Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Bill should've used the FN FAL he had on the gun wall.

Other than that gun nerd nitpick, man, what ab episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

ded posted:

A video game gets a show made from it that rules, while foundation gets something that people only watch to see how badly they gently caress it up.

Foundation’s narrative format isn’t very compatible with a television series whereas TLOU was already pretty close.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

navyjack posted:

Dark horse pick: Control. Hard to make a full series tho.

A prequel before the events of the game would absolutely work and be relative easy to make. It could rip the X-Files structure wholesale. They can spend each other episode doing monster of the week and building up the Hiss metaplot or whatever.The FBC is just a office building set, and even the supernatural aren't too expensive.

The dev studio obviously wants to make movie/TV too so they'd totatlly be down.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Perhaps, but Control is as much a metatextual commentary on videogames, where the Service Weapon marks the Director as an individual that is capable of and obligated to perform limitless violence against the "mutated" remnants of your coworkers. That thing only works in a videogame format, where you can draw attention to the absurdity of it even as you blast away at hordes of humanoids with weird glowly red bits on them.

Also it needs the main character narrating everything in second person. Towards You. The Audience.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
A pot of these adaptations are going to be prequels. The Bioshock one probably will be, the Horizon one definitely is. Uncharted was too, despite also riffing on the fourth game.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

Apparently Netflix is already signed on to do a Horizon series. The showrunner is Steve Blackman, who's also the showrunner for The Umbrella Academy (which I've never seen). I have no idea how this will go.

Oof

It's bad

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

But at least we'll see some Aloy danceoffs

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

I could see Disco getting a TV adaptation (and apparently Amazon was trying to make one before poo poo went all to hell at ZA/UM) and it being good, but I feel like no matter what you did it would be lesser than the game, even if they let the original creative team play any role in it, which I doubt anyone would be willing to do even outside the current circumstances.

I could totally see a Life Is Strange original series that keeps the game concept but tells an original story, but that's not really the same thing. Those are all basically "young adults character-focused drama with super powers" and are nearly a tv show already.

It'll never happen, of course, but they should let the Cruelty Squad guy do a Cruelty Squad show.

What happened to the game studio?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Shageletic posted:

Essentially a corporate takeover by the people who funded it. The original creators got kicked out. There's a lawsuit now on who owns the IP since it grew out of an tabletop RPG made by an art collective.

So the studio ended in the most appropriate way possible considering EDs themes.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
"apocashitstorm: netflix announced today that they weren't gonna go ahead with a third season"

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Shageletic posted:

One of the investors sold himself a picture of concept art for a dollar from the company vaults and then secretly bought it back from himself through the company for the entire price of the company, which he then used to buy out most of the other investors and fire most of the creative team while claiming full ownership ovet the IP as a result, even though the IP predated the company.

He then sold the show rights to Amazon and started putting out ads for monetization experts to help with the development of Disc Elysiums sequel while vaguely accusing the original creative team of a litany of "bad stuff" without anything concrete.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 2, 2023

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Shageletic posted:

Slowly being crushed as pawns of capitalism, most likely doomed. An awful turn of events, but kind of a poetics reflection of their game.

It’s kind of a complicated ongoing legal affair that seems unlikely to turn out well for the original writers and involves (new) investors stealing from the studio in a manner that may turn out to be legally permissible via technicalities and… it’s kind of hard to tl;dr but Disco’s founding writers got fired by said new investors and are unlikely to regain control of the Disco IP. But they are fighting for it!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

One of the investors sold himself a picture of concept art for a dollar from the company vaults and then secretly bought it back from himself through the company for the entire price of the company, which he then used to buy out most of the other investors and fire most of the creative team while claiming full ownership ovet the IP as a result, even though the IP predated the company.

He then sold the show rights to Amazon and started putting out ads for monetization experts to help with the development of Disc Elysiums sequel while vaguely accusing the original creative team of a litany of "bad stuff" without anything concrete.

Jesus christ

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

GlyphGryph posted:

Really fits well with the “humans are the real monsters” theme of shows like this.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Bugblatter posted:

Well, the HZD show is intended to be set primarily before the apocalypse with only a few post-apocalyptic vignettes. The post-apocalypse probably doesn't need that much effects work if it's kept small. Just shoot it around Sedona and add some robot dinos in a couple scenes.

I think it's gonna be bad for other reasons though.

Authorial intent is often criticized for having mixed messages or elements that contradict or undermine the intended theme. Death of the Author generally takes it as given that unintended messages or signs will appear in a work, and given that they are subconscious, coincidental, or subjective, they will inherently be prone to disharmony with each other. This is not viewed as a flaw, but a feature of the method of reading.

On the other hand learning about how the apocalypse happened was the most interesting part of HZD (and why I didn’t care for HFW story) so if they’re going to make a show on it, that’s the way to do it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Make an unreal tournament as an ultra-violent sports show/league filled with egos

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Solaris 2.0 posted:

On the other hand learning about how the apocalypse happened was the most interesting part of HZD (and why I didn’t care for HFW story) so if they’re going to make a show on it, that’s the way to do it.

That's not how they're going to do it though. We're gonna get a season of Faro's origin before we even see him designing a robot.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Rageaholic posted:

Apparently Netflix is already signed on to do a Horizon series. The showrunner is Steve Blackman, who's also the showrunner for The Umbrella Academy (which I've never seen). I have no idea how this will go.

aw gently caress yeah, she gonna fight with kendo sticks and poo poo

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Shageletic posted:

Oof

It's bad

I thought they did a good job of adapting the Umbrella Academy, certainly in terms of making the various characters into real people and the plot more coherent. In the graphic novels there's a huge amount of high speed chaotic nonsense going on which must have been a nightmare to untangle.

Arcane is another great video game adaptation, though it's more just taking a handful of the interesting characters and the game world and building a great story around them.

https://i.imgur.com/kteH11C.mp4

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
if they do the horizon show chronologically i'm gonna have an aneurysm

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
If it doesn't get to the dolphin-mulching within 20 minutes then what is even the point?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, I think we're agreeing with each other.

And I think we are too and I'm just being unclear.

I mean that you can't knock the show for your weird death-of-the-author interpretation not making sense. e.g. if you decide that Charlotte's Web is an allegory for The Dreyfuss Affair, you can't critique E.B. White for not making Wilber Jewish enough, it's on you to figure that out.

I'm responding to people saying that the message is X and then saying, "Well, if X is the message, then they should've done Y," as an authorial critique.

It's the difference between death of the author and just calvin ball.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Basically. It's jut really weird to be like 'THIS is the author's CLEAR INTENT' as an objective, factual statement based on a subjective reading of the material, and then using that assertion to springboard into criticisms about the writing, etc.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

abelwingnut posted:

it seems safe to say the show has been a success thus far. ratings keep going up, most critics rave about it, hbo renewed it, etc. and whenever something new and 'fresh' like this comes out, there are copycats.

so, not being a huge gamer, i'm curious: what other games could you see translating to tv that are this well acted, this atmospheric, this tense. etc? and obviously it doesn't have to be a horror/adventure game. i'm just trying to think of what games might get this treatment and turn into a sprawling drama.

i think there are some types of games that obviously wouldn't. anything that lacks a story/is all about the gameplay wouldn't work. think mario kart, mario party, etc.

then you have games with significant story but lots of configuring and what not that...might be very difficult to make work. like, a final fantasy 7 show. so much of the game is fighting and working with materia and what not. but there's enough story and side plots to make something work?

visual novel games are almost always anime and i don't know if any have the potential to be so accessible to a western audience? have we reached that point?

horror really does seem like the best fit for tv. just imagining a silent hill show...man, that could rule.
A serious answer to this is EYE Divine Cybermancy. Imagine a show shot like Bladerunner 2049 with the dialogue of Deadwood.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Stoatbringer posted:

I thought they did a good job of adapting the Umbrella Academy, certainly in terms of making the various characters into real people and the plot more coherent. In the graphic novels there's a huge amount of high speed chaotic nonsense going on which must have been a nightmare to untangle.

Arcane is another great video game adaptation, though it's more just taking a handful of the interesting characters and the game world and building a great story around them.

https://i.imgur.com/kteH11C.mp4

We have very different tastes, I thought the first season of the show didn't really know what it wanted to do (other than dance montages) other than a slam crash of a season finale (which I thought was done significantly better in the comic book).

Arcane I dropped out after a couple episodes because I didn't like the characters or dialogue.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Justin Credible posted:

Basically. It's jut really weird to be like 'THIS is the author's CLEAR INTENT' as an objective, factual statement based on a subjective reading of the material, and then using that assertion to springboard into criticisms about the writing, etc.

Exactly.

You signed up for this by ignoring authorial intent (which is valid), so you can’t use it to make statements about intent. The intent is gone, you got rid of it.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Shageletic posted:

Oof

It's bad

I wouldn’t call UA prestige TV, I think it is good and very very far from bad. It is better than most TV marvel adaptations I have seen.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

kanonvandekempen posted:

The probability of this happening is somewhere between never and zero, but I'd go crazy if they made Bloodborne into a TV series or movie.

this is actually in preproduction with HBO

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Moltke posted:

this is actually in preproduction with HBO

Eh? You have a source on that?

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Xiahou Dun posted:

I guarantee you that a dozen different versions of that crept in and were culled during various stages of production but I think they made the right call. I’m with you, I want to see that too, but I can’t imagine where it could go without just murdering the flow of the narrative and the tone. Melodrama and action are flavors that are hard to match at the best of times and there’s just no space in the narrative for it.

But I’ve heard vague rumors of there having been a longer cut and maybe we’ll get lucky. That’d be even better, right? We’d still get to see it because it sounds rad and it doesn’t need to fit in anywhere.

Eh I think they could have slotted in a minute or two of badassery for Bill easy enough, just something instead of shooting from the middle of the road he was using spots he'd previously made into cover. I think they did Bill a teensy bit dirty by showing his gunfight tactic to be total rear end.

And don't get me wrong, i get that's a fairly asinine criticism I'm making, and I don't think the episode is actually worse for not having more action, I just think it would have been satisfying to really show us the value in Bill's way of thinking, that he was able to keep his partner safe and dominate a gunfight because he'd gone through this scenario a million times.

Also yea apparently there was a 2 hour cut originally and I would love to see it. Hilarious that they accidentally made a TloU movie about tertiary characters.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 2, 2023

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

ded posted:

A video game gets a show made from it that rules, while foundation gets something that people only watch to see how badly they gently caress it up.

The funny thing about Foundation is the best parts are the same stuff they added, like the clone emperors.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Tumble posted:

Eh I think they could have slotted in a minute or two of badassery for Bill easy enough, just something instead of shooting from the middle of the road he was using spots he'd previously made into cover. I think they did Bill a teensy bit dirty by showing his gunfight tactic to be total rear end.

And don't get me wrong, i get that's a fairly asinine criticism I'm making, and I don't think the episode is actually worse for not having more action, I just think it would have been satisfying to really show us the value in Bill's way of thinking, that he was able to keep his partner safe and dominate a gunfight because he'd gone through this scenario a million times.

Also yea apparently there was a 2 hour cut originally and I would love to see it. Hilarious that they accidentally made a TloU movie about tertiary characters.

Wow, they really could just release a standalone side-movie about it without too much effort then. They should do that.

I personally found in terms of how that action scene was presented was the raider doing a happy-spin dance in front of a still-blowing flamethrower for like 2 seconds was worse, it made me laugh.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Bugblatter posted:

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt14610240/?ref_=ext_shr_lnk

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Bugblatter posted:

ehh just a rumor i guess, but i want to believe

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Moltke posted:

ehh just a rumor i guess, but i want to believe

I’d love to believe it too, but there hasn’t even been a licensing sale, the furthest a show could be is internal development at Sony. Certainly not preproduction at HBO.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Volte posted:

We haven't even seen how anyone else in the world lives yet outside of the QZ so if we see a thriving community of people, will you complain that the show is contradicting itself?
No. I already addressed this exact question.

Tiggum posted:

This reading is not contradicted by the text, but I don't think it's fully supported either. To go one way or the other I think we'd have to see an example of some group of people who are doing well because of community. So far the only community we've seen or heard of has been terrible and the only people doing well were living in their own private fortress. The fact that that made them vulnerable in other ways only suggests that neither option is ideal; we haven't seen what the authors' vision of the ideal solution would be (yet).

Bugblatter posted:

Spoilers for anyone who hasn’t played either game
This is the non-spoiler thread. People who want spoilers for the game can get them elsewhere.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah but also you can’t critique something for inconsistent theming and have death of the author. At that point you just have a poo poo interpretation.
You absolutely can.

kanonvandekempen posted:

I mildly enjoy foundation, but then I've never read the books.
I have read the books, and I liked the show. But I thought the books were just ok, and I don't really remember a lot of what happens in them. Also, I generally don't care if adaptations make changes from the source material - even drastic changes.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The backstory in HZD was cliche and boring. The only good thing about the game is shooting robot dinosaurs, which probably wouldn't make a very good basis for a TV show.

ilmucche posted:

Make an unreal tournament as an ultra-violent sports show/league filled with egos
So, pro wrestling?

Xiahou Dun posted:

I'm responding to people saying that the message is X and then saying, "Well, if X is the message, then they should've done Y," as an authorial critique.

Justin Credible posted:

Who is doing that?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hey can you make a single post that isn't wall-to-wall hot takes

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I don't know why I assumed otherwise but Linda Rondstadt (who I had never heard of before this episode) is still alive.

Probably not in the show's universe, though. Actually, I hope they don't but I would laugh if they did something like Tom Petty in The Postman.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Tiggum posted:

This is the non-spoiler thread. People who want spoilers for the game can get them elsewhere.

Thus the tags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

uvar posted:

I don't know why I assumed otherwise but Linda Rondstadt (who I had never heard of before this episode) is still alive.

Probably not in the show's universe, though. Actually, I hope they don't but I would laugh if they did something like Tom Petty in The Postman.

She has Parkinson's Disease so you shouldn't expect to see her in the show.