Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

juggalo baby coffin posted:

what's a good ship setup for getting past sector 14? Right now my ship is 2 beam lasers, 1 gatling laser, and 2 continuous shields. it was a pain in the rear end to get this far but I finally got the first base

I've actually been running 1 bulk generator and 1 continuous generator for shields. I like the continuous generator's regeneration a lot, but its lower total amount means that in waves where you get enemies firing slow-but-powerful shots, you won't have enough shields to survive more than a volley or two before needing to retreat, and since those waves have a tendency to include beefy enemies like the juggernaut, you can't clear them all out fast enough to regenerate your shields before hitting the retreat threshold. The bulk gennies at least stand up to more shots, though you have to pick the options to reduce the regen delay if you're actively progressing forward.

IIRC what I was running for weapons in that region was 2 beams, 1 charge; the beams attack speedily enough to replace the gatling laser's gimmick, while the charge laser got me past the aforementioned big beefy bois. But also IIRC I spent a lot of time in that same area grinding out synth recipes and the new thing you just unlocked (which takes simply ages to really start to pay off but once it does it pays off handsomely). This was like a week and a half ago for me, though, so if someone who's been there more recently chimes in with better advice, listen to them instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
In USI, I am currently running Bulk Shields with auto-shieldboost. The shieldboost recharges even the bulk shields on maximum bulk mode.
For offence I am also on the laser synergy build.

Though I would be interested in knowing what sort of build can make it through 17A or 17C, I only managed the B branch.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

VictualSquid posted:

In USI, I am currently running Bulk Shields with auto-shieldboost. The shieldboost recharges even the bulk shields on maximum bulk mode.
For offence I am also on the laser synergy build.

Though I would be interested in knowing what sort of build can make it through 17A or 17C, I only managed the B branch.

Dual beam + basic laser support does 17a and 17c just fine. You just need to have enough damage and make sure your beams have 'don't allow focus fire' so you're always hitting two different enemies with beams, they're not as effective if they double up on a ship.

For 17a I also set the targeting priority to 'closest' which helped enable larger gaps between waves so that my bulk shields could recharge.

You might just need to build up more base resources or compute more, or synth more levels of modules.

I'm almost ready to beat sector 20 and unlock the kinetic cannon at 4 days played.

E: I also just use dual bulk shields at all times and just rely on killing the waves quickly enough (and picking a few shield regen options) so that I can get the 3 second break in damage to fully recharge.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 29, 2023

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Beating sector 21 unlocks the Warp mechanic and holy poo poo does it ever have an enormous upgrade tree :eyepop:

I mean I know that research has an "uncap this" at e22 so I'm sure there's a lot more hiding there as well but goddamn it's huge

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

USI - Is there any mechanic that cares if I have maxed out every shard? There's a couple where I blew through the zones and didn't max them before finding their next tier.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

big cummers ONLY posted:

USI - Is there any mechanic that cares if I have maxed out every shard? There's a couple where I blew through the zones and didn't max them before finding their next tier.

There's achievements for maxing out x/y/z shards

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

big cummers ONLY posted:

There's achievements for the number of different shards you've maxed. They increase your general shard drop rate.

e:f;b

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Ah okay I'll keep them around then. Also I was very tired when I unlocked (sector like, 13?) bases and did not understand that simply producing the 2nd resource will inherently increase your stats on prestiging, I thought I'd just have to keep making tons of cubes until I could reach production capacity to make enough components to buy the buffs on the right. Could have been farming those all day, haha

I did go back and get the first couple basic ship achievements

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

big cummers ONLY posted:

Ah okay I'll keep them around then.

You don't need to keep them all around, though.

Any time you get the next level of a given shard type, you can freely discard the previous one (if it's maxxed). The old is never better than the new.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I wish there was an indicator on a shard that tells you if you've maxed it before

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Beasteh posted:

I wish there was an indicator on a shard that tells you if you've maxed it before

Auto-discard throws away previously maxed shards and there's no reason to keep lower tier shards when you get their higher tier. You can also go into sector data and click on the enemies of each sector to see their drops.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 30, 2023

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Do people here play USI in browser, or downloaded? I'm trying to decide if I should download the standalone, for some reason in browser it spins up my laptop's fans something fierce.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

KazigluBey posted:

Do people here play USI in browser, or downloaded? I'm trying to decide if I should download the standalone, for some reason in browser it spins up my laptop's fans something fierce.

I switched to downloaded because the browser was a slide show for me

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
oh god all the tier 2 weapons unlock at the same time, I have no idea what's going to be optimal (thinking 2 beam, 1 kinetic for armored enemies?)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

KazigluBey posted:

Does the standalone one stay updated? I was sticking with the browser just because I figured this was the only way it would stay up to date but if it can in the standalone I'll definitely have to go with that.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Still stuck on Sector 18. The swarms of dual-laser fighters are punishing and the boss just chunks in 3 hits.

e: currently running 2x beam, 1x normal laser, mixed shields. Equipment levels in the mid 130s, compute giving x890, T2 7/10 synth, base boost of x74.

I just just unlock higher reactor levels which may help.

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 30, 2023

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

How useful are the tier 2 lasers anyways? Since I'm still in armored enemy land I was kinda thinking of getting retrofitting first, because it'd let me use Computer Lab for a bit, build up a ton of Compute levels, then switch to Synth Station.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

In USI, is there any point to doing shorter runs earlier on (I don't even have the second shield type yet, to put things into perspective) or should I just let it do a long run and focus on maxing out the basic synths and lower research tiers?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Randalor posted:

In USI, is there any point to doing shorter runs earlier on (I don't even have the second shield type yet, to put things into perspective) or should I just let it do a long run and focus on maxing out the basic synths and lower research tiers?

I think in the beginning you want to reset every time you unlock a new refit.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

The only real reasons to prestige in USI is when you want to change your ship loadout, or you need to cash in your base gains. If you're doing neither of those, you have no reason to reset.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Does anything massively speed up warp point accumulation? I see the vertical path that addresses that growth, but the gains are meager compared to the cost increase (unless I'm missing something).

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cobalt60 posted:

Does anything massively speed up warp point accumulation? I see the vertical path that addresses that growth, but the gains are meager compared to the cost increase (unless I'm missing something).
It seems to speed itself up a bit - going into the warp increases the "warp multiplier", I've only done two but my multiplier is at 1.1025x so it looks like 1.05^x is the formula and that'll eventually overwhelm the large linear increases in upgrade costs?

but that's my best guess.

e: also to the other person who asked, tier two lasers seem worse than tier one kinetics to me atm, but I'm sure eventually they'll be better

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, the info page on Warp gives you the formula, and it does increase exponentially, so I think it'll go faster than you'd expect. The warp upgrade tree itself also has a path for upgrading warp, so I'm sure it won't be too bad. I've only done 4 warps though, so I'm no expert.

Also, regarding my last post, I crunched the numbers and decided to just get the retrofit first. I'm gonna be able to afford both of them in 12 hours anyway, so I figure "get retrofit, retrofit to Computer Lab, use that to get Heavy Cruiser, reset" is gonna work out slightly better than "get T2, Reset, push through to Heavy Cruiser, reset (or retrofit)".

Arzaac fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 30, 2023

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Oh yeah it's even better it's not a constant:
[warp essence unique completions coefficient] ^ [unique difficulty completions]
(apparently unique difficulty completions is not "levels completed", because a max difficulty of 24 on alpha and beta gives a UDC of 8? but whatever)

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I think that math checks out, right? If I'm not mistaken max difficulty starts at 22 and increases by .5 each time, so if you have max difficulty on alpha and beta it means you've completed 22, 22.5, 23, and 23.5 on 2 different warps, which is 8 completions.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Yes, good, thanks. I just watched it bump up a bit after closing a completed warp.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
yeah Warp starts off slooooowwwww but you start racking up points in fairly short order; the limiter is honestly the speed at which your coils fill, but it looks like there are ways to bump that up as well. Once you open up a few more warp locations warps get very lucrative very quickly in my experience

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Where are the options for the weapons to not fire on something that's almost dead or whatever? Is that opened later at a higher level possibly? I am not very far in yet but I cant find it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

What's the best choice for one of the 450 AI upgrades? I was thinking about saving up for the auto merging because that is probably the most annoying one and it sounds nice having that part automated.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

My first two AI upgrades were the auto-research and auto-merge because then I just straight up never have to babysit my computer.

After that I think it's best to go for the "synth slots automatically create prereqs" just because that's such a major hassle.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Arzaac posted:

My first two AI upgrades were the auto-research and auto-merge because then I just straight up never have to babysit my computer.

After that I think it's best to go for the "synth slots automatically create prereqs" just because that's such a major hassle.

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking too. I'll go with the merge first because research isn't fast enough to be too much of a hassle yet.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Beasteh posted:

Go into the sector data screen and click on an enemy to see what it drops, and it will tell you if you've maxed a drop there. I thought there was another way to tell but it's not appearing the way I thought it did.

e: Have auto-discard turned on and this becomes almost hassle-free all the same; if you're picking up a shard, you haven't maxed it yet, and you'll always pick it up until you do. If you're not picking up any shards in a sector, you've maxed everything that's getting dropped.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 30, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I don't understand at all how to balance the reactor. It's converting Void Matter so I want to be able to adjust the slider and watch the void matter count to know if I'm dipping below the amount I'm gaining but it feels like quite often it'll be balanced with full power and out of nowhere it completely drops off a cliff and it instantly runs out because I have boosts on. Is this because of lulls in combat?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Trastion posted:

Where are the options for the weapons to not fire on something that's almost dead or whatever? Is that opened later at a higher level possibly? I am not very far in yet but I cant find it.

Set laser or gatling laser to shoot "lowest hp." Set other weapons not to overlap targets.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Keep in mind that when you pick up the void buff (the weird glowy rift that appears occasionally) it also doubles your energy output. So when you're making your reactor build, make absolutely 100% sure you don't have that buff up or else your reactor is gonna tank when it runs out.

Trastion posted:

One your Cores screen there should be a button for each weapon to adjust target priorities: in there you should be able to ensure your hard-hitting weapons only go after the highest HP targets, or whatever else you want.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Arzaac posted:

Keep in mind that when you pick up the void buff (the weird glowy rift that appears occasionally) it also doubles your energy output. So when you're making your reactor build, make absolutely 100% sure you don't have that buff up or else your reactor is gonna tank when it runs out.

Yeah that is definitely happening sometimes too, lol.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Arzaac posted:

I think that math checks out, right? If I'm not mistaken max difficulty starts at 22 and increases by .5 each time, so if you have max difficulty on alpha and beta it means you've completed 22, 22.5, 23, and 23.5 on 2 different warps, which is 8 completions.
oh yes, I forgot it started at 22, that makes sense.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Is the synth mod the only thing that boosts max void energy in the reactor? I'm trying to max that out for a bit so i can snag a bunch of upgrades but I don't see any other lever to pull.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Is the synth mod the only thing that boosts max void energy in the reactor? I'm trying to max that out for a bit so i can snag a bunch of upgrades but I don't see any other lever to pull.

There is also a shard. And research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

VictualSquid posted:

There is also a shard. And research.

Ah I see the shard, thanks. Had it equipped already.