Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What's a good class for Jean since martial monk blows? Is High Priest good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Syrnn posted:

Any reason no one seems to mention Zelkov in their run downs? My Yunaka hasn't turned out worth much of a drat and I'm pretty impressed with Not *Quite* as a skill, at least on paper, though Yunaka's Trained to Kill seems better. What exactly is going on with this character though, are they just always counting as being in a shadowy corner even when standing in open sun? Randomly enunciating words like a comic book character is very in theme for this game so far. Anyway, he's got like 7 Str up on her, as well as better dex and speed. Should I bench Yunaka for Zelkov?

Personally I prefer Yunaka's personal skill because she gets plenty of avoid as-is, and getting bonus crit whenever she's on avoid terrain is pretty amazing. But the fact is both of them are great, so use whichever you prefer. If Zelkov showed up meaningfully stronger than Yunaka and you're not especially attached to her, start using him instead.

My main tip with Thieves is that forging knives is extremely powerful--they gain lots of extra damage and get lighter as you forge them. You can make up for a lack of strength with just an extremely strong dagger, for either Yunaka or Zelkov (or anyone else who uses knives).

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Martial Monk isn't great but its promotion (Martial Master) is pretty good, or at least my Martial Master Framme absolutely kicks rear end. High Priest is more magically-oriented so go that way if your Jean is turning out to have much higher Magic than Strength I think.

That said I think the reason say Martial Monk is bad for Jean isn't because it's a bad class, but because its growths aren't anything special, and Jean's personal skill doubles class growths so he can get a lot out of a class with good growths.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

His gimmick is doubling down on class growths so he excels in classes with specialized growths. Making him a Berserker gives him a 90% Str growth for instance.

Personally the two most interesting paths for him I think are turning him into a Thief where he gets better overall growths than any of the other knife-users or making him a Str/HP monster in Berserker and Warrior. Or double down on being a really good Armor though his initial defenses are low for it.

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 31, 2023

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Man I really hosed up my Panette's build and I really wish they'd let you refund SP or something. Why did I splurge on Dual Assist+ on her? What was I thinking? If I hadn't done that I could've afforded both Vantage+ and Pair Up on her and made her an incredible Wrath/Vantage tank :negative:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Harrow posted:

Martial Monk isn't great but its promotion (Martial Master) is pretty good, or at least my Martial Master Framme absolutely kicks rear end. High Priest is more magically-oriented so go that way if your Jean is turning out to have much higher Magic than Strength I think.

That said I think the reason say Martial Monk is bad for Jean isn't because it's a bad class, but because its growths aren't anything special, and Jean's personal skill doubles class growths so he can get a lot out of a class with good growths.

I'm at level 10 and my Jean has a couple more points in magic than strength so High Priest checks out

Is General or GK a better class for Louis, or in general really

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Harrow posted:

Man I really hosed up my Panette's build and I really wish they'd let you refund SP or something. Why did I splurge on Dual Assist+ on her? What was I thinking? If I hadn't done that I could've afforded both Vantage+ and Pair Up on her and made her an incredible Wrath/Vantage tank :negative:

it's fine, dual assist plus is broken

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I'm at level 10 and my Jean has a couple more points in magic than strength so High Priest checks out

Is General or GK a better class for Louis, or in general really

General doesn't care about the weapon triangle and Great Knight has good movement. Both are very good imo, so user preference really.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Picked this up, made it through the tutorial.

Training myself that Engages are there to be used, not a last resort, is going to take some mental rewiring.

Although managing to feed Lumere to Framme in the tutorial since I'd already gotten Alear to level 2 was entertaining - Alear's counter left her on just 2 HP.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Augus posted:

it's fine, dual assist plus is broken

It is but it seems like it'd shine a lot more on a Hero than a Warrior

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

Yeah I wish there was more room to experiment. I don’t think I’ll try getting Canter on like 10 people next playthrough, for one.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Tired Moritz posted:

actually, he's just a funny weirdo like everyone else

I started using him because he is very funny in supports.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I can't decide if Fogado is Too Much or Just Too Much Enough

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

So this really depends on how much of a support unit you want to be versus how much of a killer you want him to be. Martial Master might have kind of eh stats, but it has access to chain guard, which no one else does except Seadall. Whether this matters to you is a different story.

If you're okay giving up Chain Guard but still want him to be support focused, I honestly feel his best class is Griffin Knight. The class has a very good spread of stat growths across the whole spectrum for him to double(except hp/defense) and gives him fantastic mobility.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Whoever designed Leif's paralogue map was having a very very bad day, and I hope they continue having bad days in the future

"I won't run or hide! Now fight me!"

*hides behind like 50 dudes and 6 ballistae*

I honestly don't know what the intended strategy is here. Get a tank and a healbot and just inch my way across while infinite reinforcements spawn in?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

CharlestonJew posted:

Whoever designed Leif's paralogue map was having a very very bad day, and I hope they continue having bad days in the future

I honestly don't know what the intended strategy is here. Get a tank and a healbot and just inch my way across while infinite reinforcements spawn in?

They aren't infinite because that strategy is what worked for me. Ike and Lyn to eat ballista shots, kill reinforcements when they are down to power them back on, move to the next block. Just a slog through the map.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CharlestonJew posted:

use your warp staves, just like kaga intended

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Leif's paralogue was the only one that actively annoyed me, so as a callback to Thracia it is a resounding success

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I didn't find Leif's paralogue that bad, since they have some weird blind spots where if you can Sigurd a unit close enough to melee, no one will actually defend the balista person and the archer itself won't move from their spot.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the enemy having stupid bullshit that demands stupid bullshit from you in response is extremely on-brand for thracia. I love it. It's my favorite kind of map

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I figured out Leif's paralogue

I used Chloe with Sigurd to rush across the map and kill the ballista guy near Leif, then her and Ivy with Elthunder slowly whittled away the mages and healing each other until it was just Leif left on that side of the map. Meanwhile the rest of my units turtled up and killed anything that came nearby. It helps that once you get close to Leif with the flyers he blows up the bridge, which only helps you since it takes his cavalry forever to make it to your position

I guess the answer to dumb bullshit is to just bullshit the game right back, though I can't really say it felt all that satisfying

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I can't for the life of me figure out if using a master seal early is bad or good. Is there like a secondary level in the background or something? I see people refer to class and personal stat growth. Does personal reset with a level 1 new class? Help me.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
it's good 100 percent

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

JBP posted:

I can't for the life of me figure out if using a master seal early is bad or good. Is there like a secondary level in the background or something? I see people refer to class and personal stat growth. Does personal reset with a level 1 new class? Help me.

There is a 'secondary level' in the background that is what exp growth is based off of. If you promote Alear at level 10 they will still be level 10 for exp purposes, and even if you second seal Vander into a base class he will still get trash exp.

Class and personal growths are combined to get the 'actual' growths. Advanced classes have better stat growths than their base counterparts, so it's generally better to promote early for both the promotion bonuses and the increased stat growth with little to no loss in exp gained.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

JBP posted:

Exp calculations don't care what class you're in, they only track how many internal levels you've earned. Being level 10 and promoting to a level 1 advanced class means your internal level is still 10.

Promoting as soon as possible is the correct play 100% of the time, no questions or exceptions beyond literally not having enough master seals available to do so.

Growths aren't related to exp, they're stat growth chances when you level. Every character has their own personal stat growths which are modified by whatever class they're in. As an example, Anna's personal magic growth is 50%, and Sage has a 30% magic growth, so Sage Anna has an 80% chance to gain a point of magic per level.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, there is literally no reason not to promote ASAP in this game beyond the early limit on Master Seals. You don't even have an earlier level cap as drawback, once you hit level 20 with a character you can even second seal them back to level 1 in whatever class they're currently in.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Amber is so bad, jesus

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Tired Moritz posted:

Amber is so bad, jesus

He’s a star player on my squad with a Wolf Knight promo, fixes his Speed and high Strength + knives goes hard

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Extremely bizarre choice that is Animal Kidnapping Simulator 2023, you cannot kidnap Alpacas

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Amber would not allow anyone to kidnap the most precious of animals

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Zore posted:

whoops, that dude was recruitable? I thought he had a weird amount of focus and dialogue for a relatively weak stage midboss but I completely missed him

Goddammit it, I just did this map tonight and killed the poor bastard

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The fact that he's reluctant and has talk prompts for Alear/Ivy didn't tip you people off?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

People have forgotten FE's roots with recruitable characters.

Sad to see.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
His gimmick is that his solution is to cast Elthunder on everything, including and especially corn. So if you want hot, missing electrified corn action.....

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

People have forgotten FE's roots with recruitable characters.

Sad to see.
its very funny seeing people talk about how this game has too many characters when its like the 4th smallest roster in the series

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Endorph posted:

its very funny seeing people talk about how this game has too many characters when its like the 4th smallest roster in the series

I think its mainly the low deploy size for most of the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the deployment limit is about the same as fe8 minus the two maps in fe8 that let you dump 18 guys on the map for some reason. tbh engage could have done with one of those, itd have been funny.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

You get about the same amount of total people on the map, but it does kinda feel lower around the midgame with like half the Solm arc going "here's about 8 slots you get to pick and 2-3 green units who'll turn blue as soon as the map starts."

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I think engages biggest weakness as a plot is that it has too many characters all trying to be the second most important person in the scene after alear, at all times. It's like a way less annoying but way more persistent form of 3h roll calling your entire house during dramatic scenes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its 4 people? that just seems like a normal jrpg party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It feels like a huge roster as a 3h player that only faintly recalls the GBA game. 3h had a lot of people but you focused on one group. Due to this my entire roster is the cool crew from Brodia who are going to save the world while all these lesser nations watch in awe.