Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The main FFXIV plug-in system (Dalamud) lets you drag plug-in UI windows out of the game window seamlessly, though having them “undocked” seems to hurt frame rate a fair bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

Man DS games work really well on this thing. Am playing Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow and you can switch view to the second screen with R2 and use all the touch screen gimmicks perfectly. Feels great to play.

The real pro move is to play the romhacks that remove the touch controls

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

homeless snail posted:

Depending on the game you can also set up a split screen or picture and picture layout and bind the trackpad to a screen region directly over the touchscreen window. Played a lot of Kid Icarus Uprising on Citra and its an incredible way to play that game.

I really enjoyed that game but man it destroyed my wrists on 3ds

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Halo: Infinite's multiplayer plays so well on Deck but I'm going to ruin these sticks, buttons, and triggers I just know it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I really enjoyed that game but man it destroyed my wrists on 3ds
Highly recommend trying it on Dreck then because, everyone talks about wanting a KIU port but real KIU heads know the game would never work on a gamepad. Well, trackpad is the next best thing and also doesn't murder your wrist.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Necrothatcher posted:

Man DS games work really well on this thing. Am playing Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow and you can switch view to the second screen with R2 and use all the touch screen gimmicks perfectly. Feels great to play.

Just a heads up if you play 3DS games too, but everything works on those EXCEPT voice controls. There's an option in the emulator to just make constant static noises so if you need to blow on something you're good, but apparently none of the emulators for it have actual microphone support. They do for the DS just not the 3DS. It was really frustrating when I loaded up Nintendogs for the first time until I figured that out.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The real pro move is to play the romhacks that remove the touch controls

But I love that goofy DS era stuff! Plus it's nice to actually use the Deck's touchscreen for once.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

jokes posted:

Halo: Infinite's multiplayer plays so well on Deck but I'm going to ruin these sticks, buttons, and triggers I just know it.

Been curious about this one, especially while I'm waiting for them to sort out the anti-cheat restrictions on MCC (not holding my breath, though).

Is it 60fps?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Okay, how the hell do I add roms to Emudeck? I put my folder of roms on the card and linked the directory but all it pulled was for MAME.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Okay, how the hell do I add roms to Emudeck? I put my folder of roms on the card and linked the directory but all it pulled was for MAME.

Open Steam ROM manager in Desktop mode (you should have a shortcut on the desktop) and there should be an option near the top to Generate an app list.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

why can't i alt-f4 in Chrome in desktop mode while steam is open?

why does bluetooth work so much worse at my house

Mescal fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 1, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think some recent update hosed up desktop mode controls in the Stable channel. Try the latest update

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I wish that GFN had a native Linux version.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Open Steam ROM manager in Desktop mode (you should have a shortcut on the desktop) and there should be an option near the top to Generate an app list.

I did, all it generated was the Mame roms.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Automata 10 Pack posted:

I'd recommend using the default directories (so emulation > roms > system) to at least see if it's picking them up. If not, something wrong with the roms. If so, something wrong with the directory/ where emudeck is looking.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Automata 10 Pack posted:

The left side of Steam ROM manager are sliders for each emulator, if those are not activated it wont add those roms when you generate. Maybe only Mame is selected?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

hm. what do i do if a game's resolution is wrong while docked, but there's no actual video options in the game? Underrail is what i'm tryig to play

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Hm, Spiderman 2 loads up in PCSX2 just fine but none of my controls work so I can't make it past the "Press Start" screen. Anyone had any similar experiences with PCSX2 on the Deck?

EDIT: Other games input works just fine (Soul Calibur 2, Simpsons Hit & Run)

Evil Robot fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 2, 2023

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

Bumhead posted:

Been curious about this one, especially while I'm waiting for them to sort out the anti-cheat restrictions on MCC (not holding my breath, though).

Is it 60fps?

No, it's 45 IIRC. But it runs hot and drains battery faster than the deck charges. YMMV, but while "impressive" I don't get how people can play Halo on the system outside of maybe 1-2 matches before worrying about battery or thermals.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So with the new Steam UI being the default in Steam, I'm finding it better to just stay in Desktop Mode and open up Big Picture Mode when I want to game and share all of the comforts of that. It also takes a lot less god drat time then to switch into Gaming Mode. Is there anyway to make it so the Deck will open Big Picture Mode whenever I unplug it from the Dock? Seems like that would be a really great QOL feature since I don't ever care to use Desktop Mode when handheld.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You'd have to unlock root and everything that entails and also its probably a pain in the rear end, but its possible to set up a udev rule that runs a script when you connect/disconnect a monitor, and I'm pretty sure there's a steam:// url you can open that starts big picture mode. Not sure if there's one that closes it, also. I think its probably easier, just to press the steam button which is also a shortcut for BPM in desktop mode.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

No, it's 45 IIRC.

Sounds like another reason to cap it at 40 Hz/FPS then.

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

But it runs hot and drains battery faster than the deck charges.

The Dreck can draw up to 45 W, and it uses up to around 25 W to power itself, max, meaning it always has overhead to recharge its battery unless you're using a lower-output PSU or the device is intentionally not recharging the battery due to excessive heat (which, I guess, might apply in this specific scenario, but I can't recall anyone else describing this issue with any other game, even something like Cyberpunk.)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

homeless snail posted:

I think its probably easier, just to press the steam button which is also a shortcut for BPM in desktop mode.

:aaa:

That's definitely easier, I hope Valve gives us the option to auto start/stop BPM when you un/plug.

edit: Is there any keyboard shortcuts for the Steam/QAM buttons? Would be nice to open those when not holding a controller.

sigher fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Feb 2, 2023

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Mescal posted:

why does bluetooth work so much worse at my house

Do you live in a big cage with large metal panels on the walls?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Make sure you set the parsers in the long list on the left hand side of the window to on for all the systems you want to index otherwise it’ll ignore them

It doesn’t default to on for all of them because ???

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

No, it's 45 IIRC. But it runs hot and drains battery faster than the deck charges. YMMV, but while "impressive" I don't get how people can play Halo on the system outside of maybe 1-2 matches before worrying about battery or thermals.

Thanks, I think I'm good then. While it's impressive that the Deck runs some of these games as well as it does, personally I'm not a fan of squeezing games onto it in terms of sacrificing FPS or running hot etc. I like some Halo multi, but there are other things I can be playing instead while hoping there's a solution developed for MCC.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bumhead posted:

Is it 60fps?

I run it at 45 with a 15 TDP limit and haven't had any problems. I get roughly 2 hours before battery goes below 20%

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
You know I never thought I'd see this weird insane arms race where companies like Ubisoft and EA break their games (via breaking their launchers that nobody wants) and Valve and the community rushes to fix them. Like, what? What a staggeringly stupid use of peoples time and efforts lol.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Heran Bago posted:

Do you live in a big cage with large metal panels on the walls?

rear end in a top hat move bragging about not living in a big cage with large metal panels on the walls

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

Made it past the tutorial missions to the point where the actual Fire Emblem starts (aka when you can buy gear, do support convos, etc)

It's a pretty good time. Obviously missing some of the production values of the newer games but the maps are good and interesting. The early missions give you some veteran members of your mercenary crew to work with, so it's interesting positioning them to take the brunt of aggro while allowing your little baby mercs to suckle at the teat of xp from safety.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

One thing I am having to reconcile with being a handheld only pleb is that PC games don't have aim assist.

gently caress yeah I love having HL2 or Titanfall2 portable, but I suck with the trackpads and joysticks make me feel like I'm controlling a boat.

I've been coddled by console shooters since 2006

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Some of them do if they detect you’re using a controller

There was a big kerfuffle years ago over I wanna say Titanfall where people found out it was turning on aim assist if you had a controller plugged in at all even if you were using the mouse and keyboard, so everybody who owned any kind of controller got a free aimbot.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Gyro aiming is pretty good if you can be bothered to set it up (or your game already has a community setup for it I guess). Splatoon totally opened my eyes to gyro awesomeness.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

FishMcCool posted:

Gyro aiming is pretty good if you can be bothered to set it up (or your game already has a community setup for it I guess). Splatoon totally opened my eyes to gyro awesomeness.

Same for me. But not being able to change gyro settings without closing the game absolutely sucks.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Gyro aiming can be enabled in any joystick or mouse view game by selecting the "As Joystick" or "As Mouse" drop-down. I've found it generally works fine with both flavors--you don't really need to find a community profile for it, it should just work.

Personally I prefer the trackpad, but as has been explained a few times before most FPS games default to a "Gamepad with Joystick Trackpad" template which isn't nearly as good as the "Gamepad with Mouse Trackpad" one. Half-Life 2 should be one of the few titles that doesn't do that though so if you're having trouble with the official controls in that, then yeah, you might need gyro.

Beastie posted:

Same for me. But not being able to change gyro settings without closing the game absolutely sucks.
You don't have to close the game!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Beastie posted:

lol

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Beastie posted:

While midgame hit the Steam Button, go to the right.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I just installed the latest stable channel update and now my deck won’t shut down, it just sits forever on shutting down steam and I have to hold the power button and kill it.

Edit: switched to beta channel and that won’t shut down either! Hooray!

Edit edit: going into desktop mode and shutting down worked for now, hopefully the next update fixes it or I’m going to have to recover it I guess :saddowns:

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 2, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I realized the potential of gyro assisted aiming with Gravity Rush. Uncharted Vita preceded it, but I didn't play it till later.

I don't know if there was any "serious" game examples before that. Sixaxis didn't have the requisite fidelity. I'm not counting the Move/Wiimote because they're different devices, not gamepads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gyro aiming in Ocarina of Time 3D was brilliant.