Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think the thing that makes the cast feel weird for me is that each country gives you a single character who will ever appear in cutscenes once the plot advances, a secondary royal who gets to be around for two or three chapters, and then just a whole slew of characters who disappear once they've been recruited. And I don't think anyone but Alear or the current plot focus actually contributes anything to the conversation, they're just kinda there.

Which I guess is the series' standard, but it feels like a change because Houses had the monthly academy chime-ins and had your house chime in sometimes for cutscenes, and the last several games had either base conversations or were much less stingy with support points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This game has base conversations

Anyway, all i'm hearing is people need to replay some old FEs

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
three houses had a lot more to its base conversations to be fair

there's just an inherent tension between a lot of the core elements of the series and the end result is always a little awkward, with permadeath leading to generally having a large cast to make characters dying at least manageable, but permadeath also means most characters can't be very directly involved in the plot at all, and a large cast means that if you don't have characters die (which most players these days almost certainly don't) then most of the cast ends up sitting on the bench a lot of the time, etc.

three houses had a very different approach there compare to pretty much every other game, which was a worthwhile experiment and had a lot going for it but could still use further iteration

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think three houses just emitted a memory wipe beam that made people forget every other game in the series tbh

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also honestly three houses had a ton of issues too. playing it actually ironman is basically impossible, the basic concept of permadeath is completely at odds with the plot as written and the game struggles to accommodate it to the point its questionable why its even a feature, recruiting students from other houses was extremely poorly balanced, the characters were technically in cutscenes but barely ever contributed anything, having the same core group of 8 students meant you had a giant pile of supports to go through every time you got back to base, if you did recruit from other houses then youd wind up with the weirdos who arent in cutscenes and two people ever support with, The Ashen Wolves, In General. theres no perfect solution

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
By "base conversation" I mean the ones in PoR/RD that were actual conversations, sometimes even related to the plot.

The characters hanging around the Somniel and talking about how it's a nice place isn't those. It's something, and I appreciate it, but it does little to flesh anyone out.

Except Zelkov's little *project* behind the training yard, that was really neat and I would love to see more of those kinds of minor things.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

By "base conversation" I mean the ones in PoR/RD that were actual conversations, sometimes even related to the plot.
i agree they need to bring those back but those are still relatively limited. most characters are only in one-two base convos the entire game. as a whole it does a good job fleshing out the cast/setting a little more but on an individual character level it doesn't really add a ton, and most of the characters who do get anything from it, like stefan, could have just had it made conditional main story dialog.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wish there was a way to track the internal levels.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

SyntheticPolygon posted:

This game has base conversations

Anyway, all i'm hearing is people need to replay some old FEs

I'd love it if there was a way to play Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn without emulating or shelling out a bunch of money for physical copies.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I mean with ten rewinds per map I feel like selecting classic mode is a bit of comedy here. I should have just done casual and finished the maps. Having something like a wounded state would suffice for this kind of game and 3h.

I did kill vander early in the game and now he's just this old retired dude that wears his armour everywhere and probably is really sad inside.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
lol they really make you work for your S rank huh

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
It's okay that the older FE games have lower deployment numbers because most of the casts are like boring supportlets. Here, the cast is cool and I hate to abandon my Clanne just because they gave me a party priest with big stats

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

JBP posted:

I mean with ten rewinds per map I feel like selecting classic mode is a bit of comedy here. I should have just done casual and finished the maps. Having something like a wounded state would suffice for this kind of game and 3h.

I did kill vander early in the game and now he's just this old retired dude that wears his armour everywhere and probably is really sad inside.

Even with time rewinding I still think Classic mode is worth it because it makes you play differently from Casual mode. With Classic mode on, you can't sacrifice a unit for short-term gain, or just keep trucking if someone dies, without permanently losing the ability to deploy them (or, for less story-focused characters, getting them actually killed). Yeah, it's less of a pain in the rear end to not lose anyone with time rewinding, but I still can't play carelessly, and I think that makes the game more fun.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you can also just, not time rewind

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah this is the first game in a while where going iron man mode actually seems like it could be fun and not awful torture so I might try that sometime.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Getting to endgame (Chapter 24) and I don’t really know what to do about with these deathbed confessions and of the Hounds. It would have been nice to have the texture about these characters earlier than seconds before their deaths.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Hmm. So if the game insists on giving me a slow trickle of Master Seals, would it be worth it to second seal a few people to a different tier 1 class to at least gain some different stats?

Keep in mind that I am using literally everyone. I need, uh, sixteen? Master Seals so far, and as of right now I have three.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I would highly recommend not second sealing anyone into a different class type until you promote them first

when you promote from a base class the game only lets you choose from a select few advanced classes based on what your base class was. If you promote first then second seal then you can go to whatever class you want from level 1 so long as you have the right weapon proficiency

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Veryslightlymad posted:

Hmm. So if the game insists on giving me a slow trickle of Master Seals, would it be worth it to second seal a few people to a different tier 1 class to at least gain some different stats?

Keep in mind that I am using literally everyone. I need, uh, sixteen? Master Seals so far, and as of right now I have three.

Honestly, I would temporarily bench a few of them rather than second sealing them, or just keep them in their base class for a while longer. Once you advance seal them it’s not too hard to level them up with training skirmishes and arena fights

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
why is the SP costs so steep? (and gain rate rather low) Like two lv18 bond skills would run close to 4-6k points. I'm at chapter 15, and my highest is around 1600-1700, but everyone is more around the 800-1100 mark.
It be a lot funner if the SP was used as a 'equip budget' where you can use 500 to use a lower inherited skill in place till you reach higher levels, but it looks like buying a skill is permanent and the SP is gone forever, so it discourages using any of it till mid-late game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the 4k-6k bond skills are mostly pretty bad

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
When you equip an emblem do you gain the stat bonuses and skills like lance avoid, or do you have to inherit any skill that isn't an overlap skill to get that bonus?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
What is the deal with the cracked mages in Sigurd's prologue

Are they nods to Ishtar and Julius or something

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GateOfD posted:

why is the SP costs so steep? (and gain rate rather low) Like two lv18 bond skills would run close to 4-6k points. I'm at chapter 15, and my highest is around 1600-1700, but everyone is more around the 800-1100 mark.
It be a lot funner if the SP was used as a 'equip budget' where you can use 500 to use a lower inherited skill in place till you reach higher levels, but it looks like buying a skill is permanent and the SP is gone forever, so it discourages using any of it till mid-late game.

The basic idea I think is that the super expensive skills aren’t meant to be inherited on a normal playthrough. Once you finish the game you can get SP books that give up to 1000 each from the Tower of Trials. I think those 4k+ skills are just meant for people setting up crazy teams for Outrealm Trials or whatever.

One help is that upgraded versions of skills are discounted if you buy the earlier ranks. For example, Canter+ is normally 2000, but buying regular Canter for 1000 is counted towards that, so upgrading to Canter+ is just another 1000. That means if you’re aiming for a + skill it’s never a waste to buy the earlier rank when you can afford it.

I do wish there was a respec option though. I have at least one character that I’d love to have another chance to spend their SP better.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

inthesto posted:

What is the deal with the cracked mages in Sigurd's prologue

Are they nods to Ishtar and Julius or something

yep

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Harrow posted:

The basic idea I think is that the super expensive skills aren’t meant to be inherited on a normal playthrough. Once you finish the game you can get SP books that give up to 1000 each from the Tower of Trials. I think those 4k+ skills are just meant for people setting up crazy teams for Outrealm Trials or whatever.

One help is that upgraded versions of skills are discounted if you buy the earlier ranks. For example, Canter+ is normally 2000, but buying regular Canter for 1000 is counted towards that, so upgrading to Canter+ is just another 1000. That means if you’re aiming for a + skill it’s never a waste to buy the earlier rank when you can afford it.

I do wish there was a respec option though. I have at least one character that I’d love to have another chance to spend their SP better.

okay, didn't know about the SP books in postgame. Though I feel I won't have any interest in that. I have zero interest in the PvP online stuff too.
upgraded version being discounted is good to know. I used 1000 to give Louis resolve, and planning on giving Alacrity to someone else, so its good to know if I want a higher alacruity, it can be slotted in easier.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Reik posted:

When you equip an emblem do you gain the stat bonuses and skills like lance avoid, or do you have to inherit any skill that isn't an overlap skill to get that bonus?

You do not, you have to inherit anything that isn't a synch skill (the ones with the overlap note) to see any effect from those.

However emblems also give stat boosts for just being equipped, which increase with bond level. So you don't get any effect from unlocking Lyn's +speed skills, but Lyn herself gives a speed bonus, which will gladly stack with the +speed skills if you'd like.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Harrow posted:

Even with time rewinding I still think Classic mode is worth it because it makes you play differently from Casual mode. With Classic mode on, you can't sacrifice a unit for short-term gain, or just keep trucking if someone dies, without permanently losing the ability to deploy them (or, for less story-focused characters, getting them actually killed). Yeah, it's less of a pain in the rear end to not lose anyone with time rewinding, but I still can't play carelessly, and I think that makes the game more fun.

Yeah. Even if you play the game in a way where you never, ever let anyone die, Classic plays enormously differently than Casual because of this fact. You can't delay a wave of reinforcements by having someone make a suicide stand and you can't throw people at bosses carelessly to chip them down - you lose a lot of very powerful tactical options by simply saying "i can't end the stage with anyone dead".

Time rewinds are almost entirely a time-saving tool. As you figure out the flow of a map, you learn the rough outline of how you need to take your turns and move your units to beat it. In older games, someone eating poo poo to a bad move meant restarting and re-inputting your steps in almost the exact same way to reach the point where you hosed up; now they just save you 10-30 minutes of time with the rewind feature for functionally the same result. The overarching "i can't end the stage with anyone dead" pressure is still present, you just cut out a lot of the punitive time-waster penalty for a play mistake.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 31, 2023

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I like the turnwheel too, but it’s not like the game doesn’t lose anything for its presence. It adds tension to a game when progress can be lost with a single mistake, and that tension heightens the emotions one feels as they play the game. Games with rewind simply can’t evoke the deep anxiety, relief, despair, or triumph that the older Fire Emblems conjured.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I do think being able to rewind enables playing a bit riskier, though not to nearly the same degree as Casual mode. There are definitely times where I will gamble on an 80% hit chance when the counter attack would kill the character. Without rewinding I would probably try to find a different way to handle that situation most of the time. I am kinda surprised that Maddening doesn't reduce the number of charges you get per map, because 10 is quite a lot.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Eh, it’s still worth having Classic because you have to play less sloppy, but there’s definitely a degree to which you can just wing it that isn’t there even on easier entries in the older games. That said, no one makes you use it, and also beyond the obvious perk of accessibility to new players Engage would be a worse game without it because you can just get blasted with a combo you didn’t fully process like the Chapter 10’s boss being able to do 40% of your health before he even does his normal attack.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Last Celebration posted:

Eh, it’s still worth having Classic because you have to play less sloppy, but there’s definitely a degree to which you can just wing it that isn’t there even on easier entries in the older games. That said, no one makes you use it, and also beyond the obvious perk of accessibility to new players Engage would be a worse game without it because you can just get blasted with a combo you didn’t fully process like the Chapter 10’s boss being able to do 40% of your health before he even does his normal attack.

This is true— playing Conquest could be a brutal and stressful experience for this very reason.

I think if I were designing Engage I’d give the player 3 rewinds on Hard and 1 on Maddening, probably with an option to get infinite instead of the player wanted.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I’m tempted to try Halberdier Jean, but build is going to be a huge issue as Lance Knight don’t get Build growths at all.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
If Conquest Lunatic had time rewind and no other changes it probably would have a very different reputation.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Do you keep the experience you earn in the tempest trial battle itself or only the bonus experience from completing the trial stage?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I feel like the combination of 10 rewinds per battle + the engage mechanic combine to become a bit of an Exodia, Obliterate!! simulator to me. Like I find myself fishing for the right setup to completely annihilate stage bosses. It feels very different from pre-Three Houses to me. Like in Fates, I felt like a lot of the tension came from wanting to keep my squad alive while still letting vulnerable units get the EXP they needed. So like, very survival-oriented gameplay for me.

Engage feels like the opposite, where Engage powers are so busted and godlike that it's more about taking the biggest play possible without loving up the execution.

I'm not sure if it's necessarily my particular vibe for a tactical RPG--I really like the "your soldiers aren't special except for the fact that they're people" angle of the older games. But it's definitely well-executed from a gameplay perspective, and I think the map design has been quite good so far.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
I mostly end up burning a bunch of rewinds on pointless nonsense anyway for kicks, personally.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

By god I will eke out as much exp out of a boss as possible, and rewinds let me do it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Rewinds is so I can burn 3 charges after I keep forgetting left Louis in range of the boss with the Flame Lance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What's the best way to get Anna tome proficiency to reclass into mage