Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

Antoine Fuqua is directing a Michael Jackson biopic where Michael will be played by his nephew, Jaafar Jackson. Needless to say, expect zero nuance or anything that would paint Michael in a bad light. At most there will be some lip service paid to how Joe Jackson was not a good father.

Are they going to use special effects to change his face? Feels like they had to wait for the technology to exist to tell the story correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Release the Urban Myths episode cowards

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Asterite34 posted:

He also co-wrote, co-produced and directed Staying Alive, so I'd say on average he's a genius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtOxtpIHl8U

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The cool new trend of not releasing finished movies continues at Netflix is not releasing The Inheritance and House/Wife. No word on why and the creators are shopping them around to other streamers.

quote:

The Inheritance takes place on the eve of billionaire Charles Abernathy 75th birthday when, according to the project’s description, “he invites his four estranged children back home out of fear that tonight someone — or something — is coming to kill him. To ensure his family will help protect him from whatever’s coming, Abernathy puts each of their inheritances on the line — they’ll get nothing if he’s found dead by dawn.” Joe Russo and Chris LaMont penned the movie, which stars Bob Gunton, Peyton List, Austin Stowell, Briana Middleton, David Walton and Rachel Nichols. (Nichols was previously married to Netflix film head Scott Stuber.)

House/Wife follows, as the logline reads, “a mother recovering from a brutal accident moves into a prototype smart home with her family, only to find the house’s AI system may have sinister intentions.” Anna Halberg and Spenser Cohen penned the screenplay for the film, which stars Alice Braga, Kris Holden-Ried and Sarah Gadon.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/netflix-offloads-inheritance-house-wife-1235310514/

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Tars Tarkas posted:

The cool new trend of not releasing finished movies continues at Netflix is not releasing The Inheritance and House/Wife. No word on why and the creators are shopping them around to other streamers.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/netflix-offloads-inheritance-house-wife-1235310514/

Finally the Smart House remake we have been waiting for.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Stallone wrote Rocky, choosing him as a dumb guy doesn’t really work.

I'm just saying, the guy has a huge IQ.

He also did COBRA.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Finally the Smart House remake we have been waiting for.

Hous3

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New Transformers movie villain has a MF DOOM face.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Stallone wrote Rocky, choosing him as a dumb guy doesn’t really work.

Who do you guys think invented Paulie's robot?

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

The MSJ posted:

New Transformers movie villain has a MF DOOM face.

End of the movie and they pull off the mask to reveal it's an impostor and the real DOOM is still out there

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm just saying, the guy has a huge IQ.

He also did COBRA.

I'm still mad we'll never see the like three hour version of it he wanted to release but always elated that when it was hacked down to 84 minutes everyone clearly agreed that the robot fashion show and the "your burger's ready" gag with the giant fake burger must stay.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
https://mobile.twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1620424715017019395

Bobby Z doing what Bobby Z does

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

They should use the Tom Hanks de-aging technology to remake Mazes and Monsters.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Robert Zemeckis really must be stopped. We should collectively put him in some sort of facility after The Polar Express.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Robert Zemeckis really must be stopped. We should collectively put him in some sort of facility after The Polar Express.

Thanks to my idiotic initial parsing of that second sentence, I'm now picturing Zemeckis imprisoned aboard the Snowpiercer.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Back to the Future basically gives him a pass for life

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Zemeckis has to fail so that James Cameron can take notes on what not to do with new technology, then construct his own superior tech and succeed.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

How the heck did The Polar Express become a holiday classic? Tom Hanks in that looks like he stepped out of the deepest uncanny valley from the pits of hell

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

IS Polar Express a "holiday classic"? I have never heard it referred to in a positive way. Hell, even that latest Chip and Dale movie made fun of it!

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

AceOfFlames posted:

IS Polar Express a "holiday classic"? I have never heard it referred to in a positive way. Hell, even that latest Chip and Dale movie made fun of it!

The entirety of Polar Express looks like a horror film shot in the Uncanny Valley, but I watched most of it with a group of kids and they seemed to take it at face value. I can’t chalk that up to nostalgia, maybe I’ve just seen so many movies that I’m experientially broken compared to how target audiences watch films.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 31, 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Feldegast42 posted:

How the heck did The Polar Express become a holiday classic? Tom Hanks in that looks like he stepped out of the deepest uncanny valley from the pits of hell

I haven't seen a single frame of that movie in about 15 years - holiday classic?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s memed by the zoomers but idk if they like it lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BeV2lKSyXU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I know 15 years ago it played on loop during the holiday season at the Brookstone across from my service desk. That or Jim Carreys version of Grinch Who Stole Christmas.

Rest of the year it cycled through all three Spider-men movies and both Cars movies.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

It’s a standard “play it in class the week before Christmas break” movie. I’ve never seen it but both my kids have

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Has Zemeckis ever met Hideo Kojima?

CelticPredator posted:

It’s memed by the zoomers but idk if they like it lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BeV2lKSyXU

It's very much something that they grew up on because of easy availability and that's the whole reason why they're nostalgic for it. It's their "A Christmas Story", where it's beloved by Gen Xers because they saw it on HBO growing up, but Millennials got oversaturated on it via TBS so they hate it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jesus Christ someone please stop this man

He keeps making films with weird CGI poo poo in them that haven’t made any money in ages, why does he keep getting projects funded?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Jesus Christ someone please stop this man

He keeps making films with weird CGI poo poo in them that haven’t made any money in ages, why does he keep getting projects funded?

Govt funded to keep improving the tech until it passes public scrutiny so they know it'll work in blackops situations :tinfoil:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

Govt funded to keep improving the tech until it passes public scrutiny so they know it'll work in blackops situations :tinfoil:

Tom Hanks secretly wants to become the last living actor so he will support all technology that aids that goal.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I'm astonished anyone, let alone Zemeckis, could come back from Welcome to Marwen.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

As an EU citizen opposed to tyranny, I found myself challenged knowing someone got away with producing Mars Needs Moms.

At the very least, Tom Hooper belongs in a gulag for Cats.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 31, 2023

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Zemeckis became obsessed with technology and forgot how to make a good movie a long time ago. And even then, Forrest Gump gave boomers the feeling that they had been absolved of all their bullshit.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

AceOfFlames posted:

Tom Hanks secretly wants to become the last living actor so he will support all technology that aids that goal.

It's a desperate attempt to make movie goers have no choice but to watch him piss.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

As an EU citizen opposed to tyranny, I found myself challenged knowing someone got away with producing Mars Needs Moms.

At the very least, Tom Hooper belongs in a gulag for Cats.
Mars Needs Moms lost a ton of money, but then he also did Welcome to Marwen and somehow keeps getting money to make more poo poo

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
And after Marwen he did that Witches remake that people didn't care about which made no money and that critically reviled straight-to-streaming Pinnochio reboot for Disney

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

AceOfFlames posted:

I see no problem with this

High Warlord Zog posted:

And after Marwen he did that Witches remake that people didn't care about which made no money and that critically reviled straight-to-streaming Pinnochio reboot for Disney

Misread this as "straight-to-steaming" 💩

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

AceOfFlames posted:

It's either him or Robin Wright

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1821641/

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

High Warlord Zog posted:

sounds like the standard path for once-beloved directors. The critical step downward between "making original flops" and "not making anything" is "make a big budget flop"

see also colin treverrow

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Zemekis has been making flops for longer than the time he made good movies. Studios just keep giving him money, he gives them a bomb in return, and then they hand him another bag of cash to do it again. He just perseveres. It's kinda admirable.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Zemekis has been making flops for longer than the time he made good movies. Studios just keep giving him money, he gives them a bomb in return, and then they hand him another bag of cash to do it again. He just perseveres. It's kinda admirable.
Looking at his IMDB, Cast Away was his last really good film, in 2000. I think the next best would be Flight, which is a very odd movie. It wants to be serious but there are a lot of comedy parts that I feel like tonally don't gel with the story they are trying to tell about a guy who has a serious substance abuse problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

BTTF franchise has printed so much money over the years he probably gets a free pass until he dies.