Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

My deck is here, UK to AU in 9 days

That vent smell!

So I've installed Decky and DeckSettings, vibrantDeck, ProtonDB Badges and PowerTools plugins.

Anything else recommended, either via Github or as Decky plugins?

Emudeck can wait until I have an SD card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Plugin wise get How Long To Beat for backlog bashing, SteamGridDB for fixing the older games in your library that don't have a full set of modern Steam UI images without having to go to the desktop and whatever the boot video loader plugin is called so you can have Steam Pal dancing on boot.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Heran Bago posted:

They both work and look good. Here is how I got them going. I did not use the SD card or EmuDeck versions for this.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Eater Dreamcast HD texture pack.

The 7z for the Kain pack includes a copy of the Flycast emulator and the textures put into the right folders if it were a Windows installation.
I installed Flycast through Discover, opened it, saw the location for the next step in its settings, and closed it.
I extracted the Flycast+SR1HDRE contents into /home/deck/.var/app/org.flycast.Flycast/. This turned out to be incorrect, but I noticed the folder /T36802N/. Searching this indicated that it will be looking for the US version of the game.
I right-clicked Flycast in my start-menu and chose "Edit Application..." to get the location of the .desktop file to add to my Steam library: /var/lib/flatpak/app/org.flycast.Flycast/current/active/export/share/applications/org.flycast.Flycast.desktop
I opened Flycast again and enabled Load Custom Textures at the bottom of the Video settings.
I returned to gaming mode and started Flycast. It didn't seem to remember my settings, so I enabled custom textures again.
I started the iso. It didn't load the textures.
I returned to desktop mode and turned on the option to dump textures. I also used Flatseal to make sure it had write access to home. By observing the folders where new .pngs were created, I realized the /T36802N/ folder should be inside /home/deck/.var/app/org.flycast.Flycast/data/flycast/textures/. As far as I can tell, no where online points out that this is the correct location for loading HD textures with Flycast on Steam Deck.
I returned to gaming mode and tried with this location. Raziel's chest is an obvious indicator that it worked. It's a really good looking texture pack. There are some artistic liberties - for example the spirals on the ground in the intro are replaces with ammonites.

Timesplitters 2 Gamecube HD texture pack

I installed Dolphin emulator through Discover, opened and closed it.
I right-clicked Dolphin in my start-menu and chose "Edit Application..." to get the location of the .desktop file to add to my Steam library. It indicated this location:
/var/lib/flatpak/app/org.DolphinEmu.dolphin-emu/current/active/export/share/applications/org.DolphinEmu.dolphin-emu.desktop
But the /current/ folder didn't seem to exist, so I had to browse to a similar folder for /applications/org.DolphinEmu.dolphin-emu.desktop.

Following the instructions on the release page:

- 2.Extract the file to "Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Load\Textures"
I extracted to /home/deck/.var/app/org.DolphinEmu.dolphin-emu/data/dolphin-emu/Load/Textures/
The folder name, GTSE4F, indicates which version of the game to be using. Google shows that's the NTSC-U one.
- 3.Launch the emulator, select "graphics" "Advanced" and enable "Load Custom Textures" or untick and tick again if it was already enabled
I unchecked and rechecked.
- 4.Click the option to pre load the textures
I unchecked and rechecked.
- 5.Turn on Anti-Alliasing for better results (2X SSAA is good enough)
Ok. Left Widescreen hack enabled.

I returned to gaming mode and started the iso. The best indications that it worked were the pop-up saying it loaded custom textures, and the loading bannar where they added "HD". The game hitches just a tiny bit when performing certain actions for the first time. This may be the way to go for Timesplitters 2, and I'm not sure I'll bother trying the Homefront mod.

Awesome, thanks.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Awesome, thanks.

You're welcome. I'm looking forward to playing Soul Reaver like this.

sea_minerals posted:

I've noticed a couple questions pop up here about the Deckmate system. I am the creator and wanted to jump in here just in case I can answer anything for you. Feel free to DM me or to reply to me here! Just wanted to let you know I'm here and that I exist in case you need anything.

I just read the rules and I don't think I'm breaking any of them by announcing my presence, but please let me know if I'm breaking some rule I don't see.

It's a neat accessory. And there are enough things added to the kit that it looks more like a product than just something anyone could 3D print.

Do you use it yourself? If so, which bits do you find most useful?

Is there really a demand for the VESA mount? Do people use it?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
What’s the best way to get ScummVM working on the deck?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

hadji murad posted:

It’s part of EmuDeck so probably that.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

hadji murad posted:

Haven't tried it yet but it's on my to do list. I think RetroArch has a ScummVM core. A quick Google shows redditors using the standalone one:

quote:

Default one click install from the repository in desktop mode. Add as non steam game. Just assign an input profile and the track pads and touch screen work perfectly. I put F5 and F1 for in game options on the rear buttons.
And if the UI is too small:

quote:

In the ScummVM global options → Misc, there's a GUI scale option
You have to do the Flatseal thing if you want to give it SD card access.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

sea_minerals posted:

I've noticed a couple questions pop up here about the Deckmate system. I am the creator and wanted to jump in here just in case I can answer anything for you. Feel free to DM me or to reply to me here! Just wanted to let you know I'm here and that I exist in case you need anything.

I just read the rules and I don't think I'm breaking any of them by announcing my presence, but please let me know if I'm breaking some rule I don't see.
AFAIK you're not breaking any rules, and it's always cool to have a dev in the thread. Actually one of the Proton devs was a regular poster ITT pre-release IIRC.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I had ScummVM set up as I would do other emulators but it wouldn’t show up in Emulation Station or in Gaming Mode.

I added ScummVM in Steam, went back to Gaming mode and launched it and everything worked just like that.

All my ROMs are on the SD card but they’ve always just worked.

Gonna follow up this success by trying to set up New Vegas. In a couple of weeks…

sea_minerals
Dec 16, 2022

Heran Bago posted:

You're welcome. I'm looking forward to playing Soul Reaver like this.

It's a neat accessory. And there are enough things added to the kit that it looks more like a product than just something anyone could 3D print.

Do you use it yourself? If so, which bits do you find most useful?

Is there really a demand for the VESA mount? Do people use it?

It is a product! It's fully manufactured and assembled specifically for me. I do offer the 3D printed files for free to download if people want to go that route, but the injection molded parts are so much nicer!

If you do want to 3D print, I put together a video on how to assemble it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW3o0NRpALo

I use the VESA mount the most actually. I have my monitor on a pole and then I have a pole VESA mount, which allows me to hover my deck over my monitor. It's honestly amazing for that. You can check it out on the website in the video on the landing page.

When on the go I mostly use the kickstand and the universal puck to attach my battery to it. The one I use least is the wall mount. I have it right above my nightstand to store my Deck if I'm playing in bed and fall asleep.

As for VESA demand, it's one of the lower selling bundles and items, but it's surprisingly one of my favorites and most used. Most people get it for pinball games to mount it vertically on their monitor stand.

The whole system is designed so you can use it however each person wants to, it's incredibly versatile!

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

TraderStav posted:

The invite link to the discord is outdated, someone care to drop a fresh one please?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Give this a try: https://discord.gg/86YFDZz5Nb

EDIT: Okay, Discord actually lets you edit the longevity of an invite - the default is 7 days. This one is set to never expire, so should be good to share indefinitely if someone wanted to shove it into the OP. I'm not associated with the Discord at all, so hopefully this was okay to do, but...seems fine.

sea_minerals posted:

Most people get it for pinball games to mount it vertically on their monitor stand.

:stare: Okay, that's fun

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 30, 2023

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

https://discord.gg/AHMPPM52C9

This shouldn't expire, tried getting a custom one up but you need Server Boosts with Discord and it would take 14 of them...

sea_minerals
Dec 16, 2022
Ah yes, that's my bad! I've updated the discord link to never expire. if you still need it, it's: https://discord.com/invite/d8QEp5fwwB

sea_minerals
Dec 16, 2022

sea_minerals posted:

Ah yes, that's my bad! I've updated the discord link to never expire. if you still need it, it's: https://discord.com/invite/d8QEp5fwwB

Lol, I thought you were asking for the deckmate discord link. Disregard this entirely, unless you want to join the Deckmate discord to help give ideas for future mounts and accessories!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I just realized that I have a professional dock from work in my house that I'm using (for work) right now, and the only connection to my work laptop is a USB-C connection. Swap that out and plug in my deck and now I have 2 monitors, plus mouse and keyboard support.

:toot:

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

changed discord link in OP. but it's full.

if I quoted you in the OP with instructions on something, and you have also made a wiki page about that thing, ... just link to wiki pages yu have written, i'll see if i can excise some OP and paste in links to wiki

i didn't make a "first reply, reserved" post :)

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

I retract my VESA criticism, pinball is indeed a rad use of it and now I kind of want to set it up myself if I can remember where I chucked the box of extra parts.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Forget if it's been mentioned but Pizza Tower seems to work well on the deck.

I may still play it on pc though bc it's very visually busy. Kinda hard to track everything on the deck.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Anyone else having trouble signing into their steam account?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

OK it's not just me. I factory reset my Deck to see if it would fix the issues I've been having with outputting audio over HDMI/DP and I haven't been able to sign back in to Steam since, either using the app to scan the QR code or manually entering my username and password. I was literally just coming in to post and see if anyone had any inkling of what's going on or what I could do to fix it.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Commander Keene posted:

OK it's not just me. I factory reset my Deck to see if it would fix the issues I've been having with outputting audio over HDMI/DP and I haven't been able to sign back in to Steam since, either using the app to scan the QR code or manually entering my username and password. I was literally just coming in to post and see if anyone had any inkling of what's going on or what I could do to fix it.

DP doesnt output audio

e: woops im wrong the deck does support it
Multichannel audio via DisplayPort over USB-C, standard USB-C, or Bluetooth 5.0

Barreft fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 31, 2023

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Mat Cauthon posted:

Anyone else having trouble signing into their steam account?

only cheaters like you

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Barreft posted:

DP doesnt output audio

e: woops im wrong the deck does support it
Multichannel audio via DisplayPort over USB-C, standard USB-C, or Bluetooth 5.0
I wasn't certain if DP could output audio, but that's beside the point. I've tried multiple HDMI cables, including one that was being used on my PS4, which outputs audio just fine, on both my official Steam dock and a third-party Dockteck USB hub with HDMI support. It's definitely a problem with the Deck itself, and I was hoping that a factory reset would allow it to re-do its updates or whatever and unfuck itself. But now I can't even sign into Steam to do the updates and see if it worked! :argh:

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

DisplayPort does support audio, by the way. Source: https://www.displayport.org/faq/

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Vegastar posted:

I retract my VESA criticism, pinball is indeed a rad use of it and now I kind of want to set it up myself if I can remember where I chucked the box of extra parts.

i cant get demons tilt or pinball fx to display vertical on the deck

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Having a strange issue when it comes to in-game screenshots on the Deck. For non-steam games, I just can't access the screenshots I've taken. In game mode I go to media and can view them but if I choose to upload them I don't see them in Steam when I access my saved screenshots on my computer. And if I go into desktop mode for whatever reason the screenshots can be viewed but I run into errors if I try to upload them to imgur or email them to myself. It's odd! And it only affects non-steam games.

Anyone ever run into this issue? I tried googling around but had no luck.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Steam can only upload Steam game screenshots to your cloud library as far as I know. For non-Steam screenshots you’ll need to pull them off with an external drive or upload them to a network folder in desktop.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Srice posted:

Having a strange issue when it comes to in-game screenshots on the Deck. For non-steam games, I just can't access the screenshots I've taken. In game mode I go to media and can view them but if I choose to upload them I don't see them in Steam when I access my saved screenshots on my computer. And if I go into desktop mode for whatever reason the screenshots can be viewed but I run into errors if I try to upload them to imgur or email them to myself. It's odd! And it only affects non-steam games.

Anyone ever run into this issue? I tried googling around but had no luck.

when you take a screenshot through steam, it goes to a certain subfolder in .steam

I'm not at home to look for the exact location myself but the folder you're looking for is "760"

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

njsykora posted:

Steam can only upload Steam game screenshots to your cloud library as far as I know. For non-Steam screenshots you’ll need to pull them off with an external drive or upload them to a network folder in desktop.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

when you take a screenshot through steam, it goes to a certain subfolder in .steam

I'm not at home to look for the exact location myself but the folder you're looking for is "760"

Ah, that helped, was able to find that folder and this time around it worked properly. Cheers :cheerdoge:

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Hm, seems my TV is the secondary monitor when docked in desktop mode. How would I make it primary?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Go into the display settings (right click on the desktop for instance) and you should be able to select each monitor individually to change their settings.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Uh I think Dead Space Remake just killed my deck. Was playing just fine then the fan stops, the game tanks to like 1fps and everything is SLOW. Battery was still at least 50% so I restart and plug in to the charger. Nothing. Just as slow to boot, nothing actually comes up. Neither Steam or Windows will boot now.

OK after liek a dozen restart and bitching about it the Deck just booted. Spooky.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

this is making me think "are there any PC games that support dual monitors, ie two actual separate displays... you'd think they'd have come around to that now..." and "what wiiu game should i try with this"

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Mescal posted:

this is making me think "are there any PC games that support dual monitors, ie two actual separate displays... you'd think they'd have come around to that now..." and "what wiiu game should i try with this"

Supreme commander let you put the map up on a separate display but that’s the only thing I can think of off the top of my head

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Most modern UBI games have settings for where your ui goes in multi monitor setups.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

X3 let you put up viewscreens for other ships in your fleet and move them around. X4 doesn't though.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Man DS games work really well on this thing. Am playing Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow and you can switch view to the second screen with R2 and use all the touch screen gimmicks perfectly. Feels great to play.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dead Space remake now showing as Verified hell yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

Man DS games work really well on this thing. Am playing Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow and you can switch view to the second screen with R2 and use all the touch screen gimmicks perfectly. Feels great to play.
Depending on the game you can also set up a split screen or picture and picture layout and bind the trackpad to a screen region directly over the touchscreen window. Played a lot of Kid Icarus Uprising on Citra and its an incredible way to play that game.