Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
New LegalEagle vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj-iQ-zbrMs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

He's just so completely shameless. He hasn't learned one goddamn thing from any of this

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Why would he, he's still getting paid 500 grand a year on top of having his utilities paid for.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

It's been a long month. I deserve something nice to happen
https://twitter.com/MichaelEHayden/status/1620609529049399296?t=a6tuM4sZF4iUQOSNdAu9Kw&s=19
.... close enough :getin:

Also I thought this was a funny preview from the comments
https://twitter.com/MichaelEHayden/status/1620616691146424321?t=9aH1W3iLjqlmxXHHqwNosQ&s=19

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

KitConstantine posted:

It's been a long month. I deserve something nice to happen
https://twitter.com/MichaelEHayden/status/1620609529049399296?t=a6tuM4sZF4iUQOSNdAu9Kw&s=19
.... close enough :getin:

Also I thought this was a funny preview from the comments
https://twitter.com/MichaelEHayden/status/1620616691146424321?t=9aH1W3iLjqlmxXHHqwNosQ&s=19

I 'look forward' to this.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

FoolyCharged posted:

He's just so completely shameless. He hasn't learned one goddamn thing from any of this

Pour an infinite amount of water through a sieve all you want, it won't catch any of it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Kung Food posted:

Guess he will have to fall back on his stand up career to survive.

Louis and Chappelle have shown they are uncancellable professions

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
How did they get their hands on the texts?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Alex Jones’s lawyers literally gave the Sandy Hook lawyers a full copy of his phone for discovery. When the SH lawyers contacted them and asked “are you sure”, they never replied. So after a month 14 days the SH lawyers could legally claim ownership, and released it to everyone.

https://youtu.be/IC9RiRUF21A

IUG fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 1, 2023

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

IUG posted:

Alex Jones’s lawyers literally gave the Sandy Hook lawyers a full copy of his phone for discovery. When the SH lawyers contacted them and asked “are you sure”, they never replied. So after a month 14 days the SH lawyers could legally claim ownership, and released it to everyone.

https://youtu.be/IC9RiRUF21A

According to Opening Arguments (law podcast), all that was done to attempt to claw back was 'please ignore', and they never even took down/changed the hyperlink, lmao

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Morter posted:

According to Opening Arguments (law podcast), all that was done to attempt to claw back was 'please ignore', and they never even took down/changed the hyperlink, lmao

And they went to great lengths to explain that, for normal lawyers acting like not-dickheads at every step of the way, that generally would have been OK. There's a level of professional courtesy and respect given in situations like that where they knew exactly what was meant by 'please ignore' and would have for almost everybody else.

Jones' lawyers were constant dickheads every step of the way and did not get that respect, they got the exact letter of the law and told to go gently caress themselves.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

bird food bathtub posted:

Jones' lawyers were constant dickheads every step of the way and did not get that respect, they got the exact letter of the law and told to go gently caress themselves.

The deposition episodes from Knowledge Fight alone illustrate everything the plaintiff's lawyers went through and how much 'go gently caress yourself'-ery Jones' team deserve. Woof.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Might as well be the SPLC. Jones already calls them some globalist front or something, along with the ADL, Hillary Clinton, Bill and Melinda Gates (God, I can just hear his voice in my head now rattling it off thanks to KF).

And they went to great lengths to explain that, for normal lawyers acting like not-dickheads at every step of the way, that generally would have been OK. There's a level of professional courtesy and respect given in situations like that where they knew exactly what was meant by 'please ignore' and would have for almost everybody else.

Jones' lawyer literally gave the finger in open court and on camera to one of the plaintiffs' attorneys. So yeah.

The other thing that Reynal, Jones' lawyer, didn't do is actually replace the documents as not only did he promise to do so, that's what you're supposed to do in these situations. Which he didn't.

Reynal then tried to argue the next day that now that he knows about this, he should be able to go through it to suss out what is and isn't privileged. To which the judge said that, "The time to do that was during the discovery phase of the trial, which you didn't do. Besides, the January 6 committee now knows about this, so..."

Morter posted:

The deposition episodes from Knowledge Fight alone illustrate everything the plaintiff's lawyers went through and how much 'go gently caress yourself'-ery Jones' team deserve. Woof.

The latest deposition episode makes me want to listen to the first one with Rob Dew again because holy poo poo the first one they did happened AFTER the latest one? I can't understand what...

Actually I'm pretty sure their entire strategy was to just say "I don't know" over and over to stonewall. Gotta wonder if Alex even knew the sanctions were a possible outcome or he just assumed that's a small price to pay to stonewall.

mojo1701a fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 1, 2023

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

mojo1701a posted:

Might as well be the SPLC. Jones already calls them some globalist front or something, along with the ADL, Hillary Clinton, Bill and Melinda Gates (God, I can just hear his voice in my head now rattling it off thanks to KF).

Jones' lawyer literally gave the finger in open court and on camera to one of the plaintiffs' attorneys. So yeah.

The other thing that Reynal, Jones' lawyer, didn't do is actually replace the documents as not only did he promise to do so, that's what you're supposed to do in these situations. Which he didn't.

Reynal then tried to argue the next day that now that he knows about this, he should be able to go through it to suss out what is and isn't privileged. To which the judge said that, "The time to do that was during the discovery phase of the trial, which you didn't do. Besides, the January 6 committee now knows about this, so..."

Yeah Reynal got absolutely rear end-blasted on that one and it was hilarious. "Oh you want to review this stuff now? Well fun fact about that it has stuff that you were supposed to present about four years ago, and didn't, and that it was testified to on record that did not exist, and additionally has illegally held private medical information you should not have had. So about that review...?"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I believe the TX rule is a 10 day clawback, but there are specific requirements that were not followed.

The process of events was this to the best of my memory:

Jones’ CT counsel has an image of his phone because of discovery obligations. Jones files a frivolous bankruptcy to interrupt trials to try and pay off the families with $10 collectively over the next five years. As a part of this process, the bankruptcy counsel asks CT counsel for his case files to review. Norm Pattis gives putative BK counsel an external hard drive with the case files. Bankruptcy is rescinded and no action is taken by that counsel with the files although he did hold onto the hard drive. Reynal is working to be both TX and CT trial counsel and applies to represent Jones in the CT case. He never actually becomes counsel of record. Pattis has BK lawyer give Reynal the hard drive (since they’re both in TX) to prepare. Reynal copies entire hard drive to his server without looking.

As a part of ongoing discovery malfeasance, on the eve of trial (instead of before like he should have), Reynal sends a dropbox link that is supposed to have the pre-trial disclosure materials in it. Bankston instructs his legal assistant to download everything in the link. During this process, Bankston looks through the files already downloaded and realizes that he’s been given a lot of stuff he shouldn’t. Per the rules, he notifies Reynal via email that he thinks he was sent the wrong link. Reynal replies back that he made a mistake, please disregard that disclosure, and the proper disclosure would be forthcoming. Reynal also instructed his staff to terminate that dropbox link.

What Reynal was required to do to claw back the inadvertent disclosure is notify Bankston of every privileged file accidentally disclosed and the nature of said privilege (attorney-client, work product, etc). The rules require specificity. Blanket claims of privilege are not effective. Reynal did not even bring up a blanket privilege claim.

Twelve days later Alex Jones is on the stand and gets impeached with his own text messages. Reynal is so flummoxed by his mistake that he does not even try to object during this questioning, further waiving any objection to Bankston’s use of the records.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I still think about that moment Mark Bankston had in court, the big reveal while Jones was on the stand.

What do you think that feels like?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
And even if he didn't file the proper motions, lawyering is stupid complicated and everyone will make a procedural goof at one point or another, so you can usually expect a bit of good faith if you show some in return.

You could absolutely get away with a "please disregard" unless both opposing counsel and the judge already hate your guts for pulling constant bad faith stunts, including, crucially, in the very same e-mail where Reynal promised he'd provide the correct disclosure ASAP and never did. It was a huge gently caress-up and there were formal and informal mechanisms to undo or prevent it every step of the way and dude slammed every single door in his own face on the way down.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

mdemone posted:

I still think about that moment Mark Bankston had in court, the big reveal while Jones was on the stand.

What do you think that feels like?

When it comes time to review the footage St. Peter is going to rewind over that spot a couple of times.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Bankston had to be absolutely busting at the seams for those 14 days. The constant urge to tell everyone in earshot

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

And then his client lost a billion dollars :lol:

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Murdstone posted:

And then his client lost a billion dollars :lol:

Actually he only lost about 400k-ish in the Texas suit, assuming the total survives challenges on appeal

it was the CT trial where he lost a full billion and was on Norm Pattis's watch

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

KitConstantine posted:

Actually he only lost about 400k-ish in the Texas suit, assuming the total survives challenges on appeal

I thought that happened in the CT trial. It all kind of mixed together on my brain I guess.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

KitConstantine posted:

The CT trial was given a copy of the phone.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I mean the defense lawyer in the TX case did pass on the logs to Norm Pattis, so I mean he certainly helped his client to lose a billion dollars.

He did all he could. :unsmith:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

yeah i've found accidentally produced materials before. each time, the result was a call to opposing counsel to tell them about it (not an email, so they could avoid embarrassment with their client by being the first party to officially raise the issue) as soon as I found it. because, well, they weren't dickheads. in addition, because they're not dickheads, if i tried to be a dick about it the judge would squash me like a bug for me being a dickhead.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I wonder what the exact moment when Bankston went "You know what, gently caress professional courtesy, Reynal is a dick and needs to learn a lesson in humility". Was it before the trial or when Reynal flipped him the bird publicly in court?

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Randalor posted:

I wonder what the exact moment when Bankston went "You know what, gently caress professional courtesy, Reynal is a dick and needs to learn a lesson in humility". Was it before the trial or when Reynal flipped him the bird publicly in court?

My immediate internal response to this was simply “yes”

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Randalor posted:

Definitely before. The wheels were in motion a few days before that final damages hearing began and Jones and his attorneys had spent five years loving around and being massive assholes. Flipping the bird was a moment of "Yeah, it's going to be so sweet to destroy you on a scale so vast that you'll be a cautionary tale in lawschools for centuries," but it was way after the plan was set.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

The middle finger was on day 1, iirc it was after the ‘please disregard’ email. Bankston has the self-discipline of a king fu monk.

The other delicious irony is that if Alex hadn’t testified, or had he engaged in 10% less tomfoolery, the trial would have been over in less than 10 days and the phone image would be inadmissible.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

red19fire posted:

The other delicious irony is that if Alex hadn’t testified, or had he engaged in 10% less tomfoolery, the trial would have been over in less than 10 days and the phone image would be inadmissible.

I can't remember if Bankston ever said it, but it wouldn't have surprised me if that was part of the strategy. Like, he KNEW that Jones on the stand would lead to an awful lot of back-and-forth, objections, etc. that would let him run out the clock. Because holy poo poo did Alex ever take the most obvious bait in both trials.

By the way, what's the news on the next trial? Doesn't he have two more coming up?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The only thing I can find is that jury hearings on damages from the other Texas case that he lost are set to begin in March

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

red19fire posted:

The middle finger was on day 1, iirc it was after the ‘please disregard’ email. Bankston has the self-discipline of a king fu monk.

That's what I mean. If I remember the dates correctly, it was just a few days before the trial started that the link was sent, notified, and asked to disregard. I'm curious if Bankston had already decided to wait out the clock, or if he was going to show Reynal professional courtesy, then Reynal showed live and in person that no, he wasn't incompetent, he was malicious and decided "gently caress that" and set the timer on his phone.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Randalor posted:

That's what I mean. If I remember the dates correctly, it was just a few days before the trial started that the link was sent, notified, and asked to disregard. I'm curious if Bankston had already decided to wait out the clock, or if he was going to show Reynal professional courtesy, then Reynal showed live and in person that no, he wasn't incompetent, he was malicious and decided "gently caress that" and set the timer on his phone.

Bankston has said the former, but it's not like Reynal being Reynal made him regret that decision.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Remember the trials occurred only for the question of damages since Jones had dicked the plaintiffs around during discovery twice in two different states leading to the default judgment. That's unheard of, and to have it happen twice? The quality and character of his counsel was evident from the word go. It's also not a coincidence that both attorneys faced disciplinary measures after the trials, though the Texas bar is a lovely organization that lets you get away with everything so nothing happened to Reynal.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

Bankston has said the former, but it's not like Reynal being Reynal made him regret that decision.

Oh okay, in that case, he probably got the maniacal laughter out of his system when he got the "Please disregard. Will send updated link" email with nothing else, so by the time the trial started, it was just a matter of not having too large a grin.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Randalor posted:

Oh okay, in that case, he probably got the maniacal laughter out of his system when he got the "Please disregard. Will send updated link" email with nothing else, so by the time the trial started, it was just a matter of not having too large a grin.

I wonder if he practiced the "heh heh heh, yes Mr. Jones, indeed" part

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
In case any gbs folk have not seen it, the southern poverty law center is releasing some of alex’s texts and lol lmao

https://twitter.com/MichaelEHayden/status/1620877905747398656?s=20&t=gQzkhVW04zVdB8GxDbVVCw

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

rotinaj posted:

In case any gbs folk have not seen it, the southern poverty law center is releasing some of alex’s texts and lol lmao

https://twitter.com/MichaelEHayden/status/1620877905747398656?s=20&t=gQzkhVW04zVdB8GxDbVVCw

I can here to post the same. It’s a pro click. Really shows Jones as the trash fire of a human that he is.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I'm sure it will surprise everyone to know that Alex Jones isn't very good at spelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

He seems like the worst type of texter. I got annoyed reading them, getting those had to be an absolute pain in the rear end.