Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1620168262377181186?t=2eEiEUwinfJJx692Xrs_Dg&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Morrow posted:

Do not expect Erdogan to leave office either way

But while we are talking about dipshits in positions of power, president of Croatia, Zoran Milanović, had another insane moment, claiming yesterday:

- Russia was provoked by NATO since 2014 to invade Ukraine
- Sending weapons only prolongs the war
- Everything was planned by America to break up Russia
- "German tanks will burn in Ukraine", literally repeating Peskov's statement

In the past, he also claimed "Ukraine is threatening Russia with nuclear weapons" :wtc:, neither Russia nor Ukraine are democracies and therefore no one should support either side, we still don't know what happened in Bucha, Russia is indestructible, America is waging proxy war against Russia, and many, many other hits. It went so far that that Sputnik, RT, TASS and other Russian state media are openly cheering on Milanovic.

And I voted for the guy. Twice. What a mistake.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Gervasius posted:

But while we are talking about dipshits in positions of power, president of Croatia, Zoran Milanović, had another insane moment, claiming yesterday:

In the past, he also claimed "Ukraine is threatening Russia with nuclear weapons" :wtc:, neither Russia nor Ukraine are democracies and therefore no one should support either side, we still don't know what happened in Bucha, Russia is indestructible, America is waging proxy war against Russia, and many, many other hits. It went so far that that Sputnik, RT, TASS and other Russian state media are openly cheering on Milanovic.

You missed one

https://twitter.com/NatalkaKyiv/status/1620182917623201794?t=dDyRzsv5vLHtK9f326zmlQ&s=19

Yes, Ukraine is going to invade Croatia.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Gervasius posted:

Wait I thought Serbia was the crazy one, what the gently caress is going on over there?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

MikeC posted:

There is the possibility that Bakhmut holds significance for the Russians as a defensive stronghold that they want in their hands rather than allow the Ukrainians to have access to an urban area which is an intersection area for several major routes. T0513 and T0504 intersect in Bakhmut and in late summer were major supply lines for the Ukrainian Army as reported by ISW in late August. Those two roads offer lateral movement for the UA along the front and it the past two months have been all about bringing those routes under Russian control which had already been partially successful with the fall of Soledar on the northern shoulder.

Bakhmut also has E40 running between it and Krasna Hora and that route runs right into the heart of the breakaway republics. T0513 to the south (already under Russian control) leads directly into Horlivka and efforts south of Bakhmut have been centered around ensuring routes into that city under control as well.

It may well be that the Russians view Bakhmut, and other urban crossroads in the area as defensive liabilities if left indefinitely under Ukrainian hands and want control to make Ukrainian redeployment more difficult along that area of the front and having urban and fortified terrain protecting key roads that lead deep into Luhansk and Dontesk territory.

To add to this, another thing to consider is the sprawling salt mines in the area. Russia has been having major issues with their materiel concentrations getting targeted by Ukrainian artillery and HIMARs. The salt mines would give them a hardened logistics hub to store large quantities of ammo and fuel to then disperse through the front, much closer to the front than before.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

spankmeister posted:

Wait I thought Serbia was the crazy one, what the gently caress is going on over there?

Is this your first experience with the Balkans?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Mederlock posted:

To add to this, another thing to consider is the sprawling salt mines in the area. Russia has been having major issues with their materiel concentrations getting targeted by Ukrainian artillery and HIMARs. The salt mines would give them a hardened logistics hub to store large quantities of ammo and fuel to then disperse through the front, much closer to the front than before.

huh, that's an interesting thought but isn't the simplest solution to hardened deep underground bunkers just to bomb the entrances? It's not like Ukraine will not have a precise location for all of them.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Electric Wrigglies posted:

huh, that's an interesting thought but isn't the simplest solution to hardened deep underground bunkers just to bomb the entrances? It's not like Ukraine will not have a precise location for all of them.

#1 is to booby trap them. Put in a bunch of explosive devices, Russia will never find them all if you leave enough.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

His pivot from liberal centrist prime minister to hyper-nationalist maniac few weeks into his presidency is a question that probably will never be answered*

* - it's probably heroic amounts of cocaine

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

What is the underlying source or story for this, is this a credible outlet?

It is generally bad form in D&D to post tweets or links to articles without some curation or commentary.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
PiS aligned if not outright PiS run propaganda account. I have no idea why Twitter people love Christofascists so much, but I don't.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

This is a fake story: correspondent in question works at Ekaterinburg branch and the story is mostly promoted by the cluster of very unreliable pro-Ukraine accounts due to a slow news day.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Fritz the Horse posted:

It is generally bad form in D&D to post tweets or links to articles without some curation or commentary.

afaik the original source is Ищи своих/Look for Your Own, a Ukrainian Telegram, which claimed to have obtained this document:

I've read that a NTV spokesman denied it but I can't find a good source for that, there definitely doesn't seem to be real confirmation that it's legit

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Flavahbeast posted:

afaik the original source is Ищи своих/Look for Your Own, a Ukrainian Telegram, which claimed to have obtained this document:

I've read that a NTV spokesman denied it but I can't find a good source for that, there definitely doesn't seem to be real confirmation that it's legit

If it did happen they definitely would cover it up.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

https://t.me/ntvnews/108023

NTV rebuttal is here. It’s not particularly elaborate, but Visegrad24 is not particularly elaborate either, and it would be neither the first nor the 20th time they post made up poo poo. The document is not especially well written, and cannot be verified to boot. If we then take 3 seconds to Google, there’s literally one major Ukrainian newspaper reporting this as news, and rest of the discourse is just random compilation Telegrams. In addition to the story itself attempting to evoke domestic ethnic tensions in Russia, this is like 99,9% fake.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jan 31, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

Libluini - Do you happen to have sources on the "5-10% better"? I'm not doubting you - I'm just curious to learn more.
DU is both denser and less brittle than TC, so you can concentrate more KE at the point of impact, and DU darts don't get as disturbed by ERA.

Visual example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycPeO8xGXAw

spankmeister posted:

balkans gonna balkan, and also this particular pres is totally off his rocker. He's nominally socdem but won't disavow things like the use of Za dom spremni lmao.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jan 31, 2023

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.ustranscom.mil/cmd/panewsreader.cfm?ID=257C0F16-BEFD-D743-9EBE363136787004&yr=2023. Looks like Bradleys have finally shipped.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

spankmeister posted:

This is the same guy who also wanted to block Finland and Sweden from NATO because of some slapfight between balkan countries about who can vote and where.

Fortunately he is just a figurehead leader who cannot really do anything else than issue these off-medication press releases.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Have Ukrainian military already been training with these in the US? Or do they still have to start the training once they arrive?

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

mrfart posted:

Have Ukrainian military already been training with these in the US? Or do they still have to start the training once they arrive?

Apparently they started training two weeks ago in Germany, mid Jan

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davida...hting-vehicles/

Hard to quote cos I'm on mobile

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Interestingly the next listed stop on her itinerary is Southampton, picking up something from the British on the way maybe? Doesn't exactly seem the likeliest point to switch from boat to train.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

Interestingly the next listed stop on her itinerary is Southampton, picking up something from the British on the way maybe? Doesn't exactly seem the likeliest point to switch from boat to train.

Maybe they’ll haul Challengers too?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That would make sense, I keep forgetting the Brits wanted to send some tanks, too. Ever since I've read a story about how the UK had problems with their tanks leaking oil at some point, my brain keeps unfairly dismissing British tanks. (It also doesn't help that I know jack poo poo about British tanks. )

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I think I saw those are expected by summer, so probably not.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

I think I saw those are expected by summer, so probably not.

Apparently late March, but training only begins next week. https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/british-tanks-to-be-in-ukrainian-hands-by-end-of-march/

Consequently,

Libluini posted:

That would make sense, I keep forgetting the Brits wanted to send some tanks, too. Ever since I've read a story about how the UK had problems with their tanks leaking oil at some point, my brain keeps unfairly dismissing British tanks. (It also doesn't help that I know jack poo poo about British tanks. )

It’s probably the other stuff mentioned in that link, like shells and cannons, that they already know how to use. Or maybe Americans just want some Nando’s.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
All the Ukrainian refugees who have realised our country is shithole worse than a warzone and want to hitch a lift home.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/01/31/kyrylo-budanov-ukraine-intelligence-boss-interview/ Mildly cooked interview with Budanov (more of the stuff about Putin’s terminal cancer and doubles), but there are some more interesting things as well, e.g., he estimates 326k Russian soldiers to be fighting in Ukraine. I can’t seem any other recent estimates on this number.

d64
Jan 15, 2003

Saladman posted:

They said that at first, but more recently have been like you know what? Screw Sweden.

https://www.politico.eu/article/finland-join-nato-sweden-pekka-haavisto-turkey-ukraine-ankara/amp/

Which makes sense to me, as NATO is like 100x more important for them than it is for Sweden. I’d ditch Sweden too if I were Finnish right now.
I'm pretty sure Sweden being unable to join would be actually much welcomed by many Swedes, since it would again allow them to contribute less to their defense, while still being safe. It would be a lovely outcome for Finland in particular.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.hrw.org/news/2023/01/31/ukraine-banned-landmines-harm-civilians HRW has a new report, asking Ukrainian government to run an inquiry into possible use of anti-personnel mines by UAF.

quote:

(Kyiv, January 31, 2023) – Ukraine should investigate its military’s apparent use of thousands of rocket-fired antipersonnel landmines in and around the eastern city of Izium when Russian forces occupied the area, Human Rights Watch said today.

Human Rights Watch documented numerous cases in which rockets carrying PFM antipersonnel mines, also called “butterfly mines” or “petal mines,” were fired into Russian-occupied areas near Russian military facilities. Ukraine is a state party to the 1997 Mine Ban Treaty, which prohibits any use of antipersonnel mines.

Russian forces have used antipersonnel mines in multiple areas across Ukraine, including victim-activated booby traps, since its full-scale invasion of Ukraine on February 24, 2022. Human Rights Watch previously published three reports documenting Russian forces’ use of antipersonnel landmines in Ukraine in 2022.

“Ukrainian forces appear to have extensively scattered landmines around the Izium area, causing civilian casualties and posing an ongoing risk,” said Steve Goose, Arms Division director at Human Rights Watch. “Russian forces have repeatedly used antipersonnel mines and committed atrocities across the country, but this doesn’t justify Ukrainian use of these prohibited weapons.”

Fairly long piece though, will need to finish it in the evening.

In other news, Russia’s regions bordering with Ukraine will now be conducting car searches on internal border crossings. https://zona.media/chronicle/342#52281

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 31, 2023

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
TVP is already repeating the allegations of Kadyrovite sexual assault of that reporter as fact.

Kallikaa
Jun 13, 2001

d64 posted:

I'm pretty sure Sweden being unable to join would be actually much welcomed by many Swedes, since it would again allow them to contribute less to their defense, while still being safe. It would be a lovely outcome for Finland in particular.

Depends what you mean by 'many'. Latest polling about NATO, published January 25th done between Jan 19-24 , had 63% for 22% against https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/historiskt-starkt-stod-for-nato-medlemskap.

Btw the Social Democrats basically sold the turnaround on NATO with 'without membership we would have to spend even more on defense.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Fritz the Horse posted:

The source of the story is a Ukrainian telegram channel that mostly just reposts news from other places with snide comments. The original post has what they purport to be a letter about the incident from the NTV channel to the Investigative Committee.
https://t.me/rf200_nooow/15075

It was reported by reputable Ukrainian news media, but was never verified (and can't really be reliably verified, unless the alleged victims decide to speak out openly).

E: Some Russian right-wing pro-war telegram channels also amplified the story (because, you see, they don't like brown people, who are all rapists).

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 31, 2023

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.lsm.lv/raksts/zinas/arzemes/cehijas-un-serbijas-prezidenti-pauz-atbalstu-ukrainai.a494124/ Our news say that Zeman and Vucic had a joint statement in support of Ukraine, which feels like it might be missing some local political context. Anyone know more about this?

Paladinus posted:

It was reported by reputable Ukrainian news media,

From what I saw that was just Unian, out of like 5-10 Ukrainian publications I’d consider reputable.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

From what I saw that was just Unian, out of like 5-10 Ukrainian publications I’d consider reputable.

I should have probably said 'more reputable', but yes, apart from the original post there was nothing else in terms of evidence.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Nah in practice German support for Ukraine has absolutely been forthcoming, it's just under the tiresome specter of Scholtz being a stick in the mud about it as much as possible.

I guess it is possible that Germans and their tepid support for Leopards to Ukraine comes from their leader's signalling but it is possible that Scholtz understands his voter base and has his own political viability to consider. If almost 50% of his voter base is against sending tanks for whatever reason, legitimate or not, then I can understand why he would ensure that Germany is not at the forefront on handing out equipment to Ukraine.

Also it is interesting to me the split in opinion between a generic "no strings attached" support question vs a question framed with specifics. Which is not uncommon in public polling. Yng's thoughts and prayers comment comes to mind. Most Americans are for gun control, when you start specifying what measures are on the table the approval rate always drops significantly as in the German case. The public in Germany or anywhere else, does not necessarily parse these questions logically and politicians who want to stay in office always have to keep their constituents in mind (or at least what they can sell to them). So Tomm had a good point on voter sentiments potentially being a very real constraint on Scholtz whether he initially knew the underlying numbers or not.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FT has a super nice piece about manufacturing details of gear like Javelins. https://ig.ft.com/us-defence-industry/

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
To get away from tank chat a bit, France promised 12 more howitzers for Ukraine and Germany thinks about re-instating the draft.

Also, France plans to start training Ukrainian soldiers in Poland soon.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Libluini posted:

Germany thinks about re-instating the draft.

Ah yes, nothing like a draft to calm german's fears of an authoritarian Germany rising again. But sending tanks was 'too unpopular' for scholz. Wild.

Is there more to this that I am missing?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I honestly don't even know where to begin. Your premise is wildly off base, and connecting the Wehrpflicht to tanks just doesn't follow at all.

You are missing like… all of it? The entirety of the thing, is what you are missing.

If you are genuinely interested, start here, then ask: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscription_in_Germany

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

MikeC posted:

I guess it is possible that Germans and their tepid support for Leopards to Ukraine comes from their leader's signalling but it is possible that Scholtz understands his voter base and has his own political viability to consider. If almost 50% of his voter base is against sending tanks for whatever reason, legitimate or not, then I can understand why he would ensure that Germany is not at the forefront on handing out equipment to Ukraine.

Also it is interesting to me the split in opinion between a generic "no strings attached" support question vs a question framed with specifics. Which is not uncommon in public polling. Yng's thoughts and prayers comment comes to mind. Most Americans are for gun control, when you start specifying what measures are on the table the approval rate always drops significantly as in the German case. The public in Germany or anywhere else, does not necessarily parse these questions logically and politicians who want to stay in office always have to keep their constituents in mind (or at least what they can sell to them). So Tomm had a good point on voter sentiments potentially being a very real constraint on Scholtz whether he initially knew the underlying numbers or not.
IMO his dithering is part of the reason for the tepid support. I think it quite likely that support for the delivery of tanks will quickly rise. It was the same for other taboo breaks.

Dull Fork posted:

Ah yes, nothing like a draft to calm german's fears of an authoritarian Germany rising again. But sending tanks was 'too unpopular' for scholz. Wild.

Is there more to this that I am missing?
We had the draft up to about 10 years ago. Getting rid of it has been seen as one of the last worst things being done to the Bundeswehr with regards to having it be an effective force. A lot of recruitment for the Bundeswehr was done through people staying after their draft service. In addition, having a draft was actually seen as the opposite of being authoritarian, as it actually embedded the Bundeswehr more into normal society.

There was already a push towards reinstating some kind of national service, as people declining to go to the Bundeswehr used to be a good, cheap source for things like ambulance drivers, helpers in retirement homes, etc.