Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

what’s up with that cricle group thing that zahawi is chairman of, isn’t keir also in that thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Andrew should ask for his £12 million back then.

happyhippy has issued a correction as of 17:22 on Jan 28, 2023

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Labour are hoping to scrape in with record low turnout. Once a General Election is called Keir will have to sell people on him, and the general public will go "urgh" and hold their nose to vote for him if even at all.

Or he could just lie like gently caress while reassuring all the Lobby hacks that he's lying through his teeth, since it worked so well for him the first time.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Jazerus posted:

can anyone explain to me why british children's show characters always look like a pile of vomit with a clown wig glued on

i mean, this one more so than most, but it's not alone

the special effects department working entirely out of a dumpster is a long standing BBC tradition if Doctor Who is any indication

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Jel Shaker posted:

what’s up with that cricle group thing that zahawi is chairman of, isn’t keir also in that thing

Le cercle is something a little different and it's what Rory Stewart was chairman of before zahawi

Trilateral commission is what Epstein was a member of

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Jel Shaker posted:

no le cercle is an explicitly big-C Conservative endeavour, and is a weird intelligence-political pressure group. the trilateral commission is, like things like the bilderberger group etc., just an elite talking shop where powerful people meet behind closed doors and sync up ideologically. they have slightly different ideological frameworks, with the trilateral commission being probably the most blandly offensive of the lot in its representation of a particularly bloodless atlanticist neoliberalism

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

there are a bunch of these shady international elite organisations where nothing much happens which is actually nefarious - they're not typically plotting specific political action at these meetings (which le cercle absolutely has a history of doing) - but which function as organs for generating transnational elite solidarity and consensus by making sure that most of the big names are no more than two degrees of separation from each other and that they've heard a lot of the same people speak. compare this with the individualised and completely haphazard political education of the masses, and you have a titanic political force multiplier even before you account for these people typically being quite powerful in their own right as well

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Jose posted:

Once a general election actually happens and he has to sell himself as well as the fact poo poo like voter ID is a thing I wouldn't take it for granted he's getting a landslide

Normally I would agree with you but I think The Tories have tanked the brand enough that they have no way back and, even though the papers hate him because he prosecuted them, Keith has convinced capital that he is their man

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmfao

https://twitter.com/newscientist/status/1619401049248251906

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
she dowsing my rod until I leak

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what the gently caress lol

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

i say swears online posted:

what the gently caress lol

it's pretty effective when all the pipes leak

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
how did severn trent get its hands on classified bomb detectors like those

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Some guy sold dowsing rods to the army to detect bombs

E: refresh before posting

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

was he the same guy that sold all those pretend bomb detectors to iraq, killing thousands of people (he got a 10 year sentence but made millions he kept)

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
The bomb detectors were dowsing rods attached to a box with some fake circuits inside. I think there were cards you could put inside the dowsing rods to make them detect whatever bullshit you want

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I'm on the fence, its going to get harder to find water seeing all the rivers, lakes, and beaches are full of poo poo,

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

The bomb detectors were dowsing rods attached to a box with some fake circuits inside. I think there were cards you could put inside the dowsing rods to make them detect whatever bullshit you want

iirc they were relabeled from being lost golf ball "detectors"

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Regarde Aduck posted:

remember the 2008 crash where every other western nation pulled out of the dive within a year but the UK did austerity and never recovered

ahhhh those were the days

impressively ignorant post

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Dowsing works so good because you can find water if you dig down in most places, and you sure as gently caress aren’t digging a bunch more holes to test whether it works better. I assume the same applies with decaying and leaky water infrastructure.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Jel Shaker posted:

Le Cercle are on the surface mostly a club of rich white dudes deciding capitalism is the best like the Trilateral Commission or Bilderberg Group, but once you go a bit deeper they're very much of the opinion that Hitler had the right idea about communism and hey, what's the point of being rich and white if you can't rape a few kids along the way.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the person filming this works for gb news and is pro tory and still posted it lol

https://twitter.com/ReemAmirIbrahim/status/1619048291857231872?s=20

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

so those are real young conservatives…?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

only a young tory would bring up castor oil like that

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
exactly as ideologically coherent as I would expect from 19 year olds drinking at a young tory bar

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

incredible of the guardian to publish this the day after a high profile columnist was let go for multiple sexual assault accusations

https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1619429802636894208?s=20

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

tristeham posted:

impressively ignorant post

Thanks?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Jose posted:

incredible of the guardian to publish this the day after a high profile columnist was let go for multiple sexual assault accusations

https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1619429802636894208?s=20

who was it that got let go?

also yes that article is terrible and the examples given barely even make sense. But particularly lol at "maybe you should spend time with your constituents instead of hanging out with j k Rowling" being held up as an example of misogynistic bullying.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

hawkish islamophobe nick cohen

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Jose posted:

the person filming this works for gb news and is pro tory and still posted it lol

https://twitter.com/ReemAmirIbrahim/status/1619048291857231872?s=20

I am not a violent man. However

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

gonadic io posted:

she dowsing my rod until I leak

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

nick cohen, but he left voluntarily for 'health reasons' completely unrelated to the multiple harrasment accusations against him, and i'm sure won't soon be railing against cancel culture in his new substack

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Apraxin posted:

nick cohen, but he left voluntarily for 'health reasons' completely unrelated to the multiple harrasment accusations against him, and i'm sure won't soon be railing against cancel culture in his new substack

oh lol the guys whose articles I never read because he looks like he drew his glasses onto his own headshot

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol absolutely incredible list here

https://twitter.com/AmIRightSir/status/1619652371143081985?s=20

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

what do they know

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Jel Shaker posted:

what do they know

They're all just vessels for Shakespeare's Ghost. Turns out he's bad.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

This is incredibly bleak

https://twitter.com/InsulateLove/status/1619272143128375296?t=u8BxC6o3-sv0m9b-b8E8XQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/InsulateLove/status/1619272149302386689?t=-j3hVivyRV1L6G_e2r4uiQ&s=19

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Jose posted:

This is incredibly bleak

I don't know about this specific case. When I see this, however, my assumption is that someone was in front of a judge to defend whether they did something or not, regardless of why, or whether it was justified.

Was there something about this case that made the reason for a protest relevant, or a valid defence?

Sir Sidney Poitier has issued a correction as of 10:01 on Jan 30, 2023

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I don't know about this specific case. When I see this, however, my assumption is that someone was in front of a judge to defend whether they did something or not, regardless of why, or whether it was justified.

Was there something about this case that made the reason for a protest relevant, or a valid defence?

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Am I a oval office?