Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Justin Credible posted:

I expected something to happen up until Bill playing the piano, and when that didn't end with a blunt object to the back of the head, I was able to kick that nagging 'surprise violence betrayal' that you just fully expect.

lmao I was absolutely eyeing that clock on the mantle during that scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Aggro posted:

Joel had dinner once with Bill.

When Bill was shot and thought he was dying he repeated Joel's name over and over as a trusted person Frank could reach out too. That and that he gave him the code to the gate implies a level of trust and respect that tells us quite a bit about Joel. This is very surface level subtext!

poo poo I think it was text, actually. He says in the letter says he respects him iirc.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

stephenthinkpad posted:

But can you really keep a high voltage fence running 247? How much diesel or gasoline do you need every month?

I think the generator was natural gas powered from the same facility he broke into and turned back on for himself, and considering that he had pretty much all the gas reserves built for thousands and thousands of people to himself, I'd give it a pass of not being completely out there that it'd last quite a while

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

me:
https://i.imgur.com/WHsi2TP.mp4

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Aggro posted:

I would like to see Joel and Ellie (and Tess, until recent circumstances) struggle to survive against an apocalyptic fungal pandemic while they try to discover the secret to Ellie’s immunity. All the while, the remnants of the US government and a guerrilla rebel insurgency fight to regain control of a devastated nation, and our heroes must deftly navigate their allegiances as they head westward towards a signal of hope…or desperation.

That’s what the first two episodes promised.

Not even getting into anything else, this isn't even an accurate summation of what the first two episodes "promised". Both of them have significant portions of slice-of-life drama before/during/after the pandemic where the character interactions take center stage, and only the second half of the first episode significantly features "the remnants of the US government and a guerrilla rebel insurgency". Those elements are set dressing, not the central conflict, and if you think they are or should be then I'm afraid this show isn't for you.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

WilWheaton posted:

I think the generator was natural gas powered from the same facility he broke into and turned back on for himself, and considering that he had pretty much all the gas reserves built for thousands and thousands of people to himself, I'd give it a pass of not being completely out there that it'd last quite a while

the main problem there isn't the gas, it's keeping that big generator serviceable for two decades

also that the infrastructure in most cities looks like it collapsed in hours but no zombies chewed through the power lines in his town in that long a period

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well that was just an incredible episode. Goddamn.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

CatstropheWaitress posted:

When Bill was shot and thought he was dying he repeated Joel's name over and over as a trusted person Frank could reach out too. That and that he gave him the code to the gate implies a level of trust and respect that tells us quite a bit about Joel. This is very surface level subtext!

poo poo I think it was text, actually. He says in the letter says he respects him iirc.

Yeah, we only saw the initial meeting. It’s clear that they had developed a relationship that had gone on for quite a while, and they had a mutual respect/trust in one another.

The electric fences weren’t corroded and non-functional because Joel had brought Bill the spools of fence wire he promised.

People who want to see chases and tense scenes amongst the infected and the raiders and whatnot, I get it. I am pretty sure there is going to be a lot of that in the coming episodes.

But this episode was a nice, thoughtful change of pace, and I thought it was great.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

i say swears online posted:

the main problem there isn't the gas, it's keeping that big generator serviceable for two decades

also that the infrastructure in most cities looks like it collapsed in hours but no zombies chewed through the power lines in his town in that long a period

I think they address that by saying Joel is capable of getting materials that he'd need, including machine parts. As well as fully revamping his fence, that would stay functional for much longer than he started with.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

Jingleheimer posted:

This episode was great but hit a little too close to home for me. My stepdad has an illness similar to what Frank's illness seems to be, and I'm sure that if my stepdad were given the choice, he would probably prefer to go out like Frank to save my mom and the rest of us the trouble of taking care of him. The only problem I have with the episode was that there should have been a little more pushback from Bill about Frank having his last day, Bill seemed to go along with it too easily.

This episode was fantastic and anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong. If you're going to have an episode that does nothing to further the plot, this is the way to do it. If plot progression is your only concern, then this show isn't for you.

I'm sorry about your stepdad.

I feel like they probably sped through Bill's objections just to not slow down the pacing, but I'm also wondering if the scene directly before -- where Bill gets shot by raiders -- is influencing his decision making?

Frank can't go see a doctor, can't get diagnostic tests, can't get emergency care; all he has are pills from drug smugglers, and they have to be guessing at best what he should take. Frank is also entirely reliant upon Bill to survive -- if Bill takes another bullet, or trips and splits his head open, what then? There's no 911 to call, and Joel is hours away at best.

There's not a good ending here, for someone with a degenerative terminal condition. Bill is going to slowly watch Frank suffer until it's over.

And so Bill, seeing that Frank is determined, realizing what lays ahead for them, instead decides to go with him.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

:lol: how is any episode of this season topping this. Getting Leftovers episode 3 vibes all over again.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Gresh posted:

i know I'm probably in the minority on this but I was bored out of my loving skull this episode

Yeah we're in the minority here. My wife and I fast forwarded through parts. Like, it was a nice black mirror episode and touching but it felt like they blew their budget last episode and needed a cheaper one this episode.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Great episode. Loved the use of Max Richter, even if that song is notoriously overused.

If anyone wants to keep the ugly tears going, now is a great time to revisit the ending of Arrival which also used it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h10sJv3IacQ

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I had a hard time watching the end of the episode because some sand got in my eyes and they lachrymated fiercely to get it out.

Koirhor posted:

It was a good episode, I get what complainers might be coming from because its the third episode, kinda of side tracks our ability to get to know the actual characters in the story going forward, I could feel this would be more earned after a little more hardship on Joel and Ellie shown on screen

Bella Ramsey sold me on her character in this episode.

stephenthinkpad posted:

No complaints on the episode.

But can you really keep a high voltage fence running 247? How much diesel or gasoline do you need every month?

Also how come the raiders didn't sack the compound? Seems to be pretty easy for non zombies.

Electric fence takes fuckall power if no one is actively being electrocuted by it (or a tree falls on it, which is electrically the same thing).

My only problems with the episode were that the plane crash CGI looked bad, that the forest “ten miles west of Boston” is obviously not a forest ten miles west of Boston, and they put Ellie’s backpack right next to a stump from trail maintenance that was not twenty years in the past.

Oh yeah and the strawberry patch was planted the same morning that it was shot.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Platystemon posted:

that the forest “ten miles west of Boston” is obviously not a forest ten miles west of Boston,

I laughed out loud at that caption. You know, the Massachusetts Rockies.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Craig Mazin is a hack, Chernobyl had that boring love story between the firefighter and his wife, when all the audience really wanted was more action scenes like the one where Pavel shoots a dog.

Seriously though, what a perfect episode of TV. Bella Ramsey and Pedro Pascal are colliding with each other so effectively. I looked up the characters from the game and I think this was a much better way to do it - in the game, Frank secretly hated Bill, betrayed him, and then got mauled by the infected.

Justin Credible posted:

You could totally do another 20-ish minutes of the zombie outbreak stuff at the beginning and it just be a really good movie.

I think I'm going to cut out the Joel and Ellie scenes and show this to my mom. I'll tell her it's a short film called "The Government Are All Nazis" so as not to spoil anything.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I was like “watch this piano be in tune after all these years”, but I was pleasantly surprised when Bill played it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Platystemon posted:

I was like “watch this piano be in tune after all these years”, but I was pleasantly surprised when Bill played it.

Frank learned his lessons well and reincarnated as the happy little frog from episode 2. :shobon:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Frank learned his lessons well and reincarnated as the happy little frog from episode 2. :shobon:

I love how this episode recontexutalizes the song from the end credits of Episode 1 as Bill informing Joel about his and Frank's deaths using the "Come Quick, Distress" 80s code song to get Joel to the compound to find the letter. Only Joel missed the broadcast, yet found his way there anyway.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I think it’s ok to not enjoy the episode and it’s valid and everything but just remember that your time on earth is limited and you probably have better things to do than continue watching something that upsets you and/or posting to complain about it on a dead internet message board.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Nick Offerman was so perfect for this role. As soon as I saw him, I thought I knew what kind of episode I was in for.

Apparently they originally cast Con O'Neill in that role. This guy:

He was a good Bryukhanov, but I don't think he could have pulled this off.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Nick Offerman was too good to play Joel.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Jingleheimer posted:

This episode was great but hit a little too close to home for me. My stepdad has an illness similar to what Frank's illness seems to be, and I'm sure that if my stepdad were given the choice, he would probably prefer to go out like Frank to save my mom and the rest of us the trouble of taking care of him.

Yeah, this was basically my issue with the changes here. They're unquestionably better but it just reminds me too much of real life personal stuff that I find very hard to watch or even read about nowadays. As soon as we got the 10 year jump with the chair, Frank's weary frustration, Bill counting out a plethora of pills, it was too much for me, brought a lot of stuff flooding back.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

abelwingnut posted:

i'm also...conflicted? i now really want to watch a playthrough of the game. but i also really love this as a show from hbo.

would it be a total mistake to watch a full run of the game at this point? or should i just let the hbo show keep doing its thing?

i really do like what's going on here.

If you're all in on at this point I think you should totally play the game, ideally the Last of Us Part 1 Remake on PS5 (coming soon to PC!) but the older versions on PS4/PS3 are fine also... and of course you can just watch a playthrough (again, probably of the remake) if you don't own a console but the game is very playable for non-gamers given the accessibility and difficulty features they have should you have access to one.

I think it's a mistake to say everything in here is new, Bill, his cloistered town, and his relationship with Frank is very much something "from the games" but the extent to which it was explored is dramatically different and more fleshed out. In the game this is a level that's a lot more 'video gamey' i.e. dodging Bill's traps, there are actual zombies, etc.,

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
If Villa Gesell can have mountains despite being a flat, coastal location in X-Men First Class, Boston can have mountainous terrain too :colbert:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Chamale posted:

Seriously though, what a perfect episode of TV. Bella Ramsey and Pedro Pascal are colliding with each other so effectively. I looked up the characters from the game and I think this was a much better way to do it - in the game, Frank secretly hated Bill, betrayed him, and then got mauled by the infected.

The way I took it in the game back then was the Frank and Bill relationship had started out like the one in this ep but without the terminal illness at the end. However it had soured after an argument much worse than the one shown in the ep. Like Frank wanted to go elsewhere and Bill absolutely was not going to do that, they fought about it a lot, Frank resented him and that turned into hate (like, being in a town with just one other person capable of conversation who you once loved but is extremely set in his ways is gonna be rough). So he went to go and get the battery to leave, got himself bitten, wrote the note (which seemed like one of those "ease your guilt by making it easier to hate me" ones to me) and killed himself.

Episode was quite good. I guess I get peoples complaints about it not featuring the main characters much but cause I've played the game I'm not really too fussed.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
The episode's core love story was absolutely beautiful, but the tiny thing I just loved was Ellie's genuine wonder at jet planes and riding in a lovely car. Just a very good note about the divide between people old enough to remember before and kids who aren't.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ellie is going to die from those twenty‐year‐old tampons stored in a dank cellar.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

That episode was beautiful and touching and I don’t understand some of the goons here complaining about it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

We usually park for the airport 10 miles west of Boston, next to the REI.

I guess wasteland suburbia is a lot more expensive to build as a set.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

smackfu posted:

We usually park for the airport 10 miles west of Boston, next to the REI.

I guess wasteland suburbia is a lot more expensive to build as a set.

Honestly a world without the last 20 years of suburban sprawl and development would be pretty different in some areas.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

True, I don’t know if twenty years is long enough to turn a parking lot into a forest. If it is, suburbs looks a lot different.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
10 miles barely get out of Cambridge.

I am sure the MIT guys would have built a little campground around their little lab reactor.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aggro posted:

Am I missing something? What about their love story is remotely unique or interesting?
I didn't hate the episode, but it was a short film that I've seen many versions of before. There was nothing new about it. And it did feel almost entirely unrelated to the actual plot of the series.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

To me it works well as world building, aside from everything else. We now know:
  1. the gov doesn't bother searching out small villages,
  2. that the infected aren't as omnipresent as other shows,
  3. infected are predictable enough to be worked around,
  4. the general timeline from outbreak to scavenger groups,
  5. how small towns were handled by the gov,
  6. that love is what's worth living for and protecting in this show's view,
  7. that survival, and poo poo, thriving, is possible within this apocalyptic world
  1. What do we gain by knowing this?
  2. We already know that.
  3. We already know that.
  4. What do we gain by knowing this?
  5. Covered in the Joel/Ellie part of the episode.
  6. Pretty sure this is going to be covered in a way that's far more relevant to the central characters as the series continues.
  7. Debatable. Maybe if you're a weirdo recluse.

nine-gear crow posted:

One raid that we saw, anyway. I'm assuming there were others. It seemed like it was a relatively rote occurrence for them at that point and neither of them seemed especially rattled by the raid, more that Bill took a bullet during it more than anything.
Seemed pretty clear to me that that was the first (and possibly only) raid they'd experienced. We'd just seen Joel warn Bill that there would be raiders (indicating that there hadn't been any yet), and Frank did not react like this was something he was used to.

spacing in vienna posted:

I feel like they probably sped through Bill's objections just to not slow down the pacing, but I'm also wondering if the scene directly before -- where Bill gets shot by raiders -- is influencing his decision making?
The scene that took place years earlier? I don't think it was at the forefront of his mind.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think it’s ok to not enjoy the episode and it’s valid and everything but just remember that your time on earth is limited and you probably have better things to do than continue watching something that upsets you and/or posting to complain about it on a dead internet message board.
You don't know my life.

Quorum posted:

the tiny thing I just loved was Ellie's genuine wonder at jet planes and riding in a lovely car. Just a very good note about the divide between people old enough to remember before and kids who aren't.
I did like that stuff. The bits of this episode that Ellie and Joel were in were actually quite good, I thought. If the focus stays on them from here on and we get more like that, I'll actually enjoy this show.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

How would you know something is not related to the plot without seeing how the plot progresses? This is a really weird way to look at episode 3 of a TV series.

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I didn't hate the episode, but it was a short film that I've seen many versions of before. There was nothing new about it. And it did feel almost entirely unrelated to the actual plot of the series.

1. What do we gain by knowing this?
  2. We already know that.
  3. We already know that.
  4. What do we gain by knowing this?
  5. Covered in the Joel/Ellie part of the episode.
  6. Pretty sure this is going to be covered in a way that's far more relevant to the central characters as the series continues.
  7. Debatable. Maybe if you're a weirdo recluse.

Seemed pretty clear to me that that was the first (and possibly only) raid they'd experienced. We'd just seen Joel warn Bill that there would be raiders (indicating that there hadn't been any yet), and Frank did not react like this was something he was used to.

The scene that took place years earlier? I don't think it was at the forefront of his mind.

You don't know my life.

I did like that stuff. The bits of this episode that Ellie and Joel were in were actually quite good, I thought. If the focus stays on them from here on and we get more like that, I'll actually enjoy this show.

didnt read lol

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Darko posted:

How would you know something is not related to the plot without seeing how the plot progresses? This is a really weird way to look at episode 3 of a TV series.
Well, I don't know. That's why I said "it did feel almost entirely unrelated to the actual plot". It was the impression I got. Maybe it will turn out to be extremely important later. I don't think it will, but I don't know and I don't claim to. I'm just judging it by how it seems right now, because that's all I have to go on.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Hey, they had a Cumberland Farms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
As stated, if this episode was 40 minutes longer it'd win an Oscar

Instead it'll win an emmy for Offerman