Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Pungry posted:

I would think the best-case scenario for Canucks fans would be making the playoffs and winning the cup, but alas I don't fully understand how people cheer for their teams.

Easy to make this post when youre a fan of 31 teams. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Pungry posted:

I would think the best-case scenario for Canucks fans would be making the playoffs and winning the cup, but alas I don't fully understand how people cheer for their teams.

You don't fully grasp the concept of curses, but all Canucks fans recognize that a cup won't ever actually happen. All we ask is to feel optimistic for a bit.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Mike Works posted:

I just want Boston to beat Toronto in 7 games, then for Buffalo to win the cup on the back of Tage Thompson, then the Canucks get Bedard in the draft, Aquilini discovers that the best thing he can do to impress his critics and more importantly his papa is to sell the team to Mark Cuban, who hires Mike Gillis in a hands-off role, who brings in Linden and the Sedins, and the team rebuilds over the next 4 years retaining Petterson and Hughes and no one else from their current roster, and then THIS IS THE BEST CASE SCENARIO FOR CANUCKS FANS RIGHT NOW GOOD LORD

yup. they have the sedins right now but everything else 100%

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

heehee posted:

yup. they have the sedins right now but everything else 100%

They got demoted under Rutherford and seemingly do nothing now

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

I mean, one of those things isn't like the other, Nylander playing at exactly one speed and urgency level is who he is and something that coaching and linemates can account for, Marner having meltdowns/losing his hand-eye when the pressure gets turned up is a bit more of an issue.

Yeah it's just kinda funny and a bad look is all.

Tbh though I thought Toronto played pretty well last year and could have won that series.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

ThinkTank posted:

Let the Leafs win the cup. Rip the "no Leafs cup since 67" and “No Cup in Canada since 93" band-aids off in one go. Sure their fans will be insufferable for a while but they've been so downbeat for so long I figure they're pretty much the most palatable Canadian franchise to do it at the moment.

Actually this. I've been a ninja Leafs fan ever since I've lived in toronto except not so much that I didn't heartily laugh at their playoff misfortunes. That said how could you not like Matthews, Nylander and especially Marner. Are they still in the habit of picking up aged UFAs to dad them like you get a goat to keep a horse company?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
https://twitter.com/nyp_brooksie/status/1620793247525380096?s=46&t=PJjPbie1yiAPCJD9wGIJPg

Larry Brooks, after a year and a half of being the biggest "Kane to NYR" cheerleader, has now put out this article about how it's not a good fit.

I REALLY hope this is Rangers management telling him to write this article because they've decided to not pursue Kane and they need to sell that to a fanbase that still largely thinks Kane is the piece that will put the Rangers over the top.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ginette Reno posted:

Tbh though I thought Toronto played pretty well last year and could have won that series.

Boy, where did I hear that one before?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

eXXon posted:

Boy, where did I hear that one before?

there was respect in the handshake line this year that wasn't there before

i'm sorry i'm being very lazy this month

larkko
Oct 4, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

https://twitter.com/nyp_brooksie/status/1620793247525380096?s=46&t=PJjPbie1yiAPCJD9wGIJPg

Larry Brooks, after a year and a half of being the biggest "Kane to NYR" cheerleader, has now put out this article about how it's not a good fit.

I REALLY hope this is Rangers management telling him to write this article because they've decided to not pursue Kane and they need to sell that to a fanbase that still largely thinks Kane is the piece that will put the Rangers over the top.

quote:

I wonder whether Milan Lucic, if available and on an expiring contract, has enough left to be a menacing fourth-line agitator?
Oh jfc Larry just shut up and retire.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Ottawa fired their AHL coach, nice work Pierre!

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

it’s weird because it seemed like Mann was very well-liked and thought of as a candidate for the next NHL coaching job in Ottawa but eh?

Weird rear end org right now someone needs to buy them asap

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

OldSenileGuy posted:

This has Glen Sather's name written all over it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Rangers need defense more than RW. If/ when Lindgren goes down, they're in big trouble.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Rangers need defense more than RW. If/ when Lindgren goes down, they're in big trouble.

I know a big tough defenceman that Brooksie would love! Remember, you can't teach size. He's yours for free!

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Washington probably shouldn’t do much because they are also-rans who don’t have a legit shot at winning it all.

That said I’m surprised that speculation is that they want a defenseman. Their defense is largely fine, it’s their forwards that stink this year. Marcus Johansson is second on the team in goals with 13. Through 51 games in a higher scoring NHL that’s really bad!

I think they just need to stand pat and do a retool this offseason. Maybe get rid of Oshie and Mantha. I love Oshie but the dude is broken and he says he can barely walk nowadays.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Being serious, Boeser would be a really good fit with the Caps. For all the crap he's taken this year he's on pace for 60pts and has looked considerably better this past month. If you stop thinking of him as a pure goalscorer and instead as a complimentary winger he's still pretty decent. He's a perfectly adequate third guy on any line. Defensively he's fine to good and offensively he's inconsistent but an improvement over Mantha or Sheary. I imagine he'd end up filling a similar niche to what Vrana did with the Caps a few years ago.

Boeser is overpaid for sure, but with retention and/or taking back a throw in contract like idk Lars Eller there's a workable deal there. The return wouldn't be much, and I think Boeser would do well as a cleanup guy on the Caps powerplay.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/clahanna/status/1621518698203975683?s=46&t=K8vhCw6xN-cAlM3260zblw

What in the world

Free pre-scout report for any other NHL teams: cycle the puck in their zone for 20 seconds and wait for 3 Senators to attack the puck carrier

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/Capitals/status/1621538844800606209?s=20&t=vWK73nySmjPWiZBhN3RVHQ

Very good, hit a home run with this. Good cap hit and a good player.

Now we need to offload Mantha somehow.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 3, 2023

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
The Rangers should trade for Vladimir Tarasenko

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Mike_V posted:

Speaking of Tarasenko, how the hell did he make the All Star Team instead of Kyrou

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

https://twitter.com/Capitals/status/1621538844800606209?s=20&t=vWK73nySmjPWiZBhN3RVHQ

Very good, hit a home run with this. Good cap chit and a good player.

You could do worse than getting a 2nd line center in UFA without having to overpay, that's for sure

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Mike_V posted:

Sure. Blais and a second who says no?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Tank should net a first rounder. Same for RoR. In theory Toews, Kane, and Larkin. Meier, at least one. Then you have like Monahan, Domi, Sundqvist, and Barbashev going for who knows what.

Rambling aside there are a fair number of rentals that, in theory, should retrieve 1st rounders, but with NTC or NMCs being in play along with nearly all the teams being capped out who knows what returns will be. Of course it should make for a fun lead in to the deadline, but won't. Buffalo should get aggressive with it 'cause why not? And Horvat could hit the market again for added lols

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So the NBA has some known poo poo talkers, does the NHL have some dudes who are world class chirpers

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So the NBA has some known poo poo talkers, does the NHL have some dudes who are world class chirpers

Morgan Reilly, king of the “rag it”

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Esa Tikkanen is probably the GOAT chirper. Mostly because he talked in some weird half-Finnish, half-English that nobody understood what he was saying, only that he was talking poo poo.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Burrows and/or Kesler used to put in the research needed to really poo poo talk a guy... gawd the Canucks used to be really unlikable.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Being serious, Boeser would be a really good fit with the Caps. For all the crap he's taken this year he's on pace for 60pts and has looked considerably better this past month. If you stop thinking of him as a pure goalscorer and instead as a complimentary winger he's still pretty decent. He's a perfectly adequate third guy on any line. Defensively he's fine to good and offensively he's inconsistent but an improvement over Mantha or Sheary. I imagine he'd end up filling a similar niche to what Vrana did with the Caps a few years ago.

Boeser is overpaid for sure, but with retention and/or taking back a throw in contract like idk Lars Eller there's a workable deal there. The return wouldn't be much, and I think Boeser would do well as a cleanup guy on the Caps powerplay.

I don’t know that I agree with this. Washington is in dire need of top-end talent and not just another complementary player. Outside of Ovechkin Washington’s top 6 forwards are easily among the worst of all playoff teams/fringe teams. Oshie and Backstrom are old and broken, Kuznetsov is in la la land most of the time, Mantha never gelled, Strome is fine but is a 2C playing higher than he should be, Wilson is fine but certainly not elite, etc.

I don’t think Boeser really does much for them. If they are going to target an expensive player might as well go all in for Timo Meier and extend him. He’s a guy who can actually anchor a scoring line.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Cartoon Man posted:

Very good, hit a home run with this. Good cap hit and a good player.

good deal for Strome, he's been nice for the Caps

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The NHL had a trash talker so good he created his own language for it in Tikanese.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Misanthrope posted:

Burrows and/or Kesler used to put in the research needed to really poo poo talk a guy... gawd the Canucks used to be really unlikable.

The Canucks are still really unlikeable, just mostly to their own fans

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Trash talking or just being an rear end in a top hat? Because there are a few of the latter.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Mind_Taker posted:

I don’t know that I agree with this. Washington is in dire need of top-end talent and not just another complementary player. Outside of Ovechkin Washington’s top 6 forwards are easily among the worst of all playoff teams/fringe teams. Oshie and Backstrom are old and broken, Kuznetsov is in la la land most of the time, Mantha never gelled, Strome is fine but is a 2C playing higher than he should be, Wilson is fine but certainly not elite, etc.

I don’t think Boeser really does much for them. If they are going to target an expensive player might as well go all in for Timo Meier and extend him. He’s a guy who can actually anchor a scoring line.

Yeah the Caps are lousy with complimentary wingers. Sheary, MoJo, Milano, Mantha, Wilson. Boeser before his injury might have worked, but not Boeser now. Which is why it's funny The Athletic says Toews makes sense. Ah yes, another center.

Tarasenko would be fun for the Russian factor. IDK, I don't think they should be giving up assets given their prospects. They should offload Eller too if they can.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Furnaceface posted:

Trash talking or just being an rear end in a top hat? Because there are a few of the latter.

Lmao every time I see this

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

Lmao every time I see this

That one and the stealth water into the glove are the two times I genuinely laughed at something he did because they are just so petty and childish but also hilarious and harmless.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I can’t believe that none of Marner’s teammates like him enough to have a frank discussion about this hat style, cause he’s been trying it for years and never made it work

https://twitter.com/yanoforsure/status/1621623121772945408?s=46&t=hpRKo2HnITHxJC9KHGFwBQ

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Does he coalesce out of a cloud of smoke at country crossroads, offering artists musical talent?

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity
He's trying to buy the Red Car to build a freeway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Dirty Burger posted:

Speaking of Tarasenko, how the hell did he make the All Star Team instead of Kyrou

Kyrou might be like, Laine level bad at playing defense. And he seems to not be adjusting.

Also, everyone knows it’s Tarasenko’s last year with St. Louis , so familiar name plus swan song = story.