Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
So this thing kinda bothers me since I would think there would be some blood at the crime scene or the van?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OddObserver posted:

So this thing kinda bothers me since I would think there would be some blood at the crime scene or the van?

Unless the costume lining kept the blood from spilling out, but considering they had to change his costume post-mortem that is indeed strange.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
They may have had a drop cloth or tarp in the van that the body was on the whole time. Then that was also incinerated. Sal probably knows a lot about cleaning up excess unwanted bodily fluids.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

achtungnight posted:

They may have had a drop cloth or tarp in the van that the body was on the whole time. Then that was also incinerated. Sal probably knows a lot about cleaning up excess unwanted bodily fluids.

You know, I don't think he actually bothers with that.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Well then, maybe someone who has to put up with Sal regularly such as Diva has acquired such expertise.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Where was the steel samurai costume during all of this? I would think it would have absorbed a lot of the blood and maybe have been incinerated as a result, but then it would have been hard to say WP was the killer if the costume was missing.

And even if it was available and not covered in blood, who did the patch job to fix the hole in the chest?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, we don't know where the Steel Samurai costume is yet, and it's the third day of trial so unless it comes up in the proceedings today it's unlikely we're going to find it. There seems to be a good chance that it's been incinerated, though. And I don't know how much framing WP actually matters, per se, it seems like this set-up was more to create an alibi for the producer who's the studio bigwigs' darling (and also probably has dirt on a few of them through her "mafia" connections).

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

And I don't know how much framing WP actually matters, per se, it seems like this set-up was more to create an alibi for the producer who's the studio bigwigs' darling (and also probably has dirt on a few of them through her "mafia" connections).
The whole frame job seems kinda weird/pointless.

Dee already had success disappearing a body from the death fence, and had goons at the ready to dispose of Phoenix and Maya.

"High profile murder at TV studio" also seems worse for her reputation than "TV star vanishes mysteriously"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Foxfire_ posted:

Dee already had success disappearing a body from the death fence, and had goons at the ready to dispose of Phoenix and Maya.

"High profile murder at TV studio" also seems worse for her reputation than "TV star vanishes mysteriously"

They were planning on canceling the show anyway, maybe she thought this would make dropping it easier?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Foxfire_ posted:

I dunno, maybe she couldn't "disappear" the body in time to avoid notice from the others at the studio? And I can't imagine Oldbag staying quiet about the death of her heartthrob for any amount of bonus pay. Also have to wonder how many Yakuza goons she had sitting in on that meeting.

Or maybe she panicked after the act and did the setup in the heat of the moment?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Commander Keene posted:

I dunno, maybe she couldn't "disappear" the body in time to avoid notice from the others at the studio? And I can't imagine Oldbag staying quiet about the death of her heartthrob for any amount of bonus pay. Also have to wonder how many Yakuza goons she had sitting in on that meeting.

Or maybe she panicked after the act and did the setup in the heat of the moment?
Honestly, she probably shouldn't have done anything. She could have just left the body where it lie, claim that she did it in self-defence and...not been charged with murder? Because it was self-defence, and there's a ton of evidence that Hammer was attempting a premeditated murder. That said she was probably panicking super hard at the whole thing - her emotional response when the guy Hammer killed was brought up (as well as how she clearly holds a grudge against him over it) suggests that it's still pretty raw even all these years later, and seeing Hammer die at her hands in the exact same manner probably meant she wasn't doing any rational thinking at all after his death.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

GilliamYaeger posted:

Honestly, she probably shouldn't have done anything. She could have just left the body where it lie, claim that she did it in self-defence and...not been charged with murder? Because it was self-defence, and there's a ton of evidence that Hammer was attempting a premeditated murder. That said she was probably panicking super hard at the whole thing - her emotional response when the guy Hammer killed was brought up suggests that it's still pretty raw even all these years later, and seeing Hammer die at her hands in the exact same manner probably meant she wasn't doing any rational thinking at all after his death.

As a rule, people with connections to organized crime don't want a lot of scrutiny from the police, and attracting too much of it might be damaging to her relationship with her... associates.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yeah, this has all the signs of a rushed panic job. Diva has at least four goons, but they may not have all been present at the time of the incident. Framing WP seems easier than making Hammer’s body just vanish, especially with Oldbag on security. And Hammer did give them an easy patsy with his rivalry with WP and drugging him.

A bigger question- why did Hammer drug WP? Why did he steal and don the Steel Samurai costume? Was he planning to attack Diva while wearing it and possibly frame WP as the culprit? This seems likely.

Luca_024
Dec 26, 2022

GilliamYaeger posted:

Come on dude, it's a blind LP and you just post this poo poo? Surely it can't be THAT hard to just...keep it in your pants, yeah?

My bad, I thought it was vague enough but it clearly wasn't, lesson learned

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

We didn't get to Studio Two until the second day of investigation; plenty of time for some cleanup to have occurred I suppose.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

DKII posted:

We didn't get to Studio Two until the second day of investigation; plenty of time for some cleanup to have occurred I suppose.

This is what I assume happened. The police would have no reason to go over there either, since it wasn't known to be the scene of the crime.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Also the Van hasn't actually been searched or gone into at all, right? so all of the costume switching and cleanup could've happened there.

argosaxelcaos
Apr 26, 2017
Feels like she panicked HARD. All of this points to either self-defence, or flat out an accident while defending herself, none of which carry any prison time. But if you look at her face in the picture it shows that she's nowhere as cool as she presents herself

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

argosaxelcaos posted:

Feels like she panicked HARD. All of this points to either self-defence, or flat out an accident while defending herself, none of which carry any prison time. But if you look at her face in the picture it shows that she's nowhere as cool as she presents herself

Even if it were just self defense, having this out in public would pretty much spell the death of her career in Japanifornia.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

argosaxelcaos posted:

You forget: this is Japanifornia where someone's gotta hang

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FoolyCharged posted:

You forget: this is Japanifornia where someone's gotta hang

Japanafornia geography with Texarkansai laws :v:

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 1, 2023

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 72: Episode 3: Final Day, Trial: Role Reversal

Umm...

Sound: Realization

This seems awfully anti-climactic.

?

Sound: Stab

That's going onto my "favorite lines" list. drat, I should have really kept a list.

Don't you have anything to say!?

Huh?

I just said that.

Sound: Desk Slam

W-wait, so you mean...

Dee Vasquez! So, it was you?

I have no idea what's happening here.

Huh?

Are you sure I did?

Mr. Wright...

We just engaged in a battle of wits.

I was wondering when the "proof" bomb would drop amongst all this talk.

R-right!

But... that is only a possibility.

Proof is another thing altogether.

Music: Suspense

Sound: Guilty

Sound: Gallery

Sound: Gavel

Order!

Edgeworth has been awfully quiet lately. I think he's been intimidated by Vasquez.

Or he's just not handling all these reveals all that well. I bet he's never had a third day of trial, either.

O-of course, it's as the witness says!

We've officially reached the inflection point where Edgeworth turns into a defense attorney for his witness instead of prosecuting our client.

(...!)
Sound: Light Bulb

I don't know about "not sure", but it doesn't seem like his heart is in it? Maybe between Mr. White and Ms. Vasquez he's tired of getting abused by his witnesses that turn out to be murderers?

Well?

If you've no more questions, I'll be leaving.

Per request, here's the upcoming scene captured in video form.

What we really need is for her to trip herself up like all our other antagonists. But her short answers and calm attitude are not helping matters.

Testify... again?

Think about it.

Even if I were to testify again, what's the point?

I can only say what I said before. The truth, Mr. Wright.

I've already said all there is to say.

Uh...

A waste of time.

But... but... that's what makes this whole thing work! We point out a contradiction, you re-testify to try and explain it and trip over yourself even further, until you explode! You can't just... ignore us!

quote:

Let's just accuse her again.

Ms. Vasquez! You did it!

That wasn't a question.

Um, did you do it?

No.

:allears: I enjoy this villain.

Mr. Wright.

Y-yes, Your Honor?

I'm not sure that question helped this court get any closer to a verdict.

(Urk! What do I do now!?)

Well, that didn't work. We're brought back to the same prompt. Better go with a different option.

quote:

Maybe we should back off since we don't have any further questions anyway?

Yes, Mr. Wright?

I was hoping I'd come up with a question while pounding on my desk.

I didn't.

You have my sympathies.

Is that why he does that? Adorable. :allears: Anyway, this option continues from here the same as the one we selected...

(drat... drat!)

(To come so far, only to fail...)

Sound: Gallery

Sound: Gavel

Music: Silence

As it seems there are no further questions...

Dammit, we can't just let her go! This is where Mia saved us out of nowhere with Mr. White last episode. Somebody do something!

Sound: Objection

Yes! Wait.

Music: Pressing Pursuit - Cornered - Variation

Edgeworth!?

Yes, Mr. Edgeworth?

I didn't.
Sound: Whoops

...Goddammit.

What is happening here!?

Your Honor!

You are the prosecutor, are you not?

I... I just want to hear your testimony again.

Does this make any sense to you, Your Honor?

Mr. Edgeworth...

What exactly did you want her to testify about?

Sound: Whoops

Is Edgeworth...trying to buy us time?

Sound: Drama Pound

Wow! Edgeworth really channeled his inner Phoenix there. But...why?

After they found the body...?

Very well.

Hmph.

Nick!

Who knows?

That's Phoenix's first line in a couple pages. That whole last scene played out without needing our input.

But... but!

After all that...

(Edgeworth...)

Is there more to our smug prosecutor than meets the eye? If you missed it earlier, here's a video link to the previous scene - worth watching for those moments where the music stops and starts just aren't captured well in screenshot form.

Sound: Testimony 2

All that effort just to unlock the second testimony. It is kind of amazing that it's taken this long to get anyone to describe actually finding the body, though.

Music: Questioning - Allegro

I immediately called the police. Then Powers showed up.

I asked to be left out of the proceedings.

Then I went home.

Uh, not seeing a whole lot there. We'll have to press for more details.

Hmm...

Mr. Wright, your cross-examination.

We are?

She may be acting tough now...

But if you put her on the spot she's sure to falter!

Right!

Sound: Testimony 2

Or everything we've done till now will have been wasted!

Yeah! Let's go!

I was with Sal and Oldbag, the security lady, when we found the body.

What time was that?

So I'd say it was then.

About 10 minutes before.

Right away, we're given the option to press harder, but I'm going to leave it alone for now.

(I'd better leave this one be.)

The assistant was there, too. Only Powers was absent.

Mr. Powers was taking a nap, correct?

So he says.

Did no one go to call him?

Remember...

Remember... what?

This line also gives us a hard-press option. Might get some more out of this one, but let's see the rest first.

(I'll hold off.)

I immediately called the police. Then Powers showed up.

What was everyone else doing at that time?

No one said a thing.

So we stood there until Powers finally arrived on the scene.

"Sorry! Sorry I'm late!"

Vasquez's pun falls flat.

Hey... Hey, Nick.

Why's everyone so quiet?

I was convinced there was something to present here to unlock some kind of joke dialogue, but the judge kept on going "What does that have to do anything?" and "I have to penalize you." Lame.

The security lady, Oldbag, was quite agitated. Pointing at Powers, saying "he did it!"

(Oldbag... the security lady.)

Why did the security lady think Powers had done it?

Yet another hard-press option. Which one is the one we'll need? I suppose I'll eventually hit them all, but not yet.

(I'll hold back, I think.)

I asked to be left out of the proceedings.

You "asked to be left out"?

Yes.

And I'm really not fond of that sort of thing.

But, you can't just decide who the police will and won't question!

Thankfully, the studio thinks otherwise.

They were nice enough to understand that, since we were in a meeting...

(Covered for you... or covered it up for you?)

(There must have been a lot riding on it, with all those bigwigs at the meeting...)

I went back to the trailer to get my script and direction notes.

The script and your direction notes?

Yet another line we can pursue further, but again we'll back off for now.

(I'll hold back, I think.)

Then I went home.

So you weren't questioned?

That's correct.

How many is that now? Five, I think? We continue to back off...

(I'll hold back for now.)

And...that's it. I'm going to shake things up a bit this time. Clearly we need to press harder on at least one of these lines, but only one advances the plot. Which line is it?

DKII fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 4, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I was hoping to come up with a clever remark while looking at the poll.

I didn't.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

This scene is just so great when you're playing because having the writers jerk you around with the music the whole time just makes the gag land so much harder than the music links. I love how there is a clearly canonical line there that has Edgeworth and Phoenix mirror each other. It's kind of a shame you can miss that.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The remarks in this one about why they desk slam and object make me chuckle.

We haven't actually put Penny on the stand yet. Maybe we should?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Do we really need Penny on the stand when we've already seen several pounds on there? Seems like a step backwards.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

quote:

:allears:

There isn't an :allears: big enough in the universe

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

This is possibly the highlight of the entire series. I mean, it does get here again, but THIS was something that had me howling when I first encountered it.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I love Edgeworth so much.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Wow, they absolutely should have moved things around so that it's mandatory to view that phoenix line, because I never knew that was there. Then again... it's almost funnier that you can miss it.

I REALLY enjoy the character development of edgeworth there. At the end of the previous case, I've always been a huge fan of

quote:

Mr. White... Don't you think it's time to confess your crime?

And then he covers perfectly, getting him to admit to planting the wire tap. Just beautiful. I feel like he was living the high of his perfect record and didn't have a care in the world.

But now that record is shattered and you can't rebuild it. My fan theory is, that leaves him a bit more thoughtful. And maybe... Just maybe he has a moral compass, of some kind.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Yeah, I think this is where I started liking Edgeworth.

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary

hopeandjoy posted:

I love Edgeworth so much.

:emptyquote:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yeah, we probably don’t need Penny. Or have time for her. Just noticed her lack of official testimony.

Edgeworth- He still has a ways to go for me to like him, but his character has grown somewhat.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Xander77 posted:

On that note, DKII - there's a climactic bit in a couple of updates (once you manage to figure out who the murderer is) that you really want to capture on video. Both to demonstrate the above, and because it doesn't really work as gifs with "music starts" and "music ends" notes.
That's the one.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Xander77 posted:

That's the one.

Thanks for pointing it out - I had thought you were talking about the end of the investigation yesterday. As requested: Video Link

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Indeed!
Verily, I say...
Ergo!

Is one of the best lines in the game.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

DKII posted:

Thanks for pointing it out - I had thought you were talking about the end of the investigation yesterday. As requested: Video Link

I love this bit.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021
His streak is totally intact: Edgeworth always gets a guilty verdict...for someone. It's just not always the listed defendant.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

So has Phoenix, so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, nobody gets a guilty verdict if the defendant is cleared. If someone else confesses to the murder during the trial, they're arrested and will be tried at a later date.

I'm not sure Edgeworth was the one prosecuting Redd White, that seems like a conflict of interest.