Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Motto posted:

Your account balance is shared across systems so if you add to it via PC or Switch you can still buy on WiiU/3DS.

Huh, you learn something new everyday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
can vouch for Dragonball Fusions being the oddest gimmick for a monster tamer game that I know of. pretty weird and wonderful!

you collect Gokus to make bigger Gokus

wizard2 fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 2, 2023

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Motto posted:

Your account balance is shared across systems so if you add to it via PC or Switch you can still buy on WiiU/3DS.
And you can still buy games off the PC shop, so just use that. None of the console eShops are good anyways.

wizard2 posted:

can vouch for Dragonball Fusions being the oddest gimmick for a monster tamer game that I know of. pretty weird and wonderful!

you collect Gokus to make bigger Gokus
:yeah:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

C-Euro posted:

Oh yeah that game rules, I thought I had heard that it was an easy in-road for hacking.

I still have a little money left on this thing for whatever reason, but at this point I have so much to play that I'll probably just see if anything I already own has DLC that I never picked up. :files:ing whole games can wait until I've actually booted up everything I own at least once, which has been a fun recent weekend project.

I might get Retro Rampage DX this week myself to clear out most of my remaining credit, elder gods know when I'll actually play it!

I spend most of the remainder during one of the times Atlas had games on sale, loading up on Etrian Odysseys. I like playing those just before I go to bed.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
How's 3DS emulation these days? I have a modded 2DS XL but it feels kind of cheap and I hate the rubber little kiddie look on it. Battery is also a bit weak since I bought it used. Tempted to pick up a new 3DS XL and transfer all my stuff over but part of me is like well if modern devices can emulate it well enough....

I tried it a bit on my steam deck and it seemed fine for some games but I didn't really dig into the details. Not to mention the form factor is really hard to replicate, so it might be worth picking up a new 3DS XL while they're still around 200 bucks

I still have about a dozen games I never got around to including fire emblem fates and a few DQ games

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I've never liked emulating the DS family. I'm sure it works fine but I hate trying to do dual screen on single screen. Definitely buy one if you can while they're still available/affordable

I got my backup console monitoring 3dsdeals on reddit. They post when gamestop has refurb in stock

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The second screen became a lot less important with the 3DS, but I totally agree. Emulating dual screens is a pain and never felt right.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I can stomach DS emulation on one screen since the combined aspect ratios fit nicely on one widescreen display but 3DS and it’s mismatched screens are a no go for me

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah, I'll just keep an eye out for a new 3DS XL console. I guess I have plenty of other stuff to play in the meantime

I'll also have to redo the PSP joystick cap hack, it felt wrong ripping out components on a hard to find console when I did it on my 2ds XL but its a great mod and a huge improvement over the nub.

E: Jesus the condition on some of these is ridiculous, and they're asking like 250 for them on eBay lol, touch screens scratched to hell and back, finish full of huge scuffs, obviously no stylus or charger on a ton of them but that I can overlook. 250 is a little bit much for your little brother's second hand abused machine though

Locally I'm seeing a few for 180 to 220 bux, but the entire place is in a catastrophic freeze at the moment with hundreds of thousands of folks without power so it'll have to wait

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 2, 2023

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

KingSlime posted:

Yeah, I'll just keep an eye out for a new 3DS XL console. I guess I have plenty of other stuff to play in the meantime

I'll also have to redo the PSP joystick cap hack, it felt wrong ripping out components on a hard to find console when I did it on my 2ds XL but its a great mod and a huge improvement over the nub.

E: Jesus the condition on some of these is ridiculous, and they're asking like 250 for them on eBay lol, touch screens scratched to hell and back, finish full of huge scuffs, obviously no stylus or charger on a ton of them but that I can overlook. 250 is a little bit much for your little brother's second hand abused machine though

Locally I'm seeing a few for 180 to 220 bux, but the entire place is in a catastrophic freeze at the moment with hundreds of thousands of folks without power so it'll have to wait

One of my chiefest Gaming Regrets is that I was trying to be fiscally responsible when Nintendo had a bunch of 2DS XLs up on the refurb store. I should've just bitten the bullet. Now if my 3DS ever craps out I'll have to gamble on a more expensive system or a more mysterious provenance.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
everybody that wants a DSXL or 3DS is best off buying from Jbone in the SA mart. he is importing cheaper ones from Japan

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Honestly, check Goodwill for a cheap 3DS. But get a new battery

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

beer gas canister posted:

everybody that wants a DSXL or 3DS is best off buying from Jbone in the SA mart. he is importing cheaper ones from Japan

he does good work

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

beer gas canister posted:

:yeah:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i excavated my 3ds xl to finish filling up the sd card before nintendo turned off the lights and i'd really forgotten what a beautiful little console this is. i never enjoyed the switch as a handheld but the 3ds's form factor is so much nicer

and while the 3d screen felt like trend-chasing at release, now that the fad has passed i can appreciate it a lot more than i used to

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

they should make a 3ds 3 or smth, the 3ds was extremely win and it kinda sucks they're scarce now

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
As a console the Switch is better than the 3ds.
The 3ds has better games, though. And it isn't even an argument.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think the Switch may catch up by the end if it gets a Rhythm Heaven, Picross 3D, and an Etrian Odyssey but I still like my 3DS a little bit better as of right now

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

hatty posted:

I think the Switch may catch up by the end if it gets a Rhythm Heaven, Picross 3D, and an Etrian Odyssey but I still like my 3DS a little bit better as of right now

Just in time for the Switch 2 to be completely incompatible with the Switch library :D

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Snackmar posted:

Just in time for the Switch 2 to be completely incompatible with the Switch library :D

And 2/3 of the releases will just be Switch re-releases.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yoooo

I just picked up a mint new 3sd XL from someone for 180 bucks

I don't think she really knew or cared what she was selling me, feeling pretty good about this purchase. Ty thread yall rock

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Alright got my library all tidy and installed on my new console! I got dragged into Dragon quest theaterrhythm which is really cool, although I'm not really following along with the equipment stuff. I use Google translate here and there to figure out what the game is telling me and the dice game is actually really fun but mostly I'm just playing it until final bar.

Some great tracks in here along with some pretty boring generic ones honestly. Also, each game only has like five or six songs, and the later entries have even less for a total of around 50 songs or so. Pretty awesome for a fan of the franchise but eh yeah I see why they didn't bother to localize it. If you haven't played it though, definitely find a way to experience it. It's pretty neat.

The important part is that It made me realize I have Dragon quest 7 installed. I've never played this entry despite being a die-hard, it's just wild to think that there's this whole rear end brand new DQ game I've never experienced

Anyway, I'm dipping my toes into it and it's really fun if extremely dragon quest. It sure likes to take its time on everything, but I don't mind it because I feel like the game is telling me hey just chill m enjoy yourself. It took a little while to get to combat, but I assumed it must have been horrendous on the original PSX version because I heard this was improved significantly.

I don't know after playing persona, I've become more patient about RPGs making me wait an hour or three before the first combat encounter.

After this I think 10 is the only one I have yet to play and eh considering its mmo roots I'm not especially interested. Ah poo poo I never finished 3 either but that can wait until the HD remake

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 9, 2023

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

7 is great. In a weird way, I think the US release of the 3DS Remake really benefitted from coming out a little bit after Witcher 3.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Is Kirby’s Extra Epic Yarn worth paying the full eshop $40 price tag before the shop closes? I’m seeing the cartridge sell for stupid money on eBay.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

No. Kirby games are easy but this was super dull.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Xenomrph posted:

Is Kirby’s Extra Epic Yarn worth paying the full eshop $40 price tag before the shop closes? I’m seeing the cartridge sell for stupid money on eBay.

I feel like this had to be some kind of pump scam. Epic Yarn had so much new old stock floating around right up until the very end of of the 3DS life cycle that I am absolutely certain there are people sitting on boxes of sealed copies. I'd wait a while on it since it's likely to get a Switch port anyway

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kirby's Epic Yarn is great. I never played the 3DS port but I loved the Wii game. It's very much the kind of game where you have to go for 100% completion if you want any sort of challenge whatsoever though.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1633310822108901378

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Epic Yarn is extremely cute even on the Kirby scale

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I was curious and physical copies of Extra Epic Yarn are really loving expensive online. I bought mine in a Target in 2020 when it was one of the hand handful of games they still had. The last physical 3DS game I bought in a regular store until I found Sushi Striker last year.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Let’s say you have a microSD card in your 3DS, and you buy a new, bigger microSD card, how easy is it to transfer stuff from the old card to the new one and be rolling again?

I know I had to do it once but it’s been years so I don’t remember what it entails.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Xenomrph posted:

Let’s say you have a microSD card in your 3DS, and you buy a new, bigger microSD card, how easy is it to transfer stuff from the old card to the new one and be rolling again?

I know I had to do it once but it’s been years so I don’t remember what it entails.

as far as i understand you can literally just copy paste the files after plugging each into a computer

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

NINTENDO DOESN’T WANT YOU TO KNOW THIS ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Yeah, copy and pasting to another SD card sounds like it shouldn’t work but it does. It’s uncharacteristically straightforward of Nintendo.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

The whole WayForward catalogue in on sale FYI, as well as the catalogue that includes Steamworld Digs 1 and 2.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

Get ready to practice screwing: the hardest part of the process.

You just copy the contents, they're signed with a key saved on your system that will change if you ever wipe the system. As long as you don't do that, the 3DS will happily operate on the better card.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Remember to use the cfw formatter if it's above 32gb though. The 3DS only supports SDHC properly.

E: The guide has it under GodMode9 usage instructions.

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 9, 2023

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

With that caveat, you can slap a 512gb card into it no problem

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It will take longer to boot off a larger card though, mine has a 128 in it and it takes a while to cold boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Capcom's stuff is now on mega-discount for the rest of the month, if you didn't pick up anything from the last eight times it's gone on sale in the last year. Kind of wish that I liked Phoenix Wright more than I do...

Also, was that this thread or elsewhere that somebody said the Mega Man Legacy Collection was just OK?