Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Murdstone posted:

Special Guest Artist Brooke McEldowney.

you shut your piehole.

Beautiful ending to a great story. I still want to know more about the lizard dude though, I think he's the only one we ever saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
It's A Sketchy Life for January 27, 1927! This week's cover is from LJ Holton...

...who also contributes a real thigh slapper to the inside.

Garrett Price:

Paul Reilly:

E. McNerney:

Don Herold:

Well, that was pleasant. What's up for next week?

(Skims ahead)
Hmm. This oughta be fun.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
WHANGO! ! !

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Eatin'.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

manero posted:

Nancy 1943

Yikes on that racist trope though. I honestly don't know whether I should spoiler stuff like this.

(e: deleted because it was way meaner than I meant it to be, but I think it's pointless to have a historical document where in-text jokes at the expense of the characters are treated with the same blurry hand as hard racial slurs and hideously ugly stereotypes. I would like to think that we're all mature enough to be able to celebrate the past with all its warts without having to place a dumb side comment behind the same curtain as actual hate speech.)

Anyways, over at comedy site 1-900-HOTDOG, Cracked alumni Brendan McGinley did an article about the dead-eyed undying gaze of newspaper comic royalty, Buster Brown:
https://1900hotdog.com/2023/01/nerding-day-buster-brown-%f0%9f%8c%ad/

LvK fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 30, 2023

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (February 26, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Giant Ethicist posted:

The Antique Dealer’s Tale

The end!
Edit: Oh! Here's the Mangadex link if you want to share / reread / throw it some likes: https://mangadex.org/title/a397c8b4-28c2-4b0e-a8a0-f2a5faadb3ab/the-tale-of-the-antique-dealer-an-uramachi-sakaba-side-story

Yessss I'll take it

Hwurmp posted:

goddamnit they never smooched :argh:

they did, I saw them do it

Be careful little bread

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Hippocrass posted:

Feels like Randy is directly addressing critics here.
While all the criticism of him is valid, there is also a subset of critics who would complain no matter how well he did. Things change whether we want 'em to or not; he can do better, and hopefully he will, but it will not be like the old Popeye because it's not.
Also tranquilizer blow-darts solve many problems, I think he's on to something.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Haifisch posted:

Footrot Flats

My dad lost his dog as kid because the dog was doing that: One kick from the horse was all it took.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Hippocrass posted:

Feels like Randy is directly addressing critics here.

Randy's more of a "put the critic's words in the mouth of somebody, then have them eaten by rabid catgirls" kind of guy. If he lashes out, it isn't subtle.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Aww, bless.

And thanks for the post re. Charlie Brown, r.a.w.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Is no one going to question why the ring is on her middle finger?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kavak posted:

Right (wrong) hand, as well.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Kavak posted:

Tiggum posted:

Right (wrong) hand, as well.
Shhhh, let them have this.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jul. 10, 1955)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's her ring, let her wear it how she wants

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Snowi

Make your own "well, of course he's arrested safely, he's white" joke.

Rhymes with Orange

Comic Strippy 1/29/03

Brenda Starr 4/23/50

Smokey Stover 8/24/52

Everyday Movies 1/18/36

"Imagine all the trouble they go to, Mrs. Finney -- just to amuse us."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 9/12-14/40

Spoilered for background characters. For those who'd rather not look: Badly hustles Mike into the train station intending to get tickets to California and away from Scarlet, so Scarlet whacks him on the head with a bottle, making him stumble around dazedly and all the onlookers tsk-tsk about the obviously drunk guy leading a poor blind kid.

Bonus Ad! One-stop shopping for a fake nose and glasses and bourbon. You could have a pretty good party with that!

manero
Jan 30, 2006

LvK posted:

(e: deleted because it was way meaner than I meant it to be, but I think it's pointless to have a historical document where in-text jokes at the expense of the characters are treated with the same blurry hand as hard racial slurs and hideously ugly stereotypes. I would like to think that we're all mature enough to be able to celebrate the past with all its warts without having to place a dumb side comment behind the same curtain as actual hate speech.)

Thanks for the input. This, and the other response I received were helpful! There are a couple later strips that are quite egregious, so this helped me calibrate a bit on it.

Nancy 1943

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver 9: Boys Like Fun Part 1

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Claire and Glenn do quite a good impression of the classic parental inquisition. Claire’s “vibe” took a little picture research from the 1990s.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Guy. Uramachi Sakaba isn't over. It's the one-shot starring the antiques dealer that's over.

IIRC it is on hiatus though

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Kavak posted:

It's the post-apocalypse, they've lost the tradition of which finger on which hand to use.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 9/12-14/40

Where are they right now? Is Scarlet planning to stay invisible on this train ride, regularly bonking Mr. Badly in the head for the hours or days it takes to get to New Jersey?

Also, isn't Badly the kid's legal guardian, now? Can't he just write a letter back saying,"Thank you for the offer, but we can't take in a dog right now." Instead of fleeing to California?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

maltesh posted:

Where are they right now? Is Scarlet planning to stay invisible on this train ride, regularly bonking Mr. Badly in the head for the hours or days it takes to get to New Jersey?

Also, isn't Badly the kid's legal guardian, now? Can't he just write a letter back saying,"Thank you for the offer, but we can't take in a dog right now." Instead of fleeing to California?

When Scarlet bops a guy, he stays bopped.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

B. Virtanen

ANSU

Fingerpori

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Selachian posted:

Bonus Ad! One-stop shopping for a fake nose and glasses and bourbon. You could have a pretty good party with that!

Nowadays, that side of Madison and Wells is a big fancy glass-walled office skyscraper. I think I'd prefer if it was still a weird little shop that sells whiskey and nose glasses.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Zereth posted:

Guy. Uramachi Sakaba isn't over. It's the one-shot starring the antiques dealer that's over.

IIRC it is on hiatus though

Of course, we're now heading into the Wedding Arc.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Willy the Djinn

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

manero
Jan 30, 2006

The Creeps only have four fingers, but five toes :eyepop:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

maltesh posted:

Forget it, maltesh, It's Johnstown.
So we are to believe Cassandra Cat carried those crutches with her to that spot and simply waited there for Slylock to question her. I don't buy it, Weber. I don't buy it at all.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

"I would love to hear of your humiliation."

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

A great spin on the classic "FORECASTER SAID THE WORD 'SNOW' WE GOTTA GET BREAD AND MILK" panic mentality of the Southern US.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Wasn't that the only reason why saving her was bad? You know besides the Phantom getting shot? Because the Bandar reinforcement takes care of that as well, so there really is no reason why you can't just let Savarna kill a few fascists after they kept her imprisoned for years(?). This just keeps getting dumber and dumber.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

manero posted:

The Creeps only have four fingers, but five toes :eyepop:
Well yeah, remember when there was the whole finger-cutting incident arc?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Hel posted:

Wasn't that the only reason why saving her was bad? You know besides the Phantom getting shot? Because the Bandar reinforcement takes care of that as well, so there really is no reason why you can't just let Savarna kill a few fascists after they kept her imprisoned for years(?). This just keeps getting dumber and dumber.

Old man mozz gave one of the bandar warriors a gun and jampa's location

he will not be proven wrong

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Hel posted:

I think the theme of this arc is that The Phantom's plans to dodge fate will keep getting frustrated in different and unexpected ways.

I mean, we just spent a thousand years going over and over Mozz's prophecy. They aren't going to wrap it up with a week of "and then the bandar showed up and everything went fine!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Hostile V posted:

Well yeah, remember when there was the whole finger-cutting incident arc?

Oh dang, I guess I missed that one!