Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tor_blackblood
Feb 14, 2012

Where death seems to dwell...
We really do need fewer locations (if any) that don't let you play your own deck, and more locations that put you in competition with your opponent a la Asgard and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

tor_blackblood posted:

We really do need fewer locations (if any) that don't let you play your own deck, and more locations that put you in competition with your opponent a la Asgard and such.

Best I can do is 4 rocks.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Hobo Clown posted:

A bit of both, yeah.

This is my advice:

The Sean posted:

For each deck:
Phase 1 - literally ignore snaps and cubes; no pain for failures; focus on learning how to pilot the deck; finish every game to the end
Phase 2 - only ever Snap on turns 3, 4, or 5; finish every game to the end; memorize the pain of failures to get a gut feeling for "yeah, I know I shouldn't have finished that game"
Phase 3 - have enough experience to know when to Snap hard or fold fast

When to move on to the next phase is entirely subjective.

I could be oversimplifying it but: if you are hesitant to Snap then you either 1) don't know how to play your deck or 2) your deck doesn't work and you should get a feel for what cards to swap out 3) you netdecked* a good deck but it doesn't work for how your brain processes things--everyone is different. For #2 pick a card to swap out. Every time you pull your "new" card ask yourself if you wish you had the one you swapped out instead; do this for like 20 games consistently before making another change again.

Edit: For point 1, order of cards being played matters and I see so many people mess this up.
Ex: Ironheart gives three random cards +2 power; if you only have three cards on the board, play Ironheart first along with one/two other cards in the same turn then those three previously played cards are guaranteed to get the buff--doing that in reverse is an unpredictable mess.
Ex: If you can play Scorpion, Widow, and Iceman on the same turn the proper order in most cases is Widow -> Scorpion or Iceman -> Whoever's left over. This gives the best chance of a card that is -1 power, costs 1, blocks card draw.

*no shame in netdecking

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Most of the mastery in the game is not piloting your deck but simply recognizing other decks before their turn 6 play. I think the most important thing is to just accept that the game is a random mess by design and other than basic mistakes like misplays and not paying attention to stuff there are very few actual inflection points that matter in a typical match. This is not a grand strategic game and much like the poker comparisons people love, individual hands are pretty binary and don't matter much, but knowing when to bet or fold is what matters over time.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Bottom Liner posted:

Most of the mastery in the game is not piloting your deck but simply recognizing other decks before their turn 6 play. I think the most important thing is to just accept that the game is a random mess by design and other than basic mistakes like misplays and not paying attention to stuff there are very few actual inflection points that matter in a typical match. This is not a grand strategic game and much like the poker comparisons people love, individual hands are pretty binary and don't matter much, but knowing when to bet or fold is what matters over time.

Yeah, that unpacks what I laid out. Just seeing what you deck won't work against after dozens of instances enables you to just bounce since it's useless to try.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The reason to complain in this thread is that you always win afterwards. It's weird but it works.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

:yeshaha:

Not out yet but I love this.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

Push El Burrito posted:

The reason to complain in this thread is that you always win afterwards. It's weird but it works.

I complained here that no one spiderman points back at me, and the next day a bunch of people did, so it works.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'm not going to spider man point every time my opponent and I both play agent13 on turn 1. Two Prof X's on an empty lane or two aeros into fisk tower will absolutely get it tho.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

it’s required to Spider-Man point every time you opponent and your both drop your first thanos stone on the same turn

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

It took me an hour and a half to get 4 wins. Super excited about playing more of this bullshit.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, Patriot Ultron is limited by this location. Sure they can drop 4 drones there buffed, but if you don't see that coming a mile away and don't have an answer you shouldn't be sticking around.

It may not do well, but 4 games in a row I matched against the deck and in 3 of them I never drew my Enchantress or Killmonger. I'm bailing on 6 if I don't have an answer, but it's just a boring deck.

Also, Gambit should not be able to destroy a card if you run out of cards in hand. I stuck around for the Wong-Mystique-Gambit combo once and gently caress you.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Walla posted:

It may not do well, but 4 games in a row I matched against the deck and in 3 of them I never drew my Enchantress or Killmonger. I'm bailing on 6 if I don't have an answer, but it's just a boring deck.

Also, Gambit should not be able to destroy a card if you run out of cards in hand. I stuck around for the Wong-Mystique-Gambit combo once and gently caress you.

Yeah, I get that it can. I get why it can. It definitely should not be able to just clear an entire board.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

doingitwrong posted:

Another amazingly bad location set.

Poor opponent played Hobgoblin on the Pegasus turn, then Shuri on Luke's Bar, then we both skipped a turn into Typhoid Mary on the last turn into my Shang Chi.

A little late but Moon Girl is a great card for Luke's Bar. If her on reveal fills your hand, she won't get bounced

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If your opponent drops Wong mystique and you have no answer you deserve to lose 8 cubes for staying

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

The Sean posted:

This is my advice:

Appreciate it. I've been playing about a month and my CL is somewhere in the 800s. I'm pretty good at recognizing the play they're going to make and know whether or not I can compete with it. I get trounced constantly by cards I don't have access to, so I try not to sweat the cubes and focus on dailies & weeklies.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

goferchan posted:

A little late but Moon Girl is a great card for Luke's Bar. If her on reveal fills your hand, she won't get bounced

!

This had not occurred to me.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Push El Burrito posted:

I complain an everyone jumps down my throat :(

I might actually make it to 70, which would be nice but I don't really care about the reward. DeathWave has been doing some work lately. Tried it again because even if I don't get a good kill progression I can get Death or SheHulk to drop on the Island, and even if it doesn't come up it's just a fun deck to mess with.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
While I understand that locations are random, they really should add an if/then to it's randomness. Like "IF a location is generated with card restrictions, THEN the chances of getting another restrictive are greatly increased".

I like randomness but sometimes it creates really unfun combinations.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

^^^^^ "reduced" you mean, I think?

Hobo Clown posted:

Appreciate it. I've been playing about a month and my CL is somewhere in the 800s. I'm pretty good at recognizing the play they're going to make and know whether or not I can compete with it. I get trounced constantly by cards I don't have access to, so I try not to sweat the cubes and focus on dailies & weeklies.

Cool. Then you're on the right track. Keep your head up.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 2, 2023

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Scrap Dragon posted:

Does anyone have a link to those datamined variants?

I just realized I have a variant for every card in my Patriot deck except the man himself and it's pretty slim pickings. He only has four variants, two of which are pixel and chibi which don't count, so it's basically down between the winter variant or a hover hoverboard variant

dude I literally had this exact loving thought last night, went and looked at his variants cuz I don't love the base one. the pixel and chibi are both kinda lame, but w/e I had decided the base one was good enough cuz no way i'd ever get the hoverboard one that is actually cool

just unboxed it from a season cache, holy smokes

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I really need to break my habit of playing it out to the bitter end.. Knowing when to retreat is important, but actually following through is more important. I keep thinking "Well maybe they're bluffing.." and they rarely are.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Got my fourth pool 4 card, Titania. I think I can work with that, I was able to use Attuma as a Red Skull-lite with Armor/Zero/Dracula but in the latter case I was usually hoping that Dracula would pull Infinaught.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

New Leaf posted:

I really need to break my habit of playing it out to the bitter end.. Knowing when to retreat is important, but actually following through is more important. I keep thinking "Well maybe they're bluffing.." and they rarely are.

Yeah, I have rarely--if ever--seen a bluff for T6.

edit: vvvvvv lol that's awesome

The Sean fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 2, 2023

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

The Sean posted:

Yeah, I have rarely--if ever--seen a bluff for T6.

I got one — the person snapped and kept spamming “snap?” and roped me until the very end and retreated.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I don’t know if this is common info or not but never retreat, always select retreat if opponent does.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Dropping Goose on unrevealed lanes has been fun today on account of the featured location.

edit: otoh I'm playing goofy decks and handing out cubes

The Sean fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 2, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

After never going above 80 all season I'm at 82 after two dozen games with Galactus. I must be really good at this deck.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Bottom Liner posted:

I don’t know if this is common info or not but never retreat, always select retreat if opponent does.

If you really want to optimise, also hold out before doing either retreat so. I’ve had a few games where I was considering if I should retreat when my opponent ended up doing so and I got the cube.

I don’t actually follow this advice myself.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Just had a game where district X gave me a gambit to blow up my opponent's lockjaw (and I only had prio because of a 50/50), then gave me a rogue to use on my opponent's randomly generated iron man. You can really see how this game is just like poker.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

No Wave posted:

Just had a game where district X gave me a gambit to blow up my opponent's lockjaw (and I only had prio because of a 50/50), then gave me a rogue to use on my opponent's randomly generated iron man. You can really see how this game is just like poker.

I mean not being able to choose a deck to bring and it largely being up to the luck of the draw actually sounds more like poker, yeah.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Waffleopolis posted:

:yeshaha:

Not out yet but I love this.

weird perspective, looks like his right shoulder flat out isn't there

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Peak Marvel Snap achieved for the day. Won a lane with Orka.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Snap first turn every game.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

buffalo all day posted:

One of these is obvious (he posted the answer so no cheating) but the other was a bit surprising (though it makes sense)

https://twitter.com/glenn_jones_/status/1621208074634825728?s=46&t=HK2QPPy5qeA1xK70Cj45Yw

I'm guessing Galactus and Negative or something like that?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Dravs posted:

Click on the dudes name, not the post, and you'll see.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Dravs posted:

Galactus and thread favorite control sera!

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Fate Accomplice posted:

weird perspective, looks like his right shoulder flat out isn't there

Some of the data mined stuff looks glitchy on Snap Fan, probably because of how the layers for the 3D effect are implemented.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Dunno if this was supposed to happen but I let Murderworld kill Wolverine & Sabretooth. Wolverine came back but never leveled up no matter how many times he died, while Sabretooth just vanished and never returned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

New Leaf posted:

Can you share your deck? Sounds like a good time.

its a very rough draft that i just threw together for the location so theres some stuff that im not sure is really doing anything, like angela (although she is nice to supplement power of subsequent plays given most of the cards are low power i suppose).

it has gotten me a lot of very stupid wins just by doing things like interfering with plays in lanes, or the storm juggernaut one two punch, along with the previously mentioned wave/aero synergy with the new location and move cards

originally i wasnt going to bother refining it much but i think i might after the featured location changes anyway, just because there are so many locations now that hinder play in them and this deck would still be able to capitalise on them

e: for anyone who might be visually impaired its

Nightcrawler
Angela (might swap out)
Daredevil
Morph (might swap out)
Storm
Juggernaut
Wave
Spiderman
Aero
Vision
Heimdall
Magneto

e: i pulled out angela and morph in favour of sera and absorbing man (who i opened today)

quite stretched out fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 3, 2023