Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
playstation pus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

haveblue posted:

playstation pus

sony’s bungled attempt at loosening steam’s stranglehold on the adult video game market

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

punished milkman posted:

sony’s bungled attempt at loosening steam’s stranglehold on the adult video game market

the adult video game market is the only way PSVR will succeed, so good move

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jesus, Sony has unlimited money but they still penny pinch their customers really hard lol

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

PS Minus

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I finished RE3make! While Mr. X from 2 is super imposing I kinda loved Nemesis constantly showing up to get chumped and then changing forms to something even more grotesque each time. Also hunters go gently caress yourselves!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Fifteen of Many posted:

I finished RE3make! While Mr. X from 2 is super imposing I kinda loved Nemesis constantly showing up to get chumped and then changing forms to something even more grotesque each time. Also hunters go gently caress yourselves!

great game. Rem4ke is gonna be GOTY

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

lordfrikk posted:

That's possible because I don't own any headset. But what exactly makes you say so?

Not who you responded to, but IMO the worst thing about the PCVR space is it’s incredibly expensive to get a good setup, and you’re generally going to be putting up with all the usual PC gaming jankiness like scattershot hardware support, performance issues, and your usual software conflict kind of crap.

VR is basically the ideal example of why console gaming can be a really good thing: The hardware is completely static and every game has to be built for it.

PSVR1 is, on paper, one of the worst headsets on the market right now. But games that come out for it are mandated by Sony to hit at least 60fps internally and not cause headset reprojection (the way the viewpoint moves when you move your head) to drop below 90fps, so the experience of actually playing the games is always going to be smooth, even if not the prettiest thing in the world.

You don’t get that with other platforms. If you have Valve’s Index or another PC headset they essentially expect you to throw more money into your computer to smooth out framerate problems, and Meta just straight up doesn’t give a poo poo because their core focus is taking your money.

The PSVR2 I think is going to be an even bigger leap forward, because the eye-tracking based foveated rendering is a hardware feature of the headset, available to every developer in the same way, with the controllers and headset haptics also available to every developer in the same way.

How would that look with PCVR? My money’s on “the most expensive headset is the only one that does it and the game has to be built specifically to run on it, and also you have to have a specific brand of video card made in the last three months”.

PCVR, just like PC gaming itself, has an enormous amount of potential, but without a unified platform it’s always going to be a much bigger headache to use than console VR and quality’s going to be all over the place from game to game.

Personally I’d much rather plug in my headset, hit play game, and know I’m not about to stick my head into a choppy-framerate slideshow barf factory*.

*i mean i assume it’d be a barf factory anyway, i don’t get vr sick literally ever lol

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Anyone tried that new Evil Dead game? Is it playable solo?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Dewgy posted:

VR is basically the ideal example of why console gaming can be a really good thing: The hardware is completely static and every game has to be built for it.

Also one company is the system integrator and responsible for the complete experience. It's a huge benefit when you're chaining technologies together and one weak link can nauseate players. And you can unilaterally push new hardware features to customers without having to rope third parties into agreeing on a standard, a big deal for a format in its infancy. I think for VR to break through it really needs a company putting its weight behind it and owning the experience end to end. It won't be Valve, they want other companies taking on the risk of developing games for the Index, they only made HL:Alyx in order to create demand for VR and bootstrap an ecosystem around it. It won't be Meta, they have no idea what people want and aren't interested in it anyway, they're focused on creating another platform for advertising and data collection that you feel like you can't afford to leave. Sony is the only company with any hope of creating a good VR gaming platform IMO.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The only other company that could even attempt something like that is Apple, and they've been rumored to be trying for years. The latest rumor is that it will be a serious professional tool that costs $3000, and Apple has famously never cared about gaming in their entire history, so it's probably not going to be what we're waiting for

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

haveblue posted:

Apple has famously never cared about gaming in their entire history

That has shifted quite a bit over the last few years with what they’ve done with macOS as well as Apple Arcade.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Apple making a gaming console would be interesting. They have over 1 trillion dollars to throw around, so essentially unlimited money, but it will never happen.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I hope it never happens because they have zero idea about non-mobile gaming

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Dewgy posted:

Good stuff

Lol this post is actual making me more interested in PSVR. Nice to know Sony is interested in enforcing some actual minimum quality standards.

Kilometers Davis posted:

That has shifted quite a bit over the last few years with what they’ve done with macOS as well as Apple Arcade.
Tim Cook is addicted to services revenue. So mobile gaming with lots of microtransaction is is the ideal form of gaming in Apple’s eyes, unfortunately. Apple Arcade seems to be updated irregularly but I could see there being a new push for lots of AR/VR games to be added to Arcade whenever the rumored headset launches and there does seem to be some understanding on Apple’s part that you to promote at least some actual good games to help launder prestige and distract from all the sleazy gatcha games. e.g. the Mac release of Disco Elysium won a game of the year from Apple.

Apple at least does care about about graphical fidelity and rendering, to the point where they will loan engineers or sometimes just straight up write the Metal API implementation for software like Blender or Octane.

It would never happen but I do wish Apple would sell their tablet/laptop chips to Nintendo for a Switch Pro.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kilometers Davis posted:

That has shifted quite a bit over the last few years with what they’ve done with macOS

by..deprecating opengl and pushing an api nobody loving likes so everyone just wrappers vulkan to it instead?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Or moving over to a new CPU architecture and breaking compatibility for a bunch of old games

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

only the truly deluded talk about mac as a serious gaming platform

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

acksplode posted:

Or moving over to a new CPU architecture and breaking compatibility for a bunch of old games

third time's the charm lol

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I said come in! posted:

Apple making a gaming console would be interesting. They have over 1 trillion dollars to throw around, so essentially unlimited money, but it will never happen.

Anyone remember the Apple Pippin?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

acksplode posted:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

kirbysuperstar posted:

by..deprecating opengl and pushing an api nobody loving likes so everyone just wrappers vulkan to it instead?
Metal is actually really nice to work with, it's just...why would you

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hi thread I moved my PS3 out of my TV setup today in preparation to put a big white thing there tomorrow.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Actually this device has excellent backwards compatibility. Idiot

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

njsykora posted:

Hi thread I moved my PS3 out of my TV setup today in preparation to put a big white thing there tomorrow.

oh is there a white series x?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Actually this device has excellent backwards compatibility. Idiot

what came next tho... maybe think ahead???

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

njsykora posted:

nice of you to invite your mom over

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I found a PSVR at Target on clearance for $100 and bought it, and then while I was using it my rabbit ran up and bit through the HDMI cable and I never repaired it or investigated repairing it beyond maybe posting about it here and seeing that Sony would repair it for way more than I originally paid for it. This has been my PSVR story.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

what came next tho... maybe think ahead???

Jim Ryan, and the Death of the Playstation.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

haveblue posted:

The only other company that could even attempt something like that is Apple, and they've been rumored to be trying for years. The latest rumor is that it will be a serious professional tool that costs $3000, and Apple has famously never cared about gaming in their entire history, so it's probably not going to be what we're waiting for

I could see Valve maybe making a Steam-deck-like PCVR unit, but that would take away from Gabe’s knife budget so who the hell knows.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Guillermus posted:

Anyone tried that new Evil Dead game? Is it playable solo?

Haven't played it but I'm pretty sure it's an online only Dead by Daylight clone so there's no solo anything.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

RichterIX posted:

I found a PSVR at Target on clearance for $100 and bought it, and then while I was using it my rabbit ran up and bit through the HDMI cable and I never repaired it or investigated repairing it beyond maybe posting about it here and seeing that Sony would repair it for way more than I originally paid for it. This has been my PSVR story.

Your rabbit sounds like a badass.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

ErrEff posted:

Your rabbit sounds like a badass.

She was trying to save me from puking from Doom VR

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

RichterIX posted:

She was trying to save me from puking from Doom VR

Man that game would be perfect for a VR2 upgrade but it’s got a snowball’s chance in hell of actually happening. Every control scheme for it has a downside, but the Move controllers are easily the most disappointing because they don’t have analog sticks.

No manual turning, movement is by dashing in cardinal directions only, only teleport locomotion. :(

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Actually this device has excellent backwards compatibility*. Idiot

*by wedging the last console into the guts of it until that got too expensive and they eventually scrapped it entirely

BlueDiablo
Aug 15, 2001

Slippery when sexy!

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s still lovely

Now, I may have a brain the size of a thumbnail, but I don't understand the difference between the Playstation Plus collection vs. the Playstation Plus Game Catalog.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

*by wedging the last console into the guts of it until that got too expensive and they eventually scrapped it entirely

Good enough for Nintendo, good enough for me

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

BlueDiablo posted:

Now, I may have a brain the size of a thumbnail, but I don't understand the difference between the Playstation Plus collection vs. the Playstation Plus Game Catalog.

The plus collection was 20 (iirc) PS4 games they put up for free when the PS5 launched as a “here’s a bunch of PS4 games you can play especially if you never had a PS4” incentive.

The catalog is the huge list of games they started offering when they added new tiers to plus.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Theatrhythm owns, I will definitely be getting this game although not sure when. £50 is a bit steep of a price point for this kinda thing imo, especially since the audio calibration seems to be broken and I'm only able to play it though headphones atm :pcgaming:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Haha y-yeah *preorders £95 digital deluxe version*