Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tomn posted:

I feel like this might be slightly unfair given how much of Germany's history education focuses on pummeling through the idea that "We did a VERY VERY VERY BAD THING before, NEVER AGAIN." It's unfortunate but understandable how parts of their internal politics might end up oversensitive about anything that might remotely sound like they're inching back towards the Bad Thing, even if everyone else is actually OK with the action in question.

Somehow all that pummelling doesn't seem to include the part where they learn the very bad thing involved lots of dead Ukrainians and Belarusians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

SmokingFrog0641 posted:

And if it was equally on the Americans, why are the challenger 2s from Britain not enough to cover Scholz

Because the numbers are completely irrelevant

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

VostokProgram posted:

They're not fully new, they take tanks from our cold war stockpile and upgrade to modern standards (and remove the DU armor)

To be fair, it may actually be faster and easier to just build new tanks. The hull is welded together, and it's unclear how "modular" the insides of the armor plates are. It's very possible that they'll be creating new hulls and are not waiting at all for engines, torsion bars, roadwheels, optics, the main gun, or basically anything other than the hull itself.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Any recommendations for good sources on Russian vehicular losses that are harder to be dismissed by various parties as propaganda?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

khwarezm posted:

Any recommendations for good sources on Russian vehicular losses that are harder to be dismissed by various parties as propaganda?

If it's a good source it's already been dismissed as propaganda a hundred times by Russian propaganda.

Oryx is as good as it gets in that it has a reasonably high bar for evidence, they show said evidence, and it is responsibly curated for duplicates. It is not a complete listing of losses but rather provides a lowest possible range on losses. Which is also why you'll find a concerted effort to discount or smear it.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Warbadger posted:

If it's a good source it's already been dismissed as propaganda a hundred times by Russian propaganda.

Oryx is as good as it gets in that it has a reasonably high bar for evidence, they show said evidence, and it is responsibly curated for duplicates. It is not a complete listing of losses but rather provides a lowest possible range on losses. Which is also why you'll find a concerted effort to discount or smear it.

Yeah unfortunately it was literally Oryx I mentioned and I was accused of spreading NATO propaganda and that Oryx doesn't distinguish between Ukrainian and Russian hardware and calls it all Russian.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

khwarezm posted:

Yeah unfortunately it was literally Oryx I mentioned and I was accused of spreading NATO propaganda and that Oryx doesn't distinguish between Ukrainian and Russian hardware and calls it all Russian.

Given that Oryx is getting cited by the likes of WSJ, you’ll unlikely find anything that would be convincing for the same conversation, if you’re seeing them dismissed.

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

Mentioned in this article https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-war-nato-urges-south-korea-participation-be006936069bfed0ec4b39491754b333 about Stoltenberg´s visit to Korea:

quote:

South Korea, a growing arms exporter with a well-equipped, U.S.-backed military, has provided humanitarian aid and other support to Ukraine while joining U.S.-led economic sanctions against Moscow. But it has not directly provided arms to Ukraine, citing a long-standing policy of not supplying weapons to countries actively engaged in conflict.

Apparently this kind of "We will sell you weapons, unless you actually use them" is more common than one would think.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

khwarezm posted:

Every Oryx entry has a photo or video source attached so people doubting them may go to the source and use the methodology they consider correct.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

khwarezm posted:

Sounds like this person is too deep into the "if it says something I don't like it's propaganda" hole and you should just :sever:

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

khwarezm posted:

The dataset in Oryx is so big, eg for tanks and bmps, that random misattribution is statistically irrelevant at this point already. If 10 totally shattered bmp carcasses are almost unidentifiable and put down as Russian losses it really doesn't seem to matter at this point anyway.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Charlotte Hornets posted:

The dataset in Oryx is so big, eg for tanks and bmps, that random misattribution is statistically irrelevant at this point already.

It's also all completely public, you can look at every single loss if you want to. Someone accusing them of systemic misattribution has either just read Russian propaganda and believed it without question or is intentionally lying. If they can literally check with their own eyes and don't bother, they're not very interested in whether the accusations are true or not, just that they confirm their world view.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TheRat posted:

Personally I think Germany not wanting to look like a main military force in Europe is a pretty good, historical reason. I don't see any reason to blame Germany more than the US for the delay.

Germany is a country, not a person. People who happened to run the country of Germany did some horrible poo poo ~80 years ago and a bunch of other people running other countries stepped up to stop them. Those people are all dead. Now different people who happen to run the country of Russia are doing some horrible poo poo and the people who happen to run the country of Germany now aren't doing everything they can to stop them because they're worried about looking like those other dead people from 80 years ago.

Sure, you could make the argument that politics doesn't always make sense and the fact that these people - who have nothing to do with Hitler or Nazis - are just being extremely cautious to avoid being associated with them. But that's cold comfort when people are dying and the moral imperative should be to put humanity in front of politics.

Ynglaur posted:

To be fair, it may actually be faster and easier to just build new tanks. The hull is welded together, and it's unclear how "modular" the insides of the armor plates are. It's very possible that they'll be creating new hulls and are not waiting at all for engines, torsion bars, roadwheels, optics, the main gun, or basically anything other than the hull itself.

I have zero evidence for this, but given that "Super secret squirrel DU armor" is used so freely by the government as an excuse, my skepticism leads me to think it's a red herring / codeword to avoid talking about the actual secret stuff they don't want to mention.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 30, 2023

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.bfmtv.com/international...2301300184.html Macron presser. Of the notable, he says that he doesn’t see “anything prohibited” in providing combat aircraft to Ukraine [on an unspecified timeline]. A few default caveats, like “don’t use these to bomb Russia”, but it seems like this is going to be another Scholz versus the world, whenever the conversation takes a serious turn for it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Who cares about Scholz' opinion on aircraft? Germany needed to give the OK on all Leo 2 donations, but they don't have any say over F-16/Typhoon/Gripen/Rafale/etc.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spankmeister posted:

Who cares about Scholz' opinion on aircraft? Germany needed to give the OK on all Leo 2 donations, but they don't have any say over F-16/Typhoon/Gripen/Rafale/etc.

F-16 probably not, but if Europlanes use German parts then that still could be a problem. I’m not saying they do, as I don’t know that, but it that would not a particularly surprising scenario.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Quixzlizx posted:

So it's ethically OK for "pacifists" to build up a profitable MIC that exports military equipment throughout Europe, but not OK to donate that same military equipment from that same MIC to a democratic country being invaded and genocided? :rolleyes:

You/they might have had a point if Ukraine was asking for manned German formations to join the war.

Hey, nobody said anything about ethics, just optics. I'm just noting the political reality that Germany has a bit of a kneejerk reaction to military adventures in the popular consciousness because of their history, and any politician who wants to change that needs to confront the political costs of attempting to change minds, in a way that the US or France or what-have-you doesn't have to quite as much, and that adds in some constraints on action that, say, Biden doesn't have to worry about as much. That's of course leaving aside the fact that Scholz himself doesn't exactly seem to be the most enthusiastic world leader in favor of aid to begin with, which would make him even less willing to run political risks for the sake of pushing aid through.

Again, not to say that Germany is justified in withholding aid, just noting that the political playing field is just plain different and what looks like a political slam-dunk in the US can look deeply contentious in Germany.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Tomn posted:

Hey, nobody said anything about ethics, just optics. I'm just noting the political reality that Germany has a bit of a kneejerk reaction to military adventures in the popular consciousness because of their history, and any politician who wants to change that needs to confront the political costs of attempting to change minds, in a way that the US or France or what-have-you doesn't have to quite as much, and that adds in some constraints on action that, say, Biden doesn't have to worry about as much. That's of course leaving aside the fact that Scholz himself doesn't exactly seem to be the most enthusiastic world leader in favor of aid to begin with, which would make him even less willing to run political risks for the sake of pushing aid through.

Again, not to say that Germany is justified in withholding aid, just noting that the political playing field is just plain different and what looks like a political slam-dunk in the US can look deeply contentious in Germany.

My post also applies to optics. They shouldn't be manufacturing tanks (for export) in the first place if this is a genuine quandary for them.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 30, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Ynglaur posted:

Don't let the news organizations overplay this. "some battlefield success lately" amounts to losing several thousand--and maybe several tens of thousands--of mobilized recruits to move a notional front line about a kilometer or two to occupy a small town north of a small city (Bakhmut). It's not a breakthrough, in that the Ukrainian lines are not breached, and it's not a sudden or unexpected change.

I'm kind of with Michael Koffman on this: I'd give Russia a 50/50 chance of taking Bakhmut. If they do, then what? It doesn't really get them that much in terms of new options. It doesn't present any kind of operational dilemma for Ukraine.

One of the best outcomes for Russia is if the attrition forces Ukraine to commit new operational formations it's busy training, but so far that doesn't seem to be the case. Ukraine is rotating units, and likely replenishing those units with new recruits, but it's not e.g. taking a new mechanized battalion trained in the UK and committing them to save Bakhmut.

Don't underestimate how quickly military institutions can reform and change. It's not always predictable--and of course some fail to change, and thus keep failing. But history is replete with examples of militaries completely reforming in a matter of a couple years, from ancient times through modern.

two little notes here, first that russia is not using just mobiks or prisoners, they've been using a bit of everything in and around bakhmut, which is a big part of what makes it so costly for both sides.

re the last sentence, yeah 1000%. there's a popular sense a lot of times that whoever has momentum will continue to have momentum and just nothing could be further from the truth. especially as these things draw out and you start having attritive factors compounding with the other side getting their poo poo increasingly together. Practically wars are both sides constantly putting out 500 critical fires and there's never any guarantee of success, indeed as this war in particular has shown. Desire to not get blown up (or conversely to be in a leadership position while losing a war) is one helluva motivator to improve and you routinely see militaries do more reform and growth in a year of war than they would over decades otherwise.

imo one of the big things that Ukraine and Ukraine's backers have done an overall very good job of is anticipating the fires that they're going to have to put out in a few months time.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

KillHour posted:

I have zero evidence for this, but given that "Super secret squirrel DU armor" is used so freely by the government as an excuse, my skepticism leads me to think it's a red herring / codeword to avoid talking about the actual secret stuff they don't want to mention.
Eh...maybe? The only other super-secret stuff would be the fire control computer, the optics, communications, and maybe navigation. All of those things are modular and can be swapped out without too much trouble. The optics would probably be the trickiest, of those things.

I mean, there are other secret things on newer-model Abrams the US probably doesn't want spread around, but the most difficult of them to manage is still the armor.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

Eh...maybe? The only other super-secret stuff would be the fire control computer, the optics, communications, and maybe navigation. All of those things are modular and can be swapped out without too much trouble. The optics would probably be the trickiest, of those things.

I mean, there are other secret things on newer-model Abrams the US probably doesn't want spread around, but the most difficult of them to manage is still the armor.

I guess what I mean is even if the current domestic armor had no depleted uranium in it at all and it was instead some super secret carbon fiber impregnated ceramic or some poo poo, they would still go around calling it DU armor.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Looks like UA has 2 years to wrap this war up or risk losing.

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1619809716464656387

I mean, coked up Jr aside there's nothing he's saying we didn't already know. I think.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’m not dying, lol.

Not dying today.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

khwarezm posted:

not that this will convince anyone screeching about how Oryx is nato propaganda, but I've gone through entire categories on there to check for duplicates and found basically nothing obviously duplicated. It's genuinely as good of a list as any out there and I'd highly recommend anyone doubting it to actually go through the categories to find all the obvious duplicates if they're convinced that they're padding it out.

as an aside, it was within 10% of the lostarmour (russian version of oryx basically... that largely did not count russian tank losses, at least last time i looked at it) count of ukrainian losses when I last checked

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Lostarmor is only a good source as a forum where people either in Russian military or connected to it cant stop leaking info.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Quixzlizx posted:

My post also applies to optics. They shouldn't be manufacturing tanks (for export) in the first place if this is a genuine quandary for them.

The problem isn't ethical quandaries, the problem is "What is more likely to cause voters to sit up and take notice?" I suspect that "Let's invest in industries that will create jobs and improve the economy (by making weapons of war during a time of widespread peace when they'll probably never be used)" is a lot easier to slide under the radar than "Let's start sending tanks into an active war zone."

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

fatherboxx posted:

Lostarmor is only a good source as a forum where people either in Russian military or connected to it cant stop leaking info.

yeah lol, it was funny when they were screaming about how the oryx list was false but their count of ukrainian losses was only 5-10% more than Oryx

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 31, 2023

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Tomn posted:

The problem isn't ethical quandaries, the problem is "What is more likely to cause voters to sit up and take notice?" I suspect that "Let's invest in industries that will create jobs and improve the economy (by making weapons of war during a time of widespread peace when they'll probably never be used)" is a lot easier to slide under the radar than "Let's start sending tanks into an active war zone."

They've been used a whole loving lot in Africa and Asia. They can get hosed.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Tomn posted:

Given what I thought was overwhelming support for Ukraine in the general German public, apparently, a sizable minority are against sending tanks. This actually surprised me when I dug up the numbers.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/28/europe/germany-mood-leopard-ukraine-intl/index.html
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jan/25/scholzs-caution-over-tanks-for-ukraine-echoed-on-berlin-streets

quote:

The clearest divide was political. A high proportion of supporters of Germany’s left-leaning Green Party – 61% – approved the delivery. The result was less clear among Scholz’s center-left Social Democratic Party (SPD), with just 49% in favor.

The heaviest rejection for the delivery of heavy battle tanks came from AfD supporters. A hefty 84% of them rejected the delivery of Leopard tanks to Ukraine.

In the wake of Wednesday’s decision, AfD co-leader Tino Chrupalla’s condemnation was clear as he labeled the move “irresponsible and dangerous.”

Overall support in Germany for generic "support" Ukraine question is still solid though with more than 2 to 1 favoring the generic support question

https://www.politico.eu/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/12/EP_Autumn_2022__EB042EP_presentation_en.pdf

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

MikeC posted:

Overall support in Germany for generic "support" Ukraine question is still solid though with more than 2 to 1 favoring the generic support question

https://www.politico.eu/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/12/EP_Autumn_2022__EB042EP_presentation_en.pdf

So it's like thoughts and prayers in the US for mass shooting victims?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Nah in practice German support for Ukraine has absolutely been forthcoming, it's just under the tiresome specter of Scholtz being a stick in the mud about it as much as possible.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ukraine-f16s-biden-says-today-us-wont-provide/ Biden is shutting down the F-16 chat, for now at least. Not too surprising, but also unlikely the last we’ve heard of it.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Ironically by saying no (if indeed that's the question he thought he was hearing) he's guaranteed that we're going to hear about f16s for the next year as Ukraine will just take that as a signal that they need to make their case.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ukraine-f16s-biden-says-today-us-wont-provide/ Biden is shutting down the F-16 chat, for now at least. Not too surprising, but also unlikely the last we’ve heard of it.
Saying that the US won't provide F-16's isn't the same thing as saying that they won't approve other countries transferring their own though.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Also there's a big difference between "remark Biden tosses off at the press pool while sauntering off of Marine One" and "official White House statement of policy."

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Cicero posted:

There's a good chance Erdogan gets dumped this year, so it's possible to just wait.

Do not expect them to vote out Erdogan despite insane inflation

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Do not expect Erdogan to leave office either way

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

IIRC recent opinion polls have him losing in the second round. Could always change of course.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Morrow posted:

Do not expect Erdogan to leave office either way

I don't know how likely it is, but If he loses the election and fails at a coup attempt I think rule of threes says he has to move to Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
cross-posting:

ronya posted:

https://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/xwfw_665399/s2510_665401/202301/t20230130_11016450.html

quote:

CCTV: It was reported that according to sources, the US government obtained evidence suggesting some Chinese state-owned companies may be providing assistance of an economic as well as non-lethal military nature for Russia’s war effort in Ukraine. The US government has confronted the Chinese government to see if the latter is aware of that and warned China of the implications of providing material support to Russia. Do you have any comment?

Mao Ning: China’s position on Ukraine has been objective and just. We always stand on the side of peace and have played a constructive role in advancing the political settlement of the Ukraine crisis. We are never a bystander, and we would never add fuel to the fire, still less exploit the crisis. The US is the one who started the Ukraine crisis and the biggest factor fueling it, and has kept sending heavy and assault weapons to Ukraine, which has only prolonged and intensified the conflict. Rather than reflecting on its own acts, the US has been sowing paranoia and pointing fingers at China. We reject such groundless blackmail, and we will not sit by and watch the US harm the lawful rights and interests of Chinese companies.

If the US truly wants an early end to the crisis and cares for the lives of the Ukrainian people, then it needs to stop sending weapons and profiteering from the fighting. The US needs to act responsibly by helping the situation deescalate as soon as possible, and create the necessary environment and conditions for peace talks between the parties concerned.

this actually strays from official messaging somewhat; China backed away from the NATO expansion messaging after 24 Feb last year

I'm not sure if the rep was just caught off-guard. The first Ukraine question in the press conference was not answered this way. Officially, the message is to allude to (but not explicitly indicate) NATO enlargement re: "the long-term accumulation and continuous evolution of deep-seated security imbalance in Europe" http://un.china-mission.gov.cn/eng/hyyfy/202301/t20230114_11007359.htm

Compare pre-invasion: https://www.fmprc.gov.cn/eng/wjb_663304/zwjg_665342/zwbd_665378/202202/t20220218_10643212.html

https://twitter.com/theChinaDude/status/1620300442348707841

ahead of APEC 2023 (hosted in the US) where Xi is also likely to personally attend

ronya fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 31, 2023