Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
what that's even worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mod concept: The Dark Emblems but with actual portraits and names and special skills.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Augus posted:

do relay trials just not work or something? I started one days ago and it hasn't gotten taken over by anyone, and I haven't been able to take over any from other people either

Random matching doesn't work at all and is completely broken. Joining by code works.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I think I need to stop doing the skirmishes. My crew are so much stronger than the main missions all of a sudden.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Between this and 3 Houses I really want to play the past FEs. but 3DS emulation gives halo effects over everyone and runs terrible. PoR on Gamecube it is

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
drat, Mauvier is just a big piece of beef in chapter 17 Hard huh? If it wasn't for Pan-""The Nutcracker"-ette with her 40 strength I guess I would've had to chip him down with dual attacks.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk4ACloFnwo
ike :allears:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ike rules, in Path of Radiance he’s just a kid who gets caught up in a huge political struggle and ends up leading a rebellion against the mad king. Then he comes back in Radiant Dawn and he’s absolutely loving jacked and clowns on fools with a giant sword. Great dude.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
"What supplements do you take for those muscles?"
"I eat meat."

:allears:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
For a game that made "physical fitness" a major character theme, this game really is nearly empty of actual good fitness advice.

Incidentally, I appreciate that Boucheron is completely willing to give workout tips to Alcryst even while he is actively avoiding the attentions of Alfred and Etie on the same topic.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I just finished Eirika's paralogue and that was probably one of the most brutal and draining gaming things that I have ever done

How on earth are you supposed to get the chests in the corners? Tons of Warp/Rescue staff shenanigans? I thought I was clever by using Freeze to keep the thieves in place while I take care of the units, but more and more and more just kept popping up, and they were all so very tanky, it's completely insane

I pulled a win out of my rear end with Etie + Lyn abuse. Once per turn she points at something and it dies. It feels a little inefficient that I'm not using Lyn's body doubles gimmick, but Vantage + being able to nuke anything from 10 spaces away has just saved my rear end too many times

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Supremezero posted:

:abrathink: If you have a dagger user do a backup attack via Dual Strike, does it poison?

WrightOfWay posted:

No, the weapon for Dual Strike only matters for range.

Yes, you can poison with backup attacks by giving Lucina to a dagger user.

Edit:
I do this all the time to get a bunch of poison stacks on a boss or a tougher enemy. I got a clip from a random skirmish as an example:

https://twitter.com/Genovera_SA/status/1619932241035141120

Genovera fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 30, 2023

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
lyn's doubles seem very niche compared to everything else she does

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

lih posted:

The secret to Lyn's doubles is that the AI will prioritize them over almost eveything else. So you can use them as four free decoys, which comes in handy if a whole bunch of enemies are about to hit your group.

Additionally, if you engage Lyn to someone with huge avoid (swordmaster Lapis for example), the doubles will also have tons of avoid as well, which gives them a good deal of survivability. Backup enemies will tear through them though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

lih posted:

The doubles take the stats of the wearer, so anybody that's super dodgy or has a billion defense like louis applies.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
hosed up that the only way to upgrade the engage weapons is with gems from tempest trials, the world's slowest and least rewarding activity

RuBisCO posted:

The secret to Lyn's doubles is that the AI will prioritize them over almost eveything else. So you can use them as four free decoys, which comes in handy if a whole bunch of enemies are about to hit your group.

Additionally, if you engage Lyn to someone with huge avoid (swordmaster Lapis for example), the doubles will also have tons of avoid as well, which gives them a good deal of survivability. Backup enemies will tear through them though.
huge avoid, you say?
well. that's certainly one option. the other option, however...

is far funnier
(backup still fucks him up, but corrin has a nice skill that completely negates that, which is a useful thing for him to have by the endgame)

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

RuBisCO posted:

This has been really good for pulling enemies out of formation or tying up a whole stack of dudes for four turns while I focus on something else. It also works to bait engage attacks from enemy bosses.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
oh baiting bosses is something i hadn't thought of

i've used lyn with a high avoid swordmaster lapis and there's some utility from the doubles dodge-tanking but just much less than everything else lyn does

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lmao

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
For me, Lyn's doubles are like the engage mechanic I'm aware of the most (outside of like, extra Dance).
I use Lyn/Kagetsu to bait groups of enemies, get bosses into range, and delete most reinforcements that put in pressure from behind - or at least hold them up until I'm done with whatever I was doing.
Also, as someone said, the enemies love to target them above most other units. So if I need to face down a big crowd of enemies, or some flier reinforcements are threatening my formation, a set of doubles will keep me safe.

Plus, if Kagetsu gets a bit out of position laying doubles down, Lyn has the huge ranged attack so he can still contribute on the front lines.

Absolute 10/10 ability on a dodgy character.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Honestly between the doubles and the "delete one enemy from existence from across the universe" ability Lyn is kinda OP.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Did Ivy just meme or a translation error

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Tae posted:

Did Ivy just meme or a translation error

I'm reading this as Hortensia questioning that what Ivy realized is "how strong" a parent can be.

posadas
Jan 28, 2021
For some reason, it's only until chapter 20 that I noticed that fog of war seems to act differently. You can't seem to move a character beyond the fog, whereas in previous games, I remember that it was possible to end up routing a character through an enemy, which would block the rest of the move and immediately end their action.

I'm assuming that they had to do this because of the new movement style

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

I just finished Eirika's paralogue and that was probably one of the most brutal and draining gaming things that I have ever done

Speaking of, as someone who is in the middle of Eirika's paralogue because I don't remember people talking about it as much in the thread as Sigurd or Leif's paralogue, this is an absolute rear end in a top hat parade, especially all the griffon knights with magical weapons. I noticed all the enemy units have "Sacred Twins" on as their skill effect, but no information on what it does. Is it actually applying the +3 damage dealt / -3 damage received that Blue Skies provides, or is it something else?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Lyn's doubles exist to take up enemy engage abilities.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Some of these paralogue choices are random. Did they really not choose like any other map for Celica other than iirc like a sidequest?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Sydin posted:

Honestly between the doubles and the "delete one enemy from existence from across the universe" ability Lyn is kinda OP.

Funnily enough, I think Marth has been the biggest dud Emblem for me.

Celica has Echo, making any mage a great clean-up for enemies that annoyingly hang on with a couple hits of HP. Plus Warp Ragnarok obviously, though I haven't found it as useful as I'd thought I would, considering most units would be hard pressed to survive flinging themselves across the map. Also has Favourite Food for free.

Sigurd obviously gives a ton of movement, which will never not be useful. Override is one of the few AOE attacks in the game. Also stacking the poison lance/Draconic Hex and Override is really funny.

Leif is great for battle versatility, plus he gives a ton of Build, which is useful in a game where eveything is heavy as poo poo. Also his Engage attack looks cool.

Roy also has an AOE attack, plus drops a huge fire grid that slows enemy movement a lot. Stacking Draconic Hex with this is also really good. He also gives Hold Out, which is a useful skill that is way, way too SP costly to ever realistically/effectively inherit.

Lyn, as you said, is great for deleting most things off the map from halfway across it. Very useful to snipe in runaway thief or any flier. And as mentioned, the doubles can act as great decoys for pulling/distracting enemies. Speedtaker and Alacrity are also just very solid and useful combat skills.

Eirika is kinda eh, but being able to access Sol on demand will always be useful (particularly for Hero units that benefit from being Max HP). Combined with Gentility, she gives a good bit of survivability.

I think Ike is the strongest Emblem in the game.

Micaiah having an on-demand global heal (along with massive exp gain) is bonkers. On top of that she lets you AOE Warp/Rescue/Obstruct/anything else you can think of.

Lucina kinda sucks combat-wise, but she allows any unit to chain attack. Pairing this up with a flier mage with Thunder means chain attacks from across the map. Or a Thief for stacking debuffs. Her Bond Shield is also useful for pulling targets and access to bows for an errant flier is always useful.

Corrin's terrain effects are so strong. Obviously Yunaka + Corrin is a nutty combo, but being able to massively slow down enemy movement via water tiles, flame tiles, or ice tiles gives a ton of map control. Or she can make unbreakable terrain. Or healing terrain. Or def/res terrain. Plus Torrential Roar and movement disable. Plus Draconic Hex. Pair Up also cold stops the only thing that can scratch avoid tanking and def/res tanking. Corrin might be my vote for second strongest Emblem. Plus one time in the Somniel she threatened to give everyone massages which is really funny.

Byleth gives a 4-way dance. And is a rally bot (mileage may vary on unit type I guess). Plus one of his early skills is just an exp boost. Some of the hero relic weapons seem really good too but I haven't played around with them too much.

Conversely to all of this, Marth just excels at single-target damage. Which all the Emblems do in addition to the utility Marth doesn't give. Guess he makes your unit more dodgey on player phase?

It's going to be a real shame if Emblems don't come back around. I know they could always haphazardly justify things ala Fates and the children mechanic, but considering how often Fire Emblem reinvents itself I'm not holding my breath. Plus I think the next game (not considering an FE4 remake) will finally be the one to capitalize/build on Three Houses.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
This is how much use I got out of the emblems in my first playthrough. It's a pretty preliminary, personal-experience tier list that I would already mess with based on being halfway through maddening, but it really shows the diversity of opinions on the topic--which is a good thing; if it were obvious which ones were the best, it would be a lot more boring

corrin was mostly a dud for me because I played so aggressively that the terrain just never really had a chance to matter, and I had multiple characters who could reliably dodge tank without needing terrain anyways. She was basically just a boss debuffer, which was still useful, but a step below everyone else

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Marth feels so rear end that I keep forgetting that I even have him on characters
On the other hand, Celica and Wrap Ragnarok feels immensely busted to burst down bosses

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Tae posted:

Some of these paralogue choices are random. Did they really not choose like any other map for Celica other than iirc like a sidequest?

Not sure what Echoes map would have been good tbh. Poison swamp is far too tedious.

Boat maps are amusing I guess.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
drat, they really wanted you to bench Alfred and his starting squad, huh? Random lance dude just rolled in on this defense map with what I’m pretty sure are better stats than an average Alfred could have. Still gonna use him though, even if Amber could probably use this forged great lance better than him even with Alfred’s personal.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Emblem rankings:

S: Lyn, Byleth, Micaiah, Roy (Bond uncapped)
A: Corrin, Ike, Roy (Bond capped), (DLC) Edelgard
B: Marth, Eirika, Celica, Sigurd, Lucina, (DLC) Tiki
C: Leif

The S tiers are the transformational Emblems. Having Lyn, Byleth or Micaiah lets you do something totally unique that automatically makes you a much better character. They each even have two of these gimmicks: Lyn's clone decoys and her Speedtaker stacking (AND her Engage attack), Byleth's Instruction rallying (on Alear) and Goddess Dance, Micaiah's ranged AOE staves and Nosferatu. Bond Uncapped Roy feels a little weird to place here, but he gives sword units a 1-2 option with +5 to both defenses AND the incredible power of Hold Out+++, plus a lot of raw power. Roy's Engage is the only way to make a sword unit a true Enemy Phase juggernaut (until Alear on the very last stage, with Wille Glanz), and he's very good at it. He might be more of an A+, but it's right on the line.

The A tiers are the really good ones that don't seriously transform you. Corrin is there almost entirely because good placement of ice lets you set up against enemy formations with near impunity, and Draconic Hex is very useful when bosses have multiple HP bars. Portable cover for Yunaka is cool. Ike makes you tank, but it's not on the level of uncapped Roy unless you're using Great Aether, and that's a once-per-Engage. With Roy, even earlier forms of Hold Out let Roy's partner take a boss's best directly to the face and be just fine afterward. It's just that before Hold Out++ and +++, you're more likely to get killed by everything else there afterward. The Edelgard DLC Bracelet mostly just gives you numbers and two Engage weapons, but they're very good numbers and very good Engage weapons, and it's the only way to get a Longbow on someone that can fly, letting you break a lot of stages in half for free. Plus, the extra turn Engage attack once you get Byleth.

The B tiers are the "just gives you more numbers" Emblems. Marth would be A on Alear, but alas Lightning Speed goes last in the attack exchange and therefore often doesn't heal you in endgame. Eirika in particular feels like she kind of lacks an identity beyond the Bracer and the two halves of Blue Skies, and past a certain point Warp Ragnarok and the +magic damage on Celica stop being impressive. Sigurd and Lucina feel weird to put here, because Canter and Dual Assist are both incredibly strong, but realistically speaking that's all they really have, and the power of those skills lies in getting them on everyone. By themselves, they're both pretty mediocre. Sigurd does have giant movement when Engaged, but generally that's only contributing a one-time damage boost with Momentum, and if you charge Sigurd's partner way out ahead then Sigurd is contributing nothing to keep them alive. The DLC Tiki Bracelet falls off more and more as you go because a lot of the power is in the Engage, and the Engage locks you to the Engage weapons for the duration. Starsphere does make characters ridiculous eventually, though, and Geosphere is very nice.

Leif bad. Adaptable is a cool concept, but his Engage weapons are bad and it switches to them much more often than I'd like. Arms Shield will keep you alive, sure, but in my experience you won't do too much while you're not dying.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

drat, they really wanted you to bench Alfred and his starting squad, huh? Random lance dude just rolled in on this defense map with what I’m pretty sure are better stats than an average Alfred could have. Still gonna use him though, even if Amber could probably use this forged great lance better than him even with Alfred’s personal.

Alfred's averages at level 11 are

HP: 32
STR: 12
DEX: 12
SPD: 9
DEF: 12
RES: 7
LCK: 11

Amber's joining stats are

HP: 31
STR: 15
DEX: 13
SPD: 11
DEF: 9
RES: 3
LCK: 9

Their averages at level 20 are

Alfred

HP: 39
STR: 17
DEX: 16
SPD: 13
DEF: 17
RES: 9
LCK: 16

Amber

HP: 37
STR: 20
SKL: 16
SPD: 13
DEF: 12
RES: 4
LCK: 13

Obviously if you early promote either of them this varies but what's going on here is pretty clear. Amber will definitely beat out Alfred when he joins but over time Alfred is the tanky one and Amber is the strong one. I'd compare it to Lowen and Sain in FE7 or something.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, that mostly seems like a lateral thing in practice instead of Amber just completely outclassing him, glad to be wrong. Aside from the attack speed because of Build, but I guess I could just level Alfred’s bond with Leif if that’s not super expensive.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah Leif's build+3 is cheap and easy to get to.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Getting Build skills seems not worth when you could just get Spd skills instead

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Einander posted:

Emblem rankings:
Leif bad. Adaptable is a cool concept, but his Engage weapons are bad and it switches to them much more often than I'd like. Arms Shield will keep you alive, sure, but in my experience you won't do too much while you're not dying.

The fact that the Master Lance is his Engage weapon is just :psyduck:, considering it's a brave weapon and Leif is clearly meant to be a defensive emblem. Not to mention the thing is heavy as gently caress and only has 55 hit; if you're not carrying your own lances already Leif switching to the Master Lance might just make you get doubled, miss on the counter, then die.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
leif was doomed the instant they decided to not make his engage attack capture the enemy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also lapis's stats are about the same as kagetsu's in the longrun kagetsu just joins at a higher level than shed be. in general character stats are actually extremely tightly balanced. (except bunet, who is inexplicably terrible.)