Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Reik posted:

What is Maddening like play-wise? Will you be playing a similar style to Hard just with an efficient team and utilizing every system to your advantage, or is it like FE awakening Lunatic+ where if any enemy unit ever gets to initiate an attack you lose.

Enemies are powerful and require significant care to approach. No one can handle taking more than a single hit or two on enemy phase outside of a few specific cases(early game armor knights, evasion tanks on avoidance terrain, someone relatively bulky engaging with Ike). Bosses will generally vaporize anyone they actually get to attack in one go outside of these specific cases, as well.

There's not really anything on par with Lunatic+ gently caress you gotchas, but you have to respect the enemies a lot and not get ahead of yourself. Also, the fixed growths means characters are generally much more average; you can't luck into someone smashing every growth on every level to become a god unit that can solo maps, though the tradeoff is that no one will be completely boned, either.

It's one of my favorite lunatic difficulties in the series so far because it's fairly challenging but doesn't really dunk on you with cheap bullshit gotchas or force you to crutch on incredibly tedious poo poo like "give every single person a bow and curved shot" or "everyone ride the jeigan like the town bicycle for the first half dozen stages".

Kanos fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Personally, I've found that the game is bizarrely stingy with gold, only handing it out at unpredictable times during the story and giving you a few drips from training skirmishes if you do them, but never enough to let me forge as many weapons as I'd like to have for everybody.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf in a game with infinite use weapons expecting you to actually be meticulous with gold is a good idea

if you could forge everything for everybody the game would be too easy

otoh it makes investing in countries a giant scam

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, it probably makes sense in the sense of people replaying the game for the next decade, but the first time I played I really had no idea how to use my resources.

For my next hot take: nothing of value would be lost if they eliminated the post-battle walkabouts (also about half of the activities on the Somniel).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the unique dialog in the post-battle walkabouts is cool when it triggers

though the few times the npcs you save show up there to give you your actual rewards is a cruel trick

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The first level of donations probably pays for itself in additional forge materials, but not until the back half of the game when Paralogues start opening up.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

tbf forged weapons (especially knives) can get insanely powerful so it makes sense that you'd need to pick and choose which ones to forge
a lot of the balance also seems to be built around the idea that the Tower of Trials would serve as an extended postgame, and you'd continue building up your characters long after beating the story in order to take on the toughest trials.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
without a dog farm, you're far more limited by forging resources than by money

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

the unique dialog in the post-battle walkabouts is cool when it triggers

though the few times the npcs you save show up there to give you your actual rewards is a cruel trick

wait what

if you talk to like, the queen of solm, does she give you a random statbooster that you won't get if you just leave

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 30, 2023

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Country investing and skill SP costs do seem pretty overtuned. You don't even get that much from gold skirmishes, and I need what I get for buying more staves! On the SP side, asking for 30+ levels of SP for some skills, no matter what the skill is, is a big ask. I can only assume there are Gold and EXP cheat DLCs coming.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The first investment is very important because it doubles post battle forging materials

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

cheetah7071 posted:

wait what

if you talk to like, the queen of solm, do she give you a random statbooster that you won't get if you just leave

Actually it's like two missions before that. You see a bunch of npcs on the field holding some stuff. If they survive, you can talk to them after and they'll give it to you.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

i started a maddening save

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Supremezero posted:

Actually it's like two missions before that. You see a bunch of npcs on the field holding some stuff. If they survive, you can talk to them after and they'll give it to you.

Oh

Well, dang

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So for Maddening, is it worth donating to countries or should I put that money towards Forges?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

TBF those NPCs appear on the map and show the rewards but yeah, kinda mean you don't autocollect them like bond.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

wait what

if you talk to like, the queen of solm, do she give you a random statbooster that you won't get if you just leave
no i mean like, actual npcs that saving is an objective, like the ones in fogato's map

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My personal experience is that, you have plenty of money to invest level one everywhere and do as many forges as you have materials, with enough left over for staves and master seals. The main thing is to just buy what you actually need, when you need it, instead of preemptively buying a bunch of staves or second seals or whatever. That should get you to Solm, when the economy opens up a bit.

There's no actual need to instantly invest in Elusya either because during your first visit, you can't invest until after you've left. Just invest some time before you go back.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

jimmydalad posted:

So for Maddening, is it worth donating to countries or should I put that money towards Forges?

Donate for the first additional level for each country because it boosts your forge material income on missions in those areas(maybe holding off on elusia because you don't really do a lot there until later) and then forget the system exists.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Country investing and skill SP costs do seem pretty overtuned. You don't even get that much from gold skirmishes, and I need what I get for buying more staves! On the SP side, asking for 30+ levels of SP for some skills, no matter what the skill is, is a big ask. I can only assume there are Gold and EXP cheat DLCs coming.

SP costs are the biggest thing that to me seem to clearly be balanced around the idea of post-game trial grinding, there are three SP Book items that give 100, 500, or 1000 SP to a character of your choosing. You get a set of them for beating the game but the only way to get more is to do the tower of trials.

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 30, 2023

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Captain Flame Guy posted:

Clearly Chloé was the MVP though.

Captain Flame Guy fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 30, 2023

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
What are people spending all their money on? Staves, yes, those run out, but there are only so many weapons and it feels silly to give everyone every kind of weapon they can use. I give most characters two or three options and let it ride.

It's still early going, but... It doesn't seem super likely that I will run out anytime soon.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Captain Flame Guy posted:

The really funny thing is that these are fairly mediocre stats for an internal level of 20.

Man, they were really scared of making monks too good.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Veryslightlymad posted:

What are people spending all their money on? Staves, yes, those run out, but there are only so many weapons and it feels silly to give everyone every kind of weapon they can use. I give most characters two or three options and let it ride.

It's still early going, but... It doesn't seem super likely that I will run out anytime soon.

Master seals are kinda expensive?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

What I'm curious about will end up being the inevitable best breakpoints for forging and to focus on. +3 for steel and iron feels really cost efficient and generally good, while +5 steel should NEVER be done under any circumstances. For silver +1 is very good, but beyond that I'm never sure what I should invest in. Tomes, like daggers seem to forge differently too, not as efficient as daggers but can't just generalize either. I'm not sure if forging on tomes that can double is that worthwhile since a double is overkill, but for thoron tomes it absolutely is whether you're abusing Olwen or not. And then the age old debate of killing weapons vs normal. Killing probably is best overall, as even +5 isn't the worst investment, but I hate having to rely on the crit, and not every unit can naturally kill on a double with killing without a crit.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Spermando posted:

Late game boss spoiler. In the mission with the avalanches, how the hell are you supposed to survive the boss' opening attack? It does 8x9 damage

edit: wait wrong boss

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Kanos posted:

Donate for the first additional level for each country because it boosts your forge material income on missions in those areas(maybe holding off on elusia because you don't really do a lot there until later) and then forget the system exists.

As in upgrade them to level 2 or level 3?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

jimmydalad posted:

As in upgrade them to level 2 or level 3?

Level 2.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Any good early forge memes for maddening? I was thinking of giving Louis a silver greatlance asap so he can just delete an enemy on demand.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

Any good early forge memes for maddening? I was thinking of giving Louis a silver greatlance asap so he can just delete an enemy on demand.

I’ve heard good things above forging knives for Yunaka and forging fists for Framme.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Solm does give a Brave Axe for donation level 3, idk if that + the foraging bonuses are worth 10K tho

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Veryslightlymad posted:

Staves are expensive, you buy more expe nsive weapons like brave, levin, silver, and master seals

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
A lot of the specialty weapons only require silver ingots to forge which make them a lot cheaper than forging up a silver weapon for some reason.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

OddObserver posted:

Master seals are kinda expensive?

Yeah, I could see this getting big. Plus second seals, if you want to change someone right away. Or more than once, or whatever. No idea how many the game is going to give me naturally, so I will have to buy more than most people and might regret my cavalier words from earlier.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Trying to do Lyn's paralogue at the time it shows up, does anyone know if her activation trigger (and associated shenanigans) is turns or proximity-based? The explosion that happens then is something I need to plan around, even just a couple going off gets painful quickly.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bruceski posted:

Trying to do Lyn's paralogue at the time it shows up, does anyone know if her activation trigger (and associated shenanigans) is time or proximity-based? The explosion that happens then is something I need to plan around, even just a couple going off gets painful quickly.

She starts moving on a timer; the reinforcements spawn the first time she uses astral storm

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I apperantly finished that one too fast because I never got reinforcements.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Kanos posted:

The really funny thing is that these are fairly mediocre stats for an internal level of 20.

Man, they were really scared of making monks too good.

Yeah it's kind of strange. They also managed to pretty much cap out how much exp you can get in a single fight except for healing (which starts getting too expensive around level 14 or so, I did this with Jean in my hard mode run), and abusing chain guard. When grinding this out I was basically getting 5 exp every single time, except for level 19 where it suddenly dropped to 1 exp a turn, with each turn taking about 3 seconds. Worth doing? Probably not, but I got curious.

I'm not sure if I wanna run Jean or Anna this time around, but if I'm running Jean I was thinking of trying to make him a thief this time since they have some real good class growths all-round.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

She starts moving on a timer; the reinforcements spawn the first time she uses astral storm

Thanks, that's the info I needed to be sure of when figuring out how to crack this.

The proper answer would probably be "come back later when you have more tools to flex with" but after doing everything else first try so far (on hard/casual, not high-stakes) it's a personal challenge now. I just walked in first time unprepared for how nasty it would become, the combination of bows and spells seems custom-picked to make life difficult for relying on tanking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Hellioning posted:

I apperantly finished that one too fast because I never got reinforcements.

Yeah, the map's gimmick is that any tent whose leader is still there when she gets serious spits out four strong units, then everybody swarms you. My last time going after it the two by her did that and I ran out of rewinds trying to fix it.

Speed is definitely the answer.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 30, 2023