Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I think we've discussed this before, and I maintain that a warship having organic crew on hand for damage control is needed in emergencies when automated systems are prone to being knocked out or destroyed. You need autonomy, adaptable thinking, and fast reactions and centralized computer-controlled systems just won't cut it when the poo poo really hits the fan.

Soong-type androids didn't come on scene in any numbers until the Picard era's synths, and we saw how that got sabotaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

MikeJF posted:

But that's one of the things that faded away quickly as they moved into ongoing writing and preferred depicting crew with lots of duties and stuff.
I mean yeah, just writing wise having a lot of crew makes things a lot easier. Particularly if you want someone to randomly die in an episode but don't want to kill off a main cast member.

Oh god how creepy and dissolute would of the ship felt if it was just as large and still had all the long corridors but there was only like 4 people on board. Every episode would natural just feel like some weird horror show set in an impossible large future 90's haunted space hotel.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I think we've discussed this before, and I maintain that a warship having organic crew on hand for damage control is needed in emergencies when automated systems are prone to being knocked out or destroyed. You need autonomy, adaptable thinking, and fast reactions and centralized computer-controlled systems just won't cut it when the poo poo really hits the fan.

Damage control is a good excuse I've seen used in a few settings.

Obviously the real answer is you're telling a story so you need people, but it's fun to come up with something in-universe too.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Mooseontheloose posted:

How much problem can a dead android be?

Tune into Picard Season 3 in a few weeks to find out, probably!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

dr_rat posted:

I mean yeah, just writing wise having a lot of crew makes things a lot easier. Particularly if you want someone to randomly die in an episode but don't want to kill off a main cast member.

Oh god how creepy and dissolute would of the ship felt if it was just as large and still had all the long corridors but there was only like 4 people on board. Every episode would natural just feel like some weird horror show set in an impossible large future 90's haunted space hotel.

Well the idea wasn't that there'd be a small crew, just that most of the people on board aren't there for running the ship, but are scientists and technicians and things for the various places they visit and things they do.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

CPColin posted:

Tune into Picard Season 3 in a few weeks to find out, probably!

Ohhhh, I figured out the surprise plot twist! It's going to be a murder mystery, and it will turn out that Data faked his own death and is actually the killer!!!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Star Trek has never been about trying to realistically depict interstellar travel. This is pretty explicitly acknowledged in The Ultimate Computer where a fully automated Enterprise is stated to be outperforming what a fully trained crew could get out of her, and yet even Spock himself says "a starship runs on loyalty"

Star Trek is a space opera, which means it uses visual metaphors for terrestrial things (e.g. the aforementioned crews running around, ships banking as they turn in space, etc) to create both a more relatable and viscerally dramatic experience for the audience.

Not only is it metaphorical, it’s moral. It’s central to the concept of the show. “Risk is our business.” Openness to the possibility of bad things happening is the only way to develop human potential. Star Trek doesn’t want to portray our future as being the kind of society where mankind sits safely at home and all possible danger, tedium or trouble is put on the shoulders of machines.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

dr_rat posted:

The universe is a spheroid region 705 meters in diameter.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

dr_rat posted:

Ohhhh, I figured out the surprise plot twist! It's going to be a murder mystery, and it will turn out that Data faked his own death and is actually the killer!!!

Data misunderstands the concept of faking one's death and flies the ship into a black hole

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Well the idea wasn't that there'd be a small crew, just that most of the people on board aren't there for running the ship, but are scientists and technicians and things for the various places they visit and things they do.

Honestly for the mission their meant to be on, exploring new worlds and what not, that makes a hell of a lot more sense for the ship to be pack to the brim with scientists and labs.

Oh how different the show would of been if the background of 10-forward was filled with people in lab coats nerdily arguing about what not and occasionally bring out the space chalkboard that would obviously be there.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

dr_rat posted:

Honestly for the mission their meant to be on, exploring new worlds and what not, that makes a hell of a lot more sense for the ship to be pack to the brim with scientists and labs.

Oh how different the show would of been if the background of 10-forward was filled with people in lab coats nerdily arguing about what not and occasionally bring out the space chalkboard that would obviously be there.

I'm actually curious as to the breakdown of the crew composition. I mean, anytime you see a blue uniform, those are the nerds in lab coats. But I wonder if they're the majority of crew members with operations staff being second and command personal being third.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Grand Fromage posted:

Damage control is a good excuse I've seen used in a few settings.

Obviously the real answer is you're telling a story so you need people, but it's fun to come up with something in-universe too.

It's a pretty good excuse as well. Stuff breaks - especially in combat where other ships are actively trying to break stuff on your ship. Unless there's a Federation ship that can do that Borg regeneration thing, they need a bunch of people to be actively fixing the stuff that might get broken in a battle.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I've always thought that the Lore Butt just hanging out like that is hilarious.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Sash! posted:

:yosbutt:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sash! posted:

Lore Butt

Datass

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sash! posted:

I imagine that cleared BS&P easier than if they mounted it cock-forward

Big huge crews for damage control scans with Trek's naval influences. I mean how there's like twelve guys on a supertanker or a container ship, but hundreds on a modern cruiser a third their physical size.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Computers can be hacked. If the computer runs the ship and gets hacked or throws a glitch you’ve lost a ship.

Humans can also be hacked. Have a diverse crew. Much harder to hack humans, Bolians, the Klingon, the android, and the half-Vulcan at the same time.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

All about that Data Bass

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It's hilarious to me to think of how both Data and Geordi (The Mind's Eye) could be massive security risks in the wrong situation. Accidentally trigger Data's 'phone home' function and he could singlehandedly lock down the entire Enterprise just to return to Soong's planet. The problem is that taking measures to prevent those kind of situations would cut pretty severely into Data's autonomy, so I guess they just had to hope he wouldn't suddenly get his emotion chip activated or something else messing up his neural net.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Riker: can we replace the transporter officer with a robot? I don't like how that Irish guy is always trying to strike up a conversation.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

That'd be a mistake because O'Brien would be the hookup you'd need to get sexy alien women beamed straight to your quarters.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

davidspackage posted:

Riker: can we replace the transporter officer with a robot? I don't like how that Irish guy is always trying to strike up a conversation.

"I'm afraid not, Number One. Union rules."

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

bennyfactor posted:

Presumably there's a Lal shelf, somewhere.

I know the dry ice is more just for sci-fi effect, but I wonder if it means that there's supposedly something in Data's style of robit that needs to be refrigerated.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Phy posted:

I imagine that cleared BS&P easier than if they mounted it cock-forward

I'd never considered this as a possibility.

In realism terms, I'm surprised that the legs aren't a separate part from the pelvis, like how a GI Joe fits together.

In comedy terms, I'd prefer it if it had turned out that Lore was smooth like a Ken doll.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Sash! posted:

In comedy terms, I'd prefer it if it had turned out that Lore was smooth like a Ken doll.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

SlothfulCobra posted:

I know the dry ice is more just for sci-fi effect, but I wonder if it means that there's supposedly something in Data's style of robit that needs to be refrigerated.

its to keep Data's backup robot rear end nice and firm

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Feldegast42 posted:

its to keep Data's backup robot rear end nice and firm

He probably swaps out to the backup Crotch Segment every couple days. Like the queen in Return to Oz

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Captain, I believe Lore may have swapped penises with me.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
They explain all of this in the new animated series Star Trek: Lore Dicks

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Lore angrily asking Dr. Soong why he circumcised him.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Deleted scene from Descent where Lore has used Borg tech to graft three hundred extra foreskins onto himself

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Phy posted:

Big huge crews for damage control scans with Trek's naval influences. I mean how there's like twelve guys on a supertanker or a container ship, but hundreds on a modern cruiser a third their physical size.

I've not thought of "container ship vs. naval cruiser" but that makes a lot of sense. Hell, even in TOS they had completely unmanned cargo haulers.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

davidspackage posted:

Captain, I believe Lore may have swapped penises with me.

Only one way to find out: Riker!

Well, two, but Tasha is kinda indisposed.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

BonHair posted:

*Riker puts his hand on Data's shoulder* don't worry, my friend. We'll get to the bottom of this.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BonHair posted:

How does Riker know what Data’s dick looks like

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
New "Ghost Fucker" collection courtesy of Greatest Gen:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

skasion posted:

Not only is it metaphorical, it’s moral. It’s central to the concept of the show. “Risk is our business.” Openness to the possibility of bad things happening is the only way to develop human potential. Star Trek doesn’t want to portray our future as being the kind of society where mankind sits safely at home and all possible danger, tedium or trouble is put on the shoulders of machines.

That's a good point too; it's worth remembering the purpose of the starship is specifically to convey people to places.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Search for Spock makes a pretty decent argument against running ships on full automation honestly, even if that was something Scotty tossed together in a few hours of his spare time

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

davidspackage posted:

*Riker puts his hand on Data's shoulder* don't worry, my friend. We'll get to the bottom of this.

Picard looks down at the conference room table at the three android dicks tastefully displayed.

"Well Number One, it looks like we have a new mystery on our hands."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

CPColin posted:

Deleted scene from Descent where Lore has used Borg tech to graft three hundred extra foreskins onto himself

Ah, the Space Philistines episode. I found it tasteless, but not necessarily offensive.