Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Vampire Panties posted:

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/d/newport-beach-1978-pacific-seacraft/7580841967.html

Seems like a banging price on a very very solid boat that needs a lot of elbow grease? Whole boat is dirty as poo poo, the teak is sorta/kinda hosed but could potentially be rehabed, and it obviously needs a bottom scrub and paint. The engine looks like what I'd expect a 43 year old diesel to look? :shrug:

I've never seen a chain just chilling on the outside before, that's... very interesting. I'm always worried a wave comes and sucks my tshirt into the belt while I'm diagnosing a fuel problem and it's running. Exposed chain with sprocket teeth is next level finger chopper

$9k is... charitable

$4500 for new standing rigging
$2000 for new running rigging
$2000 for a new main sail (the other sails can wait)

Probably $2000 in random repairs up front just to get it insured to put it in a marina

Half the exterior hardware will probably need replacement

Probably 25K to get in good enough shape you'd want to take a photo of it, plus $450/mo slip fee

Probably budget another $6000 for a rebuilt marine diesel because that one looks like it only has another 2 or 3 seasons left in it, probably

If you were gonna buy a half-derilict sailboat, pacific seacraft would be near the top of my list

I would attack the teak absolute last, teak work destroys your soul and spirit. Teak work is what you do when you're on anchor in Fiji after you've gotten the rest of the boat in bristol quality and already are using it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Hadlock posted:

I've never seen a chain just chilling on the outside before, that's... very interesting. I'm always worried a wave comes and sucks my tshirt into the belt while I'm diagnosing a fuel problem and it's running. Exposed chain with sprocket teeth is next level finger chopper

$9k is... charitable

$4500 for new standing rigging
$2000 for new running rigging
$2000 for a new main sail (the other sails can wait)

Probably $2000 in random repairs up front just to get it insured to put it in a marina

Half the exterior hardware will probably need replacement

Probably 25K to get in good enough shape you'd want to take a photo of it, plus $450/mo slip fee

Probably budget another $6000 for a rebuilt marine diesel because that one looks like it only has another 2 or 3 seasons left in it, probably

If you were gonna buy a half-derilict sailboat, pacific seacraft would be near the top of my list

I would attack the teak absolute last, teak work destroys your soul and spirit. Teak work is what you do when you're on anchor in Fiji after you've gotten the rest of the boat in bristol quality and already are using it

:haibrow: Thank you for the input. It being a pacific seacraft, and the interior being decent, is what caught my eye. 25k in refits seems like a lot, but I think thats sorta to be expected on any boat thats as old as I am :shrug: it also seems like this is the kinda boat I actually could take to Fiji, although it would be slow AF.

Also yeah I would want to do something with the engine. My heart wants to go electric for numerous reasons but it seems unrealistic on a boat this heavy/old.

EDIT

also heavily agreed on the teak. Assuming nothing is leaking through, and AFAIK the pacific seacraft are solid core decks? that poo poo can be done one-handed somewhere tropical, upgrading to two hands if sufficiently buzzed :v:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Vampire Panties posted:

25k in refits seems like a lot,

25k in refits, and four of your prime years :eng101:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Unless your dream is to fix up an old boat, it is always a better idea to spend more up-front on a boat in better condition than otherwise.

But if your dream isn't sailing/boating as much as fixing up a boat to sail/motor on, then go for it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm so glad I went ahead and got a note on our boat*. The day they signed the title over to us, we motored out and took it for a sail. No issues. Then we did that every weekend for ~2 years with no issues.

Buying a boat you feel is unsafe to leave the slip, is , not great. Even if you do most of the labor yourself, every hour at the dock is an hour you're not spending sailing. For every 3 hours sailing, it feels like I spend at least an hour cleaning the boat or fixing/replacing random things. And another 20 minutes ordering stuff from defender.com, or driving an hour out of my way to buy it from west marine. Having the boat ready to go and utilizing your investment on day 1 is extremely safisfying.

*Do not get a note on a boat

wzm
Dec 12, 2004
I took the BoatUS class, and the ASA "do this online before learning to sail" class, and signed up to learn to sail dinghies with the local sailing club on our mountain lake ($25 for the weekend, repaid when you complete the weekend). Our neighbor who offered to help loaned me a book on the Hartley Wayfarer he's got, but it'll be a few months before the water level is up again for sail boats. I think I've talked myself out of signing up for an ASA 101 class, but that's mostly because the local free options are seeming pretty good.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
That's awesome. Sail (race?) those dinghies and you'll get a understanding of how to trim a sail, and reading the wind and water. That will put you in a good place if you want to move up to keel boats. In the ASA course you'll be able to focus on things like navigation, traffic awareness and crew management instead of trying to remember which way to push the tiller.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Karma Comedian posted:

I love my big dumb mantus anchor.

As you should, I meant Mantus when I said Manson. Both (and Rocna and probably others) make good concave anchors.

I will go on a holy war against using stainless steel anywhere on your anchor gear. This goes for anchors (overpriced, pointless), chain (overpriced, dangerous), and shackles (dangerous). Only exception is for mousing the shackle pins.

Stainless work hardens a lot faster than mild steel, and there are numerous examples of stainless anchor gear fatiguing and failing after relatively short duty.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Stainless steel anchor gear is for marina queens to keep all polished and shiny, not to actually use.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

monsterzero posted:

you'll be able to focus on things like navigation, traffic awareness and crew management instead of trying to remember which way to push the tiller.

You do not want to be this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcH5BWwI74k&t=37s

"hey let's not hit that ship, veer left, veer LEFT"

*crew pushes tiller left, and boat directly into the path of oncoming ship*

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh yeah do not be me, don't buy stainless steel chain. Sorry. You are correct.

I bought stainless steel chain because my boat is tiny inside and doesn't have a dedicated anchor locker, and it spends most of it's time in a cramped settee locker I don't want to clean rust out of. I also grossly oversized it because of crevice corossion being an issue on stainless chain. I use my anchor maybe once every other year, primarily as a lunch hook.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Vampire Panties posted:

Also yeah I would want to do something with the engine. My heart wants to go electric for numerous reasons but it seems unrealistic on a boat this heavy/old.

Hybrid diesel-electric is an option these days too. Seems to provide a lot of benefit for more than just propulsion too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xohxmwPfctg&t=1497s

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
It's also hilariously expensive. I'd love a system like that but it would completely blow my cruising budget and I'm doing a full lithium upgrade, new electronics, new sails, a hard solar array, and new running rigging this year.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Hybrid diesel-electric is an option these days too. Seems to provide a lot of benefit for more than just propulsion too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xohxmwPfctg&t=1497s

Kenshin posted:

It's also hilariously expensive. I'd love a system like that but it would completely blow my cruising budget and I'm doing a full lithium upgrade, new electronics, new sails, a hard solar array, and new running rigging this year.

:hmmyes: I've done some math on costs for batteries and such, and it gets wild really fast. There's a dude on Youtube who spent 250k 5 years ago on batteries. solar panels, electric drives, and diesel gensets to convert his Cat to entirely electric drive, no sails. LiPo and flexible solar panels have come a long way in efficiency in that short time, and all of the stuff is significantly less expensive, but still. If those toroidal props actually pan out to be 20% improvement, especially in capturing electricity as the boat sails, then it may be realistic to start refitting boats. Otherwise, with the costs and performance tradeoffs and overall engineering challenges of building a new system into an existing boat, it makes more sense to go absolutely ham and have someone build you a boat.

If I won the lottery I would probably call Neel, hand them the black card, and tell them to figure out a hybrid 47 for me :v: but right now it just doesn't seem feasible.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I just got my second house bank battery, once it's installed this weekend I'll have 600ah of LiFePo4 :woop:

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Completely different but I fell down the LiFePO4 rabbit hole last year while putting this little guy together.

When camping we bring two 50ah batteries and a folder solar panel. That’s enough to quietly putt around the lake for a few days.

I think all-told I spent $750 on the inflatable hull, trolling motor, batteries, chargers, and accessories. Kind of silly but soooooo much fun per dollar.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

App13 posted:

Completely different but I fell down the LiFePO4 rabbit hole last year while putting this little guy together.

When camping we bring two 50ah batteries and a folder solar panel. That’s enough to quietly putt around the lake for a few days.

I think all-told I spent $750 on the inflatable hull, trolling motor, batteries, chargers, and accessories. Kind of silly but soooooo much fun per dollar.

I love this so much :kimchi:

I got myself a new(to me) windlass from the marine consignment store in town!

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 2, 2023

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Karma Comedian posted:

I love this so much :kimchi:

Lil boat + wife + umbrella + joint has resulted in some of the fondest moments of my life. There’s a little island at one of the state parks that has a boat-in only campsite, which is what’s pictured here. 20 minutes to setup, 20 minutes to tear down. Fits in a Prius. Can’t beat it.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I think I'm getting too many projects running through my head. Someone tell me that repainting my hull is a bad idea.

Is it a big project? I haven't done it before. I've put on antifoul a bunch which is nothing.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hull, or hull and deck?

I repainted a Catalina 30 hull at... 11 years old? On the street in front of our house. That's fine.

Deck is another beast though. It is too much, disassembling all that half broken hardware that's corroded in place? Nightmare fuel. Most deck hardware needs two people to remove it. Then afterwards you have to buy/reinstall/install everything

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Oh, just the hull, I know the deck would be a nightmare. At most I might put some koala grip on the non-skid at some point, but I don't think that's this year.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

enki42 posted:

I think I'm getting too many projects running through my head. Someone tell me that repainting my hull is a bad idea.

Is it a big project? I haven't done it before. I've put on antifoul a bunch which is nothing.

Like the hull above the waterline? Maybe you have ~reasons~ but you can't see that poo poo from the cockpit, and dull gelcoat or lovely paint won't sink you.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

monsterzero posted:

Like the hull above the waterline? Maybe you have ~reasons~ but you can't see that poo poo from the cockpit, and dull gelcoat or lovely paint won't sink you.

Oh, 100% vanity, I got all the have to fix stuff done and now I just want it to look pretty.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Some goon should buy this 57 footer so I can come sail with them: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/d/richmond-57-foot-custom-blue-water-ketch/7582882450.html

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

I'm assuming this is so inexpensive because finding a place to store it is practically impossible?

These sorts of listings are always a crackup. Buncha disjointed pictures, practically no description of the boat itself, at least two faux-artsy pics of the same thing taken at slightly different angles.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Vampire Panties posted:

I'm assuming this is so inexpensive because finding a place to store it is practically impossible?

Or just because a 52 year old wooden boat of that size is just a giant sucking black hole for money? As it's a custom build there will be zero parts available and every single repair will be a custom job (other than minor stuff or maybe engine parts).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Vampire Panties posted:

These sorts of listings are always a crackup. Buncha disjointed pictures, practically no description of the boat itself, at least two faux-artsy pics of the same thing taken at slightly different angles.

Half the time if you call the guy you'll get the entire play by play of both circumnavigations

They're selling the boat basically for the value of the perkins diesel and a handful of other big ticket items like the windlass and probably generator and the six tons of bronze fittings

A boat that size is nice in some hosed up ways, because it's so massive and overbuilt, nothing really wears out you just need to replace the consumables and repaint everything once a year or so. You just need infinite time to keep up with the maintenance. Like when you're busy doing a circumnavigation. Probably not an ideal candidate for marina queen whose owner only goes to the dock twice a month

54' slips in my area go for looks like $795 and $942, per month, they'll definitely allow you an exception to keep a 57' boat in a 54' slip

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

The Locator posted:

Or just because a 52 year old wooden boat of that size is just a giant sucking black hole for money? As it's a custom build there will be zero parts available and every single repair will be a custom job (other than minor stuff or maybe engine parts).

Hadlock posted:

Half the time if you call the guy you'll get the entire play by play of both circumnavigations

They're selling the boat basically for the value of the perkins diesel and a handful of other big ticket items like the windlass and probably generator and the six tons of bronze fittings

A boat that size is nice in some hosed up ways, because it's so massive and overbuilt, nothing really wears out you just need to replace the consumables and repaint everything once a year or so. You just need infinite time to keep up with the maintenance. Like when you're busy doing a circumnavigation. Probably not an ideal candidate for marina queen whose owner only goes to the dock twice a month

54' slips in my area go for looks like $795 and $942, per month, they'll definitely allow you an exception to keep a 57' boat in a 54' slip

:hmmyes: This was sorta my view on it.. its so huge and solidly built, and it needs so much ongoing maintenance, that basically you buy this thing if you plan on sailing to Fiji the second you can get a crew together. Its care and feeding are going to be nearly identical sitting at anchor or in the South Pacific, and while its sorta weird that every single repair will be a custom job, thats how most homes are :shrug: at a certain level it also makes things a lot easier - its always going to involve woodworking and some sort of epoxy :v:

I wish I were anywhere close to the Bay because I'd go take a look.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Vampire Panties posted:

:hmmyes: This was sorta my view on it.. its so huge and solidly built, and it needs so much ongoing maintenance, that basically you buy this thing if you plan on sailing to Fiji the second you can get a crew together. Its care and feeding are going to be nearly identical sitting at anchor or in the South Pacific, and while its sorta weird that every single repair will be a custom job, thats how most homes are :shrug: at a certain level it also makes things a lot easier - its always going to involve woodworking and some sort of epoxy :v:

I wish I were anywhere close to the Bay because I'd go take a look.

It's almost certainly a hulk that is nearly falling apart

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Kenshin posted:

They were actively sailing it up until covid hit, it looks like: http://www.sailingacross.com/

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Kenshin posted:

Pham Nuwen posted:

They were actively sailing it up until covid hit, it looks like: http://www.sailingacross.com/

The first COVID furloughs were nearly 3 years ago. Plenty of time for a boat like that to pick up some really nasty incurable diseases. On the other hand, also totally possible that the thing is a floating tank and (cosmetic poo poo aside) is ready for another circumnavigation. If it were a Coast Guard approved charter, that implies some sort of initial and potentially ongoing safety inspections, at least to satisfy insurance? :shrug: Its way too much boat for me anyway; Wooden boats are cool as hell, and I know this is a statistical improbability, but on a circumnavigation I'd be concerned about the ship breaking apart in some freak climate-change related storm.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah 3 years without maintenance in a warm weather port is not going to be kind to any boat, much less one that old. The older the boat is the more consistent maintenance it needs.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It was a charter boat until recently it's probably in better shape than most boats that age

Would not surprise me if you picked a good weather window and set off in it*, you'd make it to Fiji

I'd rather put $20k down on a well maintained J/35 or J/40

Not sure I'd call SF a warm weather port rarely gets above 65, water temp is 50F year round in most places

*Bring a life raft and fresh EPIRB

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Maybe they're using the definition Catherine the Great* used, which was "a port that doesn't freeze in winter".

*I'm not going to bother looking up if I'm thinking of the right person

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Vampire Panties posted:

The first COVID furloughs were nearly 3 years ago. Plenty of time for a boat like that to pick up some really nasty incurable diseases. On the other hand, also totally possible that the thing is a floating tank and (cosmetic poo poo aside) is ready for another circumnavigation. If it were a Coast Guard approved charter, that implies some sort of initial and potentially ongoing safety inspections, at least to satisfy insurance? :shrug: Its way too much boat for me anyway; Wooden boats are cool as hell, and I know this is a statistical improbability, but on a circumnavigation I'd be concerned about the ship breaking apart in some freak climate-change related storm.

The ad says it was hauled in 2022 which would seem to indicate that it was still being cared for, it just wasn't doing charters?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So Honda has been selling their famous Super Cub and related family of gas scooters in some form or another since the 50s, engines range from 50cc up to 125cc. In 2017 they announced they sold their 100 millionth super cub. These scooters and copies power the economy of countries like Vietnam, Cambodia and in urban areas the rest of SE Asia. I think they sell north of 5 million per year globally. If you search "110cc scooter motor" on Amazon or eBay that's what they're designed to slot into. They're very important to Honda

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Super_Cub

Honda has been formally working on an "eCub" since at least 2009 as a successor to the super cub. Honda is the market leader in gas scooters so they want to make sure they maintain their status and become the standard scooter. The plan is to have sealed, swappable battery packs. Just drive up to a vending machine, drop an empty battery pack in there and pick up a freshly charged one and go, plug and play. These battery packs are called MPPe units. They've partnered with Yamaha and some other motorcycle industry leaders to make this The Battery Standard by an overwhelming majority

https://www.news18.com/news/auto/honda-planning-to-bring-swappable-battery-packs-for-rickshaws-in-india-details-here-4405586.html

Anyways, Honda showed off an electric outboard motor powered by an MPPe, similar to a torqueedo, but using an MPPe instead of weird expensive proprietary battery, you can see an example here, it's like a squared off coffee can with a grab handle on top

https://plugboats.com/honda-electric-outboard-prototype-dusseldorf-show/

I was thinking they might become popular with eBicycles but never occurred to me that we could end up with a electric outboard that uses a standard battery. Exciting times

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 13, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Dumb question, but then I'm dumb and don't know gently caress poo poo about boats.

Will a magnetic compass get messed up (be inaccurate) in an aluminum boat?

I know aluminum isn't ferrous, but I do also know that various metals, ferrous or not can interfere with various things.

My parents had an rv trailer in the past, parked at a camp ground and the radio reception was poo poo. Most other people in the park had the same problem. General consensus was "lots of metal around to gently caress with things". Though thats not exactly scientific reasoning.

I suppose a "boat compass" would probably be made in such a way that this might be compensated for?

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 21, 2023

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Aluminum shouldn't affect a compass. Expensive marine compasses will have little steel, uh, thingies that can be positioned around the compass to counteract the effect of other nearby equipment, but those take professionals to install and maintain.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

wesleywillis posted:

Dumb question, but then I'm dumb and don't know gently caress poo poo about boats.

Will a magnetic compass get messed up (be inaccurate) in an aluminum boat?

I know aluminum isn't ferrous, but I do also know that various metals, ferrous or not can interfere with various things.

My parents had an rv trailer in the past, parked at a camp ground and the radio reception was poo poo. Most other people in the park had the same problem. General consensus was "lots of metal around to gently caress with things". Though thats not exactly scientific reasoning.

I suppose a "boat compass" would probably be made in such a way that this might be compensated for?

Radios and compasses work completely differently. Aluminum boats don't bother compasses nearly as much as steel boats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Decided hell with it and left the dock.