Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Microplastics posted:

Goddamn and there I thought op was exaggerating :stonklol:

Israel is openly fascist and the parts that aren't are desperate to stay in power to avoid jail. Even if I wanted to exaggerate I'd only be a month ahead of whatever I said coming to pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

happyhippy posted:

Student Loan talk.

Ok, I got a mail a few days ago, saying I overpaid my student loan and they want me to contact them.
My student loans from 20 years ago.

Anyone heard of this ever happening? Or is it some new phishing new thing.
Nothing is in the mail, they are the same company (Thesis) but no details, no amounts or such.

I’m actually due to finish paying off my student loan shortly, they sent me a letter saying that I should switch to paying by direct debit (rather than having it taken from my paycheque) because apparently it can take a while for them to realise it’s paid off and I can end up overpaying this way. Stupid system but apparently it does happen, contact SLC directly and check with them.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
That means you will be paying post tax instead of pretax though!

I overpay mine at the moment and it's incredibly annoying that post tax by direct debit is the only option to do this.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Bastard Tax

Look at him, the bastard

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Might be legit: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-loan-overpayment-refund/

But best to check with them directly as mentioned above since phishing scammers might definitely see an opportunity there too.

Thanks, says its from 98 onward. I was halfway through the course, and only took out 2k then.
So not going to get big money back, but hey its better than nothing.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Here have an interesting video on Britain's best game show with one of the worst hosts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-7Wev90lw4

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
*hits play*

100 * 6 = 600

25 - 5 - 2 = 18

600 - 18 = 582

Ez

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Tesseraction posted:

See whereas a dog would have just face-bumped you repeatedly and maybe started whining but would not hurt you.

I honestly didn't consider it hurting me though, didn't even draw blood.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/feb/02/calls-grow-for-urgent-review-of-damage-done-by-wood-burning-stoves

I read the sub as "eradicate" and felt it was a bit harsh.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Keir's gonna kill the hell out of those kids

https://twitter.com/TheSinanKose/status/1620833824035999744?s=20

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

bessantj posted:

Here have an interesting video on Britain's best game show with one of the worst hosts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-7Wev90lw4

I'm not gonna watch 40 mins of that - I'm assuming not all numbers are solvable and that's trivial to prove, and that if you do all big or all small you're a oval office.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

happyhippy posted:

Thanks, says its from 98 onward. I was halfway through the course, and only took out 2k then.
So not going to get big money back, but hey its better than nothing.

Probably teaching granny to suck eggs but don't immediately phone on the number in the email in case it is a scam, Google the correct number.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Kid Killer Keir, also nicely abbreviates to something suitable

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

It's so funny how Labour are now "it's all the fault of the LAST Labour government"-ing *themselves*

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

So are they going to sneak up to your chimney with a smoke-o-meter before you get fined?

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Labour just hoping to tiptoe around so that their friends, the tories, aren't mean to them.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Cookie Cutter posted:

It's so funny how Labour are now "it's all the fault of the LAST Labour government"-ing *themselves*

It's been this way since the last great recession. They were all forced to look upon the destruction of their continuation of Thatcherism and by the time they were in opposition huge chunks of the Labour right were fully in board with blaming this on funding too many community centres. Whole reason Red Ed didn't win the 2015 election was because he had too many people in his ear telling him that David Cameron was right.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
Dog chat, I have spent my entire life in a rural area and in my 43 years I can only think of one dog owner that hasnt been an absolute oval office to their dog in my presence, so when my boys were little I absolutly did not trust anyone out with dogs, even on leashes to be able to controll it.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Base rate up again.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

I'm just imagining the complete inability to self-reflect it takes to make memes where you cast your side as the murderous vanguard of a fascist authoritarian regime

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

I find the media reporting over wood burners to be a fascinating insight into sensible centrist handwringing causes. It seems like every other day over the past few years the broadsheets have been contradicting themselves with a regular stream of articles in a way that looks like two warring astroturfing campaigns. The torygraph in particular, if you google 'telegraph wood stoves' it's almost a perfect back and forth between 'you should be buying these now' and 'they're terrible'. I'd love to know who is funding these and what their motivations are.

That grauniad one is particularly bad as usual, it's conflating a lot of details about older/newer stoves and not specifying the fuel types or moisture content, which makes it seem like they're hiding the details. My suspicion is they're aware a blanket ban would screw a lot of people who don't have access to, or can't afford cleaner methods of heating, but what they really want to say is 'pls ban woodburners in London, but not in my holiday cottage thanks'

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

New campaign - JUST STOP WOOD.

People could wear high vis jackets and block the entrance to supermarkets or something.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Mega Comrade posted:

That means you will be paying post tax instead of pretax though!

why does that matter? aren't tax and student loan repayments both calculated off gross? your base pay ain't changing if you switch from PAYE to direct debit payments even though there's a higher net amount hitting your bank account, so the amount of tax you pay ain't changing

there might be some benefits implications if you've technically got more net, though, i dunno

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

https://twitter.com/AmongUsGame/status/1620877346348879873

Rarity posted:

I'm just imagining the complete inability to self-reflect it takes to make memes where you cast your side as the murderous vanguard of a fascist authoritarian regime
"The fascist authoritarian regime are the sensible ones actually." - A Bunch of Wes Streeting Clones

StarkingBarfish posted:

I find the media reporting over wood burners to be a fascinating insight into sensible centrist handwringing causes. It seems like every other day over the past few years the broadsheets have been contradicting themselves with a regular stream of articles in a way that looks like two warring astroturfing campaigns. The torygraph in particular, if you google 'telegraph wood stoves' it's almost a perfect back and forth between 'you should be buying these now' and 'they're terrible'. I'd love to know who is funding these and what their motivations are.
it always seems to be heat pump guys vs wood stove guys.

Heat pumps are the genius invention that will save you a fortune and also they're the size of a double freezer and will not warm your home and will make you mam cry, wood stoves are the traditional way to save money that thousands of Brits are turning to that also give everyone asthma and cause forest fires.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

StarkingBarfish posted:

That grauniad one is particularly bad as usual, it's conflating a lot of details about older/newer stoves and not specifying the fuel types or moisture content, which makes it seem like they're hiding the details. My suspicion is they're aware a blanket ban would screw a lot of people who don't have access to, or can't afford cleaner methods of heating, but what they really want to say is 'pls ban woodburners in London, but not in my holiday cottage thanks'

i feel a lot of the elite media opinion falls into the rubric of “pls ban X in London, but not in my holiday cottage thanks”

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
...and in That America they're gearing up for another civil war over gas-burning stoves.

Related?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Rarity posted:

New Labour: "Are we the baddies?"

New New Labour: "Can we be the baddies?"

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's been this way since the last great recession.

Since 1983 at the latest I think

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Guavanaut posted:

https://twitter.com/AmongUsGame/status/1620877346348879873

"The fascist authoritarian regime are the sensible ones actually." - A Bunch of Wes Streeting Clones

Heat pumps are the genius invention that will save you a fortune and also they're the size of a double freezer and will not warm your home and will make you mam cry, wood stoves are the traditional way to save money that thousands of Brits are turning to that also give everyone asthma and cause forest fires.

There's a lot of that too, particularly the ones with pics of Boris under a tagline of 'this new tech will unlock cheaper heating thank you tories', but the fun part is that a heatpump plus a woodburner is probably quite a good combination both energy and climate-wise. On the few days a year it's cold enough here that a heatpump would struggle you'd probably also be using electricity with a higher fossil fuel footprint to run it. Supplementing it with some sustainably sourced wood on those days might be a net positive, though that's where how polluting they really are comes into play.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Destiny 2 has also done multiple warcrimes by making the moon a combat zone, and faking surrender in order to attack an enemy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Only Kindness posted:

...and in That America they're gearing up for another civil war over gas-burning stoves.
In an interesting inversion of

Jel Shaker posted:

i feel a lot of the elite media opinion falls into the rubric of “pls ban X in London, but not in my holiday cottage thanks”
the Americans getting most embroiled in the gas stove culture war hardly use them anyway.

https://twitter.com/xaviersonline/status/1614234822330974209

StarkingBarfish posted:

There's a lot of that too, particularly the ones with pics of Boris under a tagline of 'this new tech will unlock cheaper heating thank you tories'
lol where's the one OwlFancier did with the Tiberium?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-64499374

This may cause a few riots over the next few nights.

Point a gun at someone, pretend to fire, it actually fires, kills the person.
Then wait 35 years so you can live a good life, lie in court, and then get 3 years suspended.

Also announced:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-64495873

Looking forward to hearing how it will be delayed until 2048.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

In an interesting inversion of

the Americans getting most embroiled in the gas stove culture war hardly use them anyway.

https://twitter.com/xaviersonline/status/1614234822330974209

I have induction and while it's fast and responsive and all round pleasant to use. I gotta say I hate the glass/ceramic top and it being so fragile. I just can't abide poo poo that needs babying in use so our induction top is looking scratched like gently caress.

My parents have an old electric glass top and it looks new despite being from the 1990s. I dunno if theirs is just better quality or if I am that much of a caveman. I find myself wishing for something with a rugged metal top, but that wouldn't be possible with induction.

Might just be my cook top that's a low quality one too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

GDI promises to heat your home from space with ions.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's been this way since the last great recession. They were all forced to look upon the destruction of their continuation of Thatcherism and by the time they were in opposition huge chunks of the Labour right were fully in board with blaming this on funding too many community centres. Whole reason Red Ed didn't win the 2015 election was because he had too many people in his ear telling him that David Cameron was right.

You've just reminded me of the utter outrage perpetrated at discovering a community centre in Demonic Lefty Boro' of Haringey for Asian women called Hopscotch. With no irony whatsoever, the 'outraged' perpetrated the lie (I can't believe they honestly thought that!) that it was for women to learn hopscotch!
(Someone called Howard Knight around mid-1990s kicked it off, and was repeated by Littlejohn in the Heil in Feb 2011)

(Here's a link to it: https://hopscotchuk.org/)

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

I have induction and while it's fast and responsive and all round pleasant to use. I gotta say I hate the glass/ceramic top and it being so fragile. I just can't abide poo poo that needs babying in use so our induction top is looking scratched like gently caress.

My parents have an old electric glass top and it looks new despite being from the 1990s. I dunno if theirs is just better quality or if I am that much of a caveman. I find myself wishing for something with a rugged metal top, but that wouldn't be possible with induction.

Might just be my cook top that's a low quality one too.

think so, the neff one we have isn’t scratched at all? not sure how you would scratch it with a pot or pan though

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:discourse:

OwlFancier posted:

GDI promises to heat your home from space with ions.
Isn't Qatar investing in that for the UK?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

why does that matter? aren't tax and student loan repayments both calculated off gross? your base pay ain't changing if you switch from PAYE to direct debit payments even though there's a higher net amount hitting your bank account, so the amount of tax you pay ain't changing

there might be some benefits implications if you've technically got more net, though, i dunno

You're right, somehow I got it in my head that PAYE was based net not gross.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Rarity posted:

It's the same with the American Right. Like the MAGA guys were making memes about Trump having the Infinity Gauntlet to make all his "enemies" vanish...and they use the scene from Avengers Endgame where it all goes Pete Tong for the Mad Titan.
Like the couldn't even bother watching to the end of the clip they are sampling to make sure their guy won.