Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harrow posted:

"Watching the Divine Dragon sleep has been a religious observance for a millennium and we're not about to stop now that you wake up sometimes" - all of Elyos, apparently

At least no one I've picked up yet sparkles when they're not Engaged...? :v:

In general, this game's scratching a pretty different itch for me than Three Houses did. This one's a turn your brain off and go with it cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think I’ve enjoyed most of the “wake up Divine One” events more than the stuff people say after fights even when it wasn’t “holy wow you kicked rear end” or “holy wow I kicked rear end” stuff so maybe they made the right choice. Kinda, since how many are you gonna see?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I got pretty invested in the character/story the longer it went on. It never goes past saturday morning cartoon levels of depth but it's very honest/earnest about it and that's what made me care.

Also Laura Stahl (Alears Female VA) commissioned this kickass print to use at conventions:
https://twitter.com/laura_stahl/status/1620551519061037057

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Love to have one of my characters die from a boss’s crit :sigh: now I remember why I have given up on several runs in different FE games.

Edit: this is in ch 10 to the first of three boss characters, like great gotta burn all my divine pulse charges before I even get to the second half of the battle.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I really really appreciate the polish in this game. I think the interface and visuals feel very slick, I love how the characters pop up when you hover over them (especially since it doesn't lag). It took me a bit to learn how to read the stats layout but once I got familiar with it, it felt like most of the info I need is right there and easy to access.

Even though a lot of the conversations are still just "characters standing against a backdrop", the backdrops themselves and the camera angles help disguise that pretty well. In one of the openers I was super confused when they cut to a static image of Lumera hugging Alear until I realized I had been watching one of those static conversations and not a dynamic cutscene.

I also think walking around the battlefields after is really neat. It sounds silly but after Chapter 4 when I was walking around that town with the windmills in the background, it made that kingdom feel like a place to me, in a way Fire Emblem never really has before. It's obviously not as immersive as an open world rpg or even a typical jrpg but it was a nice touch.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

Counterpoint, this was Radiant Dawn's single best idea.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It was funny. It's the only recruitment that's presented as a failure state with Ike going "no really, it's okay, you don't have to defect, I'd be happy to just kill you instead" and Oliver responding "too late I'm blue now."

RD in general has some of the best stupid recruitments, like letting you recruit several of the strongest Dawn Brigade members in act 3, even though the Greil Mercenaries are all top tier and the Dawn Brigade has like three useful core members.

Who said I was complaining? :colbert:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Love to have one of my characters die from a boss’s crit :sigh: now I remember why I have given up on several runs in different FE games.

Edit: this is in ch 10 to the first of three boss characters, like great gotta burn all my divine pulse charges before I even get to the second half of the battle.

Lure Hortensia in with someone and Qi guard them.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

CharlestonJew posted:

crazy thing is that's not even all of the wake up dialogue. They all have variations if you press a button to wake up early, again fully voiced.

it's insane all the crap they put effort in vs what they cheaped out on

Ah gently caress you can wake up early?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

boredsatellite posted:

Ah gently caress you can wake up early?

Yep any time by pressing A

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

FrickenMoron posted:

jeez, the only healer I had was a reclassed Griffin knight Vander... didnt think to do that

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Qi guard or bonded shield is the answer to most problems really with luring bosses.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Also Hold Out :eng101:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Random question, is there a way to avoid having the Arena music as the enemy phase trackduring all the paralogues? I'm really, REALLY sick of it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

jeez, the only healer I had was a reclassed Griffin knight Vander... didnt think to do that

Yeah this is why unit types are a cool touch. The Qi Adept healers are great because they have that Chain Guard ability, and while flying staff users are really useful (I use one as well) it's still a good idea to have a Monk of some kind around so you can Chain Guard. Without that they'd probably be entirely outclassed by Griffin Knights, Ivy, and Hortensia.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean I don't know about you all, but Framme is also my number one player phase damage dealer; I ended up forgetting Chain Guard was even an option because if there was a threat near her, she could just delete the threat instead.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

Yep any time by pressing A

I'll give that a go then

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Also speaking of, normally Bonded Shield only works 80% of the time, but putting it on Qi Adepts specifically makes it 100% on all units. Normally you can only get 100% if you match movement types eg. fliers have 100% rate on fliers, and Dragons only go up to 90% on all units.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I mean I don't know about you all, but Framme is also my number one player phase damage dealer; I ended up forgetting Chain Guard was even an option because if there was a threat near her, she could just delete the threat instead.

any non-armored unit now takes roughly 100+ damage when Framme gets her hands on them, it's insane

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

FrickenMoron posted:

Doesn’t help if she can double my dudes!! But yeah I am bad at remembering to use chain guard. I only brought Jean and he Shine’d an armor unit to death that turn. Whatever, I started the battle over.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

any non-armored unit now takes roughly 100+ damage when Framme gets her hands on them, it's insane

If you put Eirika on Monks (deal 20-30% of opponent's Def as true damage per hit) they can punch through armors too :eng101:

My Framme and Jean just can't get enough EXP to promote on Maddening but this is something I potentially wanna try with maybe Pandreo or a reclassed Lindon

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Doesn’t help if she can double my dudes!! But yeah I am bad at remembering to use chain guard. I only brought Jean and he Shine’d an armor unit to death that turn. Whatever, I started the battle over.

You probably should have someone who won't get doubled by her. Also afaik her first action always is to use the freeze staff from range as soon as someone enters her range.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So....did everyone else know Eirika's Engage puts the buff on the entire party

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Tae posted:

So....did everyone else know Eirika's Engage puts the buff on the entire party

I don't think it does, I think it just controls inherited versions of the buff, since there's otherwise no way for inherited versions to swap buffs. If it actually buffed everyone you would be suddenly very surprised when everyone started healing on hit for no reason.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Oh, I should probably ask, is it possible to save every village in the Timmera join map? In a typical FE I’d assume “no, the first village gets torched o matter what” but you can do some crazy stuff between Engages and just normal staves, I’m just not sure if it’s “literally dropping a mini nuke on that one guy” good enough.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Last Celebration posted:

Oh, I should probably ask, is it possible to save every village in the Timmera join map? In a typical FE I’d assume “no, the first village gets torched o matter what” but you can do some crazy stuff between Engages and just normal staves, I’m just not sure if it’s “literally dropping a mini nuke on that one guy” good enough.

It's possible with some warping shenanigans apparently but it only gives an Elixir. Not worth it.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
I like that some info is more present, like the sub-combat effects like backup/covert is very visible and isn't longer just a hidden aspect that might be explained to you, but not labeled.
I think it would have been neat for unit variety if the sub-types wasn't tied to class but character. that way you have a bunch of really crazy options you can explore, like berserker/mysticals or swordmaster/coverts ect.

Again, I wish SP wasn't so hard to work into in a normal playthrough. Along with the high cost/low gains, for most of the game, you won't have all the rings, so 50-75% of your squad will just NOT gain any sp since you rings equipped to even gain them.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Bond rings give 50% SP. Make sure you have them on everyone

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Yeah I really don't like that SP gain is halved if you're using a bond ring and not an emblem. It also makes the gap between early joiners and late prepromotes even bigger as later units join with 1-2k SP with no effort, while the units you've been using since the start would barely break 1k.

I suppose that's one incentive to get you to buy the DLCs though, especially after they add more bracelets.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Chapter 10 down. Surprised to have Two maps which enforce fielding the exact same units which probably is a thing that a lot of people wouldn't notice.

Shocked that I haven't really gotten a bad unit yet. Doesn't seem to matter what crew I take into a fight, everyone is effective and everyone is somehow over-leveled. Most units have between 600 and 800 SP. Master Seals are coming in at a trickle, but so far, I have only used one on Alear because I don't want to deal with the headache of keeping track of hidden level.

Hoping to get the ability to mass buy seals before my team starts hitting 20. I'd like them to remain relatively even.

In all, I am having a ton of fun with the various delete buttons of engages and their other benefits. Hopefully when I get them all back, and also the remaining ones, presumably the deployment number will finally go up to at least 12.

Game has so much flexibility it's insane. Unfortunately, it seems like it's going to be far too short to really get into the guts of designing my characters. This game badly needs a built in randomizer.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
On my first hard mode run Framme, Alfred, Boucheron and Etie were completely unsalvageable in levelups, Diamant too. Fixed growths in Maddening so far have been much kinder to the Firene crew aside from Louis. Gonna continue on to get Alcryst tonight and then trying my hand at Tikis paralogue on maddening with 2 archers.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

If you put Eirika on Monks (deal 20-30% of opponent's Def as true damage per hit) they can punch through armors too :eng101:

Slightly softer targets, too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_lYDXBwmi4

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

blizzardvizard posted:

Yeah I really don't like that SP gain is halved if you're using a bond ring and not an emblem. It also makes the gap between early joiners and late prepromotes even bigger as later units join with 1-2k SP with no effort, while the units you've been using since the start would barely break 1k.

I suppose that's one incentive to get you to buy the DLCs though, especially after they add more bracelets.

It seems kind of poorly thought through - like at a minimum the 50% SP gain should be baseline instead of needing a bond ring, because the only reason you wouldn't throw cheap bond rings on everyone as soon as you get access to the ring room is if you genuinely don't understand the mechanic. It just penalizes people who don't realize that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I had a thought. I know Celine gets Ignis, and she has decent STR and MAG growths. A loading screen just noted that brawling in this game uses the average of both STR and MAG to calculate damage.

Would Celine make sense as a qi adept to go into brawling?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I don't see why not. Her speed seems pretty OK, too.

About the biggest drawback I can see offhand is she seems to have even worse survivability than Framme does, on my file.

Doesn't one of the brawling classes also still get tomes? I haven't promoted anyone other than Alear yet, so I can't really remember what everything does.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Veryslightlymad posted:

I don't see why not. Her speed seems pretty OK, too.

About the biggest drawback I can see offhand is she seems to have even worse survivability than Framme does, on my file.

Doesn't one of the brawling classes also still get tomes? I haven't promoted anyone other than Alear yet, so I can't really remember what everything does.

High Priest gets tomes, staves, and knuckles. Though it's mystical instead of Qi Adept so you lose Chain Guard.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I had a thought. I know Celine gets Ignis, and she has decent STR and MAG growths. A loading screen just noted that brawling in this game uses the average of both STR and MAG to calculate damage.

The one issue here is that Ignis is tied to Céline's Vidame class. She can't carry it over to a Qi Adept class like Martial Master. But her stats would support going brawler just fine, no reason it wouldn't work.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Celine has super balanced growths all around, with the exception of monstrous Luck.

So if she rolls well she can fill almost any role but she's also in danger of getting stat screwed unless you play Fixed growth.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Cythereal posted:

She won't have Ignis if you move her out of her unique class. It's the class skill of Vidame and class skills don't carry between classes.

As for making her a monk, the str/mag growths look good in that combo, but for some completely perplexing reason the martial artist class doesn't have any speed or dex growth at all and she's fairly shaky in those areas to begin with, so you'd need to shore her up somehow with either stat inherits or Tiki.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

GateOfD posted:

I think it would have been neat for unit variety if the sub-types wasn't tied to class but character. that way you have a bunch of really crazy options you can explore, like berserker/mysticals or swordmaster/coverts ect.

This would be neat, but the problem, at least if you don't make any other changes, is that it doesn't play nice with the mounted classes being balanced around not having that extra perk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harrow posted:

The one issue here is that Ignis is tied to Céline's Vidame class. She can't carry it over to a Qi Adept class like Martial Master. But her stats would support going brawler just fine, no reason it wouldn't work.

Kanos posted:

She won't have Ignis if you move her out of her unique class. It's the class skill of Vidame and class skills don't carry between classes.

As for making her a monk, it could theoretically work, but for some completely perplexing reason the martial artist class doesn't have any speed or dex growth at all and she's fairly shaky in those areas to begin with, so you'd need to shore her up somehow with either stat inherits or Tiki.

Hmmm. Didn't realize that Ignis was tied to a class, but I'll still consider this if her growths hold up.

I think I want a Qi Adept around for Chain Guard and Framme's voice and personality annoy the hell out of me, so Celine is looking like a candidate for the job if she's still looking viable when second seals start coming around.

Also, I'm continuing to have very good results from Marth!Etie. That flexibility in attack range, and being able to swap between anti-flier work and anti-armor/cavalry, is coming really in handy for me.