Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
I've been watching a bunch of cartoons so I could read threads on /co/ in my spare time and so I can catch up on general topics on Youtube videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Frasier reboot is taking place in Boston.

I guess since they couldn't get anyone from the original cast back, they decided to set it in a location where they might be able to get Cheers alumni.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Its gonna be bad but maybe it will be ok? OG Frasier is one of my favorite shows

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Pennyworth was no joke a pretty drat fun show and getting 4 seasons out of it was a minor miracle, so I'm satisfied.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Timby posted:

I guess since they couldn't get anyone from the original cast back, they decided to set it in a location where they might be able to get Cheers alumni.

More likely I’ll check it out now

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Fraiser reboot doesn’t sound like the worst thing ever. The idea that Frederick takes more after Martin is pretty cool. I mean, it’ll probably turn out pretty bad, but it doesn’t SOUND awful.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Did anybody watch the American Gigolo series? I was kinda interested in that but didn't get around to it and have heard absolutely nothing about it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

bull3964 posted:

It ends with 10 Downing Street being hit with a tactical nuke after an army general with paranoia levels the same as Brigadier General Jack D. Ripper feels he's being ousted by the prime minister who in reality was just dosed by a horrifically psychotropic drug designed by the CIA that was laced into london's milk supply by a hippy that was later torn apart by his high followers.

Does any of this involve the creation of the Joker, or a fakeout involving the apparent creation of the Joker?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Does any of this involve the creation of the Joker, or a fakeout involving the apparent creation of the Joker?

It does not.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I have a bunch of wireless routers in my house sharing the same internet connection but with different network names (I haven't figured out how to make it broadcast as the one network). Presumably this means they have different IP addresses. Will this gently caress me with Netflix?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Looten Plunder posted:

I have a bunch of wireless routers in my house sharing the same internet connection but with different network names (I haven't figured out how to make it broadcast as the one network). Presumably this means they have different IP addresses. Will this gently caress me with Netflix?

It's about your external IP and all your routers are behind the same IP.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I wonder what’s going to happen to cable internet users with dynamic IPs

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Josh Lyman posted:

I wonder what’s going to happen to cable internet users with dynamic IPs

They'll lean heavily on service fingerprinting, but it's not popular to say that because it gives away the game and people are more used to being tracked by IP address and may take offense to anything that sounds more invasive

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

It ends with 10 Downing Street being hit with a tactical nuke after an army general with paranoia levels the same as Brigadier General Jack D. Ripper feels he's being ousted by the prime minister who in reality was just dosed by a horrifically psychotropic drug designed by the CIA that was laced into london's milk supply by a hippy that was later torn apart by his high followers.

I love how the writers of Pennyworth: The Origin of Batman's Butler seemingly go out of their way to ensure that this could not possibly - in any way or shape - be the origin of Batman's butler.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

SimonChris posted:

I love how the writers of Pennyworth: The Origin of Batman's Butler seemingly go out of their way to ensure that this could not possibly - in any way or shape - be the origin of Batman's butler.

From the reading I did about this show it seemed to me like it was yet another case of writers wanting to do their own alternate universe sci Fi show but being forced to slap an existing property on it but then they apparently went ahead and said "Psyche, this is ACTUALLY a prequel to V for Vendetta"? I guess maybe the studio forced them to do that after seeing how off the rails it went? Either way, this show seems to be Riverdale levels of crazy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

From the reading I did about this show it seemed to me like it was yet another case of writers wanting to do their own alternate universe sci Fi show but being forced to slap an existing property on it but then they apparently went ahead and said "Psyche, this is ACTUALLY a prequel to V for Vendetta"? I guess maybe the studio forced them to do that after seeing how off the rails it went? Either way, this show seems to be Riverdale levels of crazy.

Nah, this is by the Gotham people. It's exactly the show they wanted to make.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

Nah, this is by the Gotham people. It's exactly the show they wanted to make.

That explains everything.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

SimonChris posted:

Oh OK good, I was wondering how this show actually ties into Gotham, and sounds like it just didn't.

E: Gotham was so good

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Timby posted:

I heard they had to recast Maris. :(

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Tossed lobstah and Boston eggs..

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I just watched The Rig on Amazon yesterday. Anyone else saw this? Stars Ser Jorah Mormont as the manager of an oil rig with Ser Alliser as his crochety head grunt, when a strange fog rolls in and weird things start happening. Kind of a by-the-numbers Mysterious Disaster show, but it was a solid 7.5, mystery was interesting enough, characters were pretty good, and they gave you most of the answers by the end. It's only 6 episodes, so I watched the whole thing during a WFH day. It's a great background show -- there's nothing too subtle or deep going on that you can't look away from the screen here and there, it's just fun scenes to watch in a somewhat novel setting while you're mindlessly doing server backups or something.

Also has a pretty good ending that makes me kinda hope they get a season 2.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I watched it, it was decent but not great. Definitely a mix of The Thing and The Fog set on an oil rig. I guess if there's a season two there's set up for a bit of The Mist as well.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I thought it was good overall, but the ending was pretty awful.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I watched it at the urging of a pal of mine who lives in Edinburgh and I enjoyed it, but yeah, that final episode felt like it was written in less than a half hour.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why is the Netflix password sharing thing such a Big Deal? Like it seemed completely 100% obvious that having a “4 stream household account” did not mean that they intended 1 person to subscribe and then give access to people in 3 different states. The fact that so many people are pissed off by this imo completely reasonable access restriction is wild to me.

The common arguments I’ve seen are:

1. MY KIDS AT COLLEGE. Well poo poo, there like 18+ and probably living with other people. I’m sure they can figure it out and go in on a plan with their roommates like they already have to do with electricity and the like.

2. MY JOINT CUSTODY KIDS. Have the other parents get their own subscription?

3. I SHARE NETFLIX WITH FRIENDS WHO SHARE HBO WITH ME. Yeah you’re obviously been taking advantage of their lax password sharing in the pass and now you’re surprised they are acting on it?

I don’t get it.

For the record I get Netflix shared to me by a sibling, Amazon Prime by another sibling, and HBO by a friend. All of who live in different states. I’m using these accounts with the full understanding that it’s most likely not allowed though and could get removed at any moment but I’m not crying about it on Reddit.

Yeah it's a bunch of people who mooch off of other accounts mad that they're going to have to start paying and trying to attach harm by coming up with wild corner-case scenarios. I would advise all the people with legitimate concerns about this practice to show their outrage by cancelling their accounts that they already don't have. Or the people who might actually be affected by this like, idk, offshore drillers and Ted Kaczynski, could cancel their accounts as well. They won't.

https://twitter.com/quintabrunson/status/1620889136101212161

Yeah I don't envy the next new SW series that launches on D+

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 2, 2023

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1620868251113893889?s=20&t=Zateev6G9CtBR1XMDS2YHQ

I feel like Jenny Nicholson sums up the problem with Netflix's new approach in just two tweets.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If everyone is just going to effortlessly switch back to piracy, why all the teeth gnashing and rending of garments. YOU WILL REGERT THIS BECAUSE I WILL PIRATE poo poo, well get after it homie. Cancel your sub and do it.

If they didn't sell a single sub to a single college student who's using their parents netflix account, it wouldn't change their financials one whit.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

zoux posted:

If everyone is just going to effortlessly switch back to piracy, why all the teeth gnashing and rending of garments. YOU WILL REGERT THIS BECAUSE I WILL PIRATE poo poo, well get after it homie. Cancel your sub and do it.

If they didn't sell a single sub to a single college student who's using their parents netflix account, it wouldn't change their financials one whit.

Because me pirating doesn't help my elderly parents who has been using my Netflix. I can't download all their poo poo and share it on Plex with them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

zoux posted:

Until a bunch of dads say "I was checking my credit card statement. Does anyone still use this netflix thing? No? Ok, I'll cancel it."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My prediction: Netflix will report another sub increase next quarter.

I don't find "You will regret not allowing me to use your service for free" to be compelling consumer pressure, but maybe I'm wrong, we shall see.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
If someone like Taylor Swift complained about not being able to use Netflix due to being on the road too much, I wonder how many of her fans would follow suit and cancel as well.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Why is zoux caping so hard for Netflix in here

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm anti-caping whining twitter users who think that everything should be free.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You're consistently siding with a multibillion dollar corporation when it does things people don't like (and are also probably not going to work). It's ridiculous, and framing it as "people want free stuff" is remarkably lovely.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uh huh. This is kind of what I'm talking about, elevating a discussion about pricing for streaming services into the realm of moral character. I've already given a solution to people: cancel your subs. But they won't, they didn't after the chappelle fracas, and they won't after this.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You're the one who made it about moral character, genius, by framing anyone displeased with this as entitled

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

zoux posted:

I'm anti-caping whining twitter users who think that everything should be free.

Are the people complaining about legitimate use that will be blocked whiners? People in the military who deploy for longer than a month who lose access to their Netflix. Or people who end up on the road for longer than a month. Or children who have netflix on an ipad who go visit another parent for a summer who doesn't have netflix themselves.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's fine, if I can't possibly imagine any circumstance in which a legitimate user (at least, any legitimate user that can't be turned into two or more legitimate users) gets screwed over by this, they must not exist.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Are the people complaining about legitimate use that will be blocked whiners? People in the military who deploy for longer than a month who lose access to their Netflix. Or people who end up on the road for longer than a month. Or children who have netflix on an ipad who go visit another parent for a summer who doesn't have netflix themselves.

I think these are massively overstated concerns covering a fraction of the userbase.

Hey, idk why everyone is so mad about this, if you guys are right then Netflix - an evil multibillion dollar company - will face severe economic backlash that they absolutely cannot afford right now. It might even sink the platform!

Arist posted:

It's fine, if I can't possibly imagine any circumstance in which a legitimate user (at least, any legitimate user that can't be turned into two or more legitimate users) gets screwed over by this, they must not exist.

No I just don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

zoux posted:

No I just don't care.

Well, at least you loving admit it