Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Like a $5-8k 100 mile EV sounds reasonable. But anything over that cost for that range is laughable.

There's more to cars than a big battery. It isn't laughable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Duck and Cover posted:

It isn't laughable.

:hmmno:

Now that’s comedy.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
$26k after tax credit? There should be more of these, i't s a perfectly fine car for someone that lives somewhat centrally in a large city, especially as a second car.

I drove my i3 for 4 years with zero issues, the one time when I even cut it close range wise was when we drove it over 40 miles on way in freezing weather on the highway because my in-laws wanted to see it and even then, made it to a DC charger with plenty of range to spare, and that is only because I didn't want to go slightly out of my way to charge basically half-way instead of 3/4 of the way.

Batteries are too big on too many EVs, 100 miles is completely reasonable for most users.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Kirios posted:

Okay look, I'm one of the first people to say range is highly overrated (My 40 kWh Leaf has had zero issues with it, and it reliably gets 150-160 miles), but the MX-30 is criminal. A 100 mile EV, in 2023?! What bullshit is this?!

I even kind of like the look of it, but they aren't even trying. If it were half the price and trying to be that affordable 17-20k EV sure, the market could certainly use that, but for 35,000 dollars?!

lol.

Mazda fanboy and apologist warning…

They made 500 of them and sold them only in California afaik, which was exactly enough to satisfy a regulatory requirement. Mazda is a small car company with not a ton of resources (comparatively). They are sticking a rotary range extender in it, but the range is only projected to be like 160 ish? They are just now about to release their first PHEV in the US, so I’d more compare them to Subaru (who has nothing EV without Toyota’s homework).

I speculate wildly that they will partner with Toyota for their tech in the latter half of the decade, I mean look they just released a new inline 6 ICE engine.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 31, 2023

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Three Olives posted:

$26k after tax credit? There should be more of these, i't s a perfectly fine car for someone that lives somewhat centrally in a large city, especially as a second car.

I drove my i3 for 4 years with zero issues, the one time when I even cut it close range wise was when we drove it over 40 miles on way in freezing weather on the highway because my in-laws wanted to see it and even then, made it to a DC charger with plenty of range to spare, and that is only because I didn't want to go slightly out of my way to charge basically half-way instead of 3/4 of the way.

Batteries are too big on too many EVs, 100 miles is completely reasonable for most users.

I’m pretty sure it qualifies for $0 tax credit. Also the bolt ev is $26k before tax credits and has 260 miles of range.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Loucks posted:

:hmmno:

Now that’s comedy.

Also just how a smaller battery is going to be cycling deeper and faster in the same conditions which will make it wear out much sooner than a larger battery.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

AI is funny because depending on the question you ask everyone will say 99% of people don’t need range or utility and you should rent a vehicle for those use cases and you’re dumb for wanting those things but in another context it’s completely unacceptable

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Indiana_Krom posted:

Also just how a smaller battery is going to be cycling deeper and faster in the same conditions which will make it wear out much sooner than a larger battery.

If you assume NMC cells and give it a conservative 2000 cycles before it degrades to “EOL” (still usable just loss of capacity) that’s still nearly 200,000 miles in a car designed to only go 100 miles per charge.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The MX-30s issues are that it isn't very efficient (especially in the cold) and can't charge very quickly. The original 28kWh Ioniq is a much better example of a small battery, cheapish EV

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

It's the exact same thing as all the compliance cars from the last decade.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Like a $5-8k 100 mile EV sounds reasonable. But anything over that cost for that range is laughable.

Like, a bicycle?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The MX-30 is a pure compliance car that you should just ignore because you can't buy one anyway.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Infinotize posted:

AI is funny because depending on the question you ask everyone will say 99% of people don’t need range or utility and you should rent a vehicle for those use cases and you’re dumb for wanting those things but in another context it’s completely unacceptable

Or maybe it's different people giving the different responses and not some hive-mind.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

E: it's not a hive mind, it's a collection of the worst possible EV opinions in the world.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 31, 2023

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Elviscat posted:

E: it's not a hive mind, it's a collection of the worst possible EV opinions in the world.

I liked the pre-edit post, but this is still a good thread title.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Russian Bear posted:

They made 500 of them and sold them only in California afaik, which was exactly enough to satisfy a regulatory requirement.

https://www.mazda.it/modelli/mazda-mx-30/

It's sold globally, costing as much as conventional 400km range car from say stellantis.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

EVS ARE DUMB TOYS FOR SOY CUCKS UNTIL THEY HAVE 500 RANGE, GO 0-60 IN 3.5 SECONDS, CAN PULL 3 ELEPHANTS , IN THE WINTER AND GIVE ME A BLOWJOB. I think smaller efficient evs are a good thing and people should be more open to buying them.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Yes there is definitely a market for small battery, efficient EVs and I don't think they necessarily have to be 'compliance cars'.

The MX-30 isn't a good deal by any metric though - it's not particularly efficient, nor is it any cheaper than more capable cars. I suspect that that vast majority of them sold worldwide will be the mild hybrid version anyway.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Hybrids are cool and good and the outgoing Toyota CEO is totally right that we’re moving straight to EVs only because GM and Ford lobbied the poo poo out of the US for it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I think the most important metric is that the MX-30 is ugly as gently caress.

They must have been selling them in my area for a while because I’ve seen quite a few around. In some godawful colours like beef-poo poo brown.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Hybrids are cool and good

Even if you believe that the Mazda mild hybrid system is still a let down - less than 3% improvement over the non-hybrid version

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Never having to change your oil is cool and good

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Are y'all not realizing the MX-30 is 35k or something? Yes a smaller cheaper EV would be fantastic to have. There's nothing even in the sub 25k range, let alone sub 20k. You could easily justify 100 mile range in those brackets.

This thing is a travesty, and no it's not just a compliance thing. They are selling it at least around the US now. My local Mazda dealer has two of the 2023s (with a 5k markup. I guess they're hoping there's at least two Russian Bears around here to buy them?) right now.

Even the 0-60 is a freaking joke.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

dissss posted:

The MX-30 isn't a good deal by any metric though - it's not particularly efficient, nor is it any cheaper than more capable cars. I suspect that that vast majority of them sold worldwide will be the mild hybrid version anyway.

I know I might sound biased but the MX30 is bigger and costs more than my Jeep Avenger while having less range and boot space. I could understand smaller range on tiny cars like the Honda e or a Fiat 500 but it's hulking huge so there is plenty of room for batteries.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Vegetable posted:

Hybrids are cool and good and the outgoing Toyota CEO is totally right that we’re moving straight to EVs only because GM and Ford lobbied the poo poo out of the US for it.

Straight into EVs as opposed to what?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Elviscat posted:

Straight into EVs as opposed to what?

If it's Toyota, they want to push Hydrogen shite regardless of refueling sites.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That's why I'm wondering, H2 will never, and was never going to, overcome its storage and efficiency issues, PHEVs are cool, but are about mid-way between ICE and BEV in terms of CO2 emissions, and every one who has one just wants a full BEV. The best solutions, urban densification and expanded mass transit, well you might as well ask the genie to fix the climate problem directly, and I doubt the CEO of Toyota was arguing for less cars.

So that leaves shilling hydrogen, because Toyota can't admit they lost their commanding lead in low emissions vehicles to everyone else because they insisted on investing in a technology that was dead the second the lithium ion battery was created, and will never be seen outside a few pilot projects in the US.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Vegetable posted:

either that or because they're objectively better in every single way and heavily incentivized by public policy that the public lobbies for

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Electric cars are a net negative on the environment in the developing world. Hybrids make far more sense there.

Even in the developed world hybrids would be a massive improvement over ICE cars and it’s pretty wild to be cutting them out of any climate mitigation strategy. The science pans out — a hybrid+EV world is only slightly worse for the environment than an EV-only worked, and it has massive upsides in affordability.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The 2024 Hyundai Ioniq 6 gets an official EPA range of 361 miles
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/01/the-2024-hyundai-ioniq-6-gets-an-official-epa-range-of-361-miles/

Is Dr. Gitlin still around? I hope he can spill the beans and not make us wait until April for the embargo. That seems ridiculous.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 31, 2023

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

mobby_6kl posted:

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/01/the-2024-hyundai-ioniq-6-gets-an-official-epa-range-of-361-miles/

Is Dr. Gitlin still around? I hope he can spill the beans and not make us wait until April for the embargo. That seems ridiculous.

Even without a tax credit that thing seems like a pro buy for us sedan-preferrers.

But it's Hyundai so I'd imagine they'll be on sale in my state sometime around... 2027.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Front end looks like a 2004 Tiburon.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Vegetable posted:

cars are a net negative on the environment

:hmmyes:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

That's an astoundingly efficient car, and at a motortrend estimated price of $55K for the long range version, they're not even really taking a bath on the batteries. Heck of an improvement to the Ioniq 5 with the same battery capacity. Hyundai has clearly figured out this EV thing.

pre:
Model			EPA Range	MSRP	$/mile range	kWh	$/kWh	wh/mi
Lucid Motors Air	516		$154,000.00	$298	118	$1,305	229
Mercedes-Benz EQS	427		$102,310.00	$240	107.8	$949	252
Tesla Model S		375		$104,990.00	$280	100	$1,050	267
Ioniq 6  (Est)		361		$55,000.00	$152	77.4	$711	214
Mercedes-Benz EQS SUV	333		$105,400.00	$317	107.8	$978	324
Tesla Model X		332		$120,990.00	$364	100	$1,210	301
BMW iX xDrive50		324		$84,100.00	$260	105	$801	324
GMC Hummer EV		320		$110,295.00	$345	205	$538	641
Ford F-150 Lightning	320		$70,000.00	$219	98	$714	306
Tesla Model Y		318		$65,990.00	$208	75	$880	236
Rivian R1T		314		$73,000.00	$232	135	$541	430
Cadillac LYRIQ		312		$62,990.00	$202	100.4	$627	322
Kia EV6			310		$41,400.00	$134	77.4	$535	250
Hyundai IONIQ 5		303		$39,950.00	$132	77.4	$516	255
BMW i4 eDrive40		301		$55,900.00	$186	83.9	$666	279
Ford Mustang Mach-E	300		$43,895.00	$146	70	$627	233

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

Every Ioniq6 youtube review did show very weird range data with Hyundai being very coy about it in the press packages.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

bird with big dick posted:

Front end looks like a 2004 Tiburon.

It’s not attractive

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The Ionic 6 is the best looking EV outside of the Audi Etron GT imo. I really like everything about it. It's also refreshing to see a new Sedan take a chance on interesting design.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Yeah, to each their own, but I think the Ioniq 6 looks fantastic.

Edit: I just looked at the photo in the linked article, and in white the front does look a little doofy. I think it looks more sleek/modern in darker colors, and the rear looks great regardless.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

e: You know what, actually, this maybe isn't appropriate. Nevermind.

cruft fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I’d definitely buy a 100mile range car if it was reasonably crash safe and under 10k. I’d charge it at work for free! Then I’d get crushed like a bug by someone on Route 18 eager to get to a mall.