Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sakurazuka posted:

drat Dead Space doing well

Actually those are literal placeholders soon to be filled with more deluxe editions of Hogwart's Legacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
they should make rock band again

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

they should make rock band again

They tried a couple of years ago and literally no one bought it

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I would have bought it but all my plastic instruments were for the xbox 360 and now i have a playstation :(

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I bought it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hi-Fi Rush 2 except now all the characters form a 4pc group with rock band instruments.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like it even though I think it would be fine to just update the first game so it runs at modern framerates.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Exactly :twisted:

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Vermain posted:

https://twitter.com/BenjiSales/status/1619730479623831554

honestly, even being in the top 10 is a pretty good achievement on its own for a shadow dropped title with zero marketing

I'm seeing double, four Dead Space!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sakurazuka posted:

drat Dead Space doing well

It's no.1 this week:

https://store.steampowered.com/charts/topsellers/US/2023-1-24

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Question for people playing Dead Space: did you play it the first time around and really liked it and want to revisit or are you playing it as something you missed years ago?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Question for people playing Dead Space: did you play it the first time around and really liked it and want to revisit or are you playing it as something you missed years ago?

i played dead space 1 about 3 or 4 years back and loved it, so i picked DSR up mostly on the strength of the presentation and fond memories of the original

i'd say it's probably the definitive edition of the game now and is well worth a pickup if you never played the original

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I played the original but not since the era it came out, so it's been long enough that my memories of it are hazy and the remake changing stuff around is not helping

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Love horror games, so the former!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The OG Dead Space is now called Dead Space (2008) on Steam. A reverse Doom (2016)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i tried dead space on someones xbox when it first came out and it didn't seem very good, like they were teasing me with a system shock but it was just gears of war with stomping and jump scares

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Dead Space: Part 1

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Khanstant posted:

i tried dead space on someones xbox when it first came out and it didn't seem very good, like they were teasing me with a system shock but it was just gears of war with stomping and jump scares

the stomping is good as hell though

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Played OG multiple times across multiple uears when it came out on PC finally. Game was good back then with some rough patches, DSR is amazing in every way.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

The former, I tried playing it again but I don't have my PC set up and don't want to deal with XBOX 360 framerates on a shooter

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I still have my Xbox 360, Wii, PS3, and Wii U in storage boxes under my bed, along with all the physical games

Every so often I think about what would be a good way to get rid of them that isn't just trash, because they take up quite a bit of space and I'm realistically never going to hook them back up

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

mutata posted:

Ok, but then they drew the conclusion "therefore games don't need to cost $70", which may be true, but I don't see how his evidence is related to that in any way. Devs and publishers get paid for their games being on Game Pass, right? So what if it's selling well on Steam? It's a good game. Is it only selling well because it's $40? They're selling X number of units at $40, but how much revenue are they making? What of that is profit? Is $40 sustainable for the cost of production or are they selling at a loss? Does revenue from game pass not count? I honestly do not see the connection, sorry. I could just be dumb, though!
No, obviously revenue from Game Pass does not factor into Steam's top sellers metrics. Aside from that, I don't know what any of that other stuff has to do with anything. What does "Is it only selling well because it's $40" mean? Yes, obviously, more people are buying it at $40 than would buy it at $70. As far as "is $40 sustainable for the cost of production or are they selling at a loss" the amount of money they make per unit is completely irrelevant. The only thing that matters is the total revenue, and that question is answered by the fact that it's in the top sellers by revenue alongside AAA budget games, despite not being a AAA budget game (high revenue + lower expenses = more profit).

The point of the tweet is that Hi-Fi Rush has delivered a smashing success while charging less and still managing to crack the top 10 sellers by revenue on Steam even though the game is also available on Game Pass. It is a blow to the notion pushed by large publishers that $70 is the lowest possible competitive price for a mainstream hit video game by a major studio. It turns out it's possible to be competitive without charging more money. That's it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

haveblue posted:

I still have my Xbox 360, Wii, PS3, and Wii U in storage boxes under my bed, along with all the physical games

Every so often I think about what would be a good way to get rid of them that isn't just trash, because they take up quite a bit of space and I'm realistically never going to hook them back up

Thrift store op.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Thrift store op.

How soon we all forget Macklemore's classic song

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Volte posted:

No, obviously revenue from Game Pass does not factor into Steam's top sellers metrics. Aside from that, I don't know what any of that other stuff has to do with anything. What does "Is it only selling well because it's $40" mean? Yes, obviously, more people are buying it at $40 than would buy it at $70. As far as "is $40 sustainable for the cost of production or are they selling at a loss" the amount of money they make per unit is completely irrelevant. The only thing that matters is the total revenue, and that question is answered by the fact that it's in the top sellers by revenue alongside AAA budget games, despite not being a AAA budget game (high revenue + lower expenses = more profit).

The point of the tweet is that Hi-Fi Rush has delivered a smashing success while charging less and still managing to crack the top 10 sellers by revenue on Steam even though the game is also available on Game Pass. It is a blow to the notion pushed by large publishers that $70 is the lowest possible competitive price for a mainstream hit video game by a major studio. It turns out it's possible to be competitive without charging more money. That's it.

I do not think Hi Fi Rush is showing that at all, and there are many other factors at play. The original tweet is reductive and hyperbolic, but I'm obviously in the minority (again) on this one so nevermind!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Doesn't Dead Space, a $60 game on Steam, outselling Hi-Fi Rush, disprove that tweeter's theory?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1620460113751597057?t=ir8iaEBsq64FZ32UvmRuzQ&s=19

drat nobody liked our live service Halo. We should focus even more on multiplayer.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Volte posted:

The only thing that matters is the total revenue, and that question is answered by the fact that it's in the top sellers by revenue alongside AAA budget games, despite not being a AAA budget game (high revenue + lower expenses = more profit).

I mean the same publisher that set Hi-Fi's price, said that their big games will have to be $70 going forward. I don't think you can draw too many conclusions from one smaller game making money at a lower price point.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1620460113751597057?t=ir8iaEBsq64FZ32UvmRuzQ&s=19

drat nobody liked our live service Halo. We should focus even more on multiplayer.

I think focusing on multiplayer is not a bad idea for Halo the problem is launching a "live service" multiplayer game and going like a year without significant updates or features.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Really hope they completely ignore Dead Space 2 when they eventually get around to making Dead Space 2

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Waffleman_ posted:

It's always been the only worthwhile thing about Halo

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

bone emulator posted:

Really hope they completely ignore Dead Space 2 when they eventually get around to making Dead Space 2

unless i'm misunderstanding your sentiment, it's pretty rare to see people disliking ds2

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Infinite is really sad because there is clearly the skeleton of a perfectly good online shooter there but they launched it with zero support as a "live service" game and lol.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

bone emulator posted:

Dead Space 2 is epic.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mad Wack posted:

i was legit shocked how bad these games are after they were the darling of the VN thread, poorly translated completely up its own rear end writing and nonsensical story - i feel like you have to have terminal VN brain to enjoy them
finally, a second member of the Umineko Haters Squad

welcome

it's a very tedious read

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I've been working on customizing my Playnite installation with additional features (e.g. filter by button prompts/DualShock 4 support, whether there's haptic feedback and whether XInput is required for it, screenshots for games that are old enough you can't see the graphics on the cover art, four tiers of system requirements) to an absurd degree. I also added bookmarks (mostly with no installation data) for all the games I liked that I could find up-front so that I can filter by all the categories and tags I added

https://imgur.com/a/Y6VfE7i

I made a readme file to keep track of all the features I added: https://pastebin.com/nuUkQtUP

Maybe I could release it as a distribution under some name like Frostbite

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 31, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Dead Space 2 is epic.

peak 7th gen

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

galenanorth posted:

I've been working on customizing my Playnite installation with additional features (e.g. filter by button prompts/DualShock 4 support, whether there's haptic feedback and whether XInput is required for it, screenshots for games that are old enough you can't see the graphics on the cover art) to an absurd degree. I also added bookmarks (mostly with no installation data) for all the games I liked that I could find up-front so that I can filter by all the categories and tags I added

https://imgur.com/a/Y6VfE7i

That's neat. I usually just use it to check my non-steam libraries. I appreciate how fast it is.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Rinkles posted:

unless i'm misunderstanding your sentiment, it's pretty rare to see people disliking ds2

I liked DS2, I just want them to go in a different direction with the story.

edit: lol sry im an idiot I was thinking of DS3...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011