Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Cards are calling up Walker this season for sure, right? I can’t wait for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Paracaidas posted:

Keith Law out with his Top 100. As usual, he has his own thoughts on prospect peccadillos and often diverges heavily from the prospect industrial complex's hivemind.

I liked his write up on Marcelo Mayer

quote:

Mayer had a tough full-season debut in 2022, as he missed a month with a sprained wrist in the first half and struggled to drive the ball for four or five weeks after he returned, and then fought through some back tightness in July that may also have hurt his power. (I saw him twice, once when he first tried to come back from the wrist sprain and wasn’t ready, and the other in the game when his back tightened up on him. Perhaps I should never try to see him again.) The good news is despite the injury troubles, he still showed an extremely advanced approach at the plate, even when he wasn’t at full strength, and finished strongly in Low A and after an early August promotion to High A, hitting .287/.435/.492 from July 1 through the end of the season. Mayer has a smooth left-handed swing that should get him to plus power when he fills out, with loft in his finish and evident hand strength already. I haven’t seen great bat speed from him, bearing in mind I am putting a rare Sicilian curse on him any time I’m in the ballpark, and he might be a high-OBP, 25+ homer guy who doesn’t hit for high averages if that’s the case. He’s a no-doubt shortstop with great actions and quick hands — at least, when I haven’t graced him with my presence and caused his vestigial organs to turn necrotic mid-play — and a plus arm. I know I haven’t seen his best, and I take responsibility for my actions. I still think he’s going to be a star.

Stay away from our shortstop of the future KLaw :argh:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1620115007269920770

RIP one of the most annoying fans in america.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Can’t believe the name change killed him, now who will bang a stupid drum incessantly for four hours

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hang on, lets wait for non-Bob confimation

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Can’t believe the name change killed him, now who will bang a stupid drum incessantly for four hours
It was objectively annoying but if you were in the stands in the late 90s/early 00s during the late innings that drum had some magic in it.

Or maybe I’m just getting hit with a wave of nostalgia.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

In random trade news the Marlins and Red Sox swapped Matt Barnes and Richard Bleier

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Kinda surprised that Alvarez has dropped from "Best prospect still rookie eligible with Adley Rutschman graduating to the majors" at the end of last year to "3rd-10th best prospect" now. He had a .383 OBP at AAA! As a 20 year old! He plays catcher and will probably stick there!

Also, drat, last year was great year for rookies in the AL. Rutschman was great and would have been a deserving winner in almost any other year even though he wasn't called up until late May. But Julio was even better! And but for those two, poor Steve Kwan would have been the best AL rookie by bWAR since Aaron Judge in 2017. Jeremy Peña won a gold glove at shortstop and put up nearly 5 bWAR, and only got two ROY votes because of how strong the top 3 were. The NL side was also good - you've got Michael Harris with more than 5 bWAR and three other senior circuit rookies with more than 3 WAR themselves - but not nearly as good as 2019 when you had Alonso, Tatis Jr., Soroka (RIP), and Victor Robles (also RIP).

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
As the Phillies sign Josh Harrison, Sam Coonrod get's DFA'd to make room. One of the comments to a news item about this goes "No, not maga sam".

Naturally, the rabbit hole finds:

https://twitter.com/flyonmikeypence/status/1286482975404695552

So gently caress him, I guess

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tons of baseball players I knew in HS and college were proto-MAGA as hell, dippin', KA-rushing, dog-murdering racists. So I'm more surprised when one of them turns out not to be a dickhead.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

zoux posted:

Tons of baseball players I knew in HS and college were proto-MAGA as hell, dippin', KA-rushing, dog-murdering racists. So I'm more surprised when one of them turns out not to be a dickhead.

Baseball really attracts a certain type.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah when the Cubs traded for Wesneski last year fans went to his twitter and found out he was some insane Qanon guy, and I didn't even blink. I just kind of expect MLB players to be chuds and am pleasantly surprised when they're not, the bar is so low.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kurt Suzuki sporting the MAGA hat at the WH in '19. Dude your are from Hawaii how did you become a right wing reactionary in Hawaii

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

zoux posted:

Kurt Suzuki sporting the MAGA hat at the WH in '19. Dude your are from Hawaii how did you become a right wing reactionary in Hawaii

by getting money

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mcmagic posted:

by getting money

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
Rosenthal reports Greinke is going back to the Royals.

They may only win 65 games but at least we'll get another year of Greinke Stories.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

live with fruit posted:

Baseball really attracts a certain type.

for a US player to make it to the majors they're generally white, from the south, and pretty well off, so yeah lots of MAGA

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Exodor posted:

Rosenthal reports Greinke is going back to the Royals.

They may only win 65 games but at least we'll get another year of Greinke Stories.

May he pitch forever

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Wisely maintaining my serenity by never learning anything about professional athlete’s opinions or personal lives.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

zoux posted:

mcmagic is right but also the military. it has an influence on your politics, regardless of whether you and your family were a part of it or not.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Jazz Chisholm is the MLB The Show 23 cover athlete

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
That owns, good pick.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Julio Cruz posted:

for a US player to make it to the majors they're generally white, from the south, and pretty well off, so yeah lots of MAGA

I may be a Phillies fan, but I can't help but love Spencer Strider for so many reasons, including him being a Bernie bro

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ihatepants posted:

As a Marlins fan I’m very surprised but he’s a big gamer and he’s played The Show before on their Twitch account

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
John Adams, the guy who drummed at Cleveland games, died: https://apnews.com/article/mlb-sports-texas-rangers-cleveland-6d9a15c1208feaf5bb2173d58e0db98c

He was a really big part of the vibe of games my entire life. I met him once at the 2019 ASG stuff. He was super nice and let me get a picture with him. I hope the team does something to recognize him.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ihatepants posted:

Picking a guy who hasn't even wracked up 5 career WAR yet and only played 60 games last year is an interesting one. He is fun at least though.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Sometimes there are subtle character tells, like when pieces are set out on a chess board by someone who only plays checkers.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sydin posted:

Picking a guy who hasn't even wracked up 5 career WAR yet and only played 60 games last year is an interesting one. He is fun at least though.

It's about the game he does play

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

Sometimes there are subtle character tells, like when pieces are set out on a chess board by someone who only plays checkers.

Don Nelson smokes an insane amount of weed

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Shiroc posted:

John Adams, the guy who drummed at Cleveland games, died: https://apnews.com/article/mlb-sports-texas-rangers-cleveland-6d9a15c1208feaf5bb2173d58e0db98c

He was a really big part of the vibe of games my entire life. I met him once at the 2019 ASG stuff. He was super nice and let me get a picture with him. I hope the team does something to recognize him.

this is more embarrassing than my pic with fireman ed.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Jazz is cool as hell and has a ton of personality, good pick.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
jazz chisolm is a fine pick for the cover but julio rodriguez should have been a no brainer

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is there a The Show Cover Curse.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Johnny Bravo posted:

jazz chisolm is a fine pick for the cover but julio rodriguez should have been a no brainer

Maybe he didn’t want to do it? There’s also east coast/west coast stuff going on where Miami needs marketing and eyeballs and Seattle doesn’t bring the same juice.

It’d have been cool to have Julio on it but I can’t get that mad about it.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Johnny Bravo posted:

Pretty much this yeah

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Gerblederp posted:

Wisely maintaining my serenity by never learning anything about professional athlete’s opinions or personal lives.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Is there a The Show Cover Curse.

If there was Ohtani broke it. Or I guess you could argue him being snubbed for the MVP was a curse.

In light of MLBs obvious bias and manipulation towards Judge it should be retroactively awarded to Ohtani and Altuve's 2017 MVP retroactively awarded to Judge.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
if anything altuve should be given more mvps

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Looking at their stat sheets, I have no idea why Altuve got it over Judge. Not wanting to give it to a rookie? All baseball writers are short?

The HR total gives it away but absent that you'd assume the top stat line was the MVP winner.

Oooh it's the BA isn't it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
shut the hell up zoux, you’re only making mcmagic more powerful!!!