Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

not until I'm 2,968

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Having finished Hi-Fi Rush over the weekend, it's just an absolute joy to play from beginning to end. I know people have been gushing about it already, but it really is a gem of a game, definitely don't sleep on it.
You can really feel the developers put so much love into every aspect.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

exquisite tea posted:

I like to call that 2008-2010 period of gaming "The Steve Bloom Era"

:dadjoke:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hi-Fi Rush triggered my PTSD from back when I played DmC: Devil May Cry by having an encounter where they have two color coded enemies that you can't attack unless you you a specific move that allows you to continue playing the game.
As a bonus, Hi-Gi Rush doesn't allow you to even aim the move in question so you just have run around in circles waiting for the cooldown to go down before you're allowed to continue to play the game and you better hope it actually hits the right enemy for you.

It really is the *exactly* same game as DmC, down to copying the most universally hated mechanic of that game.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What's the best way to play System Shock 2 these days?

I remember people being unhappy with the Steam release when it came out, but I don't remember why or if the GOG version is any better.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

LLSix posted:

I remember people being unhappy with the Steam release when it came out, but I don't remember why or if the GOG version is any better.

Doesn't matter, they're both the same version

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

LLSix posted:

I last played it 'for real' long before the Steam release, but from what I can tell even in the Steam version you need to manually mod up a lot of stuff. Mostly HD textures, there's a thread in the Steam forum linking to the right stuff. GOG apparently needs the exact same treatment too.

It's probably safe to buy it on either platform, fire it up to make sure it works, then immediately go grab all the texture mod stuff. Note that this is recommended even for your first playthrough: SS2 was an ugly game even in its day, the devs having chosen low hardware reqs over decent textures/polycounts.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I can only speculate as to why (music licensing?) but Syndicate 2012 was delisted two years ago. Not just from Steam, EA doesn't sell it either. I never got a chance to try it.

It could be something like that but Syndicate 2012 was also a massive failure from what I recall. Something like not even 100k copies sold within a year which must be millions and millions gone for a company like EA so spending on money at all on it is probably too much for them. Glad I got to play its co-op mode after buying it for $5 though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
If you didn't know, on Windows 11, the Series controllers screenshot button will actually save screenshots in games (a long press starts recording video). However, afaict, it only works with this Game Bar option enabled

The problem being, this screws with Steam's guide button chord functionality, which I can't live without. The screenshot button working natively would be useful for games that won't run through Steam (like Game Pass games).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
In your Steam desktop controller config, mapping the screenshot button to whatever your game bar screenshot shortcut works too. However, last time I did this it would consistently stop saving screenshots after a couple of hours (or maybe a set number of screenshots). Though that's probably Windows' fault, and it's possible the same issue would arise using the button natively.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jan 30, 2023

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

now that I’ve got a parry Hi-Fi Rush is becoming a lot more fun. I also like the sheer amount of arrows pointing the way forward, makes it very easy to get the collectibles

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

mistermojo posted:

now that I’ve got a parry Hi-Fi Rush is becoming a lot more fun. I also like the sheer amount of arrows pointing the way forward, makes it very easy to get the collectibles

I just learned that you can also parry the big machine counterattacks too if you want to skip the QTE showdown and kill them outright. I've gotten through the entire game on Hard but still feel like there's so much to learn.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Oh hey, cool, at sometime since I bitched about this last year...

secretly best girl posted:

The rarest achievements profile kinda sucks because it solely counts based on how few people ever got a thing and it means that mine is locked forever since I played a now-delisted game's multiplayer.

All of these save the two obvious outliers are from Dreamkiller MP. Cool.

...someone decided to do something with the Rarest Achievements showcase, because now only the Dreamkiller stuff is invisible.

I would presume they just made it auto-hide anything which is delisted, but I think both Puzzle Pirates (original) and Spiral Knights both count in that too and I cannot figure this out.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
insane stats, I appreciate the flex

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Disgaea 7. https://store.steampowered.com/app/2250600/Disgaea_7_Vows_of_the_Virtueless/

Apparently featuring gigantic Prinnies?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

secretly best girl posted:

Oh hey, cool, at sometime since I bitched about this last year...

...someone decided to do something with the Rarest Achievements showcase, because now only the Dreamkiller stuff is invisible.

I would presume they just made it auto-hide anything which is delisted, but I think both Puzzle Pirates (original) and Spiral Knights both count in that too and I cannot figure this out.

no my rare marvel heroes achievements

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

John Lee posted:

no my rare marvel heroes achievements

Don't worry, those are still there!

note: Despite what this says, I have never "completed" a single game on Steam or got every achivement for a game, so those stats are untrustworthy at best

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

deep dish peat moss posted:

Don't worry, those are still there!

note: Despite what this says, I have never "completed" a single game on Steam or got every achivement for a game, so those stats are untrustworthy at best

You can just click on the number and it tells you that the one perfect game you have has one achievement for just launching the game.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

deep dish peat moss posted:

Do you have any games that have no achievements? That might explain the percentage.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Flair posted:

Do you have any games that have no achievements? That might explain the percentage.

Games without achievements are not counted for those stats.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

tithin posted:

It wasn't - from memory it was entirely a multiplayer FPS with parkour (well implemented) that struggled to find a playerbase and was delisted.

e: I was wrong about it being delisted, I stopped playing it because I was under the impression the servers were no longer running.

Last reviewed 12 years ago...
Brink wasn't just kept running, Bethesda randomly made it free-to-play one year as a Quakecon surprise. No microtransaction mechanics, they just removed the price tag and let an apathetic world at it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm still waiting for D6 to go on a deeper sale. Its current price of $45 is apparently the lowest its been, despite being one of the worst-received entries in the series I think.
I don't even care about the swap to 3D models, but I heard it runs like rear end.

Funny how for the longest time I really didn't care about games going from $60 -> $70 because they had been $60 forever, but Disgaea was one of the first games I was like, "I'm not spending seventy loving dollars on that"

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Sininu posted:

You can just click on the number and it tells you that the one perfect game you have has one achievement for just launching the game.

Nice, It's a f2p game with only one achievement ('play the game') that I removed from my account

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
How is An Airport for Aliens Currently Run by Dogs? I added it pre-release and saw it's on sale. Is it fun?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

MMF Freeway posted:

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Hed posted:

How is An Airport for Aliens Currently Run by Dogs? I added it pre-release and saw it's on sale. Is it fun?

they're good dogs, hed

(very charming and offbeat adventure that really runs with its gimmick; I enjoyed it quite a bit)

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Extremely happy and proud to share that after toiling in the video game mines for over a decade, my brother has struck out on his own and made the game he has been thinking about for years. Loosely inspired by Miasmata, CACHE GRABBERS is a relaxing, first-person cartography puzzle game, and its page just went up on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2258260/Cache_Grabbers/

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Brocktoon posted:

Extremely happy and proud to share that after toiling in the video game mines for over a decade, my brother has struck out on his own and made the game he has been thinking about for years. Loosely inspired by Miasmata, CACHE GRABBERS is a relaxing, first-person cartography puzzle game, and its page just went up on Steam.

Well this looks dope as hell. Thanks for the heads up!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Propaganda Hour posted:

Well this looks dope as hell. Thanks for the heads up!

Yes it does. Can’t wait to cart and chill in that dreamworld.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Kibayasu posted:

It could be something like that but Syndicate 2012 was also a massive failure from what I recall. Something like not even 100k copies sold within a year which must be millions and millions gone for a company like EA so spending on money at all on it is probably too much for them. Glad I got to play its co-op mode after buying it for $5 though.

Syndicate 2012 makes me sad because Syndicate Wars is one of my all time favourite games and probably the oldest game I still replay every few years.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Ciaphas posted:

it definitely seemed like the obvious route, but if this game's taught me one thing it's to be quick about trying (and looking for) alternate routes rather than stubbornly throwing slugcat after slugcat into the jaws (or, uh, cancerous tentacle blobs?) of doom

(e) this did not pay off in the shaded citadel of course, if you recall :v:

hey so found your problem, maybe

today's patch posted:

Fixed overseer guidance in Shaded Citadel being wrong when More Slugcats Expansion was enabled.
whoops!

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Brocktoon posted:

Very cool, I loved Miasmata. I was always sad that it's more involved brand of open world exploration never caught on.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Every time someone mentions Syndicate 2012 I have to rock out a bit to this track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B82l5Mk4bg

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

lets hang out posted:

hey so found your problem, maybe

whoops!
lmfao that'd do it

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ciaphas posted:

lmfao that'd do it

I just started playing for the first time and I think that got me too, lol

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Say no more! Wishlisted.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

MMF Freeway posted:

A high Avg. Game Completion Rate is next to godliness.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

A high Avg. Game Completion Rate is next to godliness.

You know you can quit when a game stops being fun, right? My average completion is 16% and that seems really high, so I’m questioning how they calculate it. I drop most games in less than 30 minutes these days, since so many are absolute dogshit.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

chglcu posted:

You know you can quit when a game stops being fun, right? My average completion is 16% and that seems really high, so I’m questioning how they calculate it. I drop most games in less than 30 minutes these days, since so many are absolute dogshit.

I've been really selective about the games I even buy in the first place so I don't have a ton of stuff in my library that I dislike. That being said, this still includes a fair number of games that are at like 5 or 10% unlocked because I put them down and never really returned to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Most of the 30-60 minutes games in my library are actually good games that I bought because they came so highly recommended, only to realize that nope, Inscryption will not make me like a card game and Hades will not make me like a roguelike hack-and-slash(?). Also quite a few classics that I bought just to have them.