Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Violet is helped massively by not having an ugly stripe pattern on its pants, unlike Scarlet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
It compensates for the fugly pants with Caveman Pokemons. Paldea certainly is a land of contrasts!

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

wizard2 posted:

It compensates for the fugly pants with Caveman Pokemons. Paldea certainly is a land of contrasts!
On the other hand, I got good shorts and a robot penguin santa (and a pistol shrimp with an oversized claw), so not gonna lie I'm feeling pretty good.

Speaking of robot penguin santa, so it turns out beating the Academy Ace Tournament also confers Champion Ribbons, so I get to update my spreadsheet for the team I built for the gym refights and the first time through the tournament...

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jan 31, 2023

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Used Kingambit for the Greninja event. Soloed them with this build:

IVs: Perfect Atk
EVs: 252 Atk EVs, a mix of HP and Special Defense EVs as needed to survive multiple Hydro Pumps w/ Shell Bell
Tera Type: Dark
Moves needed: Kowtow Cleave, Swords Dance
Held Item Needed: Shell Bell

Use Swords Dance once, then Kowtow Cleave to ready your Terastalization

Do not Terastalize yet; continue to use Kowtow Cleave, even after Greninja strips your buffs, all the way until he kills you for the first time.

Use Hang Tough! upon coming back, then Swords Dance x3.

Once you've maxed out your attack, Terastalize and Kowtow Cleave for the remainder of the match. The max Atk boost Tera Kowtow Cleaves will tear through his health even through the barrier and allow your own health (due to Shell Bell) to keep up with Greninja's powerful attacks, and you'll be able to kill him with time to spare even after your first death.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

indigi posted:

when they expand the dex showing up to a ditto raid with Shedinja

lol can you imagine Shedinja with tera types?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Muscle Tracer posted:

lol can you imagine Shedinja with tera types?

Air Balloon Tera-Electric Shedinja is exhibit A in "they are not bringing this over to S/V no matter what". And that's even before you get into the clone detection issues the evolutionary line has in Home.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

Zonekeeper posted:

Air Balloon Tera-Electric Shedinja is exhibit A in "they are not bringing this over to S/V no matter what". And that's even before you get into the clone detection issues the evolutionary line has in Home.

God that's a horrifying thought. If it manages to Tera while the Air Balloon is still intact I think you can only kill it with:

* Poison
* Confusion damage
* Any damaging attack from a Mold Breaker, Turboblaze, or Teravolt Pokemon
* Sandstorm chip

and the poison or confusion have to come from a move that directly inflicts them (Toxic, Poison Powder, Confuse Ray, etc) rather than as a secondary effect or via Toxic Spikes. Effect Spore would also work, but lol you rolled Paralyze instead gtfo.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

fatsleepycat posted:

God that's a horrifying thought. If it manages to Tera while the Air Balloon is still intact I think you can only kill it with:

* Poison
* Confusion damage
* Sandstorm chip

and the poison or confusion have to come from a move that directly inflicts them (Toxic, Poison Powder, Confuse Ray, etc) rather than as a secondary effect or via Toxic Spikes. Effect Spore would also work, but lol you rolled Paralyze instead gtfo.
Poison Point or Flame Body offer more reliable alternatives to Effect Spore here I feel.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

fatsleepycat posted:

* Poison
* Confusion damage
* Sandstorm chip

Burn from Will-o-Wisp?

Honestly it sounds kinda neat to have a threat on the board that forces respect for it with needing to pack moves or abilities that bypass Wonder Guard.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Such a Pokemon in the current format would be too over-centralizing (everyone would want this guy on their team and in turn everyone would have to have tools to answer it) which is most likely why its left out for this generation.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Warmachine posted:

Burn from Will-o-Wisp?

If you're immune to Ghost moves, you're immune to Will-o-Wisp.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I'm glad Murkrow seems to be finally fading out of the meta. It's boring when everyone does one thing. I've never paid close attention to VGC before and it's fascinating watching how things change as folk figure out countermoves to various strong strategies.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I've seen electric tera type shedinja with air balloon in showdown. It's an absolute horror show especially because it can learn sunny day. It's an incredibly specific set of moves that can do it damage and even then there's no real guarantees. Now that i think about it they had a teammate set up substitute before switching in so it was as close to invincible as one can possibly get.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 1, 2023

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

HopperUK posted:

I'm glad Murkrow seems to be finally fading out of the meta. It's boring when everyone does one thing. I've never paid close attention to VGC before and it's fascinating watching how things change as folk figure out countermoves to various strong strategies.

It's disappointing when one thing becomes ubiquitous, but I think it's hilarious that said thing was Murkrow. The most unsuspecting Pokemon to suddenly become hugely meta-defining.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

murkrow is the #1 pokemon

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

oddium posted:

murkrow is the #1 pokemon

this but unironically

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
:hmmyes:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

A murder of murkrow

It's like Little Lamplight, if you grow up into a Honchkrow, you get kicked out of the cool bird club

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Murkrow won the last Series 1 regional, it can be pretty proud.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's incredibly funny Honchkrow loses Prankster for Moxie what a dope

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Tera Shedninja was available in simulators and it very quickly got banned, not just because of air balloon electric (with shed tail subs for status move immunity) but because it can be ground or steel or water or w/e (with boots or safety goggles for more immunities) and the opponent might only have 1 or 2 mons on their team that can do anything to stop it and they won't know what those mons are until it's too late.

HopperUK posted:

Dondozo is the actual villain of VGC and Murkrow was a brave hero helping fight back against the fat fishy menace.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Darox posted:

Tera Shedninja was available in simulators and it very quickly got banned, not just because of air balloon electric (with shed tail subs for status move immunity) but because it can be ground or steel or water or w/e (with boots or safety goggles for more immunities) and the opponent might only have 1 or 2 mons on their team that can do anything to stop it and they won't know what those mons are until it's too late.

Dondozo is the actual villain of VGC and Murkrow was a brave hero helping fight back against the fat fishy menace.

Wonder Guard would be a broken rear end ability on practically anything else. Once you give the bug the ability to start mitigating weaknesses it literally becomes a God.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Flopsy posted:

Wonder Guard would be a broken rear end ability on practically anything else. Once you give the bug the ability to start mitigating weaknesses it literally becomes a God.
I extremely wish that Heavy Duty Boots had been a thing in Gen 6 though, given how my plan against Steven in AS hinged on using OneHitWonder the Shedinja against his Mega Metagross, and then his Skarmory opened with Spikes, which turns out Shedinja is not immune to :geno:

(e: ok yes in hindsight an Air Balloon would also have worked)

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Feb 1, 2023

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Saagonsa posted:

Violet is helped massively by not having an ugly stripe pattern on its pants, unlike Scarlet.

Both uniforms are completely hideous. I can't believe this game sold hjowever many millions of copies and every single person playing it has to look at those awful clothes.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Flopsy posted:

Yeah there's no way Shedinja would be allowed in as is. And if would be allowed in, they would nerf the hell out of Wonder Guard so Tera wouldn't shatter the game.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If Shedinja is ever added to S/V I think mostly likely either Terastylizing would disable Wonder guard, or it simply wouldn't be able to Terastylize at all.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The tiny animations in this game are so good. I just had a lechonk watching me catch venonat in my Scarlet game and it was reacting by flinching, covering its eyes with its ears, and then uncovering just one eye to peek out and see what was happening. :kimchi:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

HopperUK posted:

The tiny animations in this game are so good. I just had a lechonk watching me catch venonat in my Scarlet game and it was reacting by flinching, covering its eyes with its ears, and then uncovering just one eye to peek out and see what was happening. :kimchi:

My favourite is Chansey in one of the classrooms and Nemona's house. It occasionally takes its egg out of its pouch and gives it a hug

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Hammerite posted:

My favourite is Chansey in one of the classrooms and Nemona's house. It occasionally takes its egg out of its pouch and gives it a hug

Oh my god what :3: this goddamn game

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey so I've really enjoyed doing the ranked doubles battles but I started noticing that I'm stuck in just the one arena for pokebattles, am I just having like really bad luck or is there a setting that will let these fights be in other arenas?

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think ranked is always in one arena in every game. So this one is always going to be that school yard.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hrist posted:

I think ranked is always in one arena in every game. So this one is always going to be that school yard.

Well thats................really stupid.

Like I've enjoyed the game, but man I want to go to some of the different arenas when I climb the ranking chart. Oh well thanks for letting me know.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Araxxor posted:

Yeah there's no way Shedinja would be allowed in as is. And if would be allowed in, they would nerf the hell out of Wonder Guard so Tera wouldn't shatter the game.

Tera is probably why they nerfed Protean and Libero to begin with tbh.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Flopsy posted:

Tera is probably why they nerfed Protean and Libero to begin with tbh.

I would also hazard the guess that it was more due to programming issues with constant overwrite attempts than anything to do with power level. :v:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Zonekeeper posted:

Dexit was created for the sole purpose of being able to contain Shedinja while still letting GameFreak experiment with different ways to spice up battling. :tinfoil:

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Folt The Bolt posted:

Dexit was created for the sole purpose of being able to contain Shedinja while still letting GameFreak experiment with different ways to spice up battling. :tinfoil:

For Sword and Shield, they didn't allow Slaking to to be Galar since Weezing (both regular and Galarian) was given an ability that cancels other abilities, and the one Switch game where they both usable in, it doesn't have an active online competitive feature.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Do we know what Home Points will covert to in Scarlet/Violet? LP?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lux Animus posted:

Greninja Raid event ended!

My personal best "score" based on time spent in the raid, achieved on Friday night:

drat I forgot completely aabout this event.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

wizard2 posted:

Do we know what Home Points will covert to in Scarlet/Violet? LP?

I wasn't entirely sure myself but LP seems to be the most likely points system for Scarlet and Violet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Rick posted:

drat I forgot completely aabout this event.

Dude don't worry about it, just come back round in the spring and you'll have a hoard of froakies, scorbunnies and whatever the hell else coming your way.