speed and anti-Corrupted on Engage weapons sounds good," and selected the Recommended difficulty.

Like half the desert map was Wolf Knights with 60 HP and 44 Speed. Apparently Speed goes that high even outside of Speedtaker, who knew. Also, they'd split my eight units in half, so each of my four-man groups was fighting 10+ enemies. Reuniting the group was not practical.

...I think if I try it again I'm going to put it down, like, 10 notches.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anna can be a wyvern knight with a second seal, maybe I'll make her that since she is starting to compete with Diamant for frontline battler?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The main things High Priest gets over Sage are Fortify (without needing inherent staff proficiency) and Qi Adept. Fists are kinda whatever, but occasionally useful. And I guess it gets the S rank staff, but the S rank staff is not good.

Royal Knight has arguably a better skill for a full support unit than Griffin Knight and not fearing bows/wind magic is pretty useful and a solid trade off for not flying.

Berserker isn't great, though, yeah, and unlike the others it's the same unit type and base class so there isn't really much of a niche.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

WrightOfWay posted:

The main things High Priest gets over Sage are Fortify (without needing inherent staff proficiency) and Qi Adept. Fists are kinda whatever, but occasionally useful. And I guess it gets the S rank staff, but the S rank staff is not good.

Royal Knight has arguably a better skill for a full support unit than Griffin Knight and not fearing bows/wind magic can is pretty useful.

Berserker isn't great, though, yeah, and unlike the others it's the same unit type and base class so there isn't really much of a niche.

High priest doesn't get qi adept, though.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

High priest has insane luck growth so if you wanna build a bunch of luck on Anna you could go with that maybe?

Einander posted:

Oh, something about the final chapter I forgot to mention that amused me: I'm guessing that Sombron summons more of the Dark Emblems if you take too long, but I killed him in three turns, which meant he only summoned FE1, FE2, FE4, and FE5. The Fell Dragon's darkest power: Kaga Fire Emblem.

Just beat the game and I stuck around for a while to see all the stuff Sombron would do if you gave him the time, he does end up summoning a bunch more dark emblems but after the third wave I just ended up going back in time a little bit and finish him off with the marriage beam.

Some credits stuff:
lmao at them going with the Nurse Joy route for Anna, she finds her family and they're all identical looking Annas :allears:
I really enjoyed all those character stories in the credits. Somehow I expected the # of battles and wins to be higher, but I guess not?
also regarding the ch11 think I posted earlier, oops.

At this point I'm not entirely sure yet if I wanna immediately start a new game, whether that's on Hard or Maddening, and how I'd even avoid trying to use Yunaka/Chloé/Panette literally all the time.

Game good though that's for sure!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Captain Flame Guy posted:

Some credits stuff:
lmao at them going with the Nurse Joy route for Anna, she finds her family and they're all identical looking Annas :allears:

It's specifically Fates and Awakening Anna

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/Kobazco/status/1619476581352873986
Engage modding is gonna be fun. That's a completely new Emblem and character with new skills and weapons, none of which replace any existing ones.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if people can figure out custom maps and inserting dialog then this is gonna pop off

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

watch someone make emblems a mechanic in gba romhacking lol

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Where's the mod that replaces the engage sound effect with il vento d'oro?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Terper posted:

watch someone make emblems a mechanic in gba romhacking lol

I wouldn't be surprised, GBA romhackers are a whole different kind.

If people could implement every Pokemon mechanic up to Gen 8 on Emerald FE romhackers can implement Emblems.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Terper posted:

Engage modding is gonna be fun. That's a completely new Emblem and character with new skills and weapons, none of which replace any existing ones.

Finally we can have the Fire Emblems X Shin Megami Tensei crossover game that people thought FES was going to be.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people got pair-up working in gba fe, by comparison emblems seem relatively simple. a held item that gives stat boosts/skills and can be activated for a temporary powerups/more skills, as well as a command attack. like half those mechanics already exist in gba fe.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I for one can't wait for Marf Santangelo, the Emblem DDOP whoch randomly maxes out your defense or reduces it to 0.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Terper posted:

The day we get the Marf Santangelo Emblem mod will be the day I finally figure out how to install mods on my Switch.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I for one can't wait for Marf Santangelo, the Emblem DDOP whoch randomly maxes out your defense or reduces it to 0.

Holy maximizes your stats but minimizes your move

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

is there a mod that adds the level up jingle back in

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

The biggest issue with adding Engages to a GBAFE romhack would be all the UI work needed for it. UI is a massive problem in game dev and in GBAFE where you're stuck with limited RAM and a 240 x 160 screen, it'd be very difficult to fit all the engage info in. Making the actual subsystems would take quite a bit of work but it'd be easier since we can compile C to ASM code these days.

The biggest hangup with hacking the 3D Fire Emblem games is that modelling maps/characters is a very different skill set and we don't really have those around. Even then, the amount of time it takes to make a high quality 3D model vs a 128 x 112 GBAFE mug is a real big difference.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

do relay trials just not work or something? I started one days ago and it hasn't gotten taken over by anyone, and I haven't been able to take over any from other people either

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
yeah nintendo apparently looking into it so hopefully patched soon

in the meantime go nuts: 1CN457D

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Captain Flame Guy posted:

is there a mod that adds the level up jingle back in

and the critical hit sound effect

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Einander posted:

Oh, something about the final chapter I forgot to mention that amused me: I'm guessing that Sombron summons more of the Dark Emblems if you take too long, but I killed him in three turns, which meant he only summoned FE1, FE2, FE4, and FE5. The Fell Dragon's darkest power: Kaga Fire Emblem.

Hey I did the same thing and ended up wondering, if anyone got it (final chapter) who was Byleth's dark emblem and what does he say to them? I figure it'd be Thales since the game had three potential final bosses, but Byleth didn't know who Thales was on all the routes, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Hey I did the same thing and ended up wondering, if anyone got it (final chapter) who was Byleth's dark emblem and what does he say to them? I figure it'd be Thales since the game had three potential final bosses, but Byleth didn't know who Thales was on all the routes, either.

It's Nemesis, probably because he was the only final boss who's never a PC or ally in any route.