Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Y’all are about to make me act up and buy some boueffff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Made a pot of beans yesterday. Lately I’ve been throwing in some duck fat in at the beginning and a big spoon of whole grain mustard in at the end, both of which I’m enjoying. Anyone else have any tweaks to their red beans recipe (beyond the standard beans, andouille, trinity, garlic/thyme/bay/cayenne)?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Scythe posted:

Made a pot of beans yesterday. Lately I’ve been throwing in some duck fat in at the beginning and a big spoon of whole grain mustard in at the end, both of which I’m enjoying. Anyone else have any tweaks to their red beans recipe (beyond the standard beans, andouille, trinity, garlic/thyme/bay/cayenne)?

Fish sauce when sauteeing the onions. I like a lil cider or red wine vinegar at the end.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is it still possible to buy oyster liquor? I know what to sub it with, but I want to try oyster liquor.

(Also this recipe calls for two quarts.)

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I’ve only ever gotten it with shucked oysters bought by the half-gallon. And I save it and freeze it because I’ve never seen it for sale.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Gumbo

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Looks great. I’ve gotta make some.

(And thanks That Works for the fish sauce suggestion upthread, I’ll definitely add that.)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Hell yeah, I’d love some of that

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

My beloved fiance has recently learned that gluten betrays her. What alternative flours can I use to make a dark roux for my gumbo that will not make a super noticable change in flavor or texture? I worry sorghum would be too sweet.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Bluedeanie posted:

My beloved fiance has recently learned that gluten betrays her. What alternative flours can I use to make a dark roux for my gumbo that will not make a super noticable change in flavor or texture? I worry sorghum would be too sweet.

Gram/chickpea flour?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bluedeanie posted:

I have used pure rice flour for someone with severe celiac. It worked pretty well. I think any gluten-free blend would be better -- they mix up stuff to mimic wheat pretty closely.

The universal thing about any gluten-free flour seems to be that you have to keep it a shade lighter than the full dark-red cajun max roux. So your gumbo will be slightly paler than normal.

The thing to avoid is an almond flour or any blend that has a lot of nut flours.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Klyith posted:

I have used pure rice flour for someone with severe celiac. It worked pretty well. I think any gluten-free blend would be better -- they mix up stuff to mimic wheat pretty closely.

The universal thing about any gluten-free flour seems to be that you have to keep it a shade lighter than the full dark-red cajun max roux. So your gumbo will be slightly paler than normal.

The thing to avoid is an almond flour or any blend that has a lot of nut flours.

I've used rice flour and tapioca flour before and yeah definitely keep it lighter and be prepared to quench it pretty fast, as in my experience it browned muuuuuch more quickly than wheat flour. The flavor was not as good as wheat flour for either imo but not enough to make it bad or anything, it still came out really well but definitely again would suggest a homemade stock to help offset this even further. Also I like using Okra with these because the thickening is less noticeable but you might want a file gumbo instead.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I use okra and file both because I am a wild card, babey

Thank you all for the good suggestions. Gumbo season is upon us and I look forward to this new flour-based challenge

e: w/r/t the darkening, would peanut butter be too far? Should I expect to pull at the blonde stage?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Idk if it’s gluten free or no, but Kitchen Bouquet will at least get the end product to the normal color and it adds some decent ‘brown’ flavor.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Did some cooking this weekend.

Fried shrimp oyster po boys.

Also made an oyster bisque

Crab stock for gumbo

This stock was unbelievable, could have just eaten it on its own.

Shrimp, okra and andouille gumbo

Served at a Halloween party in cups for easy walking.

Also made jambalaya

Pretty sure I gained 10 lbs since Friday.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 1, 2022

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Those shrimp look a lot like oysters.

But seriously, drat, all that looks delicious.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Scythe posted:

Those shrimp look a lot like oysters.

But seriously, drat, all that looks delicious.

They’re pastries

Lol

Karl Welzein
Apr 15, 2022

That little walking cup of gumbo looks like exactly what I need in my life right now

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

Not sure if anybody still reads this thread but wondering if somebody has a good recipe for yakamein?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
You gotta fight Ms. Linda for it. And she can take you.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Crossposting from the smoking thread.

Doom Rooster posted:

Listen, some people may tell you to check the weather before planning a big project for the weekend. Don’t listen to them. You do not need that kind of negativity in your life.

Is it 3 degrees F out there? Yes. Is it snowing? Also yes. Did I already plan to make sausage? Hell yes.

12lbs of coarse andouille for cooking, and 8lbs of finer grind for grilling and eating. Not pictured, 4lbs I didn’t add milk powder to, but added some dextrose and starter culture to before fermenting and cold smoking. We’ll see how andouille salami is in 2 months.

Coarse

In a pot of red beans for dinner tonight.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

Crossposting from the smoking thread.

Hell yeah

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Well, great. Now I'm hungry right before bed. Dammit.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Brown some dark meat chicken, normally I would use boneless skinless thighs but I had this stuff already.

Next goes the sausage

Remove the meat and add a third of your trinity and start your roux separately

When it looks like this add your next third, and a few minutes after that your garlic

Add a little flour to the main pot to soak up the grease, and then add the meat back in and a couple quarts of homemade chicken stock and seasonings. I used hot sauce, Worcestershire, bay leaves, soy sauce, fish sauce, paprika, thyme, file, black pepper, Peychauds bitters, and some Kashmiri chili powder just for fun.

By now your roux should look like this so add that into and let it simmer for at least an hour. Pull the chicken out and shred or chop it up it and add it back in. About 15 minutes before serving add in the last 3rd of your Trinity and adjust salt and liquid levels.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 19, 2023

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Looks amazing. Serving bowl is unrealistic though. Just leave it all in the pot and let me work my way through it until I pass out.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

gently caress yeah, roux game on point

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Human Tornada posted:

Brown some dark meat chicken, normally I would use boneless skinless thighs but I had this stuff already.

Next goes the sausage

Then add a third of your trinity and start your roux separately

When it looks like this add your next third, and a few minutes after that your garlic

Add a little flour to the main pot to soak up the grease, and then a couple quarts of homemade chicken stock and seasonings. I used hot sauce, Worcestershire, bay leaves, soy sauce, fish sauce, paprika, thyme, file, black pepper, Peychauds bitters, and some Kashmiri chili powder just for fun.

By now your roux should look like this so add that into and let it simmer for at least an hour. Pull the chicken out and shred or chop it up it and add it back in. About 15 minutes before serving add in the last 3rd of your Trinity and adjust salt and liquid levels.

This is awesome, and going into the OP when I get to my desktop

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Cool, thanks. I did a small edit where I mentioned when to put the meat back in the pot.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Made some andouille and grits for breakfast before the Mardi Gras parades

At a party today someone had a boudin king cake—delicious

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So it’s a giant sausage roll

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

It's Dungeness crab season so I made a gumbo using Alton Brown's oven roux method and crab shell stock last week. It was delicious but I'm not sure I ever want to make crab stock in my home again - it took 5 days for the smell to clear out (not helped by being unable to open up all the windows for a while due to weather) and after the first day or so it made things pretty gross. Roux method was easy and foolproof, I don't think I'll ever bother making it on the stove.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah, I run my vent hood close to max whenever I make shellfish stock…it’s potent.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Yeah, I run my vent hood close to max whenever I make shellfish stock…it’s potent.

No vent hood for my gas stove slumlords ftw

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Human Tornada posted:

Add a little flour to the main pot to soak up the grease, and then add the meat back in and a couple quarts of homemade chicken stock and seasonings. I used hot sauce, Worcestershire, bay leaves, soy sauce, fish sauce, paprika, thyme, file, black pepper, Peychauds bitters, and some Kashmiri chili powder just for fun.

Quick question on this post. Those various spices, do you happen to have any measurements for them? Even approximate ones would be great. Normally, I do a basic gumbo, but I'm getting things together for lunches for work, and I'm feeling fancy and wanting to try something a bit different, and this sounds pretty excellent at a glance.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

A liddle a dis an a liddle a dat

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

bout like a cuppa few pinches or moahr

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Til it look right

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I was afraid you guys would say something like that. Not that I am incapable of measuring with my heart, but I always prefer to have a point to jump off from the first time I start slinging spices with wild abandon on a recipe that I've not done that to yet. Are we talking like, teaspoons here, or tablespoons? Literally a pinch of this and that? Mostly, my concern stems from the fact that this is going to be my lunches for the week for work. If it was like, a single serving thing, I'd not care nearly as much.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

I was afraid you guys would say something like that. Not that I am incapable of measuring with my heart, but I always prefer to have a point to jump off from the first time I start slinging spices with wild abandon on a recipe that I've not done that to yet. Are we talking like, teaspoons here, or tablespoons? Literally a pinch of this and that? Mostly, my concern stems from the fact that this is going to be my lunches for the week for work. If it was like, a single serving thing, I'd not care nearly as much.

Adding it to like a whole pot id say a tbls of black pepper, paprika and fish sauce and a tsp each for the others then taste before and after that and then adjust further by taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

neogeo0823 posted:

Quick question on this post. Those various spices, do you happen to have any measurements for them? Even approximate ones would be great. Normally, I do a basic gumbo, but I'm getting things together for lunches for work, and I'm feeling fancy and wanting to try something a bit different, and this sounds pretty excellent at a glance.

Everyone before me was pretty on point but if you're dead set on using measurements I would estimate I used:

Worcestershire 1.5 T
Fish sauce 1 T
Soy sauce 1 T
Black pepper (fresh cracked) 1 t
Hot sauce .5 T
Peychauds 12 shakes
Dried thyme 1 t
Bay leaves 2
Paprika 1.5 T
Kashmiri chili .75 t
Filé 1 t

Good luck and god bless