Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
And Settlers 1 had that already, and with the option to play coop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Rappaport posted:

Settlers 2, a city-builder game from 1995, had a multiplayer mode that was split-screen, and both players had to use their own mouse.

Lemmings on Amiga also had a two player mode with two mice. Because joysticks and mice used the same port so you could use either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAedz3nWn9E

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

lobsterminator posted:

Lemmings on Amiga also had a two player mode with two mice. Because joysticks and mice used the same port so you could use either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAedz3nWn9E

By either you mean that nobody owed two mice, so the second player had to use the joystick which sucked for controlling lemmings.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

VictualSquid posted:

By either you mean that nobody owed two mice, so the second player had to use the joystick which sucked for controlling lemmings.

Sometimes a friend brought their own mouse with them so we could play it!

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
I don't read French but just stumbled across this subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Giscardpunk/

Which is a goldmine for pictures of retro-futuristic French design and architecture from around the 1970s. Goddamn those concept cars were something else.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I was cleaning out a box from my high-school and college years (late 1970s) and found these. Apologies for the way Imgur pixelated the first.

This was one of the first mass-market programmable calculators. Mine has the bulge on the back to accommodate American batteries; IIRC it no longer runs on batteries, but does just fine when plugged into the wall adapter. Contemplate punching programs in using that keyboard; I think I did it once.

This was a checkbook calculator: it fit into the top of your checkbook holder (IIRC it originally came attached to its own checkbook holder), and, as you can see, you could balance your checkbook as you made payments. Needless to say, I didn't, because I never balanced my checkbook. Balancing a checkbook, if you're young enough to have no idea what that is.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Even without the logo I’d have guessed this was a Sinclair just from the 3 times overloaded keys.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Zopotantor posted:

Even without the logo I’d have guessed this was a Sinclair just from the 3 times overloaded keys.

They had some good designs too!

Trabant posted:

Yes, but look at these:

In 1976 these looked like spaceships compared to what else was out there.

I'm missing one :argh:

(I know, I'm comparing barely-more-than-four-function apples and programmable scientific oranges)

Too bad the Sovereign was a very expensive power hog which lasted for a nanosecond in the market.

PS If you have a silver-plated non-Jubilee edition you're open to selling, please let me know?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Sinclair pocket calculators are pretty obsolete and failed, but you can add an entire extra layer of obsolete and failed (not my photo):

Radio Shack sold a stencil model of a lot of popular pocket calculators, from just about everyone except HP. I assume that means HP never licensed their calculator designs and everyone else did, but I don't know anything about the details.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

VictualSquid posted:

In our house we had two Amigas with their own mice so it would've worked fine for us, we never played split-screen lemmings though

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Zopotantor posted:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

At least color code them!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I still have my 48GX and use it somewhat regularly

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Man, I miss the solid chunk of the HP calculator keypad. And RPN. Five-enter-three-plus-seven-dividedby .

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

SLOSifl posted:

At least color code them!

Mint and purple, yuck. Give me the orange and blue of the 48SX.

Actually no, you don’t need to, it’s right there in the drawer.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Man, I miss the solid chunk of the HP calculator keypad. And RPN. Five-enter-three-plus-seven-dividedby .

I bought old used hp48g calculators as my production calculators as an engineer until about three years ago when I basically switched entirely to mathcad and related things.

Rpn isn't much of a thing anymore unfortunately.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I have a 42S. It's epic

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I was going to ask if anyone could recognise this calculator I had in the early 80s from a brief description, but Google finally came to the rescue.

The Sharp EL-120 had a green vacuum fluorescent display that worked with 9 digits internally but only displayed 3 at a time. It also had a dedicated count button on the side that would increment the number on the screen.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/psychotronica_/status/1623502134435102720?s=20&t=Q2RuI5FPKqF1pUqpJkHGXQ

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Thanks for posting this. I'm a huge pinball nerd and have played Xenon plenty. No idea this much thought was put into the project.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

<3

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

This owns

“In the future women will listen to Beethoven’s 5th on chips they wear as earrings”
Lol, yup

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Hey, yeah, Bluetooth earrings when??

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Still a little too heavy to hang from the ears yet. If people are willing to sacrifice battery life for portability I could see them in as little as a year if a company set out to make them.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Suzanne Ciani with an amazing vintage synth:

https://youtu.be/f9tlhC1jSlo

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

namlosh posted:

This owns

“In the future women will listen to Beethoven’s 5th on chips they wear as earrings”
Lol, yup

well those piezoelectric speakers they use for greeting cards are very light so technically that earring chip was possible decades ago, for a certain fidelity of listening to Bach.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Suzanne Ciani with an amazing vintage synth:

https://youtu.be/f9tlhC1jSlo

Not vintage at all, 200e's are new-ish. Unless 2004 is vintage in which case I might as well just crumble to dust and blow away on the wind lmao.

SavageMessiah has a new favorite as of 01:53 on Feb 10, 2023

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

SavageMessiah posted:

I might as well just crumble to dust and blow away on the wind lmao.

Oh, just like in the vintage film Avengers: Endgame?

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

SavageMessiah posted:

Not vintage at all, 200e's are new-ish. Unless 2004 is vintage in which case I might as well just crumble to dust and blow away on the wind lmao.
Just for reference: Someone born in 2004 is now 18 or 19 and is allowed to drive and drink and marry.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/psychotronica_/status/1623862712756277248?s=20&t=SQbMjVNI7KJDntt0hRJ_cA

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Psychotronica is a great account

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Wipfmetz posted:

Just for reference: Someone born in 2004 is now 18 or 19 and is allowed to drive and drink and marry.

There are people alive now whose grandparents had not yet met in 2004.

(Even, depending on jurisdiction, without any laws being broken in the process. For instance where I live the general age of consent is 16. It is very rare for someone that young to actually become parents but in a population of 5 million it does happen from time to time. (Dear gods, my own kids are approaching that age range now. Not quite ready to become a grandpa just yet, thanks.))

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

That last one with the wireframe VHS tape is legit great

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Wipfmetz posted:

not all at once though

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Everyone born in the 1990s is still a kid tho. I think some people born in the early 1980s can vote now.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Wipfmetz posted:

It's not vintage if it's newer than the 80s and that's final :colbert:.

Actually on the 200e in particular, it's still being produced which precludes being called "vintage" imo.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

SavageMessiah posted:

It's not vintage if it's newer than the 80s and that's final :colbert:.
I will allow "newer than the 60s", but 80s? Madness.

I think the actual dividing line is "when I was a kid is never vintage"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"Current" is anything from up to 100 years ago. (Knowers know.)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
poo poo that was new when I was kid is nearly 60 years old so it's absolutely vintage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

namlosh posted:

That last one with the wireframe VHS tape is legit great

And anything that uses Cerrone's Supernature as the soundtrack is also awesome.