Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Shame Boy posted:

I think you're perfectly welcome to stop working and not have a job anymore

if too many people quit around the same time they can be jailed because now it's an illegal "collective action" lmao

what is it with rails and labor laws in this country?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Harik posted:

if too many people quit around the same time they can be jailed because now it's an illegal "collective action" lmao

what is it with rails and labor laws in this country?

Anywhere a lot of people rely on public transit, a strike has the possibility to actually inconvenience people, maybe even white people who vote, and that is the worst crime imaginable.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

People should protest quietly from their own home during non-business hours, it's just proper decorum

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Harik posted:

if you can't stop working or you get arrested it's literal slavery

I have some news regarding the legality of slavery in USA for you...

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

BonHair posted:

no it's over forever and ever nothing in america has been slavery since 1865 when it was all ended forever by democrats shut up!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Zvahl posted:

no it's over forever and ever nothing in america has been slavery since 1865 when it was all ended forever by democrats shut up!

lol people that think this are definitely also the type to point out that it was actually ended by republicans. They just don't think republicans have changed in 150 years.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Shame Boy posted:

Anywhere a lot of people rely on public transit, a strike has the possibility to actually inconvenience people, maybe even white people who vote, and that is the worst crime imaginable.

there’s probably an explanation for this but how come police are allowed to strike and renegotiate etc?

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

who's gonna stop them?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SpacePig posted:

lol people that think this are definitely also the type to point out that it was actually ended by republicans. They just don't think republicans have changed in 150 years.

It's brilliant rhetoric because a lot of people are really stupid and don't know that either

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

there’s probably an explanation for this but how come police are allowed to strike and renegotiate etc?

They've earned it by being Every Day Heroes :patriot:

Also:

Eight-Six posted:

who's gonna stop them?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
didnt the cops take some mayor's daughter hostage a couple years back as a negotiation tactic?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Like what are you gonna do, call in the national guard? On cops? At best that would be political suicide (imagine all the news footage of Our Brave Officers being jostled about by JACKBOOTED THUGS SENT BY THE GOVERNOR please ignore that they're also are troops), at worst you'll like, start a coup.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

ekuNNN posted:

didnt the cops take some mayor's daughter hostage a couple years back as a negotiation tactic?

nypd arrested bill de blasio's kid at a george floyd protest and tweeted out her arrest record while whining about how they weren't allowed to flatten the uppity underclass

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ekuNNN posted:

they threatened bill deblasios teen daughter with real consequences iirc

beaten

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

ekuNNN posted:

Bill DeBungler lol

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

BonHair posted:

ahh true, so the idea is if you quit working for the MTA they can arrest you for an illegal labor action, and now that you're a prisoner they can use you as slave labor without violating the 13th

genius!

found this gem on reddit:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

to make matters worse for NY public sector there was a Trump era SCOTUS ruling that basically destroyed membership #s, public sector unions were made open shop overnight as opposed to requiring all employees to be dues paying members as part of their contract. So on top of no strike fund, bleeding basic resources to staff and protect contracts between bargaining periods, plus the leadership are business union hacks who are spending their time and energy in this extremely dire moment backing the mayor's office on kicking all retirees into a forced Medicare Advantage plan. They're all a total joke in my eye, they have no power at all and it's making city work unbearable. Which is of course the goal, to open up more opportunities for austerity abd privatization of social services

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

World War Mammories posted:

nypd arrested bill de blasio's kid at a george floyd protest and tweeted out her arrest record while whining about how they weren't allowed to flatten the uppity underclass

Real hurthling! posted:

they threatened bill deblasios teen daughter with real consequences iirc

beaten

This led to that really surreal press conference where Bill was forced to watch a recording of a NYPD suv driving over a crowd of people in broad daylight and say poo poo like The investigation is ongoing. I cannot confirm that NYPD drove over people. Lol

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

In Training posted:

to make matters worse for NY public sector there was a Trump era SCOTUS ruling that basically destroyed membership #s, public sector unions were made open shop overnight as opposed to requiring all employees to be dues paying members as part of their contract. So on top of no strike fund, bleeding basic resources to staff and protect contracts between bargaining periods, plus the leadership are business union hacks who are spending their time and energy in this extremely dire moment backing the mayor's office on kicking all retirees into a forced Medicare Advantage plan. They're all a total joke in my eye, they have no power at all and it's making city work unbearable. Which is of course the goal, to open up more opportunities for austerity abd privatization of social services

Which sucks because I know a ton of people who love working for the city, including me, but it's not getting better for anybody.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

TontoCorazon posted:

Which sucks because I know a ton of people who love working for the city, including me, but it's not getting better for anybody.

capitalism.png: it's not getting better for anybody

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

we seem to have fought off changing that free retiree healthcare law for the time being. the bill died. theres always another crisis round the bend tho.

i got 16.5 years left until my earliest opportunity to get out. im gonna stick them out. i wouldnt in a million years get in fresh now tho.

lol to the city trying to staff up schools for forced class size reductions when you cant afford average nyc rent on the base new teacher pay until like your 5th year on the job when you hit the first big step up.

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 20:28 on Jan 30, 2023

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Where do they get these job growth figures from exactly? Didn't Texas pull this bait and switch before with the "Texas miracle" some years ago?
https://twitter.com/VanceGinn/status/1619533717223129089?t=9ChYls-4xcdkJ6sSiL8xHg&s=19

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

relative* job growth, op

it's meaningless, like all economic number

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Panfilo posted:

Where do they get these job growth figures from exactly? Didn't Texas pull this bait and switch before with the "Texas miracle" some years ago?
https://twitter.com/VanceGinn/status/1619533717223129089?t=9ChYls-4xcdkJ6sSiL8xHg&s=19

Economic growth also means nothing if not linked to median wealth. "Oh cool the governor and the companies he invested in made a killing in government contracts and private utilities, great!"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

That's the point of these dumbass metrics. They have to keep making new ones because the lifecycle ends inevitably in the Billy Q Shitbrain Institute of Economic Mobility Studies releasing a graph showing America pre-Civil War was the freest most freedom love freedom liberty it ever has been.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Failed Imagineer posted:

Also not true in practice, actual sterility testing will have limits of quantitation in terms of TOC or cfu/ml or something.

TOC is total organic carbon and CFUs are colony forming units, a measure of bioburden. What you want is Sterility Assurance Level (SAL) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterility_assurance_level

For context, we target SAL 10^-6 for our sterility validation for the biopharma packaging products I design.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

grah posted:

I work for the MTA in New York, the Taylor Law is extremely restrictive about any kind of labor action at all.

Right to assemble for redress of grievances :hmbol:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Salvor_Hardin posted:

TOC is total organic carbon and CFUs are colony forming units, a measure of bioburden. What you want is Sterility Assurance Level (SAL) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterility_assurance_level

For context, we target SAL 10^-6 for our sterility validation for the biopharma packaging products I design.

Oh cool, do you get to play with the cobalt-60 irradiators at all?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Shame Boy posted:

Oh cool, do you get to play with the cobalt-60 irradiators at all?

Nah, we send it all out to dedicated sterility providers. I just need to make sure all my poo poo is rated for gamma irradiation up to like 50 kGy.

Those places seem cool though. They just got some super radioactive cobalt isotope in a lead chest and they send product around in a cart on a track and lift the lid as it goes by or something.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Nah, we send it all out to dedicated sterility providers. I just need to make sure all my poo poo is rated for gamma irradiation up to like 50 kGy.

Those places seem cool though. They just got some super radioactive cobalt isotope in a lead chest and they send product around in a cart on a track and lift the lid as it goes by or something.

It's generally on a rack that sits down at the bottom of a really tall tank of water, and when it's time to blast something they winch the rack up out of the water in the middle of a concrete vault surrounded by whatever stuff you need to cook. That way the default state is for it to fall back into the water under gravity if something goes wrong. There's also pistons that push the cartons of stuff you're cooking around in a set sequence so that it gets evenly irradiated from every angle, and a conveyor belt that goes through a sorta S curve on each end so there's no direct line of sight for the beams to escape.

Oh and the cobalt is generally so radioactive that when it's sitting at the bottom of the water tank it's constantly glowing bright blue due to Cherenkov radiation too, so that's rad as gently caress. Really neat technology all around.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Unfortunately (though I guess more on topic for this thread) I mostly know about the specific details cuz I've read accident reports where the cobalt got stuck in the up position and the workers didn't know it was dangerous due to lack of training or oversight and went into the vault to try to smack it to un-jam it and, well, it did its job and thoroughly sterilized the life out of them.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

So all I'd need for sterile piss is a urethral suppository made of Cobalt-60, got it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

So all I'd need for sterile piss is a urethral suppository made of Cobalt-60, got it

That makes me wonder if like, getting a PET scan would be enough to sterilize your piss, or like the iodine treatment they give people with hyperthyroidism, cuz iirc they do give you a bunch of rules about who's allowed to use the same toilet as you over the next few days since the isotope concentrates in your urine

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Shame Boy posted:

Unfortunately (though I guess more on topic for this thread) I mostly know about the specific details cuz I've read accident reports where the cobalt got stuck in the up position and the workers didn't know it was dangerous due to lack of training or oversight and went into the vault to try to smack it to un-jam it and, well, it did its job and thoroughly sterilized the life out of them.

Goddamn, thats some OSHA thread poo poo for sure. I remember reading about some brazilian dudes who scavenged some radioactive isotopes from some imaging equipment in an abandoned hospital, brought it back to their favela, and killed like a dozen people.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Goddamn, thats some OSHA thread poo poo for sure. I remember reading about some brazilian dudes who scavenged some radioactive isotopes from some imaging equipment in an abandoned hospital, brought it back to their favela, and killed like a dozen people.

The one you're thinking of is probably the Goiânia accident, but that's actually happened more than once cuz sometimes hospitals just go out of business and don't bother to clean up the highly dangerous isotopes in the expensive anti-cancer machines, whoops!

e: Prolly should add a :nms: tag or something cuz boy that wiki article is a loving bummer :sigh:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

are cesium powered devices being phased out of medicine for linear accelerators with no radioactive material or are they still popular?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

are cesium powered devices being phased out of medicine for linear accelerators with no radioactive material or are they still popular?

The IAEA has specifically put out requests and rules to replace every system that uses an isotope like that with a linac or x-ray machine or electron gun wherever possible, now whether or not anyone's actually bothered to do that is another matter entirely...

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Shame Boy posted:

The one you're thinking of is probably the Goiânia accident, but that's actually happened more than once cuz sometimes hospitals just go out of business and don't bother to clean up the highly dangerous isotopes in the expensive anti-cancer machines, whoops!

e: Prolly should add a :nms: tag or something cuz boy that wiki article is a loving bummer :sigh:

There was an episode of House that had that too.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

christmas boots posted:

There was an episode of House that had that too.

Yeah that one was sad. Kid died and it was his dad's fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Fraser Institute is some kind of Canadian Right Wing think tank that only puts out chud bait crap iirc