Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

fyallm posted:

Just pre-ordered my s23 ultra as well, going from my note 9 to this thing.. So sad I have to get rid of my note 9
I'm just going to get my S22 Ultra back from service after having the screen replaced. It only took a month.

I've been using the Note 9 in the meantime and somehow it just feels much better to use. It has to go though as none of my work poo poo is supported anymore on this version.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

mobby_6kl posted:

I've been using the Note 9 in the meantime and somehow it just feels much better to use. It has to go though as none of my work poo poo is supported anymore on this version.

Ugh don't say that. I have been using this thing without a single thing I dislike about it for the last ~5 years but like you, I can't use it anymore because of the lack of security updates. Really hoping they got the s23 ultra right

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I love the s21, just hope the screen on the new one doesn't scratch as easily. Also super psyched to have a s pen again

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
february and still no january update for p7p on fi

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

BoosterDuck posted:

Looks like my Pixel 4a is on the update from the beginning of December. Their support website says it should be getting updates until August...

Unlocked on Verizon prepaid.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Resdfru posted:

Just pre-ordered 2 S23 Ultras from Fi. They have a really good deal for existing customers, 600 dollars off teh 512GB version so its 25 a month. Plus, trading in the old S21 Ultra so the new phone will be 100 bucks.

Just checked some TIVs at Fi:

S22 5G 128GB: $130 ($65 cracked screen)
S21 5G 128GB: $270 ($235 cracked screen)
S22U 5G 256GB: $280 ($140 cracked screen)
S21U 256GB: $401 ($323.50 cracked screen)

Trade-in logic continues to baffle me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Given how poorly the S22 series performed sales-wise and how soft the smartphone market is right now. I'm no longer convinced that the pre-order trade in deals are going to be the best.

I had my finger over the pre-order button to trade in the S22 U for S23 U, but the trade in value isn't quite the same as the insane stuff they were doing with the foldables and I'm not convinced that the new camera system is going to bring any real improvements.

At the end of the day it would have been like $680 out of pocket to trade it in (you can only apply the $150 pre-order and service credit towards extras at checkout and I'm all full up on chargers and buds for the next 500 years and I'm not buying $150 worth of cases). Even with my crazy habits, I'm having trouble shelling out nearly $700 for a phone I likely won't use much compared to the P7P or other foldables.

Also, the S21U was only like $120 less in trade so I think I'm finally at the point where I should just hold on to the S22 U and see what the S24 U may bring compared to the Pixel 8.

Now, if reviews say that Samsung really knocked it out of the park with the camera experience and it blows away the Pixel in low light (while solving stuff that plagued them like shutter lag) and if the SD8 Gen 2 chip delivers magical battery life or something, I may consider it. But there's probably going to be another "double storage bonus trade in" event in like 3 months when these phones fail to move.

Even the tech reviewers are having a yawnfest at the announcement. MKBHD made it his goal for the hands on impressions video to be the shortest video he put out so far this year. Dave2d barely clocked in at 3min 50s for his video.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 1, 2023

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

BoosterDuck posted:

At this point they'll probably just roll it into the February update.

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass

BoosterDuck posted:

I can beat that, P5 on Mint still stuck on the Nov 5th update

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

BoosterDuck posted:

Same for my P7 on TMO. Annoying.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
oh I got the android auto update and it's certainly nicer but uh, does only Maps support the split view, not Waze?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

fyallm posted:

Ugh don't say that. I have been using this thing without a single thing I dislike about it for the last ~5 years but like you, I can't use it anymore because of the lack of security updates. Really hoping they got the s23 ultra right

Got the S22 back. I think it's partly software - the new one is more locked down and I can't change the DPI, so everything is too huge for my taste. The other thing is that I think I mildly prefer the fingerprint scanner on the back, an the thinner edges on Note9 somehow feel nicer to hold, despite the phones being the same thickness. And the headphone jack. And S-pen on the right side somehow makes more sense to me.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The big thing with these phones is going to be the adaptive refresh rate, unless thats already been a thing on the 22 line. I haven't been following that closely but since the pixel 6 is the worst phone I've ever owned, I'm considering Samsung once again.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

kirbysuperstar posted:

oh I got the android auto update and it's certainly nicer but uh, does only Maps support the split view, not Waze?

I was going to say it may be because of Google merging the Waze and Maps teams means they are losing focus on the app, but looking it up I'm seeing that it's in the Waze beta, so will probably come to the main app shortly.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

S23 seems like such a miniscule update over the S22 line that I can imagine a lot of people skipping this generation. I never really thought the SoC on my S22U was particularly awful despite what everyone claimed. I use my phone for web browsing and some video watching and mine always made it through the day. My pixel 7 pro does as well so the new Snapdragon chip just isn't that interesting to me.

I think those coming from older gen Samsung devices or have had a bad taste from the pixel line will be plenty happy though, especially Samsungs new found affinity for software updates.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Kinda hoping Pixels or even OnePluses are still decent/relevant when I need to replace my phone. I got my bill down to $30/CAD a month which is unheard of here, and at this point any subsidised phone (i.e. Samsungs) is extremely unlikely to be worth loving with my bill.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It’s a big update for Exynos regions since it’s all Snapdragon now.

The TSMC produced SD8+ Gen 1 and SD8 Gen 2 are a big step up in efficiency compared to the SD8 Gen 1. If you aren’t stressing your phone to the point of throttling, then the main way you would see those improvements is battery life. So that’s a very much independent situation if you need more battery life.

That’s less of an issue for the S22U vs the base S22 which probably had the worst battery life of any flagship level device in 2022. The larger battery and better SoC should make a huge difference at the base end which is great news for anyone that wants a smaller phone. Similarly, I would expect the changes to make the S23+ a really good battery life phone rather than just ok.

Beyond that, we need reviews to see if the camera system in the S23U is much improved, if the better SoC processing improves camera quality of the S23 and S23+, if Victus 2 has real world benefits.

Stuff like that can add up and they may end up being very solid phones that fix the glaring flaws of last gen, but they don’t bring much NEW to the table.

There were a whole host of things people were hoping for that they didn’t include out of cost or the tech not being ready. They didn’t gave it the qualcomm sat support, they didn’t move to the dual finger or full screen fingerprint sensor, none of the advanced battery tech that Samsung is developing is in these devices.

They are safe spec bumps and refinements but bring little new to the table.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 2, 2023

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

mobby_6kl posted:

Got the S22 back. I think it's partly software - the new one is more locked down and I can't change the DPI, so everything is too huge for my taste. The other thing is that I think I mildly prefer the fingerprint scanner on the back, an the thinner edges on Note9 somehow feel nicer to hold, despite the phones being the same thickness. And the headphone jack. And S-pen on the right side somehow makes more sense to me.

The fingerprint on the back makes so much more sense. I am going to miss that feature greatly, it is just a more natural position. And yeah I just honestly think the note 9 was just a perfect phone. still cant believe headphone jacks arent a thing anymore

fyallm fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 2, 2023

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Mental Hospitality posted:

S23 seems like such a miniscule update over the S22 line that I can imagine a lot of people skipping this generation. I never really thought the SoC on my S22U was particularly awful despite what everyone claimed. I use my phone for web browsing and some video watching and mine always made it through the day. My pixel 7 pro does as well so the new Snapdragon chip just isn't that interesting to me.

I think those coming from older gen Samsung devices or have had a bad taste from the pixel line will be plenty happy though, especially Samsungs new found affinity for software updates.

The biggest thing for the base S23 model might be an improved battery life with the new SOC as that was reportedly pretty terrible on the S22.

Interested to see a battery test.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Hey, no idea where to ask this and I didn't see a general/small questions thread specific to the subforum: I got a Pixel 6 on the Google Fi plan a little back, it's been working very well for me, except that I'm working with limited data because I'm on a fixed income, and that income is, uh, small. But I keep getting spikes of Chrome using data seemingly beyond me just browsing a couple casual website because I'm on the bus or whatever - one day it told me I had used Chrome for 21 minutes, and it used 1.6 gigs during that time, and I didn't do any downloading! Just casual browsing, and at least like five minutes of that were (or SHOULD have been) on wi-fi. Is this, like, an obvious issue where anybody familiar with smartphones would be aware of the easy fix?

Possibly relevant: I also use a surprising amount of battery life, like my previous Pixel 4a used to go a couple days without needing a charge because I don't use it much, but this one which I hear everybody saying has longer battery life loses about 75-80% by the end of the day. What's my phone doing behind my back?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

eXXon posted:

Just checked some TIVs at Fi:

S22 5G 128GB: $130 ($65 cracked screen)
S21 5G 128GB: $270 ($235 cracked screen)
S22U 5G 256GB: $280 ($140 cracked screen)
S21U 256GB: $401 ($323.50 cracked screen)

Trade-in logic continues to baffle me.

I don't understand why verizon won't even let me trade in my moto g power from 2020, they accept a ton of other phones from that era. I guess it was too good a value at the time?

Is there a good link somewhere for figuring out what model of the new samsung lineup to get? I'm a budget buyer but want (aka need, since my land internet is out) a 5g hotspot. I believe I need to wait for their A series which hasn't been announced yet but should be 'soon'.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 2, 2023

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I wonder if its caching pages in the background, is that a thing? Or just really out of control ads. You could try this: data saver mode on chrome

quote:

On either iOS or Android, you can reduce your data usage from Chrome up to 50%.

Open Chrome -> Click on the menu (vertical button with three dots on top right) -> Select Settings -> Reduce data usage / Data Saver -> slide it “ON”

(On older Chrome version: Open Chrome -> Click on the menu (vertical button with three dots on the right) -> “More” -> Select Settings -> Reduce data usage -> slide it “ON” )

also as far as supposedly being on Wifi, when I got my s21 years ago I had an issue with stuff using data when I was on wifi and there was a smart wifi setting that used cell data if the phone thought the wifi wasn't good enough. Once I disabled that it was better. Not sure if thats a default android setting or a Samsung one but its something to look for.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1j5p4iNvRM

This guy has a pretty good indepth video about the improvements to the Gen 2. Surprisingly it nearly caught up with A15 and A16(mainly because there was no improvement to A16) in terms of CPU. The efficiency has improved significantly. The GPU surpassed the A16.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

And neither platform is even remotely stressed by the average use case of the buyers.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Resdfru posted:

I wonder if its caching pages in the background, is that a thing? Or just really out of control ads. You could try this: data saver mode on chrome

also as far as supposedly being on Wifi, when I got my s21 years ago I had an issue with stuff using data when I was on wifi and there was a smart wifi setting that used cell data if the phone thought the wifi wasn't good enough. Once I disabled that it was better. Not sure if thats a default android setting or a Samsung one but its something to look for.

Apparently they cut this poo poo out last year:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/2/23/22947441/google-lite-mode-data-saver-chrome-android-discontinued

Ballsy move for a company that charges ten bucks a gig on their non-unlimited plan!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Uthor posted:

I was going to say it may be because of Google merging the Waze and Maps teams means they are losing focus on the app, but looking it up I'm seeing that it's in the Waze beta, so will probably come to the main app shortly.

Yeah actually this morning there was a little bubble saying the dash view is coming soon, so hey question answered I guess

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

John Lee posted:

Apparently they cut this poo poo out last year:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/2/23/22947441/google-lite-mode-data-saver-chrome-android-discontinued

Ballsy move for a company that charges ten bucks a gig on their non-unlimited plan!

Oh dumb. Could try brave browser and see if it helps since it natively blocks a bunch of garbage

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
my pixel 4 XL battery is hosed (? in the battery icon because of a connecter issue). considering an s23U if my discount guy comes through, but never owned a sarnsmug. i heard the UI and updates used to be absolute garbage but is better now?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Speaking of old Pixels, my Pixel 3 XL is finally reaching end of life. Is the Pixel 7 any good? I am tempted to just bite the bullet, I've loved my 3 XL so I figure I am happy to stay in the Pixel line plus I have google fi.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Kwolok posted:

Speaking of old Pixels, my Pixel 3 XL is finally reaching end of life. Is the Pixel 7 any good? I am tempted to just bite the bullet, I've loved my 3 XL so I figure I am happy to stay in the Pixel line plus I have google fi.

Yeah, if you liked the 3, there's no reason to get anything but a 7. It is good, it is a Pixel.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Kwolok posted:

I went from a 3aXL to a 7 Pro and absolutely no regrets.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Got my Pixel 7 as an upgrade from my P6 and it was immediately noticeable. Great phone, would recommend.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I went from a 3xl to a 7, and have no regrets. I like the narrower body on the 7 more than the 3xl, if anything.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I'm I ever going to get the pixel update on tmo lmao my phone hasn't updated since dec or nov now

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have the January update on my Pixel 6. On Verizon Prepaid, fwiw. :shrug:

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I can't see a single reason to upgrade my S21+ at this point in time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have the January update on my Pixel 6. On Verizon Prepaid, fwiw. :shrug:

T-Mobile is holding it back on their network and MVOs that use them like Google Fi.

Google's radio silence on this really loving annoying. I ended up just side loading, it's been fine.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

saw a one plus 10 pro for $499, and it seems quite appealing. i've had a pixel 3a for the past nearly 3 years, and the 10 pro destroys it in every area (as it should since it's a flagship), with the only question mark being the camera. the 3a is pretty average all around in specs, but the camera was fantastic (though i should probably mention i was coming from a trash phone that could do only 5 mp :barf: ) .

i've read reviews that say it's "good" for a flagship but not great. so anyone know if a "good" flagship camera from 2022 is better than a midrange pixel from 2019?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
So I pulled the trigger on the pixel 7 pro. I'm new to curve displays, can/ should I put a screen protector on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Victus does get micro-scratches easier than older gorilla glass to trade for drop resistance. So, it's up to you if micro scratches are something that might bother you down the line.

You can pay a (relatively) large chunk of money and get a UV bonded tempered glass screen protector, but they do require a lot of patience to put on or you can go with TPU film which have gotten a ton better in recent years.

I actually just used the 2nd in a pack of 3 Pixel 6 Pro TPU screen protectors on my 7 Pro because the screens are virtually the same.