Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Terper posted:

The next game will have *rolls dice* biorhythm

That's what the odd/even skills in Awakening and Heroes are referencing. Biorhythm was such a mess that a future game referencing it will have a bunch of overpowered odd-turns-only/even-turns-only abilities.

Also, they should bring back Authority stars as way to justify stupid gimmick maps like Conquest had. Why does the map have this dumb gimmick? It's because of the bosses personal Authority skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

In the Fates remake 30 years from now, after his map Fuga rips off the mask he's been wearing. Surprise fuckers, it was Saias and his 10 stars all along!

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So it’s around Chapter 9 and I want to try out Tiki’s paralogue.

This is hell.

What the gently caress is this poo poo.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

jimmydalad posted:

This is hell.

Which difficulty? I just completed it on maddening on the last page. My team is there.

Stay at the bottom and spawn camp the reinforcements.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

Which difficulty? I just completed it on maddening on the last page. My team is there.

Stay at the bottom and spawn camp the reinforcements.

Yeah, I’m trying on Maddening. So is the strategy to sit at the bottom the entire time and let them come to you?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Yeah, Tiki's paralogue is only hard if you try to race the reinforcement waves. If you just sit and kill them until they run out it's fairly trivial.

jimmydalad posted:

Yeah, I’m trying on Maddening. So is the strategy to sit at the bottom the entire time and let them come to you?

There's a limited number of reinforcement waves once they start spawning. You'll know you're at the end when you get a wave of three dragons instead of two dragons + two dudes.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Wait, they run out? I thought they just infinitely respawned.

Also, I promoted Alcryst and he can solo the dragons so that’s cool.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
On maddening the reinforcements are 2 dragons 2 dudes not 1 dragon every 3 turns. Eventually the mooks on the top right of the map also join and go downwards that's where the trouble begins. Save some engages for that.

Edit: once a wave with 3 dragons spawns that is the final one.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you wait until you get corrin you can also just wall off the reinforcements indefinitely with the ice pillars

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Just play moderately quickly and the reinforcements won't even show up until you are pretty much fighting Tiki already. It's not that hard even on Maddening to do that.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I had Louis fight Ike in the arena and they spent like 5 minutes hitting each other for 3 damage, it was awesome

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

jimmydalad posted:

This is hell.

Did this mission at the same time as you give or take a chapter. I just camped Yunaka in the hallway and she killed everyone with impunity while I opened the chests and slowly did the mission.

It look me like 35 turns lol

E: Ah poo poo maddening idk good luck

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I’d rather get Tiki sooner to exploit Starsphere and have access to her emblem. I don’t think my party has enough stats to go through quickly so killing on spawn seems to be a good idea.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I did it without taking any archers, as soon as it opened up and I have PTSD.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i'd certainly prefer a new fe game to have writing that was 'three house without all the messy half-finished stuff' but everyone complaining about the writing being the Worst Thing Ever should be forced to go play fates again

the writing is goofy in a kids cartoon way and the time crystal getting repeatedly stolen first by veyle then zelkov is a bit silly but it's not some gigantic plot hole? it's fine at telling the story it wants to just it's not a particularly interesting story but it's also not a stupid nonsense story. a bigger problem is some of the character gimmicks getting run into the ground in supports but there's certainly enough decent supports to make up for that.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

WrightOfWay posted:

Just play moderately quickly and the reinforcements won't even show up until you are pretty much fighting Tiki already. It's not that hard even on Maddening to do that.

If you're doing it very early on maddening, you will almost certainly bog down in the hallways and get pincered, especially when you have to double back to run over to Tiki, unless you leave a holding force back to intercept the reinforcements. Your very early game units will almost assuredly need multiple actions to down enemies there and won't be able to aggressively tank multiple hits, so you'll need to slow your roll a little and that'll give time for the reinforcements to catch up given the ice floors.

Also it's one of the very few opportunities you're going to get on maddening to farm some easy experience, so you might as well take advantage.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

lih posted:

it's fine at telling the story it wants to just it's not a particularly interesting story but it's also not a stupid nonsense story.

I would like the story if it actually told it decently. I have no problems with the plot on paper, but the execution is like bad and I wish people stop going "at least it's not fate" as a defensive criticism. I would say the core beats actually pick up interest when Veyle joins the party because there's *something* to bounce off Alear, but then the other bad execution of the story happens where things take 3x as long to actually say one thing.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the execution seemed fine to me

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

I would like the story if it actually told it decently. I have no problems with the plot on paper, but the execution is like bad and I wish people stop going "at least it's not fate" as a defensive criticism. I would say the core beats actually pick up interest when Veyle joins the party because there's *something* to bounce off Alear, but then the other bad execution of the story happens where things take 3x as long to actually say one thing.
the plot is honestly extremely snappy and straightforward so i dont really get this complaint at all.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Endorph posted:

the plot is honestly extremely snappy and straightforward so i dont really get this complaint at all.

Marni's death scene was basically cut from the Gundam F91 book of doing everything in one scene, Zephia's death speech and death--death speech needs an editing pass, I think the Veyle/Luminara part 2 meeting is great and more examples of what I think are good moments of the game. The bad moments are Luminara's first death at the beginning which dragged hard.

Most of my problems is the *execution* which are easy fixes of putting like....any of the first part of the spoiler sprinkled throughout the game. And anytime things like the spoiler above slow things down and badly, it's when it really bothers me from an editorial standpoint.

And the game generally fails at the one thing clearly which is not have vocal version of the theme song playing in the final mission, the gently caress are you doing

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Kanos posted:

If you're doing it very early on maddening, you will almost certainly bog down in the hallways and get pincered, especially when you have to double back to run over to Tiki, unless you leave a holding force back to intercept the reinforcements. Your very early game units will almost assuredly need multiple actions to down enemies there and won't be able to aggressively tank multiple hits, so you'll need to slow your roll a little and that'll give time for the reinforcements to catch up given the ice floors.

Also it's one of the very few opportunities you're going to get on maddening to farm some easy experience, so you might as well take advantage.

I did it after Chapter 7 on Maddening (because I wanted to bring Alcryst, plus you get an additional Master Seal) and I finished the map before the first group of reinforcements reached the end of the hallway. Just stand on ice tiles, split up your forces between the ones who are going top + taking on Tiki and a few who are going left, and use your engages. Edelgard's Falling Star combat art in particular is super good against the dragons.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Most of my problems is the *execution* which are easy fixes of putting like....any of the first part of the spoiler sprinkled throughout the game. And anytime things like the spoiler above slow things down and badly, it's when it really bothers me from an editorial standpoint
those scenes honestly felt like, extremely snappy to me. like the exact scenes you're pointing out. marni is a bit funny in terms of dumping everything about her in one scene but it still wasnt really like, dragged out.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
those scenes were all great imo

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxlwK9ilqWg&t=65s

the writing owns, actually

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
The plot itself isn't really terrible, pretty standard FE fare. But yeah I'd agree with the execution. Some of the story beats are just so poorly done, the glaring one in my memory being (ch20) where you give up all hope is written essentially as:

Alear: Oh no, I'm not the divine dragon, we lose
Sigurd: but you can use INVOCATIONS and PRAYERS
Alear: oh I am the divine dragon, we can win

Also going on a continent-spanning crusade and risking the deaths of your best friends/army to save some girl you met for three minutes who is now your Best Friend

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

acumen posted:

Also going on a continent-spanning crusade and risking the deaths of your best friends/army to save some girl you met for three minutes who is now your Best Friend

There's a decent amount of dissonance between the way the story tells things and how the game works too. I didn't even realise we couldn't return to Elusia because like....I have just been there and I was having training skirmishes in the castle!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

acumen posted:

to be fair sigurd would specifically approve of this one

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I mean you kind of need to go after her anyways even if you weren't trying to save her.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I just mash through the talking bits now. They're not motivating me to make numbers go up. Get rings, kill the purple man. That's enough for me.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

people are really drat mad about this game being goofy and fun huh

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Augus posted:

I didn't realise this series drew such incredibly strong opinions. I played 3h and didn't really read much posting about it.

I've received what I paid for. Srpg with lots of systems and tricks to learn with children's anime top-coat. Perfectly acceptable.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Augus posted:

Devastatingly

Certainly wasn't any of that in 3H. No sir.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The 3H ring is good because it correctly presents Edelgard, Dmitri, and Claude exactly as they were in 3H: deeply annoying idiots who deserve to spent a thousand years making each other miserable.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Supremezero posted:

Devastatingly

Certainly wasn't any of that in 3H. No sir.

one would think so reading some of the comments about how people turned to dust on contact with the funny support skits

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh theres plenty of things to criticize in the writing and i can fully understand someone not clicking with it its just very funny how many people are trying to sound like internet tough guys about criticizing the plot of Fire Emblem Engage

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Endorph posted:

tbh theres plenty of things to criticize in the writing and i can fully understand someone not clicking with it its just very funny how many people are trying to sound like internet tough guys about criticizing the plot of Fire Emblem Engage

Oh there's absolutely things to criticize. It's just kind of amazing when they're criticizing something that was also a problem in 3 houses, while insisting that 3 houses was perfect and great

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Chapter 17 has me sweating goddamn.

have 2 time rewinds left
what a gauntlet of commanders to go thru, the first two was fine, but had a lot of trouble with the tanky guy, managed to find a way by luring him to the trees and managed to trade enough misses from him that I was able to take him down.
the giant lizards aren't as bad, but I'm pretty much saving both Twin Strikes+Astra Storm to get one down without any risk.

I know I'm mean, but I laughed when Veyle found out about her dual personality and the mean general lady was laughing. I am predicting at least two of the big generals will turn heel sooner or later, maybe the tanky knight guy, he doesn't seem that bad.

Still have one lizard and like 2 more commanders to go thru

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
This is gonna be a big block of spoilers but I just have to whine about how this game handles certain plot concepts.

(spoilers up to ch24) Everything with Zephia and Griss's death just felt so stupidly handled. Like at this point I've already "killed" them half a dozen times only to have them magically retreat, so seeing Zephia finally fall off that wyvern was a deeply satisfying moment. Except whoops she's not dead and she needs to speechify and decide to help us for some reason that even she can't explain. Griss is dead though right? Zephia even says so! But wait, he's not! He needs to have a speech too so they can pontificate on Family before both of them finally loving die. And then in the very next scene Zephia's crystal transports us to the past, and who do we come across but... Zephia again! It makes complete plot sense for her to be there and yet when she appeared, the only thing I could think was "Are you loving kidding me?! I'm going to have to fight her again right after I killed her?!" Fortunately I didn't have to, but the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth and cheapened the hell out of the scene that had just preceded it.

Alear has the same problem, where their first death is a seriously impactful moment, and being revived as a Corrupted feels like a genuinely interesting and meaningful sacrifice in service of continuing the fight. But then whoops they're dying again and getting revived again by the MacGuffins, and the whole thing just feels stupid and cheap, because we literally just had the sad death scene. Yes I know it makes plot sense, I don't loving care, it feels like rear end. Why should I care about anyone dying in this universe when no one ever actually dies? Hell, Alear didn't even have to disintegrate there, you could have had the Emblems "revive" him by just un-Corrupting him and making him an Emblem and it would have had a much better impact.

It really says something about how good the maps and characters are that I still think this is going to be one of my favorite FEs. But my god, when the writing in this game gets bad, it gets real bad.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

acumen posted:

The plot itself isn't really terrible, pretty standard FE fare. But yeah I'd agree with the execution. Some of the story beats are just so poorly done, the glaring one in my memory being (ch20) where you give up all hope is written essentially as:

Alear: Oh no, I'm not the divine dragon, we lose
Sigurd: but you can use INVOCATIONS and PRAYERS
Alear: oh I am the divine dragon, we can win

Honestly I legitimately kinda liked that the whole parentage reveal wasn't a prolonged source of despair and mistrust but essentially just "Oh no, I'm the villain's child, mine is a bloodline of evil!" "Okay but like, does it actually matter? You're not evil, he doesn't give a poo poo about you, you can still do the necessary ring stuff to beat him, who cares?" "...You know what, fair, let's go get the last ring and gently caress this guy up."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Augus posted:

Yeah really. This has been a chill thread since release but drat some people are loving pissed now it seems